• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
From a reddit post from today, but I've seen similar posts on reddit the last couple of months.

Civilization 6 has been prone to crashing on the Xbox Series X for almost 2 months with no fix in sight. There is zero chance that the developers don't know about this issue given the commotion about the issue and yet they remain slient.

Multiple threads, forum posts, angry store reviews and tickets, and yet they still have the audacity to remain radio silent AND put content for this game on sale.

At this point if the devs won't do anything, when will Microsoft step in and disable Civ6 from the store?

Personally, I bought the 'Anthology Upgrade Bundle' on sale August 31st last year(I just checked the date), and I have had this problem from day one. With any of the two expansions installed, the game starts crashing continuously after turn 50-100. If I keep pressing on, it gets to a point where the game will crash after every second or third turn, making it literally unplayable. If I uninstall the expansions and just runs the vanilla version, it doesn't crash at all.

As the reddit post says, there's no chance 2K isn't aware of this widespread issue, but still the DLC keeps being sold and going on sale on the Xbox Store. How the hell is this acceptable in any way?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, I thought about buying it for a friend. I wanted to try playing against one another or something but I quickly came to my senses. I didn't want to inflict such a miserable and frustrating experience on them like that.

Then I thought about buying it as a joke.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's an Xbox One game isn't it?
If it's crashing on the new machine, then that's a Microsoft BC team issue isn't it?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I played all night long after an update last week. I thought it was all good. I mentioned to my wife about what a relief it was and not 15 minutes later it crashed.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting the ps5 version (well I bought the ps5 because of that game at first), since that console is in my office. Despite thinking the series x version might be a tiny bit better.

Seems I got the better version. Loads fast and looks sharp. Better than both my switch and pc versions

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird. I've been playing with expansion civs and haven't had any issues. Maybe 1 or 2 crashes over 40 hours. I didn't realize how lucky I was. Hopefully this gets fixed.

OP
OP
Leclair

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I think the game is installed on external SSD as far as I remember. I could send you my settings when I get home if you like. Romans, 4 civs, Pangaea normal speed don't remember the rest.
That's nice of you, but I spent the better half of a day back last year trying different settings, civs, and scenarios and nothing helped. Only way I'm not getting the constant crashes is by not using anything from the two expansions. Even if I play all vanilla rules and maps, but just picking one of the DLC-civs, the crashes will be there.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
That's nice of you, but I spent the better half of a day back last year trying different settings, civs, and scenarios and nothing helped. Only way I'm not getting the constant crashes is by not using anything from the two expansions. Even if I play all vanilla rules and maps, but just picking one of the DLC-civs, the crashes will be there.
Yeah it's not your job to do this stuff. Devs should be on it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
You're not alone OP

It's shocking, and it got worse around June when some kind of general update happened to all Xboxes.

Game has always been crashy, but it got a lot more egregious recently. There are lots of Reddit threads out there with people reporting a spike in issues.

At least one shows 2k / Fireaxis straight up ignoring reports. It might be an issue with the platform but they doesn't excuse them not acknowledging the issue and saying they are working with MS to fix it.

I gave up on the game myself recently and nearly started a thread. I wish I had now. Hopefully yours pushes someone into action.

Feb 27, 2019
Firaxis doesn't develop the console games, Aspyr does. And their track record on Civ console ports is…not great unfortunately.

I hope Firaxis takes these ports in-house sometime!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I always assumed that because both systems use the same OS and architecture that it al ran natively and is no different from say running a windows game on a more powerfull PC.

Nope. It didn't happen for free but there is no doubt that the work they did for the ecosystem made it much easier.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this has been fixed, and has been fixed for the past 3 weeks or so. It was an issue with the Xbox OS. I can't link it right now but there was a thread on reddit and trueachievements explaining it.

OP
OP
Leclair

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Seems like this has been fixed, and has been fixed for the past 3 weeks or so. It was an issue with the Xbox OS. I can't link it right now but there was a thread on reddit and trueachievements explaining it.
Great. Thanks for the update. I'll install again tonight and give it a try.
Then I shall rule the world once again. Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Dawn. Treacherous as the Seas. Stronger than the foundations of the Earth!

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news, I've wanted to fire this up again but couldn't stand the thought of the constant crashing