• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Firstly, this thread is about content that isn't already a lock for the platform. Stuff such as Capcom, Fromsoft, and other developers that rarely skip the console (Outside special cases like exclusives) aren't the focus here. There's different varieties of Japanese/Asian support and AAA or Shonen Anime Titles don't seem to be an issue for the Xbox ecosystem even from the start of this gen.

----------------

In 2018, it seemed like there was some good strides made with Japanese Output. Primarily with Sega and Namco who both brought over titles that might've skipped the system before hand (Valkyria Chronicles 4 & Tales of Vesperia: DF). Granted, there were still odd omissions here and there but it seemed like things would iron out.
We're now past E3 and it feels like there was a sudden 180 on the supposed "support" we would've expected by now.

Major Asian Titles at Xbox E3
  • Tales of Arise
  • Elden Rings
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
  • CrossfireX
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Might have missed one of the indies, but this puts us at 5 out of 60 titles.

Xbox One Titles from Square (Not developed by Western Teams)
  • Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered
  • Romancing Saga 3
2 out of 6 titles from the show (This number counts only titles released/releasing on both PS4 & Switch and not all titles from the show)

-------------------

The big titles that feel like they wouldn't have happened without a trip to Japan are PSO2 and Tales of Arise. I feel pretty confident that everything else at this E3 would've hit the Xbox regardless. Fromsoft & DBZ don't really skip the system unless there's exclusivity in play and CrossfireX just seems like MS banking on a potential PUBG style hit.

Square's E3 show was a big surprise after all of the talk of "trips" however. While I didn't expect much to begin with, you can tell there's either been no talks or not very good ones. Square seems to be fully invested in Xbox as a western experiences only console outside huge name JPN IPs (RS is an exception to the rule). I'd argue, this is likely the studio Phil needs to sit down with most and really work with to see what their concerns are.

Both of these lineups aren't meant to be taken as "If these games are coming to X platform, they should be on Xbox as well" but more to show just how much more work needs to be done in this field. It's always such a sad state to see where we're now compared to say the first half of the Xbox 360's life cycle.

It's easy to say "Well Japanese games don't sell on Xbox" but if said titles never come to xbox that'll never change.

Personally, i'm unsure what MS can really do at this point outside perhaps throwing money at Japanese Indie titles, pushing more developers to try the digital only route for their titles, or purchasing a developer located in Japan (Who would be open to it) to act as a bridge to relations there across the board. Despite my criticisms in this thread, I do appreciate the work Phil and the rest of the team has put in so far, but I would still like to see more (Even as a multi-platform owner).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized Trials of Mana wasn't announced for the XBO either. kinda weird to hear a UE4 title skipping the system

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is never going to do well there. Thanks for trying to stay positive Phil.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They basically only have the backing of Bamco and now Sega. From these past three years all of their exclusive E3 Japanese games trailers were mostly from them.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Who secured all those exclusive JRPGs in the 360 era
Cuz there were like a lot

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SACRED PILGRAMAGE!

FF7R might be a timed exclusive or something, who knows. Otherwise, all the other SE stuff makes sense to skip the console imo... Bamco is one of the few JP publishers with content that appeals to the Xbox audience (DBZ, Dark Souls, and I guess this particular Tales since it's geared towards the West more than ever).
Who secured all those exclusive JRPGs in the 360 era
Cuz there were like a lot
They had some sick incentives for JP developers back in that era, though the system ended up being sort of abused, where they'd make the Xbox version, wait a year, then release an enhanced port on other consoles. It's why you saw a ton of exclusive VNs, bullet hell shooters, and smaller JRPG/DRPGs (Experience Inc and their ilk).

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
No point in making games for a console that ain't got a footprint in the territory.

I feel like most of Microsoft's efforts on securing Japanese third party support are going to focus on next-gen at this point.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
More and more Japanese games are selling better in the West than they do in Japan. Instead of trying to appeal to the Japanese audience (which hasn't worked), Phil should partner with devs who make games that do well in the West.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Phil can try moneyhatting everything but the demographic for Xbox ain't JRPG's, which SE has plenty of. I'm sure you're going to say "multiplatform benefits the consumer". Yeah it does but what's point of porting something to different demographic, that might lead to low sales. I think the only way phil gets more JRPG's is if he buys a development studio or forms one himself. The only way

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't MS publish the desired Japanese games on Xbox? It seems like that's been Nintendo's strategy over the last couple years with success.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that next gen's specs along with Xbox's new PC efforts help bridge that gap.

Like, no reason to not put Yakuza on Xbox if they made it work on PC, even if it's just digital. Fuck, put it on GamePass

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Firstly, this thread is about content that isn't already a lock for the platform. Stuff such as Capcom, Fromsoft, and other developers that rarely skip the console (Outside special cases like exclusives) aren't the focus here. There's different varieties of Japanese/Asian support and AAA or Shonen Anime Titles don't seem to be an issue for the Xbox ecosystem even from the start of this gen.

----------------

In 2018, it seemed like there was some good strides made with Japanese Output. Primarily with Sega and Namco who both brought over titles that might've skipped the system before hand (Valkyria Chronicles 4 & Tales of Vesperia: DF). Granted, there were still odd omissions here and there but it seemed like things would iron out.
We're now past E3 and it feels like there was a sudden 180 on the supposed "support" we would've expected by now.

Major Asian Titles at Xbox E3
  • Tales of Arise
  • Elden Rings
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
  • CrossfireX
Might have missed one of the indies, but this puts us at 5 out of 60 titles.

Xbox One Titles from Square (Not developed by Western Teams)
  • Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered
  • Romancing Saga 3
2 out of 6 titles from the show (This number counts only titles released/releasing on both PS4 & Switch and not all titles from the show)

-------------------

The big titles that feel like they wouldn't have happened without a trip to Japan are PSO2 and Tales of Arise. I feel pretty confident that everything else at this E3 would've hit the Xbox regardless. Fromsoft & DBZ don't really skip the system unless there's exclusivity in play and CrossfireX just seems like MS banking on a potential PUBG style hit.

Square's E3 show was a big surprise after all of the talk of "trips" however. While I didn't expect much to begin with, you can tell there's either been no talks or not very good ones. Square seems to be fully invested in Xbox as a western experiences only console outside huge name JPN IPs (RS is an exception to the rule). I'd argue, this is likely the studio Phil needs to sit down with most and really work with to see what their concerns are.

Both of these lineups aren't meant to be taken as "If these games are coming to X platform, they should be on Xbox as well" but more to show just how much more work needs to be done in this field. It's always such a sad state to see where we're now compared to say the first half of the Xbox 360's life cycle.

It's easy to say "Well Japanese games don't sell on Xbox" but if said titles never come to xbox that'll never change.

Personally, i'm unsure what MS can really do at this point outside perhaps throwing money at Japanese Indie titles, pushing more developers to try the digital only route for their titles, or purchasing a developer located in Japan (Who would be open to it) to act as a bridge to relations there across the board. Despite my criticisms in this thread, I do appreciate the work Phil and the rest of the team has put in so far, but I would still like to see more (Even as a multi-platform owner).
Jawmuncher 100% agree. I find Square's decision making with Xbox particularly weird in how inconsistent it is.

"You can have Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered and ports of every other Final Fantasy game ever but you're not getting the FFVII Remake."

"You can have the port of Romancing SaGa 3 but you're not getting the remake."

"We want to bring more Dragon Quest to the West and get a bigger fan base for it in the West." *doesn't release Dragon Quest on the most Western console*

I mean, DQXI I can understand you thinking that would be niche in the West but Dragon Quest Builders for example would sell extremely well on Xbox based on sales for Minecraft and Portal Knights.

Trials of Mana and Oninaki not coming to Xbox personally shocked me particularly because one is an Unreal Engine 4 game (very easy to port to all platforms) and the other is an action RPG (and KH3, FFXV and NieR Automata all sold extremely well on Xbox meaning they should know action RPGs will sell well at this point).

How does Square even make these decisions? Flip a coin on every title and if it's heads, it's on PS4 and Switch but if it's tails, comes to all three? The decisions are wildly inconsistent and don't seem to follow any pattern.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
[...]
[...]

Last gen Xbox had several high-level Japanese exclusives and they all sold poorly. A lot of Japanese games that come out for the console simply don't sell as well as on Sony/Nintendo machines.

I understand what you're trying to say, but people who buy Xbox over PS have basically proved over and over that they don't care about Japanese games.

On top of that, Xbox being practically nonexistent in Japan doesn't help. Sadly, that will never change. Even Playstation is not as popular as it used to be.

"You can have Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered and ports of every other Final Fantasy game ever but you're not getting the FFVII Remake."

I'm pretty sure Sony has a deal with SE there. The game might eventually get to Xbox, but you can't compare a "simple" remaster like the FFVIII one to something like FFVIIR. The development cost of the former on all consoles are probably a small fraction of the cost of the latter on PS4 only.

Last edited:

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not like a couple trips will all the sudden bring about tons of support when Japanese games have historically sold poorly. Getting Crossfire, PSO2 and Tales of Arise is pretty impressive. Not sure why those don't count.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Phil can take all the Japan trips in the world, as long as xbox gamers continue to not buy these niche Japanese games, these niche Japanese games won't come out on Xbox.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox is still missing some key titles but it has made some great strides in the past few years. Phil has also recently explicitly said that a purchase of Japanese studio would be something they would like to find. Easier said than done but they are really putting in the effort. It took enough time to get their western studios up and running it will of course take even longer for them to develop a significant strategy in the East.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Phil can try moneyhatting everything but the demographic for Xbox ain't JRPG's, which SE has plenty of. I'm sure you're going to say "multiplatform benefits the consumer". Yeah it does but what's point of porting something to different demographic, that might lead to low sales. I think the only way phil gets more JRPG's is if he buys a development studio or forms one himself. The only way
See also: The beginning of the 360 generation when Microsoft moneyhatted several JRPGs, but none of them sold particularly well aside from Vesperia, which was among a number of said titles that were ported to the PS3 with more content later on down the line, anyway. Even Blue Dragon's only continuation came through a couple of DS titles.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
The new tales looks good and phantasy star seems to be huge among people that like japanese rpgs. I think he did well.
Out of square's output they are hughely missing FF7R, which I believe won't be announced on other platforms because of sony's deal. The others, although a shame that aren't avaliable on xbox, aren't that big names right now.
However, I hitnk he did miss on franchises I was expecting to arrive on xbox like yakuza, shenmue and persona. He should be focusing more on single player games from japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom and Koei Tecmo throw Xbox pretty good support too but neither had much new at E3.

Konami has Contra: Rogue Ops and PES 2020 though.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Last gen Xbox had several high-level Japanese exclusives and they all sold poorly. A lot of Japanese games that come out for the console simply don't sell as well as on Sony/Nintendo machines.

I understand what you're trying to say, but people who buy Xbox over PS have basically proved over and over that they don't care about Japanese games.

On top of that, Xbox being practically nonexistent in Japan doesn't help. Sadly, that will never change. Even Playstation is not as popular as it used to be.

I'm pretty sure Sony has a deal with SE there. The game might eventually get to Xbox, but you can't compare a "simple" remaster like the FFVIII one to something like FFVIIR. The development cost of the former on all consoles are probably a small fraction of the cost of the latter on PS4 only.
You have some points, but we have data that shows for example that action JRPGs (real time combat) such as Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and NieR Automata sold well on Xbox One as they were on the top of Xbox's Top
Paid Games Chart for a long time, yet Oninaki (which is also an action RPG) isn't coming to Xbox One and there is no deal there because it's on PC, PS4 and Switch. Explain that decision to me.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Phil can take all the Japan trips in the world, as long as xbox gamers continue to not buy these niche Japanese games, these niche Japanese games won't come out on Xbox.

I definitely understand that sales of titles can vary wildly and some trends haven't been as good as they could be. But as of late, there hasn't even been that many JPN titles to point at and go "See, no one buys this stuff on xbox". Despite my thread, i'll be the first to say that something like say Disagea would probably do terrible. However, my viewpoint is more from an old Phil quote that i'm probably misremembering. Which was more or less along the lines of "Those titles you wonder why they're skipping Xbox, that's what I want to change".

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those games are all being made either primarily for a Japanese audience or Japanese/Western audiences are equally important. Since Xbox One is basically non-existant in Japan, and the western market for most of those games is on Switch/PS4....I mean it's pretty self-explanatory. The big-name anime titles will come. The big-name franchises (Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Tales this time) will come. But don't expect anything else. Phil could take 100 trips to Japan, unless he's handing out thousands of free Xboxes while he's there, it wont change the market realities.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I would like to see more representation on Xbox as well, (despite not currently owning an X1).

I think it's way too early for any pay off regarding Phil's recent trip to Japan.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Square Enix japan be like
kid20rc1z.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have some points, but we have data that shows for example that action JRPGs (real time combat) such as Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and NieR Automata sold well on Xbox One as they were on the top of Xbox's Top
Paid Games Chart for a long time, yet Oninaki (which is also an action RPG) isn't coming to Xbox One and there is no deal there because it's on PC, PS4 and Switch. Explain that decision to me.
You cannot compare Oninaki to KH3, Nier Automata, or FFXV. Those are all AAA games from acclaimed franchises, two of which were already on Xbox before. Oninaki is a budget game through and through. It's already an uphill battle getting Xbox players to buy Japanese titles, but the AAA ones from big name franchises with high production values can make some headway. Oninaki is none of those things. Same reason you don't see Falcom games hitting the platform.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Those games are all being made either primarily for a Japanese audience or Japanese/Western audiences are equally important. Since Xbox One is basically non-existant in Japan, and the western market for most of those games is on Switch/PS4....I mean it's pretty self-explanatory. The big-name anime titles will come. The big-name franchises (Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Tales this time) will come. But don't expect anything else. Phil could take 100 trips to Japan, unless he's handing out thousands of free Xboxes while he's there, it wont change the market realities.

I definitely don't see the Market in Japan changing. At best it might be able to go back to the 360 days. I just figure with more and more sales of even Japanese-centric titles coming from the west, you would think some developers and publishers might try and branch out even if it's digital-only. Hell, we even have titles that released on Xbox in Japan and then skipped the console when they came to the west which is absolutely the strangest thing to me.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Bandai Namco support has been pretty good lately, much better than their Switch support I would say. Other than that, it's been inconsistent, some companies release some games but they don't release others (Sega releasing VC4 and PSO2 but not the games from Yakuza Team or Sakura Wars for example).

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think the reality is that Microsoft went through many years where Japanese games weren't even near the forefront for them and that can't have been healthy for the performance of most of the Japanese games they got during that time. They did a great job in the OG Xbox and early 360 era, but from mid 360 up until just a few years ago they hadn't really given reason for Japanese devs to believe supporting the console was as worthwhile as PlayStation or Nintendo systems (or even Steam). Say what you will about modern Sony's focus on the west, but they've always continued to support and promote a huge range of Japanese games. Microsoft will have to put money down to really fix the problem any time soon imo.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Well, the solution seems obvious to me.

Phil Spencer should simply move to Japan, thus gathering the attention of all Japan's development houses. And blam, Xbox suddenly becomes the weeb console of our dreams.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I definitely understand that sales of titles can vary wildly and some trends haven't been as good as they could be. But as of late, there hasn't even been that many JPN titles to point at and go "See, no one buys this stuff on xbox". Despite my thread, i'll be the first to say that something like say Disagea would probably do terrible. However, my viewpoint is more from an old Phil quote that i'm probably misremembering. Which was more or less along the lines of "Those titles you wonder why they're skipping Xbox, that's what I want to change".
I do actually think the situation is getting better, just not with Square Enix. Most of the Japan publishers we normally see (Capcom, Koei Tecmo, SEGA/Atlus, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, etc) weren't at E3 this year and many of the games we saw during Xbox's E3 conference (with the exception of a few) are games we saw during last year's Xbox E3 conference. The Japan publishers really didn't have much to show and the only one that did have a significant amount of titles was Square Enix (and the situation has always been bad there with regards to Japanese titles).

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a huge get as is Tales of Arise, which are both games that would've skipped the platform if released a couple years ago. I think everyone (all publishers) are holding onto their cards because next gen is coming holiday 2020 (with the exception of Halo Infinite which they didn't show until AFTER officially announcing Scarlett and that it would be launching with Scarlett, not only that, it's also cross-gen) and they can't announce next gen titles without the consoles actually being announced with a price and date. If you look at every E3 conference, we really didn't see any games releasing past Summer 2020, virtually no games being released in Holiday 2020 or early 2021 and most of the games we saw this year were already announced last year. So I think next gen has a lot to do with it, we should look to see if next gen Xbox Scarlett Support is better with that.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
We're getting PSO2 in the West after all this time, I'm satisfied haha

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I don't know what you are talking about honestly.

Bandai Namco was skipping Xbox and after Phil's visits they started releasing all their major/anime games multiplatform on Xbox, they are even skipping Switch with a lot of titles that are releasing on Xbox.

SE started to release more games, games that didn't come before to Xbox like FF remasters and NieR Automata, though SE obviously is a strong partner with Sony and they play favors for them all the time.

Even Sega started considering Xbox with titles like Valkyria Chronicles.

before Phil's visits the situation was much, much worse, he wanted the major Japanese games to come to Xbox and they are coming now.

is this enough? of course not enough for someone like me who play more niche Japanese games that still don't release on Xbox, besides Xbox has 0 original content built specifically for it from Japan.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The they get the big ones. Thats important. Who knows how many people will be defaulting to ps because of the dozens of snaller ones. Can't be a huge number but take into account word of mouth and network effect and it might be significant. I don't know if there's any way to know for sure.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Things take time to get cooking.

KH3 was a massive hit on the XB1. It's not all lost.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I still wonder what did those trips ever achieve for Xbox. They couldn't even get at least an announcement that the remaster will arrive later to Xbox. Every Xbox timed exclusive were immediately clarified by Sony or somebody else (Tomb Raider, PUBG, etc) ... but they can't even at least get people to gossip about this. Major Nelson himself said that PSO is not exclusive but they just wanted to have fun.

Can't even get the kingdom hearts collection. Damn ... we didn't get Eternal Sonata as backwards compatible.

That's why Sony does not care about E3. Microsoft does a great job promoting games that will sell better in PS4 anyway. They even pay millions to celebrities to make people excited and say "I can't wait to play this on PS4".

Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft. They should focus on what they do best, Game Pass, the best thing of this generation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just to round them up, here's the coming JP developed Xbox One lineups from the major JP pubs:

Bandai Namco
  • Code Vein
  • Digimon Survive
  • Elden Ring
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
  • Tales of Arise
Capcom
  • Monster Hunter: World Iceborne
Koei Tecmo
  • Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Konami
  • Contra: Rogue Corps
  • eFootball PES 2020
Level 5
  • n/a
Marvelous
  • n/a
Sega
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
Square Enix
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Oninaki (unconfirmed, popping up on some EU retailers?)
  • Romancing SaGa 3