• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
I think we'll see some Japanese studio acquisitions relatively soon. At some point, Phil Spencer must have realized that he can build bridges with partners in Japan and get more Xbox support, but nothing he does will bring over certain titles like a Yakuza or Persona for example. Waypoint suggested there was a rumor of Microsoft looking into buying Japanese teams/publishers around the time of last year's E3 and now we have fresh comments from Phil in favor of the idea. The best way for Xbox to secure consistent Japanese content is to produce it itself. It's just a matter of when in my opinion.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also, do we have any idea how XV and KH3 sold on the system? I imagine KH was pretty dire, but XV should have been 'okay'?
Most of these games are being released on PC, so, for Microsoft, it's kinda the same thing as being on Xone.
... Zuh? They're not getting anything from those sales (and the first party games they'll sell on Steam will give them a way smaller cut too).
What OS do you think those PCs are running?
wtf

Oct 19, 2018
I don't understand some of these publishers going through the localization effort, and then refusing to capitalize on it by putting it on as many platforms as they can. In most situations, it feels like they're just leaving money on the table - especially Square Enix with a game like Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Xbox owns Minecraft, the direct inspiration for this game, and they don't think there's an audience for it on Xbox? Thankfully I have a Switch and will be able to play it there, but I'd much rather play it on my X. I understand it for some games, but on the whole it feels like Japanese publishers have been short sighted with their approach to Xbox.

I applaud Phil for trying to turn it around but there's only so much he can do; maybe if Scarlett starts out hot next generation we'll start to see a high level of support again.

Last edited:

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I don't know what you are talking about honestly.

Bandai Namco was skipping Xbox and after Phil's visits they started releasing all their major/anime games multiplatform on Xbox, they are even skipping Switch with a lot of titles that are releasing on Xbox.

SE started to release more games, games that didn't come before to Xbox like FF remasters and NieR Automata, though SE obviously is a strong partner with Sony and they play favors for them all the time.

Even Sega started considering Xbox with titles like Valkyria Chronicles.

before Phil's visits the situation was much, much worse, he wanted the major Japanese games to come to Xbox and they are coming now.

is this enough? of course not enough for someone like me who play more niche Japanese games that still don't release on Xbox, besides Xbox has 0 original content built specifically for it from Japan.
People arguing more games are bad now? Compared to the competition it is lacking.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
FF7 should not have been a timed exclusive.

Unless some there is some behind the scenes support from Sony, they're doing basically jack shit to support the marketing of the game. Its not getting the kind of push we saw with big exclusives likeTLoU,GOW Spiderman etc

I feel like they're missing out on some extra cream with the Xbox audience especially when an X version could be amazing.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Just to round them up, here's the coming JP developed Xbox One lineups from the major JP pubs:

Bandai Namco
  • Code Vein
  • Digimon Survive
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Elden Ring
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
  • Tales of Arise
Capcom
  • Monster Hunter: World Iceborne
Koei Tecmo
  • Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Konami
  • Contra: Rogue Corps
  • eFootball PES 2020
Level 5
  • n/a
Marvelous
  • n/a
Sega
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
Square Enix
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Oninaki (unconfirmed, popping up on some EU retailers?)
  • Romancing SaGa 3
I don't think Oninaki is coming to Xbox (for now anyway). Their E3 conference which just happened over a week ago had a trailer for Oninaki saying PS4/Switch/PC and Xbox One wasn't on that list. I have no idea why you wouldn't list a platform you know your game is coming to. I mean Square Enix was even listing Stadia as a platform for some of their games.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Free Windows 10. MS gets nothing if someone buys a game off Steam.

Not really. MS is still gathering user data and probably selling that for a lot more than they'd make with steam.
C'mon, MS has been making more year over year. They're doing something right.

OT. It's sad that MS isn't breaking into the Japanese market. But has there been a major profitable product on the scale of fortnite, pubg, WoW, etc from Japan? Besides FF14, which I don't know how well it's earned.

Also, how well do US games sell in Japan?

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
When games like Sekiro sell 80% on PS4 and 20% on XB1 (physical sales) in UK, which is the best market for Xbox in EU and there's not a huge gap between HW sales (link), it makes me wonder how smaller games do overall. Maybe it's just not worthy to put them there.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the only JP publisher lacking really on Xbox is Square tbh.

I can kinda understand why the new Dragon Quest isn't on there but the fact Dragon Quest Builders 2 isn't coming to Xbox One is still an incredibly baffling decision to me, like Square is legitimately leaving money on the table for no reason.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Not having Dragon Quest on Xbox just kills me.

Also, the Ni No Kuni remaster not getting porter over is a major drag.

Would love to support some of these Japanese games but I need something more than DBZ fighters and FF ports.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What about when the titles did come and nothing changed?

Would depend on which titles you're talking about. Since there's going to be vast differences depending on which ones we're talking about.
I think some people are confusing my thread as "All JPN titles should be on Xbox" which is far from what i'm saying.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is never going to do well there. Thanks for trying to stay positive Phil.

Y'know, it's not necessarily about Xbox in Japan, but rather Japan on Xbox. Consoles with more diverse lineups tend to do stronger by grabbing every niche they can - And largely, the JRPG niche has been PlayStation exclusive. That's a decent sized audience which historically always buys PlayStation because they know they'll be able to get JRPGs there (and other genres largely only produced by JP devs)

The more Phil can widen the Xbox brand's appeal away from just being "The Shooterbox", the better. The more games of different genres and niches Phil can secure on Xbox, the wider the potential sales demographics they can reach anywhere, not just Japan.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread feels more motivated as a "why does Xbox suck so much" rather than a "as an Xbox fan, this is something I've noticed" kinda post.
It's very clearly evident as to why things are the way they are, and you even say as much, OP.

Personally, i'm unsure what MS can really do at this point outside perhaps throwing money at Japanese Indie titles, pushing more developers to try the digital only route for their titles, or purchasing a developer located in Japan (Who would be open to it) to act as a bridge to relations there across the board. Despite my criticisms in this thread, I do appreciate the work Phil and the rest of the team has put in so far, but I would still like to see more (Even as a multi-platform owner).

Like, dawg, at some point you're just yelling into the void.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who likes Japanese games no way I would ever buy Xbox for Japanese games. As many trips as he takes the Xbox will never have all the smaller games.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It's not there yet, but Tales, Phantasy Star, and all of the Final Fantasy remasters is a substantial improvement.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Oninaki is coming to Xbox (for now anyway). Their E3 conference which just happened over a week ago had a trailer for Oninaki saying PS4/Switch/PC and Xbox One wasn't on that list. I have no idea why you wouldn't list a platform you know your game is coming to. I mean Square Enix was even listing Stadia as a platform for some of their games.
I think you're probably right (and both of Tokyo RPG Factory's previous games also skipped only Xbox) but the retail listings were odd so I added it.

Speaking of Stadia, if I did the same list for them:

Bandai Namco
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Capcom
  • n/a
Koei Tecmo
  • n/a
Konami
  • n/a
Level 5
  • n/a
Marvelous
  • n/a
Sega
  • n/a
Square Enix
  • Final Fantasy XV

It could always be worse I guess.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone enlighten me, but why is FF7R only announced/shown/talked about for ps4 only? And no pc/xbox one talk. The reasoning scapes me, is it because of a deal with Sony? Because if it was exclusive we would have heard it by now, maybe time exclusive? 6 months?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Someone enlighten me, but why is FF7R only announced/shown/talked about for ps4 only? And no pc/xbox one talk. The reasoning scapes me, is it because of a deal with Sony? Because if it was exclusive we would have heard it by now, maybe time exclusive? 6 months?
Its timed and was mentioned as such when it was revealed in 2015

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
We don't know. At the time it was announced with "Play it first" which implies it's a timed exclusive, and you'll be able to 'play it second' elsewhere. Whether that's on PC, or Xbox, who knows. I recall the most pervasive rumour was that it was a 6-12 month Playstation exclusive, and would then release on PC and Xbox - but that was years ago, and before Sony developed its gigantic lead in sales.

It's probably a safe bet to say it'll come to Xbox platforms though. FF7 is one of the few JRPGs with a substantial Western audience, and so a port would make a decent return (especially so if they intend to split and sell FF7 through multiple titles).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think FF7 Remake is coming to XBox One platforms, Sony just will have a period where its exclusive to PS4 but that's about it. The SE president basically spoke about it in terms of being available on other consoles (plural).

I mean how many "big" Japanese IP are even left these days. XBox still gets Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls, Soul Calibur, etc.

That's more than the Switch.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018

It's because whenever Sony gets a timed exclusive on the PS4, they put a gag order on the developer / publisher to never mention any possibility of the game landing on other platforms. See Cash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, it's not necessarily about Xbox in Japan, but rather Japan on Xbox. Consoles with more diverse lineups tend to do stronger by grabbing every niche they can - And largely, the JRPG niche has been PlayStation exclusive. That's a decent sized audience which historically always buys PlayStation because they know they'll be able to get JRPGs there (and other genres largely only produced by JP devs)

The more Phil can widen the Xbox brand's appeal away from just being "The Shooterbox", the better. The more games of different genres and niches Phil can secure on Xbox, the wider the potential sales demographics they can reach anywhere, not just Japan.
Absolutely

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I would guess that the relationship between MS & SE might have soured a bit after the Rise of the Tomb Raider timed exclusitivty was handled and released when compared to both their high expectations towards the deal & the Tomb Raider franchise.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

I can kinda understand why the new Dragon Quest isn't on there but the fact Dragon Quest Builders 2 isn't coming to Xbox One is still an incredibly baffling decision to me, like Square is legitimately leaving money on the table for no reason.
The bolded isn't true at all.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This thread feels more motivated as a "why does Xbox suck so much" rather than a "as an Xbox fan, this is something I've noticed" kinda post.
It's very clearly evident as to why things are the way they are, and you even say as much, OP.
Like, dawg, at some point you're just yelling into the void.

I'm not quite sure what you're insinuating.

The bolded isn't true at all.

This is dependent on what part of Square we're looking at.
If we're talking the JPN side of things? They definitely stick out (A recent example is The Last Remnant Remastered).
If we're talking their western studio titles? They have good support there.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Would depend on which titles you're talking about. Since there's going to be vast differences depending on which ones we're talking about.
I think some people are confusing my thread as "All JPN titles should be on Xbox" which is far from what i'm saying.
They had mistwalker, weren't bayonetta and lost planet pretty much exclusives? They had had a whole lot of niche games too.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FF7 should not have been a timed exclusive.

Unless some there is some behind the scenes support from Sony, they're doing basically jack shit to support the marketing of the game. Its not getting the kind of push we saw with big exclusives likeTLoU,GOW Spiderman etc

I feel like they're missing out on some extra cream with the Xbox audience especially when an X version could be amazing.
The game's not out until March. Sony will market it.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean Xbox just got like 6 final fantasy games last year, all of them being on xbox for the first time. Nier Automata and Kingdom Hearts 3 as well. With FF13 back compat and SE specifically giving Xbox higher quality cutscenes and stuff to put in the X version.

The last few Tales Of games were PS exclusives, they got it back on Xbox with Arise.

With how non-existant Xbox is in Japan, I just cant help but thing that there's a lot that simply isnt in their hands.

FFVII Remake will still come to Xbox later. It's been rumored two or three times now. Including that infamous Walmart leak from last year.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think this gen turned into a lost cause. Let's see if the payoff from these trips impacts the start of next gen.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Why even bother. Flagship titles from SE, Capcom, From etc made for Western audience anyway and they will release on Xbox. No point in chasing niche market with some obscure games no one cares abound beyond enthusiast forums

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean they put absolutely nothing into the Japanese market. All they do is plop the consoles on the shelves here and that's it.

Hell some of the links on the Xbox jp site literally go nowhere.

I don't blame them, but there's like less than zero effort going on over here.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They had mistwalker, weren't bayonetta and lost planet pretty much exclusives? They had had a whole lot of niche games too.

Bayonetta and Lost Planet didn't seem to do poorly on Xbox (In Bayonetta's case it was the only way to play it decently until the big PS3 patch).
Mistwalker is always a good point to consider though. LO is a cult classic and why it didn't sell more than it did is anyone's guess, I always assumed that it was a case of just being seen as "too old-school" for the time. When LO came out, the traditional Turn-Based style JRPGs were starting to be seen as something in need of an update even if the gameplay was fine.

I'm saying that this thread feels like it was made for whining, rather than for constructive criticism for the business strategies implemented.
Well i'm sorry that's how you took my thread. I didn't make this thread to "whine", which is why i offered some ideas at the end of my post as well as commendations throughout for the effort that has been shown.
However, since I don't specifically know what a trip to Japan entails, I can only provide so much feedback. I'm open to suggestions if you have any to share.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's just like with their PC support, these things take time guys.
I think the frustration with Xbox (and unlike PC) it feels like it's going backwards regarding support. Doing that upcoming list again but for Steam:

Bandai Namco
  • Code Vein
  • Digimon Survive
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Elden Ring
  • SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
  • Tales of Arise
  • Tokyo Ghoul re: Call to Exist
Capcom
  • Monster Hunter: World Iceborne
Koei Tecmo
  • Atelier Ryza
  • Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Konami
  • Contra: Rogue Corps
  • eFootball PES 2020
Level 5
  • Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
Marvelous
  • Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  • Senran Kagura Reflexions
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
  • Uppers
Sega
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (NA)
Square Enix
  • Babylon's Fall
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  • Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
  • Oninaki
  • Romancing SaGa 3
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions
  • Trials of Mana

The lineups aren't that dissimilar but PC just gets a bit more. And honestly I'm not seeing anything here that probably wouldn't do well enough to justify a One port too.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Maybe I misread your post? I took this as you saying they're the only publisher with little to no presence. I agree that their efforts have been weird but then again if you're releasing a niche game and are only going to release it on 2 maybe 3 platforms then Xbox is going to be on the outside looking in.
Why even bother. Flagship titles from SE, Capcom, From etc made for Western audience anyway and they will release on Xbox. No point in chasing niche market with some obscure games no one cares abound beyond enthusiast forums
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I think you're probably right (and both of Tokyo RPG Factory's previous games also skipped only Xbox) but the retail listings were odd so I added it.

Speaking of Stadia, if I did the same list for them:

Bandai Namco
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Capcom
  • n/a
Koei Tecmo
  • n/a
Konami
  • n/a
Level 5
  • n/a
Marvelous
  • n/a
Sega
  • n/a
Square Enix
  • Final Fantasy XV

It could always be worse I guess.
Not to thread detail, but a correction: Avengers is also on Stadia. I know it's not a Japanese developer but still Square heh.