• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I've never really understood the reasoning behind not making games like FFVII remake for Xbox when all of the other games minus XIV have made their way to the Xbox. How can this hurt anyone but the publisher?

Don't want to release FFVII Remake for Xbox? Cool, I won't buy it then. Only SE lose here.

In that case i think Sony paid for the launch exclusivity.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It boggles my mind when people think high profile Japanese games won't sell on Xbox. If there's marketing behind it, anything will sell truth be told.

I understand that niche games are hard to come by on anything but Japanese consoles but big games like Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Dragon Ball are going to sell on anything you put them on, so it doesnt make sense not to put them eveeywhere.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They are better off launching on those already established platforms first and then release it later for Xbox thh

Why exactly? You think people will triple dip on xbox? Your sales on the platform will mostly come from the people on the platform who want to buy it, not from multiplat owners wanting to get yet another copy on xbox. If you`re spending time and resources already on a xbox port it doesnt make sense to not align its launch with other platforms instead of waiting for people to lose interest on an year old (or even longer) port

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Next gen really has to be a reset for Xbox in this regard. MS cannot go on with certain series being defacto exclusive to Sony/Nintendo for little to no reason. Perfect examples of this are;

Yakuza
Dragon Quest
Persona
Ni No Kuni

Will they sell as much on Xbox as Playstation? Most likely no. I would argue that a lot of this is to do with the type of games MS offers within its first party lineup and the types of gamers it attracts. They are all predominantly online focused and/or shooters. The problem with that is that these are they types of games that third parties offer in abundance. Sony is successful because its first party offering are ones which do not exist on a third party level.

The Switch doesn't even get persona, you've a better chance of sprouting wings than you have of ever seeing another Persona game on an MS system.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never really understood the reasoning behind not making games like FFVII remake for Xbox when all of the other games minus XIV have made their way to the Xbox. How can this hurt anyone but the publisher?

Don't want to release FFVII Remake for Xbox? Cool, I won't buy it then. Only SE lose here.

Im 97 percent sure that will come to xbox. Like microsoft did for rise of the tomb raider, sony paid to have this come to their system first. Square doesnt seem to mind releasing their mainline final fantasy games on xbox, And even games like kingdom hearts and nier that they know can find some semblence of mass appeal. They seem to be opposed to releasing their smaller scale or more niche rpg's on the system, so your dragon quests, octopaths, tokyo rpg factory titles, final fantasy spin offs.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Phil can try moneyhatting everything but the demographic for Xbox ain't JRPG's, which SE has plenty of. I'm sure you're going to say "multiplatform benefits the consumer". Yeah it does but what's point of porting something to different demographic, that might lead to low sales. I think the only way phil gets more JRPG's is if he buys a development studio or forms one himself. The only way
You may not be far off. He did mention purchasing a Japanese dev. Would definitely be interesting to see.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Sony moneyhatted for timed exclusivity. Expect FF7R to hit Xbox 6-12 months after PS4.
the great american philgrimage will yield results soon™.
I will play Phantasy Star Online 2 on my X soon thanks to that.

Last edited:

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
I expect they will acquire a japanese studio within the next couple if years, no idea who though.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's improved and most of the games that don't come over are fairly irrelevant in the long run. Some of it seems pretty arbitrary and confusing though. Not sure why Square would think Secret of Mana wouldn't sell enough to be worthwhile.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think the problems from Phil
i think the problems from the xbox community
they don't support a lot for Japanese titles
only big Japanese game do well like FF and DMC
but others small titles don't get much support
i think the lowest user base that care about Japanese titles are in xbox compared to PS , Nintendo switch and even the PC
so its not strange to see some Japanese developers avoid xbox

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i think the lowest user base that care about Japanese titles are in xbox compared to PS , Nintendo switch and even the PC
It's a vicious circle. How can Xbox users support smaller games if they never come out? Why would MS chase deals is the majority of smaller devs are apathetic towards the Xbox in general.

Personally I think MS should burn the he cash to get smaller games on Gamepass and see what happens. Japan might just be a lost cause for MS but as long as the bigger titles still appear, that would be OK for the majority of Xbox users.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Seems more like a problem of specific games a person might want not showing up there than pretty much all games like it used to be. They just showed Elden Ring, DBZ, Tales of Arise, and Phantasy Star at E3. If there was a huge groundswell of support for Japanese games on Xbox it might be a problem, but missing out on a bunch of re-releases of old games doesn't seem like a problem at all.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It boggles my mind when people think high profile Japanese games won't sell on Xbox. If there's marketing behind it, anything will sell truth be told.

I understand that niche games are hard to come by on anything but Japanese consoles but big games like Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Dragon Ball are going to sell on anything you put them on, so it doesnt make sense not to put them eveeywhere.
This discussion isn't about Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, or Dragon Ball, because those games are already coming to Xbox.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They are getting the Japanese games that matter imo.

Kingdom Hearts 3, Tales of Arise, Phantasy Star Online? That's all I need.

I kind of agree with this. Japanese games have become such a niche outside the heavy hitters. It's not like their making millions off the small no name games.

As someone who has all three consoles, I appreciate that the big Japanese games are on both the xbox and the playstation. Even stuff like the Attack on Titan game or My Hero Academia are on Xbox as well which probably wouldn't be the case if the shows and manga weren't big in the west.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

You're blaming the Xbox community? It's on the publishers to bring the games to Xbox and support and market them to build the audience. As opposed to throwing out the occasional scrap and wondering why it sells comparatively poorly.

Where else do customers get the blame for this shit? What other industry?

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
If a Japanese game is primarily targeting a Western audience, it will come to Xbox.

If a Japanese game is primarily targeting a Japanese audience, it will likely skip Xbox.

Not too complicated, but don't expect games primarily made for another market to come to Xbox when Xbox barely has a presence in that market.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think Microsoft's end goal is to A) Ensure that the majority of major titles coming out of Japan are multi-platform, meaning that Sony isn't getting a smorgasbord of exclusives for free B) Diversify its portfolio of games, and by default, cater to audiences it has typically failed to cater to in the past. I don't think Microsoft truly cares about its console selling well in Japan, because realistically, that's an unattainable goal for them and not worth the money or effort.

If Microsoft can lead by example and have its own internal presence in Japan, meaning that they acquire and/or build up a studio or studios under its first party umbrella - on top of expanding its consumer base to include gamers who are receptive to Japanese games - then I think Japanese publishers will naturally fall into place and at least release their biggest titles for Xbox. I think as long as things like Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Persona, etc. are coming to Xbox day and date with other platforms upon release - then Microsoft will be happy even if AA or fringe AAA experiences are slipping through the cracks.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
It's a vicious circle. How can Xbox users support smaller games if they never come out? Why would MS chase deals is the majority of smaller devs are apathetic towards the Xbox in general.

Personally I think MS should burn the he cash to get smaller games on Gamepass and see what happens. Japan might just be a lost cause for MS but as long as the bigger titles still appear, that would be OK for the majority of Xbox users.
You're blaming the Xbox community? It's on the publishers to bring the games to Xbox and support and market them to build the audience. As opposed to throwing out the occasional scrap and wondering why it sells comparatively poorly.

Where else do customers get the blame for this shit? What other industry?

ok first i didn't mean all the user base i mean most of them

and about small games we have examples for some games that lunch in xbox and their sale was not good

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think we might have to define what 'big' titles are. I cannot see a reason why the next big Platinum Game from Square-Enix, Babylon Fall, would not be on Xbox when SaGa 3 and more importantly NieR Automata are/were. I'm also not sure if Tales of Arise and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are 'big' titles and that's why they rather than the Kingdom Hearts collections or Yakuza come over. Yes, certain franchises have struggled outside Japan (Dragon Quest), certain developers/publishers are just weird (Square-Enux, Atlus) and other series are more of an internet cult than global sales engines (Yakuza), but that's precisely why these franchises should be made available globally and make use of an awesome service like Game Pass to generate more fans to these franchises. Valkyria Chronicles 1 on PC Game Pass could be a good model but then that's an older game.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
More and more Japanese games are selling better in the West than they do in Japan. Instead of trying to appeal to the Japanese audience (which hasn't worked), Phil should partner with devs who make games that do well in the West.

This is true but even the best selling Japanese franchises with the most western appeal still do better on Sony/PC/Nintendo by a decent margin.

Any news how Ys Origin did on XBone? That was a strange "get" for the console, as the series doesn't have any legacy on Xbox consoles and it's a niche entry to begin with (being a port of a mid 2000s computer game that was not graphically intensive even on release).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
ok first i didn't mean all the user base i mean most of them

and about small games we have examples for some games that lunch in xbox and their sale was not good

Yes because they have been treating Xbox users poorly for years. There is no reason at all for this and it's within their best interests to broaden their user base.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is true but even the best selling Japanese franchises with the most western appeal still do better on Sony/PC/Nintendo by a decent margin.

Any news how Ys Origin did on XBone? That was a strange "get" for the console, as the series doesn't have any legacy on Xbox consoles and it's a niche entry to begin with (being a port of a mid 2000s computer game that was not graphically intensive even on release).

Yes absolutely, but I think MS has to start with baby steps for now and not worry about outperforming Nintendo and Sony with those games. Just get those games in the XBox ecosystem and let the audience gradually grow.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Honestly, I think they key thing to increasing Japanese games on Xbox is, weirdly enough, improving the Xbox's standing in Europe and US. Follow me here - the 360, despite its image as the FPS console, probably had the most Japanese publisher support of Microsoft's three (released) consoles. And it had nothing to do with money hatting some JRPGs onto the system, but how Sony dropped the ball with the PS3 early on in that generation, allowing Microsoft to build a userbase that rivaled Sony's in North America and Europe.

In the Xbox/PS2 generation, PS2 dominated in all regions, so Japanese publishers could just put their games on PS2 without too much worry they wouldn't be able to reach enough Western gamers to be successful. But with Microsoft's gains in the West with the 360, Japanese publishers HAD to put out an Xbox version for the West to make their efforts worth it. I remember early on in the generation there was a megaton every few months about how a formerly PS-exclusive franchise (Tekken! Final Fantasy!) was now releasing on Xbox as well. And this was happening while the 360 was still selling anemically in Japan, which shows how irrelevant the console's success in Japan was to Japanese publishers willingness to develop for the system. While there was definitely a sizable contingent of Xbox gamers who didn't care for JP titles, there was enough Western 360 owners that at least the larger Japanese publishers couldn't ignore when it came to choosing platforms for their games.

That said, I think Microsoft has an even harder hill to climb to recreate that scenario - after blowing their 360 gains due to the Xbox One's launch, Steam/PC filled that role of being the Western-focused platform that JP developers release on AND also gave those publishers a foothold into the Chinese market.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Square knows who buys their games and it aint xbox players
Cant buy them if they are not available. I bought Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV on my X over Pro. Id think a digital only offering for some games would be a better and cheaper way to test the waters. I sadly will end up buying FF7 Remake twice because id rather have it on X

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see MS get some of those smaller titles back to Game Pass.

i agree

Yes because they have been treating Xbox users poorly for years. There is no reason at all for this and it's within their best interests to broaden their user base.

Tales of Vesperia was exclusive for xbox 360
and then we get remaster in this gen
lets see how much the game sells in the xbox

UK - Tales of Vesperia debuts at No°9 in the charts (+40.7% on the original game). 49% of sales on Switch, 43% on PS4, 8% on XB1.

8% for title was exclusive for xbox 360 ??
and total xbox one sales there is more than Nintendo switch
let's look to other example

UK: Valkyria Chronicles 4's debut sales = 54% PS4, 39% Switch, 7% XBO

i will not surprise of some Japanese developers will skip the xbox after they try to support the console and the results is bad sales
the problems as i said is with small titles the big titles will continue to release in xbox

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I geuss "Japanese games don't sell well on Xbox" is their version of "Mature games don't sell on Nintendo consoles"?

Despite they most likely selling well, just not gambusters.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah, Square is not about to release VII on all platforms day 1. Xbox was lucky to get KH3 me thinks.

Considering KH3 sold well on xbox its more like Square was "lucky" instead, because they sure made zero effort trying to build a community for the game on the xbox platform and still worked

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing titles to the platform isn't enough. Microsoft need to be heavily marketing these kinds of games to get people interested. Hell even developing JRPGs again to bring people into the genre would be smart. But don't give up after a few non starters. Having Japanese game developers on side is CRUCIAL, because it's auch a big part of the games market.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is very anecdotal, but most of my friends growing up played Xbox, and when the new generation started in 2013, most of them stayed with Xbox despite liking various animes. One of my close friend's and I loved Catherine on the 360.

I could easily see there being an audience among them for these types of games, but they're not being marketed to. Said friend LOVED Final Fantasy XV, but hasn't purchased any of the others, nor does he intend to buy a Sony console.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Cant buy them if they are not available. I bought Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV on my X over Pro. Id think a digital only offering for some games would be a better and cheaper way to test the waters. I sadly will end up buying FF7 Remake twice because id rather have it on X

Same boat.

I really don't like the generalizing some people seem to do in here that Xbox centric gamers don't play JRPGs or if they have multiple systems would prefer to play JRPGs on a Sony or Nintendo system...

Because it isn't the case, and it's annoying when these people seem to speak for everyone, like saying it enough times will make it so.

9 times out of 10, if I have an opportunity to play a game on multiple systems, and it's on Xbox, that's where I'm purchasing and playing the game. That's the ecosystem I like, that's the system where history has assured me my digital library will carry forward to next gen, that's where the controller I prefer exists, and it's where the majority of my friends game...

I've passed on quite a few SE titles I would have otherwise purchased if they had come to the Xbox despite having the means to play on PS4 and Switch.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

Ys Origins is actually a good example that the publisher matters. It wasn't published by Xseed but rather DotEmu. I've never seen any numbers though.

Another point: Does Xbox still have that minimum disc print requirement? But given we live in the digital age, digital releases shouldn't be a problem.

Still thinking Game Pass on PC (or console, maybe) with Xbox Live achievements would be a good first step. Game Pass puts games in the spotlight and this is where Japanese games would find a bigger audience on Xbox.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The big games are coming to Xbox.

How many people would buy niche titles like Inazuma Eleven Ares on Xbox? This is an enthusiastic forum and people are saying they don't care about these games.