• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw that I clocked 52 hours into this game and I need to admit I can't play it anymore. It's not the longest game I've ever played (The Witcher 3 was a 100-hour game for me so were others), but for sure it's the game that feels being the longest game I've ever played. And the reason for that is actually simple: the world is massive and there's almost an infinite amount of quests and content to see and do.

I enjoy the story, Kassandra is a 10/10 protagonist, it's ridiculously pretty and the Ancient Greek setting was a dream come true to me, but the whole thing should be at least 30% shorter and smaller. It's tiring to see all those quest marks that don't stop popping up wherever I go, doing the same combo in combats ad infinitum, walking endlessly and opening a world map that so big and dense that even after 50 hours I didn't visit half of it.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed what I've played, but there's isn't enough variation and depth to the gameplay and game design that can sustain such a long game. Also, the quests are mostly good but they're not "The Witcher 3 good", which becomes a problem when this is what the player will be doing most of the time.

AC Odyssey is an incredible achievement in a lot of ways (it's almost unbelievable that Ubisoft was able to make such big, dense and detailed virtual world), but I really hope they revisit the concept of "more is better" in the AC Vikings.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the sheer amount of content in it. Got to 64 hours last night and I haven't touched the DLC yet and some of the main quests are still there. I feel the opposite with Witcher 3 where 25 hours in I really just wanted it to end cause the gameplay was awful so I just mainlined the (very good) story.

Feb 5, 2019
I felt the same. Game was fun, but I felt overwhelmed at times. Didn't help that the big conquest battles were a little too scripted for my liking.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so good though, fully stealthing a hideout feels great and the combat is just so satisfying when you level up the perks.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Why not try to just focus on the main story and ignore the other for maybe after if you ever want to. Such a great game, I have yet to beat it myself, but I could never see stopping completely because there's just too much to do. You can control how much you want to do, don't let it control you. ;)

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
That's actually the thing holding me back from getting the game. I know that it'll be too much "content" for me and my OCD will make it impossible for me to skip the side quests.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Last year, I might have agreed with it being too long, but with this year being kind of a bummer in terms of big releases, I'm actually glad that it's so packed with content

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent like 40 hours playing it and yeah, it's just doing the same thing over and over again with no variation. I'm kind of surprised by how much I've been enjoying its rote gameplay loop. Not tired of it yet, but the tedium could strike at any moment.

It'd be a lot stronger if they doubled down on roleplaying dialog like the Witcher 3. It would break up the exploration/assassination/combat loop, or at least add another chain to it.

ACOO is a real popcorn game.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
stop doing side quests. theres a reason they are called side quests. half way through I stopped playing any side quests. I did the same for Witcher 3 and the DLC.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can actually take the bloat in this one since the stories in a lot of the quests are pretty interesting. I still didn't get to finishing it but I rarely do anymore and I did get close with this one. I'd have probably finished it had the combat been better but it just did nothing for me and was a means to an end.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really touched Odyssey because I want to wrap up Origins first. But 51hrs in so far and I've still got so much to do. It does indeed feel overwhelming, and is a game I have to just stop playing at times.

There's just so much to it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kass is 10/10 and the world is beautiful, but there's a lot of meaningless guff amongst the good stuff.

Still definitely a worthwhile time, though.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Origin's is the better, more focused game. After I cleared 2 islands in Odyssey I couldn't be bothered to do the same things all over again just on another island.

It works if you really enjoy the combat loop but if you don't it's a slog.

May 13, 2018
I have never had such a strong love/hate relationship with a game like I do with Odyssey. I got the Platinum the other day and immediately deleted it from my PS4. I'm completely done with it. I don't even want to get the Atlantis DLC anymore now.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Just do the main quests and any nearby quests. And murder anyone near you. That's enough to progress the story.

I actively avoided the water sidequests.

eta- in contrast to you, i mainlined Witcher 3. Didn't really like it at all. I do have Herats of Stone dlc though. I should play that someday.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that it's a common thing for Ubisoft as a means of extending the life of the game by filling it with filler BS to make it potentially last forever with content that isn't all that meaningful.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, I'm with you OP... it's a good game but the writing isn't anywhere as good as the best open world games like Witcher 3 or Fallout New Vegas and that's why I lost interest in the game after about 20 - 25 hours

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
AC Odyssey has become a comfort food game for me. I would play it for a while. Once it starts feeling repetitive, I put it down and go play something else. After a few weeks I'd come back to it and it's fun again to play the game. Because they've been releasing so much content for it, I've come back to it 3-4 times already after taking breaks from the game.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Origins + DLCs burned me out on the series, probably permanently. I think I ended up a few hours short of 100 hours.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I ended up in the same place. I loved the game but at about 50 hours or so I still think I have a 1/3 of it still left. I just dont know if I will ever finish it.

I cant even fathom buying the season pass or any DLC.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 90hrs and haven't played a single DLC yet. I have been the game and just need a few more pieces to the collect all of the "legendary" armors. I'm excited to dive into the DLC and master that too.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Right there with you. 30 hours in, and looking at the map, I feel like I'm simply never going to complete it. :(

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Everything I've heard and seen about it makes it sound like an overstuffed version of origins with less compelling characters and worse storytelling. (Which seems like exactly how i felt about AC Brotherhood, right down to the near-unanimous praise its getting) Glad i skipped it, but even then i feel kind of tired just by proximity. I hope the 2020 ac really brings its A-game, cause if it looks similarly rote i might not get back on board with the series.

Really disappointing after how trancendent Origins was, i think they just need to stop the idea of two years of ac in a row for good.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I had the same experience. I loved the game and thought the amount of content was fine. I came out of Origins fairly disappointed, which is why I was so surprised when Odyssey captured my interest for so long.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on the main story.

While the side stuff is interesting and really well done in some cases, the main story can be pushed through pretty quickly, especially with the options to turn down difficulty.

TheNerdyOne

Oct 28, 2017
I'm... 297 hours of playtime in so far and can't wait for the rest of the DLC episodes, its my non nintendo game of the generation, and it's amazing IMO.

WcODyp3.png

Also, what's a combat encounter? is that that thing you have to do if you don't have a proper asssasin build that 1shots level 99 mercs? :D

Last edited:

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Spent close to 150 hours with the Game and loved pretty much every minute of it. Pleased all question marks, sidequests, story and DLC. Waiting for the last episodes of DLC before retiring the Game for good. Oké of my favorite experiences this generqtion

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Everything I've heard and seen about it makes it sound like an overstuffed version of origins with less compelling characters and worse storytelling. (Which seems like exactly how i felt about AC Brotherhood, right down to the near-unanimous praise its getting) Glad i skipped it, but even then i feel kind of tired just by proximity. I hope the 2020 ac really brings its A-game, cause if it looks similarly rote i might not get back on board with the series.

I disagree with the less compelling characters part. Kassandra is one of the best protagonists the series has ever done, and I can actually remember the names of her supporting cast unlike Origins.

Otherwise, yes, it is too overstuffed for its own good.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I could only stand several hours of it. I understand how the game ticks but everything about it is contrary to my sensibilities. The thought of playing for 50 hours makes my eye twitch. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others if they seem like they would enjoy it, tho. It has somewhat good quality and provides a friction free sandbox.

The bottomless mission icons is key to this kind of design. Many many buyers consider the length or replayability to be near the top of the list when it comes down to choosing one game over another. I don't think it's expected that every satisfied player would see the end. I think most are like you that enjoy the open game for a large amount of time and eventually move on. You got 50 hours of game! Good buy!

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up doing the same thing. I thought it started weak, but then I really got into it, but then around hour 20 I was just done.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One issue i found with origins is the level that you are on is always low compared to what the main quests requires. So you have to do a shit ton of boring ass side quests to get to that level and then rinse and repeat. Is that the case with odyssey?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I got the plat in Origins...

I need like a 5 yr break from Ubi open-world games after that. But I do want to try Odyssey...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I did the same thing, but I don't regret it. Came to a point where I was like... I can keep doing this, and I'll enjoy it, but won't I enjoy going through something fresh right now more?

Definitely got good value from it, and it's always there if I want to go back.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its pretty much mindless exploration once you are some hours in. Copy paste mission design with gorgeous vistas. I got 70 hours in the game. Every 35 or so I quit it and come back. Its a pretty comfy game.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel bad OP, I had the same thing happen with Origins.

I just can't with this series anymore. Black Flag was the only game I played through to completion and absolutely loved (primarily because of the pirate stuff and focus on sailing/ship combat).

Since then I've tried Syndicate and Origins and neither could hold my attention. They're just so...samey and repetitive to me.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with you Imerty in that I love the gameplay of Odyssey but I'm not enjoying the story, it feels kind of basic and derivative. And while you could level the same complaint against the overall plot of The Witcher 3 I feel the Witcher games had something that odyssey never had, good character writing and voice acting direction, specifically when it comes to non protagonist characters.

I'm still LTTP and playing through this so take my issues with a grain of salt but when people talk about how good the witcher 3 is they talk about the Baron,they talk about Gaunter O'Dimm. They talk about supporting characters Like Triss merigold or the crones. Odyssey doesn't really have this for me. I go to the next thing because I like the gameplay not because there's anybody that's interesting, which while the witcher was a white bread character you could guarantee you'd meet interesting characters in spades.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I normally love long open world games but this game even burnt me out. Shame because it's fantastic just a way too big map.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
Same thing happened to me, OP. Right around the same time too, I felt exhausted. Way too much bloat.

I just rushed the story missions and never touched it again. Was thinking of trying AC Origin before that, now I don't even want to think about it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I gave up roughly 20-25 hours into the game myself. Repetition kicked in early for me. Nothing bad with repetition I guess, but simply not varied/interesting enough for my liking. Bloated and meaningless content (to me)

Me not enjoying the combat in particular did not help. Its so mindless imo. Create 3 adrenaline bars + use adrenaline move. Rinse n repeat. Yawn.

I still prefer the combat of previous AC games. I do not see people complain about Batman arkham series, so not sure where all the hate came from for AC's original combat.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It was a huge problem with Origins (along with the RPG elements) and doubling down on it is why I'll never bother with Odyssey. We've probably got quite a few more entries of it too sadly.

I really liked the gameplay loop of older titles, it was fun in a simple mindless way that you could listen to podcasts during but was over a lot quicker. Also you could always mainline the story really quickly if you wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
How is the story in odyssey? I wanted to finish origins first and am finding the story kind of terrible so far. A lot of the background is presented terribly and the targets are barely mentioned before you just kill them and move on. Main characters are just kind of spinning their wheels with (supposedly) one target left.