• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
It's time for Ubi to learn quality over quantity rule, but I feel like they won't, neither they want to. I liked Origins and Odyssey but these games were bloated and overstayed it's welcome.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
One of the most extraordinary gaming experiences I've ever had, and I never cared or even played Assassin's Creed games before. If it wasn't for Spider-Man, that would be my GOTY. Put 120 hours in it, better than RDR II. And I mean A LOT better. I still have to play God of War tho.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I quit Oddysey for the same reason, really felt I had to slog through the final 20 hours of The Witcher 3 and I'm about to call it quits on Days Gone - for the same reason: the interesting story was stretched too thin. Sometimes, less is more.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The fact is those kind of contents are really easy to create, I wouldn't surprise if there's an automated tool to create all the outposts and similar sides. Even the "normal" side-quests are all the same, what is different is the brief dialogues you get before and after each one. So filling a game with those kind of contents is rather easy, that's why Ubisoft put them all in. By forcing the player to clear sides in order to level up you are artificially bumping up the game's lenght, so people have the "illusion" to play for 100 hours while 90 of them are repeating the same thing again and again.

yeah it's no secret, every game like this uses some kind of proc gen on an established template. plus "hand made" assets like dialogue, NPCs ect to break the illusion. this one does it okay IMO if you're willing to meet it halfway (which is understandable if you wouldn't - obvs it's a huge ass game) as opposed to something like say skyrim where 90% of side stuff is go on a dungeon dive to save the family heirloom or whatever

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Same thing with me and Origins. I really enjoyed the game a lot, but after 40 hours of missions and messing around in the open world, I was burned out on it. And the burn out carried over to Odyssey, which I didn't get. I think I will be ready to jump back in for the Norse game next year though on PS5.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Bringing back the Tombstones from AC2 would have added a nice layer of variation and brought in some good change of pace. There was a lack of missions involving platforming the series is known for. And Tombstones would have covered these grounds nicely.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Definitely a bit too bloated but nevertheless, I put in over 100hrs and haven't even touched the DLC yet.

I think gamers "make" the game feel bloated because of the "I need to do everything" urge and that's when the game (or other OW games) become a drag.

I always focus on the main bit of a game when I start to get bored and drop all side quests, ? Marks and other collectibles. Once the main game is done, I have a break and return few weeks later to "finish" it properly if I feel like it.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
the crazy feeling when you completed the tiny first island and then look at the huge rest if the map with all its icons. I have a lot of fun but it's so much. Also, so many systems to keep track of.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Same thing with me and Origins. I really enjoyed the game a lot, but after 40 hours of missions and messing around in the open world, I was burned out on it. And the burn out carried over to Odyssey, which I didn't get. I think I will be ready to jump back in for the Norse game next year though on PS5.

Same here.
The XP requirements to reach new areas made me put down Origins and pass on Odyssey.

The advice given here "don't do sidequests" seems strange to me, as the new AC games can't be beaten without doing a ton of them.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the most extraordinary gaming experiences I've ever had, and I never cared or even played Assassin's Creed games before. If it wasn't for Spider-Man, that would be my GOTY. Put 120 hours in it, better than RDR II. And I mean A LOT better. I still have to play God of War tho.
i def agree that Odyssey is leaps and bounds better at being an Assassins Creed game than Red Dead Redemption 2 is . Tho it kinda fails being a western , but thats ok, cause its not a western. Neither its a slow burn narrative driven , character piece that goes for very particular , very methodical approach to its open world and systems.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah i putted aside the game after 40 hours but i want to finish it because it is kinda good in some aspects.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this on PS4 a few days ago. For quite some time I've had my Pro hooked up to a Gsync 1080p monitor. I recently got my consoles a new 4k HDR-ish monitor (I hate that there's always some huge asterisk with low-to-midrange displays still), and I really wanted to have a little showpiece. Looks really cool with 4k and HDR, though.

I enjoyed Origins. I put maybe 50 hours in and got burned out, and it is entirely possible that will happen here. I sort of view the new Creed games as like Witcher 3 lite. I really like all the various quests, but at some point, you need to critical path or GTFO.

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
First mainline Assassins Creed game I've ever skipped. Origins was way too long and bloated and I've heard Odyssey is even worse in that regard. I'm no longer invested in the story since they ended the Desmond arc either, so no real incentive to jump in. I'm sure that a lot of people like the new direction, but it's kinda ruined the series for me.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think the game works best if you don't treat that world as something you have to fully explore. It's better if you just go to where you find more interesting and do that until you level up enough to finish the story, and then finish it. Don't bother doing everything, just what feels compelling. I thing the game offers a lot of content, but it's to give you choice, not for you to do every single thing.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Same here.
The XP requirements to reach new areas made me put down Origins and pass on Odyssey.

The advice given here "don't do sidequests" seems strange to me, as the new AC games can't be beaten without doing a ton of them.
Yeah. "Side" content is a major misnomer for the Origins-style AC games. When you need to grind the content in order to progress in the game, its not really a side quest anymore.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went into Odyssey real optimistic because I loved Origins. I had to stop about 40 hours in when the story still had no end in sight and the side objectives kept just all being fucking identical and so repetitive, and the story missions just felt like more linear versions of the side activities with cutscenes in them, and I did not give one lick about that story (I picked Kassandra, but Alexios didn't seem any better). I don't know what about Origins I liked that I didn't in Odyssey, besides the story, because Origins blows Odyssey out of the water- Bayek is so much more interesting and fun than either of Odyssey's protags. Even still, I enjoyed the gameplay of Origins in a way I didn't in Odyssey. Maybe it was just fatigue. I'd be interested to see if I would enjoy Origins going back.

That all said, if the rumors about the next game being Vikings is true, I'm there day one for no other reason than the setting. If they do that even moderately well, it'll probably be good enough to keep me going through the story at least. It worked for Viking: Battle for Asgard, which wasn't a stellar game by any means.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is the story in odyssey? I wanted to finish origins first and am finding the story kind of terrible so far. A lot of the background is presented terribly and the targets are barely mentioned before you just kill them and move on. Main characters are just kind of spinning their wheels with (supposedly) one target left.

Origins has vastly better main characters and story to Odyssey, which is just a dumb grab bag of Greek references. The assassination targets are just random jobbers walking around enemy camps or on ships who don't even have death scenes. There's a background story of the war between Athens and Sparta, but it's just an excuse to have a lot of battles (you arbitrarily join either side on a per-battle basis based on nothing more than the whims of the game designers and/or the loot rewards).

The game is exceedingly packed with side content and game systems, though. If you just want to fuck around in a big sandbox, it's the AC of choice.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've put about 7~9 hours into Odyssey and while I'm having fun it already feels a bit bloated.

How is Origins? Still hold up? I think Ancient Egypt might actually appeal to me more than the mish-mash of Greek lore. But if I do give it a spin I'd probably think it's best to do it first if Odyssey has better gameplay/is more refined.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I think at a certain point you have to let go of side quests if you aren't having fun with them. That said I'll never understand why people are so against the side quests in ACO and Odyssey but are all over the ones in Witcher 3. How many of those were simple detective vision follow the path quests, or generic monster slaying? They're all in the same ballpark.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
How is Origins? Still hold up?

Its one and a half years old dude. I liked it better. Its leaner. I think i cleared near the entirety of the game in 50 hours, really taking my sweet, sweet time savouring everything imaginable because the setting was so awesome and i like the new gamedesign they took with the series

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect timing, just bought the gold version today because it was on sale. Spent the last 2 weeks in Greece and visited ancient temples and stuff and got really interested. Is there already a discovery mode in this? Loved this one in origins.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I think at a certain point you have to let go of side quests if you aren't having fun with them. That said I'll never understand why people are so against the side quests in ACO and Odyssey but are all over the ones in Witcher 3. How many of those were simple detective vision follow the path quests, or generic monster slaying? They're all in the same ballpark.

this is true from a gameplay perspective. I found the stories those side quests told and their characters in W3 mostly interesting and well made though. some side quests even caused other quests later in the game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Don't treat it like a check list game. Focus on seeing the sights and doing "!" Quests along the way when not following the story. Let everything else come naturally. There are a lot of really fucking good side quests & story threads out in the world -- and often what may seem like a simple quest takes a surprising turn or comes with some surprisingly agonizing choices. Also I role play, so I don't attack both sides indiscriminately and have no problems denying tasks that don't feel in line with 'my Kassandra'.

It's all in the approach. Witcher 3 feels bloated & grindy too if you make it a point to try and clear every Point of Interest on top of things like Horse Racing, Brawling, Gwent etc..etc.. That stuff is just there to fill out the world with stuff to do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've put about 7~9 hours into Odyssey and while I'm having fun it already feels a bit bloated.

How is Origins? Still hold up? I think Ancient Egypt might actually appeal to me more than the mish-mash of Greek lore. But if I do give it a spin I'd probably think it's best to do it first if Odyssey has better gameplay/is more refined.

It's Origins, not Odyssey, that is more refined. Origins is better in every way unless you actually want a bloated sandbox (and superpowers and naval stuff).

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I've been toying with the idea of picking this one up for months, but I imagine my experience lining up with this. I liked Origins on it's own terms and while that and more sounds sort of appealing, I think I'll leave this one be and wait for the viking one. I can't imagine they will have addressed the repetitiveness in any meaningful way with the way these games are developed, but odds are it won't be any worse than Odyssey either.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I stopped playing for a while because I started to feel the same. Will grind it out, because Kassandra is great and the world is beautiful.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I avoided it and Origins for that reason. I just can't stomach these super long open world games any more in general and I never liked AC enough to play that type of game in that huge setting.

Variety is the spice of life and I'd rather play a bunch of shorter games than a few super long and repetitive ones.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
To expand upon my post earlier in this thread about sticking with Odyssey far longer than Origins: the same basic gameplay loop is there, but Odyssey provides a greater sense of progression and rewarding your actions than its predecessor, IMO. Much of that has to do with the loot it showers you in, and the opportunity to really create a "build" with your character, but the abilities and powers you gain for leveling up are also more interesting with than those found in Origins. I always feel like there's something new to try out the next time I'm tasked with sneaking into a fort, whereas in Origins I'd gotten the sense that I'd seen just about all the game had to offer on that front early on.

Additionally, the sidequests in Odyssey, while perhaps not as rich as the ones in Origins, often contribute to your main goals in ways beyond just providing the XP to reach the required level. You might start off on what you think is a mere sidequest, only to find that it unveils a cultist, or at least brings you closer to a conquest battle in that region.

At the end of the day, though, it probably boils down to how much you enjoy sneaking through forts and assassinating guards. I really like that! I don't even mind the grindy bounty contracts: any excuse to make more headshots with my bow. I've also been playing Hitman and MGS a lot lately because they offer a lot of that same feeling. But you aren't really into it, than 50 or 100 hours of it will wear you out.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will not invest more than 20 hours into a game unless it is absolutely gripping, these developers think that we have nothing else going on in our lives to just release games with laughable padding to appease some ultra niche hardcore audience that scoffs at anything less than 50hrs gt

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You can not not do side quests. You can't crit path this game cause you'll be underleveled. You have to do side quests. The level gating in the game sucks.

EDIT: nevermind didn't know about the patch

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of the most extraordinary gaming experiences I've ever had.

I'm 55 hours in and have only explored half the map lol and this is how I am feeling.

Odyssey is just fucking amazing, I love everything about it.
You can not not do side quests. You can't crit path this game cause you'll be underleveled. You have to do side quests. The level gating in the game sucks.
??
adjust level scaling. They added that in Jan.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the length, I got the platinum after 73 hours which is pretty reasonable for an open world game. If you just care about the main story then I think I hit the first ending at around 40 hours.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I was holding off on playing this because it seemed bloated for mt reasons, but hearing now that they patched level scaling I might just main quest it 😀

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Someone tell me if I should start with Origins or jump into Odyssey.

Haven't played an AC game since Black Flag, I absolutely loved the game but burn out is strong in this series.
Both strong games. Pick the one with the setting you like the most. Personally I adored the Egypt setting but objectively Odyssey is an equally strong game.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I felt the exact same about origins, it was really fun but after about 25 hours in just felt I'd seen enough

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its one and a half years old dude. I liked it better. Its leaner. I think i cleared near the entirety of the game in 50 hours, really taking my sweet, sweet time savouring everything imaginable because the setting was so awesome and i like the new gamedesign they took with the series

It's Origins, not Odyssey, that is more refined. Origins is better in every way unless you actually want a bloated sandbox (and superpowers and naval stuff).

Awesome, sounds like I might prefer Origins.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
argh i'm currently on a break from this game, 60 hours in. i don't have a completionist mentality but i at least like to do all the major sidequests. odyssey gives me big anxiety because every time i clear one area's worth of quests and go to the next island, another 5 sprout up. it doesn't help that main story missions often divvy up into many separate smaller quests too. and frankly, the sidequests in odyssey are a huge mixed bag. sometimes it's an interesting contained plot line, sometimes it's a barebones fetch quest; this really adds to the "i have to try do them all so i don't miss out" mindset i have.

i'll probably jump back into it soon but man. cut the world in half, trim the fat, write more quests and characters that i actually care about instead of voicing random npcs in the name of fleshing out every identical greek town. i miss ass creed 2.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not that it is long (took me 114 hours completionist), the problem is that its quest design and writing is mostly poor and extremely repetitive. And I find it really weird that Ubisoft with its thousands of employees is not able to replicate Witcher 3's quest design quality, given that TW3 was made by much smaller team (and is still much bigger game, took me over 150 hours completionist).

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I only really use it for game tourism and then spending hours reading up on history and legends. Gameplay loop is decent enough though.
Has ubi mentioned anything about the walking tour mode that was in Origins being in odyssey? I miss both that and the amusing yet informative codex entries.

The game offers a lot of freedom, you can change your build, hunter is great If you don't like the combat.
I've played about 50 hours as a assassin build with only daggers and stealth and now I'm trying the hunter build with arrows. Totally different way of playing the game.

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Games being too long aren't really that much of a problem to me if the gameplay/combat loop is satisfying enough, it's why I don't mind doing boring side quests for instance, if I like the combat I can still have fun. Unfortunately the combat isn't very good in AC, it certainly doesn't look good and it never felt satisfying to me even though I put around 15 hours into it, at that point I had to drop it. Loved near everything else though but if the combat isn't something I like in a game like this, pretty much every mission I did involved combat, it's a major part of the gameplay, there's little reason to continue playing, becomes a chore to playthrough.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's the problem I had, it's a fun game, with some great world design, but mission wise it still suffers from the "copy and paste" style of structure that gets repetitive.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I got Origins in the last Monthly Bundle and I just started playing. It's a lot of fun, plus it's one of the few games that streams in HDR using my Shield's Gamestream feature so I can play it in bed.

I'll probably never finish it though- there just seems like there's too much to it. I will admit to investing 200+ hrs into Skyrim+mods tho. lol

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I really enjoyed my time with it, but after only 30 something hours I felt tired and burned out by the whole thing. It felt like I experienced everything I wanted and just stopped playing.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I bought a cheap key and played for 12 hours, then I got sidetracked by better games that respect my time more. It seems vastly bloated for what's on offer in terms of story and gameplay. I'll return to it when I feel like some McD gaming.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive just started it after renting and honestly it had me right up until it introduced sailing. God, sailing is just so fuckin tedious and unfun.

Yeah I noped out of Origins due to the side quest and not really getting Bayek and co, but Odyssey still has me hooked occasionally. Playing Alexios too, which by Era' standards should have made the game 200% worse.
Alexios can be gay so he's atleast just as good as Kassandra tbh