• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT: This thread is for people who want to discuss their feelings about microtransactions in Gran Turismo. If you are only here to system war or make community generalizations, don't post.

Credits goes to @RobotBrush on Twitter for pointing that out:

DjWcgxwW4AECg4U.jpg
DjWfkUNW0AE0IdF.jpg
DjWcoOTXsAEDRsp.jpg

Link to the Eurogamer article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-big-new-update-introduces-microtransactions

Gran Turismo Sport's big July update - which brings Polyphony Digital's PlayStation 4 racer up to version 1.23 - has just dropped, bringing with it new cars, a new track and, for the first time with this particular iteration of Gran Turismo, microtransactions that allow players to buy existing cars within the game.

Opinion/line of thoughts: It seems that after the poor launch of the game and ensuing low sales, Polyphony Digital changed its course and decided to introduce microtransactions in GT Sports, despite claiming almost a year ago now that it definitely wouldn't.

UPDATE:
Ok Mr. Ethomaz, you want your proof, here's your proof.
First 10 seconds.

LordKano Add this interview, it's litterally the first seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
So, don't use them? Cars cost as much credits as before...

Btw., your "poor launch of the game" comment kinda gave it away OP..

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah they pretty much lied or waited for reviews to come in before launching this. Pretty disgusting.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
I think the article is unclear as the question isn't actually quoted. There is also a translation issue to be considered.

Are there other sources?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Honestly, I don't mind it. Getting in-game credits is not hard nor grindy.

I wish other games like SFV gave more in game credits out. Hell arcade mode in that game doesn't even give you XP.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I thought at some point they made clear that they would add MTX eventually.

edit: Nvm read that somewhere on a forum but can't actually find a source.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
turning them off doesn't make them not exist anymore lmao
You're still trying to set a narrative. They are only there for people who don't want to buy them using in game currency, or who want to fast track to a particular car. I mean, he's not wrong there. This isn't really the same as selling vehicles and tracks as DLC.

Sure, that could still happen, but maybe you should be a bit more clear with your OP instead of trying to frame this as something it currently isn't.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
Aaand the game is ruined. Thank you dear companies who turned videogames into slot machines. You know who you are.

RacerBest

Nov 3, 2017
Well yeah they said they wouldn't add microtransactions but still I don't really see how this is a problem. There is no exclusive content for real money and you can only buy cheaper cars with microtransactions. The more expensive cars in the game still have to be earned by playing, so people who use real money can't get expensive cars any faster than other players.

If they change the game to give less credits from races then this could be something to get angry about but right now I don't see any real problem here.

Oct 27, 2017
What hasn't changed however is you're still getting free content updates (cars, tracks, features) on a monthly basis. The July udpate, in which this feature was already pointed out, can be discussed in this non inflammatory thread for those who are actually interested in the game ^_^

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
What a crazy world we live where Forza 7 gets rid of them and GT adds them in lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cars cost exactly the same number of credits they cost before... and you still have the option of buying them

I'm honestly struggling to see the issue here. Am I missing something?

Nobody said that the situation is worse than before though. The purpose of this thread is to point how the situation changed in the course of a year and how it's now contradicting the pre-launch communications.

...that is literally what it does.

no

You're still trying to set a narrative. They are only there for people who don't want to buy them using in game currency, or who want to fast track to a particular car. I mean, he's not wrong there. This isn't really the same as selling vehicles and tracks as DLC.

Sure, that could still happen, but maybe you should be a bit more clear with your OP instead of trying to frame this as something it currently isn't.

What exactly is not clear in the OP ? Everything is quoted from articles.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Normally I'd be on OPs side, cuz even "ignorable" microtransactions tend to affect game design... but if people saying it doesn't affect game design and all in-game prices are completely same as they were before, than this is literally the exact kind of "player choice" addition publishers tend to pretend MTs are.

If you wanna raise concern of it normalizing the idea and training the audience for next game in the series to introduce them for real, I get you. But as is, looks harmless.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Aaand the game is ruined. Thank you dear companies who turned videogames into slot machines. You know who you are.

How is it ruined? Nothing within the game economy has changed, and people buying stronger cars doesn't make them better or give them an advantage because that's not how the Sport Races work.

You get a random free prize car when you hit your daily miles, or when you win a series of events / milestones. Other than that, it all revolves around the game economy. Everything is quite literally still free within the game, and it absolutely isn't tough to get those cars.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They lied to us, I hope they charge money for cars and tracks from this day on because they never said they were going to be free before game launched.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If the issue people had with GT6 was that it sold completely optional credits packs that otherwise left the in-game economy unchanged, then this isn't really very different and seems equally worthy of concern. Arguably it's worse in GT Sport because of the heavy emphasis on online racing. Does turning off microtransactions in your game prevent you from racing with anyone who's purchased the cars for themselves?

That said, if it's really quite easy to earn credits now and buy what you want, then I doubt this will have a huge effect on the game. I'm just saying that if people were concerned about GT6, they have roughly equal reason to be concerned now.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The more expensive cars (like the 15-20 million cars) cannot be bought this way, only cars under 2 million.

edit: of course, if we're strictly talking about the devs saying one thing and then doing another, than yeah, that's exactly what they did.

Last edited:

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they add this and let the dev team keep their job then to not add it and lead to unemployment for the workers

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cars cost exactly the same number of credits they cost before... and you still have the option of buying them

I'm honestly struggling to see the issue here. Am I missing something?

Didn't Forza did the same and received backlash? Many games allows to use real money as a shortcut and it raised many eyebrows in the past...

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if you turn them off in the menu, then PD literally did not lie.

Making them invisible in a menu don't make them not exist.

The OP didn't even mention that the more expensive cars (like the 15-20 million cars) cannot be bought this way, only cars under 2 million.

Not that the OP wasn't hilariously transparent enough with his trolling. What an awful thread.

Point of this thread isn't to talk about the content of the update itself, because you have already a very detailed thread for that, but only to point out the contradiction in Polyphony Digital's communication. If you can't handle that discussion, maybe you should just stop reading the thread.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can turn them off in the options menu.

There was no change to the in game economy. Tracks, cars and everything else continues to be free with monthly updates.

Nice try trying to set a narrative though.

The narrative is a company said they wouldn't do something and then did it.

It's pretty cut and dry.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You can turn them off in the options menu.

There was no change to the in game economy. Tracks, cars and everything else continues to be free with monthly updates.

Nice try trying to set a narrative though.

There's no 'narrative'. It's a simple point. They said there wouldn't be microtransactions as part of the updates and they've clearly gone back on that. OP didn't say it was an outrage or that the game is now terrible. It's an interesting development in a major franchise. Why so overly defensive?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just ignore them ?

It's not like they break the game or anything. The currency system hasn't changed, everything is the same, people can still buy cars with in game money but now people can also buy a car with real money if they want to.

They are still adding cars and tracks free every month, so it's not a big issue.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What exactly is not clear in the OP ? Everything is quoted from articles.

What you're trying to frame it as is "Microtransactions" while burying the important part behind a string of screenshots to frame your narrative.

These microtransactions are just to buy games in the game with real money, however, they are all still available with in-game currency (so no additional cost) and none of their values have changed. There is no F2P grind here. This is literally just early unlock for people who want that Mazda 787B now instead of winning some races to get it.

It doesn't break the game economy.

It doesn't break online play (no advantages).

It literally doesn't change anything about the game in a meaningful way, other than affording people with spare change to buy cars outright. You're trying to frame this as something completely different than that.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how to feel.

On one hand, they said game won't include Microtransactions.

Then they add them, but you have the option to "turn them off" thus making them not there. However they still exist as part of the game now from a design perspective.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
There's no 'narrative'. It's a simple point. They said there wouldn't be microtransactions as part of the updates and they've clearly gone back on that. OP didn't say it was an outrage or that the game is now terrible. It's an interesting development in a major franchise. Why so overly defensive?

The updates are literally all still free. Why the aversion to reading more than just the title?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
As long as everything still costs the same in-game and pay2win isn't a thing, I don't really see a problem.

...but then I would question what the hell the point of adding microtransactions is at that point, especially since they went out of their way to say this wasn't going to happen before. Is this going to be a focus going forward?

And no, being able to "turn them off" doesn't change anything.