• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
JohnOfMars

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
You guys have to duke it out in rock, paper, scissors. That's the only way. Winner takes all.

New Monarch is rock.
FWC is scissors.
Dead Orbit is paper.

Someone suggested that Faction Rallies should have snow balls, but they're whatever color you've pledged. So you could paint patrol and the Tower with your faction's colors to establish their territory. I think that's a neat idea.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Destiny community as bad as it seems is way better than other communities. People are just having heated opinions here and there. People have the right to their opinions. Threats and the likes are a no no however.

Playing competitive Smash and being knee deep in the Gears of War scene...I've seen some ugly stuff. Plus, being an asshole from New Jersey, I just have this I'm-gonna-keep-it-real-and-not-sugar-coat-shit frame of mind. Being nasty does no one any favors of course. But I'm not about coddling fragile egos or putting on fake smiles. No one wants to deal with constant doom and gloom. That isn't fun. It's tiresome.

I'm just brutally honest. I have a tendency to say stuff people don't want to hear and communicate in ways that make folks uncomfortable. It's how I am. I impose high standards on myself, so in some ways, I demand the same from my peers and things I consume. Sounds crazy, but I'm my own worst critic.

I want this game to be excellent. Good enough to me isn't good enough. Bungie's far too talented to be that complacent. Yeah, I might have 500, 600, 700 hours, or whatever, clocked in this game. But how I see it, if it were in the state that it should be, I'd have 1000 hours clocked in it. I wanna play it more. I want to recommend the game to more of my friends. But as things are, I can't do that in good faith.

Better days are coming. But after a while, you get tired of being told to wait. The better days do need to come, or rather, should have been here by now. That's really the reason why people are so overwhelmingly upset. We all thought the bad times were behind us, but history somehow repeats itself. We're back at square one.

The Destiny community is by far one of the nicest, most inclusive gaming communities out there. Even with all of the drama and negativity, it's still superior. Because when the good times are good, they're REALLY good.

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda dig the Dead Orbit Titan set with all the ornaments unlocked and the Noble Constant Red shader (put the Endless Glory shader on the chest to keep the tactical gear black).

Bungie should really consider adding Exotic gear-level perks to complete armor sets. Nothing crazy but since you have to sacrifice an Exotic to wear a complete armor set at least something along the lines of a single current/past Exotic perk.

Using this somewhat down/controversial time in Destiny 2's life to get my PC characters up to snuff. Titan and Hunter (one of two) up to 330 PL to go along with my three 335 PL characters on Xbox. I love character progression even if the number is more meaningless than it's ever been. Just give me something to keep working towards and I'd be rather content...

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, two questions today.

First: Is the Destiny fanbase's fixation with scout rifles more because of console things or the original season 1 balance? Or am I missing something with their design on PC?

With a 150 RPM hand cannon which typically has 9-13 bullets in it, each shot hits harder to the point where I can expect to one-shot a Vex Goblin without too much fuss and on PC with the low zoom on hand cannon ADS, I usually find it pretty trivial to chain rapid precision shots on a weak point. Compare that to a 150 RPM scout rifle (Which is as slow and impactful as they get from what I can tell), and while you can look forward to about 14-17 count magazines pretty regularly, Vex Goblins usually require two precision shots to take out which is often made a bit harder by the more significant zoom scout rifles get that I feel exaggerates the gun's recoil too much.

It's probably balanced strictly against magazine size and the zoom, but running around with a Dire Promise recently which I can get up to 16 shots out of a single reload pretty easily, I'm starting to wonder what the point is.

Second: With the changes to weapons in season 2, what weapons are worth pursuing from the Faction Rally? I think I've got everything but the True Prophecy from F.W.C., but I don't have a clue what else I should target. Suggestions appreciated.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, two questions today.

First: Is the Destiny fanbase's fixation with scout rifles more because of console things or the original season 1 balance? Or am I missing something with their design on PC?

With a 150 RPM hand cannon which typically has 9-13 bullets in it, each shot hits harder to the point where I can expect to one-shot a Vex Goblin without too much fuss and on PC with the low zoom on hand cannon ADS, I usually find it pretty trivial to chain rapid precision shots on a weak point. Compare that to a 150 RPM scout rifle (Which is as slow and impactful as they get from what I can tell), and while you can look forward to about 14-17 count magazines pretty regularly, Vex Goblins usually require two precision shots to take out which is often made a bit harder by the more significant zoom scout rifles get that I feel exaggerates the gun's recoil too much.

It's probably balanced strictly against magazine size and the zoom, but running around with a Dire Promise recently which I can get up to 16 shots out of a single reload pretty easily, I'm starting to wonder what the point is.

Second: With the changes to weapons in season 2, what weapons are worth pursuing from the Faction Rally? I think I've got everything but the True Prophecy from F.W.C., but I don't have a clue what else I should target. Suggestions appreciated.
Hand cannons have more bloom on consoles so they are more likely to randomly fail to hit distant targets. Scout rifles are more reliable at distance on console.

There aren't really many weapon changes or new weapons in season 2 so I think all the guides from the original rally would still be applicable.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more of the ornaments weren't just reskins. It's really only most of the New Monarchy ones and I think the FWC Titan helm that aren't.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So, two questions today.

Scout Rifles are really only great for PVP.
For PVE, Nameless Midnight is pretty good because of the explosive rounds dealing bonus damage and causing stagger. There's no reason to use any other Scout for PVE, as ARs will outperform them in almost all situations.

In terms of what Faction Rally weapons to collect (with a PVP focus):
- The Number (FWC AR) is still a good alternative to Uriel's Gift and Positive Outlook.
- Maxim XI (NM Sniper) is one of the best snipers, if you're into using those.
- Stochastic Variable (FWC SMG) is a good energy SMG.
- Dire Promise (DO HC) is one of the best for its archetype.
- Pleiades Corrector (FWC Scout) is a competitive energy Scout.

Everything else is hot garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
You forgot the best scout in the game, the Manannan SR4.

So I just started CoO on my third PC character, leveled from 20-25 and got a Bright Engram for each level...go to Tess, I have zero Bright Engrams to turn in, WTH?

Last edited:

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Destiny 2 is a fundamentally flawed game with a design core which I dislike on a level that updates and QoL patches won't ever fix. I don't like double primaries, I don't like the slow TTK, I don't like the bloom, I don't like the clunky terrible weapon handling, I don't like how slow scoping down sights is, I don't like the delay in recovering radar coming out of sights, I don't like juggling my inventory/postmaster/vault every single time I open a package because the mod page is stupid, I don't like how much slower movement feels. Destiny 2 is, for me, a major downgrade from D1 in every way that counts (how fun it feels to move around and shoot).

tenor.gif

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You forgot the best scout in the game, the Manannan SR4.

So I just started CoO on my third PC character, leveled from 20-25 and got a Bright Engram for each level...go to Tess, I have zero Bright Engrams to turn in, WTH?
If your third character is the same class as one of your original two characters this is a known issue on Bungie's list since CoO. Bug related to their code that was designed to keep extra powerful engrams from dropping if you ran 2+ hunters or warlocks or titans to stop that from being an advantage over players with one of each class.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The Destiny 1 vanilla rose-tinted glasses is something I do not understand at all. I honestly think people who stuck through the updates have a bit of a skewed impression of what was in it and what wasn't, and it seems like it's the lack of microtransactions (understandable) weapon system people miss most (which also was super damn problematic in different ways but apparently the raw number of different loadouts matters most to people?). Or, they compare Year One in its entirety to Destiny 2 at launch, which is kind of dumb (in this specific comparison, outside of the fact that they should be doing better building off of D1 as a whole).

As someone who never bought any of the expansions and only stuck around as long as Destiny 2 has been out thus far, it's really night and day how much better the final product is. Destiny 1 was egregiously grindy, monotonous, and insanely limited in the endgame activities relative to Destiny 2. Like, even if you feel that way about Destiny 2, Destiny 1 was SO MUCH WORSE. But my other suspicion is that the people complaining the most are those that do play 24/7 and actually prefer those egregiously grindy and repetitive daily tasks and strictly RNG-and-pray loot grind that characterized Destiny 1 launch.

Oct 27, 2017
If your third character is the same class as one of your original two characters this is a known issue on Bungie's list since CoO. Bug related to their code that was designed to keep extra powerful engrams from dropping if you ran 2+ hunters or warlocks or titans to stop that from being an advantage over players with one of each class.

That would be the reason then as I have two Hunters and a Titan on PC (one of each class on Xbox), oh well.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The Destiny 1 vanilla rose-tinted glasses is something I do not understand at all. I honestly think people who stuck through the updates have a bit of a skewed impression of what was in it and what wasn't, and it seems like it's the lack of microtransactions (understandable) weapon system people miss most (which also was super damn problematic in different ways but apparently the raw number of different loadouts matters most to people?). Or, they compare Year One in its entirety to Destiny 2 at launch, which is kind of dumb (in this specific comparison, outside of the fact that they should be doing better building off of D1 as a whole).

As someone who never bought any of the expansions and only stuck around as long as Destiny 2 has been out thus far, it's really night and day how much better the final product is. Destiny 1 was egregiously grindy, monotonous, and insanely limited in the endgame activities relative to Destiny 2. Like, even if you feel that way about Destiny 2, Destiny 1 was SO MUCH WORSE. But my other suspicion is that the people complaining the most are those that do play 24/7 and actually prefer those egregiously grindy and repetitive daily tasks and strictly RNG-and-pray loot grind that characterized Destiny 1 launch.

Most people are comparing Destiny 2 to Year 3 Destiny 1. I never really played Year 1 Destiny. I only really really started playing last summer. So, no "rose-tinted glasses" here.

I will say that at least in Year 1 there appears to have been something to grind for. Once you do the things in Destiny 2, that's it. There's not much else to play for. Destiny 1's problems were mainly that it was really extreme in how much you needed to play. The core gameplay was so fun you could play through ages of no content. Destiny 2 has a very decent amount of content, with no reason to do any of it, and the gameplay is decidedly slower and less powerful. Why play Destiny 2's mediocre, average campaign and uneventful quests, if I could play any number of other games that also let me use auto rifles, scout rifles, etc. Destiny 1 had a gameplay loop that was unique and exquisite. Destiny 2's gameplay is still very good, but disappointing, and not really something that makes me excited to sit down and play, especially since it killed how often you get to use shotguns, snipers, grenades and abilities, which were things I really appreciated about Destiny 1 and set it apart.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
New Monarch is rock.
FWC is scissors.
Dead Orbit is paper.

Someone suggested that Faction Rallies should have snow balls, but they're whatever color you've pledged. So you could paint patrol and the Tower with your faction's colors to establish their territory. I think that's a neat idea.
With that I think they should introduce a new squid character type for players to play as.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
The biggest thing that kept me going in D1 were the rolls on weapons when playing crucible. The combination of fun PvP and the chance for a sweet roll is magical. That missing aspect alone has killed that daily playing for hours like D1. That type of chase is lacking so bad

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I used to not like random rolls, but I felt like there were ways to fix them. But at this point the more I play the more I realize I just want random rolls. Masterworks just doesn't do it. It's a great idea, and heck I wouldn't mind it layerd on top of random rolls, but it doesn't fill that need. Everything is just so pointless right now.

I'm glad for the armor ornament grinds. Those feel satisfying to me. Just wish some of them had a bit more effort.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Ophidian Aspect, when shaded with the default Dawning shader (forgot the name) looks like it matches with the Winterhart set better than the actual set gloves:

cPE4jia.png

Their bonus effect is fucking killer: greatly increased readying and reloading of all weapons, and increased melee range. It's going to be hard to put these suckers down.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
They are. Maps, weapons and gear really help elevate them. If you aren't factoring in those, by themselves it's pretty balanced. I say more balanced than D1. Warlocks and Titans have things to help them out so I wouldn't call it something like a 10 - 0 match up. It's more like 6 - 4 and that depends on the map.

Nah, nightstalker is completely out of line on console but that's really the only egregious stand out but it still breaks the whole thing (kinda like sunsingers in d1). And really it's only because of the aim assist thing, an easy "fix" that they have said nothing about. I'm 5 matches in this week of trials and have already faced 2 4x nightstalkers teams. This does not happen with any other subclass, ever.

And someone had said recently that against sweaty players you gotta use the best subclasses etc and one of these 4 nstalkers teams that i faced today had 2 2.8kds, 1 2.2kd and an average player (1. something) and my team was 2 gunslingers, a nstalker and me running arcstrider, so basically the weakest subclass and the scoreboard was this:

unknown.png

Of course they left because 4x nightstalker teams can't take the loss even when they cheese. But the point is that people running these cheese subclasses doesnt mean you can't beat them with "inferior" subclasses, just that they are stacking the odds as much as they can for themselves and they still lose.

Last edited:

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Nah, nightstalker is completely out of line on console but that's really the only egregious stand out but it still breaks the whole thing (kinda like sunsingers in d1). And really it's only because of the aim assist thing, an easy "fix" that they have said nothing about. I'm 5 matches in this week of trials and have already faced 2 4x nightstalkers teams. This does not happen with any other subclass, ever.

It's not a definite. I run into far more Nighstalkers in regular PVP than I do in trials. I would call them annoying but not overpowered. I do fine against them even high level ones. Then again I play way more cautious than the average player.

Seeing a lot of people use tone patrol. Is it supposed to be good or something.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

Not rose tinted glasses but rather different priorities.

Are you in it for the campaign? Vanilla was ass, TTK was better, D2 was much better. Same with Patrol, same with matchmaking / social options and much more.

In it for a reasonable economy / loot drop system? Vanilla was ass, TTK was much better, D2 somewhere in between (good economy, Tokens are meh though)

In it for the core shooting / moving aspect? Vanilla shits on TTK (which neutered Hand Cannons), which in turn shits on D2 in so many ways I won't even bother to list them again.

So yeah, if Destiny was first and foremost a shooter for you (like it was for me), it's been downhill since the day TTK released, then straight off a cliff and down into hell with D2.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
There are people who say they hate the grind but loved everything else about D1. Nothing rose tinted about that. It's been said a billion times already that D1 had better movement and fun weapons.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Whether you personally partake in twitch or not, it certainly was a nice free advertising boost for bungie.

PUBG and fortnite are big right now and a lot of people like them for some reason, they're also very suited to streaming. Meanwhile Trials which was the big attraction for destiny twitch streams in the past is not in a great state, and destiny 2 as a whole doesn't really feel designed to be played day in, day out on twitch if you don't like the PvP (no random rolls to promote that exciting slot machine feel, etc).

That said as someone who doesn't really watch that stuff I won't miss it. Datto does nice dps videos though. Might as well embed datto's video here rather than a Reddit comment summarizing it.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Whether you personally partake in twitch or not, it certainly was a nice free advertising boost for bungie.

PUBG and fortnite are big right now and a lot of people like them for some reason, they're also very suited to streaming. Meanwhile Trials which was the big attraction for destiny twitch streams in the past is not in a great state, and destiny 2 as a whole doesn't really feel designed to be played day in, day out on twitch if you don't like the PvP (no random rolls to promote that exciting slot machine feel, etc).

That said as someone who doesn't really watch that stuff I won't miss it. Datto does nice dps videos though.

I guess so, I just never once gave any of that stuff thought one bit as watching someone game couldn't be any more boring. So it's truly something that could be gone off the face of the earth and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

I guess for just publicity it's helpful but overall just never got into it.

I just can't get over how D2 has turned out. I remember when D1 was out everyone sayin oh these will be issues fixed in D2 and man... Just man

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Good, no one cares about Goth, and Datto is wrong more than half the time.

Also, streamers/youtubers =/= community. They move around all the time, focusing on whatever gets them their views and subs.
He created guardiancon and did two highly successful charity streams for st judes but ok man. Chill

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
woo~~ Got my 100th prestige NF clear and 21st prestige calus tonight, thanks team. Probably should focus on Switch now :)
50smJgn.jpg

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys I'm going to say right now.

I used to advocate for the nightfall timer being removed, because typically I hate timers.

But I was wrong. They legitimately add a good focus and urgency to the event, and normal nightfalls are never too hard, even with a really hairy run. Beating a prestige nightfall with the timer is awesome too. It gets you off your ass, and you have to think about your loadout, and really communicate. Without it, there's really not much reason for skill.

That said, if they can return the timer ala Destiny 1 where there are bonus rewards for doing it before the timer, all is not lost imo.

Also Torrent + Hallowfire Heart + Thermite Grenade = I can't see anything and it's great.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Content creators jumping ship isn't something that will harm the game at all. Rather it is a sign of how much interest has waned. Basically it's a symptom, not the disease.

SirD, Wish, DrLupo, Saturday and many others are doing Fortnite, Poshy and Lumi are on Overwatch, Anbu plays CoD wagers, I've seen Kraftyy playing Fortnite lately too etc.

If the audience for Destiny content isn't there, these people are bound to follow the public to engage in more active games.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Also, streamers/youtubers =/= community. They move around all the time, focusing on whatever gets them their views and subs.

Datto brought a lot more to the community than...whatever it is you're saying he did. Goth can fuck off for all I care, but Datto is a cornerstone. Losing him is not a good sign

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

Hold up. Excuse me, but what?

Destiny's presence on both Twitch and Youtube is essentially dead. Every major content creator has moved on or plans to very shortly. Down playing their influence and how profound of a statement that is so fundamentally ignorant and naive. They're not the entire community, but they drive a huge part of it. Their absence is another big blow to the game's reputation and current overall state.

Generally, yes, content creators adapt in order to stay relevant. But rarely do you see a mass exodus like this from one specific game. That's not a good look at all. It reinforces everything I said earlier: It's time to be scared. It's time to be serious. More so than ever before. They can't afford any more mistakes.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you aren't a huge Datto fan you gotta admit him dropping it is a bad sign, and it was really sad to here. You could hear in his update post the disappointment in his voice. It's clear to him that Destiny will never be the deep, crazy game he wants to sink his teeth into, and to the extent that was true in D1, he was fine with it, because he loved the game and community, but Destiny 2? Who knows.

Guardian: Is that enemy on fire?

Hallowfire Heart wearing Guardian: They could be even more on fire.

I love that combo. It, unfortunately, results in many of my Guardian's deaths because I can't see incoming fire.

That is EXACTLY why I was dying to fire so much haha.