• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the launch of Forsaken as well as Destiny 2 becoming a part of PS+ Destiny 2 daily users population has exploded

http:///AjUc.jpg

Note this only includes players tracked by Destiny Tracker website. This does not cover the entire userbase so actually player count is higher

https://destinytracker.com

I would also like to add Destiny 2 population has been very healthy ever since the 2nd expansion Warmind released.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Best Buy is giving away copies with other game purchases too, including Spider-Man. Locally I'm seeing the game for like 80% off. They're doing anything they can to get it in people's hands.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was it pre PS+?

It's been pretty healthy ever since the Warmind expansion released after dropping VERY low when the 1st expansion Curse of Osiris came out.

Its last notable number was when Solstice of Heroes came out it did over 1 million daily players.

Still Forsaken / PS+ has led to a huge increase in player numbers

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
As great as Forsaken is, kind of meaningless without context of what it was before Forsaken dropped, and before both Forsaken dropped and it went on PS+.

I'm sure some of those crappy grab bag indie games they throw in every PS+ month see similar kinds of numbers based off of people trying them alone.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
I stopped playing this game a few weeks after release. I'm presuming I would have to buy all the expansions to date to take part in the latest stuff?
of course you would need to. that's the point of expansions. you want new stuff you buy them.

you'll need the expansion pass (osiris/warmind) and then Forsaken. there is also an annual pass on top of Forsaken. I paid £55 for the base game. £30 for the expansion pass. and £70 for Forsaken + Annual Pass.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Around 1M in the beginning of Solstice of Heroes event (early August).

That's a really healthy jump. Well done to them. They went hard to boost the player base through physical reductions/offers and PS+ and it seems to be working. Shame they didn't get it right in the first place.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Can we kill the lame argument about pve, not on here but everywhere else, being a thing of the past? twice as many players play against the computer rather than online. Game developers take note of this and don't forget about us hardworking loyal gamers that care less about playing online. I downloaded the game off psn and have yet to play it.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I didn't say there were.

You're implying that the main reason the game has seen such a population surge is because of the cheap price for basegame, when that cheap price has held for several months and the game was still low on the Most Played games list for Xbox Live for months.

This resurgence is largely thanks to Forsaken. Which no store is practically giving away.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
just like the first game...it was a bad launch and got better by the time of the first major expansion. i'm not defending bungie because they really should've just built on D1 instead of changing/removing so much. hopefully with D3 they learn this lesson and continue to build upon D2 instead of taking a huge step backwards.

I've loved D2 since launch but with Forsaken it really feels like D1 now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
You're implying that the main reason the game has seen such a population surge is because of the cheap price for basegame, when that cheap price has held for several months and the game was still low on the Most Played games list for Xbox Live for months.

This resurgence is largely thanks to Forsaken. Which no store is practically giving away.
Read my post, I didn't imply anything about the main reason. I just stated another way the game was getting numbers that wasn't mentioned in the OP. If PS+ is a legitimate thing to mention, so are other giveaways. Is there anything else you'd like to falsely attribute to me?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
*prepares summoning ritual*

well earned rejuvenation. Now, don't let up, Bungle.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as part of that resurgence. Forsaken looks like too much fun to pass up so our group is jumping back in despite not having played the expansions.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped playing this game a few weeks after release. I'm presuming I would have to buy all the expansions to date to take part in the latest stuff?
I'm not sure what the divide is on core system changes vs new content. Like, the changes to the weapon slot system are universal but I don't know if you can find bows universally. I remember the first game was really weird about finding sidearms and swords since they were added in expansions.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Read my post, I didn't imply anything about the main reason. I just stated another way the game was getting numbers that wasn't mentioned in the OP. If PS+ is a legitimate thing to mention, so are other giveaways. Is there anything else you'd like to falsely attribute to me?

...but you used it in a way that gives it more prominence than its effect likely really has. It's a tactic to discount the notion that maybe people just like the content they're being given, and instead says that the only way they can get people to play the game is to practically give it away.

Maybe people are just fine paying full price for the game if they feel the content is now worth it? It's unlikely that the majority of those players are coming from cheaper sources.

Oct 31, 2017
Making Destiny 2 one of the free games with PS+ in September was a brilliant marketing strategy by them, no doubt. It gives the ability to leverage these numbers, which are valid, if not a bit disingenuous when talking about the current state of Destiny 2, while also giving a 'taste' of the product, right before the newest hotness product is for sale.

Especially when you factor in that the PS+ players, in order to get the new Forsaken expansion, they have to buy the first year's "expansions" too, even though they are pretty redundant in the scheme of the game at this point.

Like, I'm a lapsed Destiny 1 player. Thought about picking up D2 at launch, but didn't. With the free D2 for September, I of course decided to download it and give it a shot. But now all the buzz surrounds the newest expansion, but I have to pony up some serious money if I want get in on that. Even buying things that I probably will hardly experience at all.

Those folks at Bungie & Activision-Blizzard are pretty slick...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
...but you used it in a way that gives it more prominence than its effect likely really has. It's a tactic to discount the notion that maybe people just like the content they're being given, and instead says that the only way they can get people to play the game is to practically give it away.

Maybe people are just fine paying full price for the game if they feel the content is now worth it? It's unlikely that the majority of those players are coming from cheaper sources.
So you would like to continue putting words in my mouth then. Okay great, there's no point in engaging because you're just going to read whatever you want to see.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Forsaken and it being free with PS+, it was enough to make me come back. So far, I'm having fun playing the game again.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Uh, a lot of people aren't paying full price for the game.

Getting into Forsaken if you don't own the base game is more expensive than if you do. So, the base game being free in several outlets is, in effect, dropping the price of entry to Forsaken for many. People who were burned by the vanilla game and no longer own it and people that have previously heard bad things about the base game are now hearing good things about Forsaken are more likely to buy at a discount price.

This is EXACTLY the thought process Bungie is using. Give them the game for FREE, and then they have a much higher chance of buying into Forsaken now because it will be cheaper and the reception has been positive. It's called striking while the iron is hot.

In fact, some of these people are ITT. Check quote below:

With Forsaken and it being free with PS+, it was enough to make me come back. So far, I'm having fun playing the game again.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
With all the ways you can get it free right now and the seemingly positive buzz on Forsaken, I'm not shocked. I sold my copy that came with my PS4 Pro, but I'm considering diving in since it costs me nothing to try.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

Getting into Forsaken if you don't own the base game is more expensive than if you do. So, the base game being free in several outlets is, in effect, dropping the price of entry to Forsaken for many. People who were burned by the vanilla game and no longer own it and people that have previously heard bad things about the base game are now hearing good things about Forsaken are more likely to buy at a discount price.

This is EXACTLY the thought process Bungie is using. Give them the game for FREE, and then they have a much higher chance of buying into Forsaken now because it will be cheaper and the reception has been positive. It's called striking while the iron is hot.

The problem with that is that base game is the only thing that's cheap. You're still paying full price if you want everything, not just Forsaken. And Forsaken even *requires* both Expac 1 and 2 in order to even play that content. Which is still $60. It's actually cheaper to pay $60, because otherwise—in many places—you'd be paying for Destiny2 *twice* by not getting the collection.

People aren't getting into the game from cheaper sources, because the cheapest way to play the game is to either already own base game plus expacs 1 and 2, or buy the collection.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
of course you would need to. that's the point of expansions. you want new stuff you buy them.

you'll need the expansion pass (osiris/warmind) and then Forsaken. there is also an annual pass on top of Forsaken. I paid £55 for the base game. £30 for the expansion pass. and £70 for Forsaken + Annual Pass.

This is exactly why I'll never go back to D2.. I don't know why people support this.. they make you pay for expansions that you don't even need anymore and also they let you know you will have to pay again soon.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Almost every person on my friend list that played Destiny 2 day one, and after leaved, returned to Forsaken and the opinions and the engagement are great.
Some of this players are from the PS+ offer, but is secure to say that the original player base is returning and to stay.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

Giving the game for free allows them to play the 2.0 update and entice them into buying Forsaken. That is the only part of your statement that is true.

Forsaken is $40 and I think the DLCs can be found for $10 each, so that's a total of $60 to get into Forsaken with the free base game. Or you could buy the Legendary Collection for $60 and it also comes with the base game, both DLCs, and Forsaken. The game being free on PS+ right now doesn't affect the price someone would have to pay to play Forsaken one bit. It simply opens the game up to a bigger audience that then get sucked into the game and pay for the expansion that they might not have otherwise bought without the free base game to try out.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
It was a nice marketing move putting the game on PS+... it didn't matter now if you have or not the game before Forsaken with PS+ you will Forsaken for around the same as anybody that has the full Year 1.

Said that the game now is finally in the active population saw in Destiny original.

It will probably beat it if Bungie delivery good Year 2 updates.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Giving the game for free allows them to play the 2.0 update and entice them into buying Forsaken. That is the only part of your statement that is true.

Forsaken is $40 and I think the DLCs can be found for $10 each, so that's a total of $60 to get into Forsaken with the free base game. Or you could buy the Legendary Collection for $60 and it also comes with the base game, both DLCs, and Forsaken. The game being free on PS+ right now doesn't affect the price someone would have to pay to play Forsaken one bit. It simply opens the game up to a bigger audience that then get sucked into the game and pay for the expansion that they might not have otherwise bought without the free base game to try out.
Honestly they should just make the base game a free download permanently since the real price is in the expansions.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I still walk around creepy empty areas on PC every now and then and wonder if that's what it's going to feel like when the population tanks for everyone else.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I still walk around creepy empty areas on PC every now and then and wonder if that's what it's going to feel like when the population tanks for everyone else.

PC population is fine. If you walk into an empty area just go to orbit and load back in. This happens on all platforms

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I both want to get back into D2 and really, really don't want to get back into D2.

Maybe I'll just stay away this time.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That would still make it cheaper for people that played early on and abandoned the game after buying the deluxe version at launch or purchasing the first season pass.

That's a lot of people... millions of people.

The other thing to point out is the OP is specifically about the explosive number of players on Destiny 2. This doesn't mean they're playing Forsaken. PS+ subscribers and people getting free copies of the base game absolutely are affecting the size of the player base.

Saying that PS+ isn't having much of an effect is silly. But a lot of it is also undoubtedly returning players for Forsaken.

The point is that people buying in at full price are not going to be the biggest part of this new player base. There's gonna be some, sure, but PS+ and returning players are going to be the majority.