• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

This is only part 1 of 3 parts.

Part 2 and 3 (Slated for this week) will focus on:

Looking Ahead to Looking Ahead
The rest of the Director's Cut updates are going to focus on Shadowkeep and the changes we're making this year. Here are some of the topics that will be included:
  • Supers and PVP in Destiny 2
  • Armor, Stats, Mods, and Tradeoffs
  • Powerful Sources, Prime Engrams and the World
  • Damage numbers, damage stacking rules
  • And more

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
well this first subheading is plainly untrue.

We set up a calendar of content, showed you the plan early, and delivered it.

In the 6/7/18 TWAB, they said
During each Season, all players can expect new rewards to earn, new Crucible maps and modes, improvements to gameplay features, recurring activities, special events, and more.

06072018_Annual_Pass.jpg

how many new crucible maps and modes did we get during each Y2 season: season of the forge, of the drifter, of opulence?

i believe the last crucible map added to the game was convergence (remake of pantheon) last september. so we are close to one whole year without new crucible maps. looking at that roadmap picture makes me chuckle a bit though --- new crucible maps and modes will be free to all players...we just won't make any!

Last edited:

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
well this first subheading is plainly untrue.

In the 6/7/18 TWAB, they said

how many new crucible maps and modes did we get during each Y2 season: season of the forge, of the drifter, of opulence?
That is the problem.....when most of people play the game enjoying the game...they will give a lot of benefit of doubt to devs.
I think the season pass is well worth it, but there is zero new map... since dec 2018?

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
The bit on eververse :

SEASON OF OPULENCE, PART II: THE EVOLVING EVERVERSE
Last year, we thought long and hard about Eververse and how we wanted to change the strategy around microtransactions in Destiny. As some folks have smartly pointed out, MTX is a big part of our business being a live game. I'm not going to say "MTX funds the studio" or "pays for projects like Shadowkeep" -- it doesn't wholly fund either of those things. But it does help fund ongoing development of Destiny 2, and allows us to fund creative efforts we otherwise couldn't afford. For example: Whisper of the Worm's ornaments were successful enough that it paid [dev cost-wise] for the Zero Hour mission/rewards to be constructed (this shit matters!).

The storefront, which we launched alongside Season of Opulence is the first part of the strategic shift we're making with MTX. The decision to run old content in Bright Engrams instead of making new Bright Engrams is another part of the shift. We want to believe that our players would rather just buy things they like from the store. Earlier this summer, we detailed a bunch of the changes coming to Bright Dust and Eververse this fall (and if you haven't read that, go check it out here).

The storefront is going to get another round of enhancements this fall, too. We're going to move it to the Director, so you don't have go to the Tower and see Tess to interact with it. We're giving it some Class specific content, so if you're on your Titan looking for Titan Universal Ornaments with smaller shoulders, you'll see Titan armor on one of the store's subpages. We're also going to make it so that the pieces you've already acquired from a given set reduce the Silver price of the set. For instance, if you are 3/5 Optimacy set on your Titan, the cost to finish the set in Silver will be reduced by 60%.

There are some other philosophies here that we haven't made explicitly clear:

We have made deliberate choices related to cosmetic items and not having them come from gameplay. Gameplay rewards are where you get items, power, mods, perk combinations, stats, triumphs, and titles. The aesthetics for armor blurs the line some – we want players to get cool armor from activities and the world that feel thematic to where they were acquired. Cosmetic items like universal ornaments, weapon ornaments, shaders, ships, sparrows, emotes, and finishers typically come from the store (There are exceptions, but generally speaking, that's how we think about this).

We are continuing to try and separate capability/gameplay from vanity. Armor 2.0 and Universal Ornaments are big parts of this separation. This is also why Finisher perks are mods that can be socketed into equipment, so that their aesthetic can stand alone.

As always, we welcome your feedback and thoughts.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Interesting: Only one version of Gambit will survive. Nothing else was all that earth-shaking...

I'm glad I got my preorder refunded. And after reading this, I guess I'm really out of the Destiny business.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Destiny has always been a mostly pve game, whilst I understand the frustration about pvp. But the game will always service the pve more.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Interesting: Only one version of Gambit will survive. Nothing else was all that earth-shaking...

I'm glad I got my preorder refunded. And after reading this, I guess I'm really out of the Destiny business.

They did say it would be 2 parts. Part 1 would be reflecting on the last 6 months of Destiny 2.

If that's a big enough issue for you to stop playing Destiny for good, its on you.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny has always been a mostly pve game, whilst I understand the frustration about pvp. But the game will always service the pve more.

This is true, but also ironic because their refusal to balance PvE and PvP separately has always been one of my biggest complaints about the game lol. I half keep up with Destiny news in hope that someday they will do that :/

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
PvP was pretty darn awesome in D1, but in hindsight I took that as there still probably being a lot of Halo devs left who have since then left.

I read this blog, and I realize I'm not really into the MMO stuff in Destiny after all. Not that it matters. It seems players are quite happy with the direction it's taken as of late. I logged in today and tried pursuing some of the new goals and the new seasonal event... Not gonna lie, it feels meaningless to me, but while I'm way into Destiny being MMO-like, I kind of dislike how it seems to be approaching full-on MMO now. I know that's what gets the playerbase to remain active, because less "wow-factor" shit in the game means they can trickle out more lightweight content with more substance of play than story or cool missions, but ideally I would still want a game like Destiny to feel the way Destiny 1 did, but with a good story and a shorter cycle between content drops. But I know that probably isn't good for a developer, as it leads to unstoppable crunch ad nauseum. Oh well.

Also, gotta say, looking at some new armors in the game and I can't help but think the artstyle just keeps getting worse. I was way into grinding for that spartan-like Titan gear in the first one, but recently when I look at geat in Destiny or even the somewhat raggedy level geomitry in Forsaken's main area, I started to feel like the art department has gone downhill a lot since the first Destiny and even core Destiny 2.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really dope to read these insights...puts a lot into perspective

Part 2 can't come soon enough!!

#Velveeta

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i agree on powerful sources feeling like a chore, gambit needing to have only one mode, his thoughts on how making powerful exotics like phx protocol, infinite ammo whisper, and snowball exotics limited encounter design in places like reckoning.

funny he says he was compelled to dig out an old scout rifle on the zero hour shanks when arbalest was a newer, shinier one-size-fits-all solution to to shields for that level.

i'm surprised that the UI team seemed taken aback by the feedback on the new pursuits tab. just maybe it could have used some more iterations before going live, and maybe don't wait a whole season before allowing the page to have a separate keybind.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If powerful gear and eververse are staying then I won't be coming back.

Until PS5 launches and there's nothing else to play...

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the irreverent style this was written in.

Lol, Whisper of the worm's day in court.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely an interesting post.

Though it seems to clearly outline some nerfs that are forthcoming. Well of Raidance and Lunafaction more specifically. He brings up the Well breaking the game mechanics more than once.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
This makes me wonder, how far back are they willing to go and "redo" old content?

Will they change how the synthesizer works to be more like the chalice?
What about Y1 armors? I love how some of them look, and even made the effort to grind them (I have all three EP armors), but because they don't have perks, I can't use them without feeling like I'm hampering myself.
Same with Y1 weapons, I grinded the shit out of all activities to get the all the lost prophecy weapons, only to never even bother equipping most of them because there were better alternatives.
Can't launch forges from orbit, instead have to haul ass halfway across the map because apparently the spaghetti code the engine is made out of is extra durable spaghetti that can't be un-spaghettified.
Sparrows on Mercury. See spaghetti comment above.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I do hope come October i can still not do PVP and get my GS up the same way ive done so far

Interested in reading the next posting

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely an interesting post.

Though it seems to clearly outline some nerfs that are forthcoming. Well of Raidance and Lunafaction more specifically. He brings up the Well breaking the game mechanics more than once.
This hurts my warlock soul.

We've been beaten down enough!

You took our skull, you took our warp and now you want our well?

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
PvP was pretty darn awesome in D1, but in hindsight I took that as there still probably being a lot of Halo devs left who have since then left.

I read this blog, and I realize I'm not really into the MMO stuff in Destiny after all. Not that it matters. It seems players are quite happy with the direction it's taken as of late. I logged in today and tried pursuing some of the new goals and the new seasonal event... Not gonna lie, it feels meaningless to me, but while I'm way into Destiny being MMO-like, I kind of dislike how it seems to be approaching full-on MMO now. I know that's what gets the playerbase to remain active, because less "wow-factor" shit in the game means they can trickle out more lightweight content with more substance of play than story or cool missions, but ideally I would still want a game like Destiny to feel the way Destiny 1 did, but with a good story and a shorter cycle between content drops. But I know that probably isn't good for a developer, as it leads to unstoppable crunch ad nauseum. Oh well.

Also, gotta say, looking at some new armors in the game and I can't help but think the artstyle just keeps getting worse. I was way into grinding for that spartan-like Titan gear in the first one, but recently when I look at geat in Destiny or even the somewhat raggedy level geomitry in Forsaken's main area, I started to feel like the art department has gone downhill a lot since the first Destiny and even core Destiny 2.

I'm genuinely curious peoples thoughts on why they feel D1 and D2 PvP feel different. It literally feels like the same thing to me, and I've played both for WAy too many hours lol.

Aside from the addition/change to some modes (like competitive, no To9, etc), everything else feels the same.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying you make these threads to aggravate shitposters? Interesting....

I kid, I kid. Or do I? Am I shitposting....right now???

I post about a game I enjoy; reading shitposters comments are entertaining as hell

I've never seen people so triggered by a video game when it comes to Destiny threads

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
There's still elements that I'm a bit disappointed he didn't touch on (Having weapons that can dominate PvE being locked behind PvP, whether it's worth prioritizing giving old content a fresher coat of paint over necessarily adding new content) but overall, it was fun to read his thoughts on things. Also dropped some nifty factoids which is cool.

If they offer regional pricing for Silver on Steam too (doubtful but you never know) then I'll definitely support them with a purchase for the things that I think look really cool.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
If powerful gear and eververse are staying then I won't be coming back.

Until PS5 launches and there's nothing else to play...
In what universe would Eververse be removed? The Game is literally going F2P in October and there needs to be a decent revenue stream that isn't just Annual Pass / Yearly Expacs. Besides, would you rather they just made all the cosmetics RNG Rolls / Quest Drops?

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Destiny has this weird grip on me. I play it a ton anytime a new expansion comes out, fade for a period of moths, and then randomly get sucked back in.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm genuinely curious peoples thoughts on why they feel D1 and D2 PvP feel different.
I liked the maps more in D1 and 6v6. It kind of had a flow to it, and it had that moon map with big vehicular fights and lots of sniping going on. I never liked Call of Duty and other close quarter combat games in shooters. Destiny 1 hit a "Halo" feel to me. D2 just doesn't ever do that.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Quite worried about the eververse stance. Yes having a clear distinction between aesthetic and function in regards to rewards is cool and all but I quite like the loop of getting bright engrams with consmetic loot. I just hope the bright dust economy is balanced enough that it's decently grindable.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Rewards for completing content/challenges etc.

You do get rewards for completing content/challenges. Its called Bright Dust bounties... in which you spend bright dust to buy the cosmetics you want. It's not like you can't get cosmetics without buying them for silver only

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quite worried about the eververse stance. Yes having a clear distinction between aesthetic and function in regards to rewards is cool and all but I quite like the loop of getting bright engrams with consmetic loot. I just hope the bright dust economy is balanced enough that it's decently grindable.

They aren't taking away Bright Engrams. I think the takeaway is that Bright Engrams will give older season stuff while the more current stuff will be sold in Eververse during its season.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was an interesting post. Looking forward to reading the other 2 during the week.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the right move by them too. They seem to struggle to really get PvP down and if it takes a lot of resources and requires nerfing and taking things away from the PvE side to accomplish it doesn't seem like a good source of time, especially when their PvE output has been pretty solid for the last year.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I liked the maps more in D1 and 6v6. It kind of had a flow to it, and it had that moon map with big vehicular fights and lots of sniping going on. I never liked Call of Duty and other close quarter combat games in shooters. Destiny 1 hit a "Halo" feel to me. D2 just doesn't ever do that.

Yea but I thought that even in D1 they scrapped that map (as well as any other 'vehicle' map). Like those weren't around that long in D1. It was more common in the D1 beta.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
For me, the biggest mistake that was made with Destiny is the fact they decided to make a sequel. Perhaps that was Activision's fault, but Bungie is paying the price.

Destiny 1 was absolutely amazing. The locales, the skyboxes, the tower, the mystery, it was all so grandiose. Throwing all of that away by means of creating a sequel to a game that was supposed to be a 10-year journey, feels like the biggest waste in gaming history.

I put over 300 hours into D1. I refunded D2 after 10 or so hours. It was an extreme disappointment. The only thing that would bring me back at this point is if the no time to explain chick somehow warped all of the armors, weapons, maps, game modes, etc back over to the second game. Let's do that.