• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
This was a great read but I don't know why I chose to read this thread. Off to the Destiny subreddit I go.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
What.

No. Horrible suggestion.

They serve no purpose beyond giving one team the ability to wipe a round. It's really boring to play bomb and you know the roaming titans can easily run around the map. Twice! Before running out of juice.

D1 had much better supers as Titans only had a single smash and a bubble, and warlocks had the great resurrection super. Brought so much variety to Trials games. Now it's just all invincible roaming shit.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
"shifting Powerful sources" - "want seasonal curation of the game" - what does this mean?

Should be interesting to have that revealed! I currently don't like that I have to keep checking what powerful reward will be reset each day.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The part about the devs looking at the subreddit for reactions to the pursuits stuff is sad, but a lot of the UI decisions they make are so bad. Even their solution for splitting the quests and bounties seems bad. It just doesn't make sense to me that any of this stuff is treated as an inventory with limited space. Items like the Chalice of Opulence or the Reckoning Synthesizer shouldn't be tucked away in something like that.

This was a great read but I don't know why I chose to read this thread. Off to the Destiny subreddit I go.
Either that or the OT maybe.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They serve no purpose beyond giving one team the ability to wipe a round. It's really boring to play bomb and you know the roaming titans can easily run around the map. Twice! Before running out of juice.

D1 had much better supers as Titans only had a single smash and a bubble, and warlocks had the great resurrection super. Brought so much variety to Trials games. Now it's just all invincible roaming shit.

*quietly ignores blade dancer, hammers and stormcaller*

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
The part about the devs looking at the subreddit for reactions to the pursuits stuff is sad, but a lot of the UI decisions they make are so bad. Even their solution for splitting the quests and bounties seems bad. It just doesn't make sense to me that any of this stuff is treated as an inventory with limited space. Items like the Chalice of Opulence or the Reckoning Synthesizer shouldn't be tucked away in something like that.

Good idea. So much hate for this game at times and I don't understand why.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the action vs RPG element he discussed and I came away from the article with no clear understanding where they stand on the issue. It sounds like you agree with me that it should more heavily weight towards the RPG element than it does right now. However, I can see the other perspective too. Would be nice to know where they stand lol

Yeah exactly

Really enjoyed getting some longer form analysis of the state of the game, looking forward to hearing more about the 'RPG' part of the game--it's current representation in gear progression is kind of awful in my mind.

I really wish that 'power' on gear would just be removed completely, it adds absolutely nothing to the experience, has no design purpose beyond arbitrarily gating content, and I guess, the psychology play of watching numbers get bigger despite actually doing nothing once you reach whatever 'gate' a given activity has. And as a resource sink as you grind through it. It's a source of false engagement, grinding for grinding's sake, and the game would lose nothing of value if it was simply gone. Or as others have mentioned, it could be made to actually mean something. That would take a lot more work though, so why not just kill it? The gear game, the RPG game doesn't disappear with those numbers because they aren't actually adding anything in the first place.

I agree that "powerful" gear needs to go, it adds nothing to the progression of the game except frustration that your forward progression is tied to RNG, and it is not like we get any more powerful from it since all lower level content has hidden power caps. We already have the concept of a character level, let's just use that and have people play the game to progress to max level at their own pace.

There are just too many roaming supers. D1 had 9 supers, 4 roaming, 4 not, and Radiance kinda being both. D2 had 9 at launch, 7/9 were roaming; and now we're up to 10/16 being roaming.

I feel for them as that moment kinda stung to read, but I also wonder how they can look at these solutions they're implementing and be OK with them compared to the feedback they've gotten. The new solution in the post also sucks because you can't easily take a look at the bounties. Items like the chalice/synth shouldn't be "quests" at all either.

Nov 14, 2017
Yes. I said that. I genuinely don't know what point you are trying to make.
When you say 'remove powerful gear', what do you mean by that? Do you mean not have gear power progression at all, or do you mean being able to hit max power by simply running strikes?

"shifting Powerful sources" - "want seasonal curation of the game" - what does this mean?

Should be interesting to have that revealed! I currently don't like that I have to keep checking what powerful reward will be reset each day.
The thing about powerful sources is how there are now a bajillion ways to get powerful gear, and it's kind of hard to explain how some of them give good power increases (+5 or even +10) and some only give +1. My view is that they need to rework power progression in Destiny pretty significantly.

Seasonal curation is how they want to be able to balance the game season by season. They've done that a little this season with the seasonal Opulance mods. They only slot into armour from this season and many of them only work on the Leviathan, which limits them to this season's activities and the Y1 raids.

Next season it looks like they are adding a seasonal 'artifact' that gives you extra perks that will only persist for that season. Basically, they want to be able to test things within a season and make each season a different sandbox experience without worrying that they are breaking the game for all time. It's a good attitude towards the game that shows they understand what kind of game they are making now.

That's exactly the action vs RPG element he discussed and I came away from the article with no clear understanding where they stand on the issue. It sounds like you agree with me that it should more heavily weight towards the RPG element than it does right now. However, I can see the other perspective too. Would be nice to know where they stand lol
They have started referring to Destiny as an action MMORPG. They want to push the game more in an RPG direction with character builds and seasonal progression.

Oct 27, 2017

I'll preface this with saying the art style and the way the game plays (especially on PC) is just a joy to experience but with how they directly come out and say or hint at the engine's shortcomings regarding having to remove stuff/can't implement changes easily, etc they simply must be restricted more than anyone can imagine given the decisions they make sometimes mostly concerning the UI/Director, etc. It's mind-boggling considering the very nature of what this game is (a huge constantly changing game with various destinations and a multitude of events/activities all wrapped up in a GAAS). I mean this type of game is about continually adding content and new play-spaces while making tweaks to all of it's systems both in the background and foreground yet it feels like it is constantly held together by a thread.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

I'm cool with bounties being space limited, but quests definitely shouldn't be. And yeah, they need a third section here for "Items" like the Chalice and Synthesizer. Five of Swords should really be in there as well. Quest consumables like Ballistics logs, Rasputin Key Fragments and Small Gifts need to be in the same place as Modulus Reports and Ghost Fragments; i get that they're split between Pursuits and Consumables now because the former are character specific while the latter are account-wide, but it's still incongruous. If they're going to keep them per character, then at least give them their own section there, seperate from actual quests and permanent quest items.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'll preface this with saying the art style and the way the game plays (especially on PC) is just a joy to experience but with how they directly come out and say or hint at the engine's shortcomings regarding having to remove stuff/can't implement changes easily, etc they simply must be restricted more than anyone can imagine given the decisions they make sometimes mostly concerning the UI/Director, etc. It's mind-boggling considering the very nature of what this game is (a huge constantly changing game with various destinations and a multitude of events/activities all wrapped up in a GAAS). I mean this type of game is about continually adding content and new play-spaces while making tweaks to all of it's systems both in the background and foreground yet it feels like it is constantly held together by a thread.

It really does. The behavior of the Chalice after you open an Menagerie quest is telling. They 100% hacked that functionality in by just making it a quest that gets completed and reaquired after each chest opening.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I'll share here what I shared with my friends. I just think that Bungie hand cuffed themselves with launch, the seasonal approach (even now with them stating that they want to reset the player so to speak after every season. starting from scratch will get old after awhile) and the unwillingness to give this game an identity. Now that they are embracing the MMO, and the RPG in their mess of an online action game, fitting those two gaming genres (or what ever parts of those genres they want) into Destiny 2 is going to be near impossible, at least at any reasonable speed. At best, they may get a decent framing of an idea of what they can do with D3 when that launches.

I'm going into Y3 looking at it as a beta for D3, when ever it launches. I just hope to god third times a charm when it comes to launches with this franchise.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just cannot see at this state how Bungie improves on PvP without either a drastic overhaul (as in, disables supers entirely and/or limits what exotics can be used) or removes it entirely and just has PvP as certain special events or something...

Just do gambit as a playlist. Sometimes you get prime, sometimes you get regular. Make the armor perks work on both.

People are already pissed that Crucicle is on a playlist because some modes are just a slog with a bad team, and you want to do the same with Gambit.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
i believe the last crucible map added to the game was convergence (remake of pantheon) last september. so we are close to one whole year without new crucible maps. looking at that roadmap picture makes me chuckle a bit though --- new crucible maps and modes will be free to all players...we just won't make any!
It's a decision that had to be made, continue making additional strikes and crucible maps and activating Sony's trap card postponing New Light another year? In retrospect I rather suffer with out the new strikes and maps in order to have everyone on all systems have the same content.
Quite worried about the eververse stance. Yes having a clear distinction between aesthetic and function in regards to rewards is cool and all but I quite like the loop of getting bright engrams with consmetic loot. I just hope the bright dust economy is balanced enough that it's decently grindable.
You'll still get loot, but I mean they are a Indie dev now (as silly as that sounds) so if Bungie wants to sell me a Fallen Vandal Skin, a Hive Acolyte or let me float around as a damn shank for $20-$25 I'm down (i'm only half serious.....about the shank and that $25, I'm not spending over $20 for skins)
I don't see how Aurc is shitposting. Is being negative towards a game shitposting now?

If I criticize Destiny 2, is it shitposting? Is Destiny 2 like above all criticism? It's just untouchable?
Nah of course not, but..........when you go in the same thread over and over to express your hate for a game, it makes you wonder just who they are talking to ya know? There are things that are known, The Mini Boss grind before today was rough......1000k voices drop rate is low, and Aurc is no longer satisfied with the game....just in case you forgot.

Now to my thoughts.....

1. Gamit Vs Gambit Prime, who is getting the rose - Honestly I hate them both, but there is something appealing about just one round of Gambit with Prime. Mentally it feels shorter. The things they can do with Prime, like Luke mentioned....just have the armor drop after a match, get it in the hands of people sooner, less of a grind for it and have the meta for that mode change. So what you will have to switch gear sets before going in, maybe one day they will give us multiple gear load outs but in the mean time. Prime could be fun if everyone is all perked up. Maybe the match will go even quicker.......But cut down the invasions......Leave the portal open the whole match.....but only give people 3 chances to use it, not 12....
  2. Bungie Team Burn Out - It felt like they were about to talk about this, but then got side lined by other thoughts. I don't want them burning out the devs because I don't want the devs jumping ship and I don't want to see a Jason Kotaku article about a negative culture there. If things take time...they take time...that can all be fixed with some changes to Crucible...but I'll hold onto my thoughts on that until later in the week when that is discussed more.
  3. Super Recharging Armor , the Well and everything in between - Listen....I miss doing back to back to back novabombs. It was ridiculous and fun but it took all challenge out of the game. If it's making their encounter philosophy shit than yeah get rid of it. My warlock vest got nerfed to re-fills my well, but it still gives me a decent amount back. I think roaming supers need to be taken out back and either put to heel until they are in line with D1's strength and length or just put down altogether. It's out of control.
  4. Reddit Community - Ehh.....I love the reddit community but sometimes they come across a little entitled. Yes there are a million of you and yes its easier for Bungie to reference them when looking for feedback than X amount of characters on twitter or coming here. But sometimes they have some unreasonable reactions and the more sound voices getting drowned out by some pretty shitty attitudes.
With that said I'm really looking forward to the rest of the changes coming up. Fun times ahead.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I have no prblrmw with stuff being broken in PVE. I'm not playing Destiny for a challenge. This will also make it harder to LFG successfully.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I just cannot see at this state how Bungie improves on PvP without either a drastic overhaul (as in, disables supers entirely and/or limits what exotics can be used) or removes it entirely and just has PvP as certain special events or something...

People are already pissed that Crucicle is on a playlist because some modes are just a slog with a bad team, and you want to do the same with Gambit.

Yup. People will complain both ways but at least this way we keep both game modes.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
what has Bungie said about future games at this point? yes, a new big DLC expansion in winter but has anything leaked about Destiny 3 or is the studio going to focus on this game for 2+ years?

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
So good to see a dev being so open about how their game functions. This really is the new (free) Bungie.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
what has Bungie said about future games at this point? yes, a new big DLC expansion in winter but has anything leaked about Destiny 3 or is the studio going to focus on this game for 2+ years?

They aren't saying if D3 will happen or if D2 will just keep going 'forever' and just keep getting updated. If I were to bet I would suggest that D2 will just keep getting expansions and annual passes and they'll break apart what they've done for D3 so far to form those content drops.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They are only unifying all the consoles now, this should buy them sometime to not only use Destiny 2 as a base but also buy time for Destiny 3. They already said it can't go on forever, the game is huge in size.

Eventually the Darkness will come, eventually we will die....permanent deaths and come Destiny 3 which will probably be out a year after the new consoles release and we will end up in a new solar system altogether, hopefully some WoW type scenario where its Soldiers of the Light (Guardians/Eliskini maybe?) vs The Darkness (Dorito Dudes and the Hive playable races)

Have all pvp be Light vs Dark, big battle grounds, raids tailored just to those races etc etc.

(listen a man can dream ok...)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cut to making it so if I buy Shadowkeep I get everything before it and don't have to rebuy a bunch of crap to move to PC thanks.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Nice article. Better than the PR they did last year with the Summit where no attendee could talk about the background/design choices and only hype Forsaken new amazing mode aka Gambit.

However, worried about 2 things:

Yes Strike bosses are being melted, but if i have to run gazilion strikes for certain persuits, i dont want to spend more time on the same boss over and over again. So i am very worried about nerfing gaurdians and boosting enemies power with shadowkeep.

Second is Eververse, destiny might now be called a action rpg / mmo, but for me its still a looter shooter. Part of this is how i look and i am afraid moving forward all armor/weapons will have a basic (ugly) design and only eververse ornaments can make it look decent.

Time will tell when Shadowkeep drops.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nice article. Better than the PR they did last year with the Summit where no attendee could talk about the background/design choices and only hype Forsaken new amazing mode aka Gambit.

However, worried about 2 things:

Yes Strike bosses are being melted, but if i have to run gazilion strikes for certain persuits, i dont want to spend more time on the same boss over and over again. So i am very worried about nerfing gaurdians and boosting enemies power with shadowkeep.

Second is Eververse, destiny might now be called a action rpg / mmo, but for me its still a looter shooter. Part of this is how i look and i am afraid moving forward all armor/weapons will have a basic (ugly) design and only eververse ornaments can make it look decent.

Time will tell when Shadowkeep drops.
That's why I think all eververse shit should look so ridiculous

Let me buy a flaming skull or wolf head or something silly like that.

But when I beat a raid give me a chance to drop some armor that is on fire.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
They aren't saying if D3 will happen or if D2 will just keep going 'forever' and just keep getting updated. If I were to bet I would suggest that D2 will just keep getting expansions and annual passes and they'll break apart what they've done for D3 so far to form those content drops.

Huh? They teased d3 in their shadowkeep vidoc.

Nov 14, 2017
I think D3 has to happen. D2 is in a weird place in terms of the design because it was originally a much slower paced and more casual focused game, which was pivoted into what it is now. They need to take all the learnings of D1 & 2 and ship a game that is all that from the start.

How they manage that transition is anyone's guess though. Having to earn Whisper a third time would suck.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I think D3 has to happen. D2 is in a weird place in terms of the design because it was originally a much slower paced and more casual focused game, which was pivoted into what it is now. They need to take all the learnings of D1 & 2 and ship a game that is all that from the start.

How they manage that transition is anyone's guess though. Having to earn Whisper a third time would suck.

Destiny 3 built on a new foundation of RPG mechanics and a proper MMO UI/UX, with all of the story content, locations, adventures, strikes, raids, and endgame activities from both D1 and D2 as well as a new campaign to conclude the story of the Darkness, and our gear and characters from D1 and D2 from all platforms merged into a single account. It will be a 400 GB download; do it Bungie, you cowards.

Nov 14, 2017
Destiny 3 built on a new foundation of RPG mechanics and a proper MMO UI/UX, with all of the story content, locations, adventures, strikes, raids, and endgame activities from both D1 and D2 as well as a new campaign to conclude the story of the Darkness, and our gear and characters from D1 and D2 from all platforms merged into a single account. It will be a 400 GB download; do it Bungie, you cowards.
Mood. I don't think the story of the darkness ever really concludes though; all the darkness factions (i.e. hive, vex, and probably the triangle/fade/whatever) are all fighting to be left at the end of the universe. They are basically fighting entropy. So, they can continue the story as long as people want to play it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if everything is ala carte come October you can probably save some money by skipping season of the drifter completely

I still don't understands how seasons work. Shadowkeep comes with a season, is that specifically Season of the Undying or is that just the first season you haven't bought?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There are four seasons, when you buy the season pass you get the remaining 3

But that's what I mean. What season does someone who hasn't bought the Y2 annual pass get when they buy Shadowkeep? What happens if they buy the Y3 annual pass after that, do the extra seasons backfill the Y2 seasons you haven't bought?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
But that's what I mean. What season does someone who hasn't bought the Y2 annual pass get when they buy Shadowkeep? What happens if they buy the Y3 annual pass after that, do the extra seasons backfill the Y2 seasons you haven't bought?
Ok from what I understand from your scenario is this

You buy shadow keep (you skipped y2 season pass)
You will get Shadowkeep and the first season of y3

As far as year 2 goes you won't have to buy the full season pass. You can purchase them individually. So hypothetically you can buy black armory and season of opulence and skip season of the drifter.

But then again, will we even be running that content in season 3 to level up? After all Luke did mention that us going to dreaming city is long in the tooth.

With New Light you get D2 vanilla with the year 1 dlc for free. Forsaken (great campaign and content if you want to experience) is also a seperate purchase. With that said you'll still be able to go to tangle shore/dreaming city if you don't buy forsaken. You just won't be able to do any of the missions.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Ok from what I understand from your scenario is this

You buy shadow keep (you skipped y2 season pass)
You will get Shadowkeep and the first season of y3

As far as year 2 goes you won't have to buy the full season pass. You can purchase them individually. So hypothetically you can buy black armory and season of opulence and skip season of the drifter.

But then again, will we even be running that content in season 3 to level up? After all Luke did mention that us going to dreaming city is long in the tooth.

With New Light you get D2 vanilla with the year 1 dlc for free. Forsaken (great campaign and content if you want to experience) is also a seperate purchase. With that said you'll still be able to go to tangle shore/dreaming city if you don't buy forsaken. You just won't be able to do any of the missions.

The Y2 season pass is part the purchase of Forsaken, I don't think you can buy Forsaken separately.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The Y2 season pass is part the purchase of Forsaken, I don't think you can buy Forsaken separately.
As of right now, y2 season pass and forsaken are seperate. The season pass is a supplemental optional content to the main autumn release.

It gets confusing because during these "seasons" of paid content, Bungie also makes content for the non season pass holders like the Haunted Forest, the Christmas event, the on going solstice of event, the spring event etc etc.

Smith also said that the way they roll out seasonal content next year is changing. So we get armor 2.0 video tomorrow and he has the rest of that state of the union to drop to further clarify things.
It

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely true. Not sure what you're talking about. When the focus becomes to sell MTX the best rewards always end up coming from the paid section because it's incentivization from their side to make additional income.
That's not what he was saying, so you should make those arguments on your own. also, your argument is hyperbolic--the focus in destiny is not to sell MTX, "best rewards" is subjective as hell, and they offer optional ways to acquire those "best rewards" anyways (with the exception of exotic weapon quest MTX's, which Luke specifically used as an example of how MTX fund further content not in the planned pipeline) so I don't even know what either of you are talking about. he's either sorely misinformed or a troll, which is why I replied to him as such especially given he doubled down and continued to spew nonsense.

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

The language on Steam for the Deluxe edition of Shadowkeep, which comes with 4 season passes, is:

"Season Pass redeemed when logging in. If players already own the current Season Pass, they will receive credit toward future Seasons up until Season 11. Any credits beyond Season 11 will be exchanged for an equivalent value of Silver.
PLAYER DATA"

Doesn't really address what order it will fill them in...

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely true. Not sure what you're talking about. When the focus becomes to sell MTX the best rewards always end up coming from the paid section because it's incentivization from their side to make additional income.

Which "best rewards" come from eververse? I sure as hell would like to know. The eververse armor is pretty ugly af aside from a set or two. The only things that were the "Best rewards" were the glows for the solstice event and the mini sparrow (Which were obtainable by just playing the game and earning bright dust)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which "best rewards" come from eververse? I sure as hell would like to know. The eververse armor is pretty ugly af aside from a set or two. The only things that were the "Best rewards" were the glows for the solstice event and the mini sparrow (Which were obtainable by just playing the game and earning bright dust)
Most the sparrows, ghosts, shaders that are unique interesting come from eververse or raid rewards of course which are nice. But most from eververse. And the more they stand to profit. Which probably isn't a ton right now given the model for consistent players. The cooler it will get. I've never seen any game do otherwise. I doubt Destiny will.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Most the sparrows, ghosts, shaders that are unique interesting come from eververse or raid rewards of course which are nice. But most from eververse. And the more they stand to profit. Which probably isn't a ton right now given the model for consistent players. The cooler it will get. I've never seen any game do otherwise. I doubt Destiny will.

Whats the problem when you can earn them by playing the game and earning bright dust? Its not like its silver only.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yes, I would definitely expect most of the glowy, animated armors and shaders to come from Eververse. Personally, I'm okay with that here as the currency for buying most Eververse things will be farm-able.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the problem when you can earn them by playing the game and earning bright dust? Its not like its silver only.
I'm not saying it gauranteed will be. I'm just saying they've been moving closer and closer and now they've announced that there will be even more gear that are exclusively unlocked via Silver.