• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
As somebody who hasn't played a single match of Gambit Prime yet...what exactly is the big problem surrounding it? Is it just all the problems with Gambit magnified?

It's only worth playing if you have a coordinated group. I've been playing it mostly solo, because NOBODY on my FL or in our clan wants to bother with it, since it's just... not very fun and there are no real rewards for dealing with it.

Blueberries run around, kill the easy guys, grab the motes, grab the heavy ammo, run past the blockers, run and hide from invaders or try to kill them 1v1 with a pulse rifle.... You know, just like regular Gambit, they are completely useless as they are just trying to complete their bounties and boost their infamy. Nobody actually cares to play the game mode, they just want the pinnacle weapons and/or the rank drops. Nothing in Prime changes this formula, although, they did make invasions much more frequent, (because adding the DPS "phases" to killing the primeval wasn't enough to deter melting apparently) so the DPS phase often lasts 10+ mins of constant health yo yo's.

I could go on, but I don;t want to beat a dead horse...

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Got headseeker, high-impact reserves and armour-piercing rounds on my Bygones which seems pretty good? Would have liked full auto but not huge.
That's an ok roll but not a great one. Headseeker is like a mulligan for missing a head-shot in the first place. It boosts headshot damage within the same burst after getting a body shot but it doesn't make up for having missed the critical hit in the first place. High-impact reserves makes the bottom half of the magazine do bonus damage but isn't as good as Rampage or Killclip in terms of a damage add. AP rounds is solid but pulses really benefit from stability and so I value them less than something like Steady Rounds.

If it's the one Bygone you have then by all means use it and it will do well for you. But definitely be on the lookout for a Bygone (or other pulse) with Steady Rounds/Outlaw/Rampage or Killclip.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
. Nobody actually cares to play the game mode, they just want the pinnacle weapons and/or the rank drops.

Pretty much this is the reason I might dip back in. I just want a better rolled nightwatch and a Spare Rations. I'd rather leave the mode alone besides that. I prefer regular, simpler gambit (and no huge fan of that).

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
As somebody who hasn't played a single match of Gambit Prime yet...what exactly is the big problem surrounding it? Is it just all the problems with Gambit magnified?
Gambit Prime is fine. It's just Gambit intensified. I don't mind it at all.

Reckoning, on the other hand, is not fun enough to justify the time and effort involved even though the armor rewards have Gambit Prime specific bonuses. Just my opinion but I would rather run Escalation Protocol for the 50th time or another Forge any day before Reckoning. I mean it's not terrible but neither is it particularly compelling either.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That's an ok roll but not a great one. Headseeker is like a mulligan for missing a head-shot in the first place. It boosts headshot damage within the same burst after getting a body shot but it doesn't make up for having missed the critical hit in the first place. High-impact reserves makes the bottom half of the magazine do bonus damage but isn't as good as Rampage or Killclip in terms of a damage add. AP rounds is solid but pulses really benefit from stability and so I value them less than something like Steady Rounds.

If it's the one Bygone you have then by all means use it and it will do well for you. But definitely be on the lookout for a Bygone (or other pulse) with Steady Rounds/Outlaw/Rampage or Killclip.

Thanks, this is all really solid info. I had a machine gun with Rampage and it was an absolute beast tbf. How good can Bygones be? I don't have another one but don't know if I want to keep playing Gambit tbh. I really have no idea what kinda exotics/legendaries I should be working towards beyond Whisper but I guess it doesn't matter for legendaries tbf.

I've also got myself a Trust with Zen Movement and a Bad Omens with the perk that increase damage after reloading after a kill.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, this is all really solid info. I had a machine gun with Rampage and it was an absolute beast tbf. How good can Bygones be? I don't have another one but don't know if I want to keep playing Gambit tbh. I really have no idea what kinda exotics/legendaries I should be working towards beyond Whisper but I guess it doesn't matter for legendaries tbf.

I've also got myself a Trust with Zen Movement and a Bad Omens with the perk that increase damage after reloading after a kill.
A great sight to look up possible rolls on weapons is Light.gg. I just checked it and it doesn't look like Bygones can roll with Steady Rounds but it can get Ricochet Rounds which not only bounce but also give a nice buff to range. Top tier options in that slot would either be Ricochet Rounds or Flared Magwell for the buffs it gives. The best barrel would be Arrowhead Brake because it gives +30 to recoil direction giving the Bygones a 99 Recoil direction stat meaning it would be very consistent and vertical. Other than that option anything that gives +Range or + Stability is a good option.

In the last 2 columns you really can't beat Rampage or Killclip with Outlaw. Rampage is a little better for PVE while Killclip is a little better for PVP but both are top tier options.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn it

Ah, the Bungie Way™: fix shit that affects your in-game economy almost instantly and sit on balancing issues for months
ab909201de2ab68a123879mso8.png
This lmao. People hate spectral blades SO much haha, and the funny part is that it was already nerfed.

Last edited:

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
A great sight to look up possible rolls on weapons is Light.gg. I just checked it and it doesn't look like Bygones can roll with Steady Rounds but it can get Ricochet Rounds which not only bounce but also give a nice buff to range. Top tier options in that slot would either be Ricochet Rounds or Flared Magwell for the buffs it gives. The best barrel would be Arrowhead Brake because it gives +30 to recoil direction giving the Bygones a 99 Recoil direction stat meaning it would be very consistent and vertical. Other than that option anything that gives +Range or + Stability is a good option.

In the last 2 columns you really can't beat Rampage or Killclip with Outlaw. Rampage is a little better for PVE while Killclip is a little better for PVP but both are top tier options.

I'm pretty sure it has ricochet round - like almost certain - but I'll have to check. Rampage would have been great; it's a shame you can't re-roll weapons by paying materials..

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
And people got mad at me because I said there jack shit to do this season...

I'll get my Arbalest, no doubt. Catalysts for shitty guns, whenever I guess.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
So, uh. What's the point of nightfalls now?
1) Exclusive weapons
2) Exclusive emblems (and variations thereof tied to High Score)
3) Higher chance of Catalysts and Exotics
4) Exclusive challenges related to each Nightfall for the Triumph/Collector score
5) Actually requires a modicum of thought and effort to complete, especially if going for high score, which is completely unlock normal strikes

demi

Oct 27, 2017
if youre on xbox and want to run some nightfalls, or just a nightfall, message me (demi) and i will invite you. i'm just soloing them right now for catalysts

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Nice job boss - did you Solo or group up?

Sorry just saw this.

I had been running solo till about 1000 glory and then I grouped up with some old friends who I knew from the D1 Trials days. One of them already had Luna's and was going for Not Forgotten.

Just way easier then relying on solos in comp.

Haven't logged on today, any word from Bungie on pinnacle weapons being attainable again?

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Just got a Flared Magwell, Outlaw, Demolitionist Outlast pulse from Gambit Prime. Seems interesting but the stats are overall pretty bad as they always seem to be on these Rapid fire frame pulse rifles.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Exclusive weapons
2) Exclusive emblems (and variations thereof tied to High Score)
3) Higher chance of Catalysts and Exotics
4) Exclusive challenges related to each Nightfall for the Triumph/Collector score
5) Actually requires a modicum of thought and effort to complete, especially if going for high score, which is completely unlock normal strikes
So it's confirmed there is a higher drop chance for catalysts? Because that's a legit thing I would care about.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reckoning needs to let you checkpoint you at the end of the bridge if you cleared it in the last attempt. That'd clear up a lot of the annoyances with it.

Having to spend a bunch of time and the boss survives with a pixel of health and having to do it all over again has ended so many game nights.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
And people got mad at me because I said there jack shit to do this season...

I'll get my Arbalest, no doubt. Catalysts for shitty guns, whenever I guess.

To be fair, there is plenty of shit to do, it's just all repetitive grindy shit or gambit.... we all love gambit, right.....right?

I love this damn stupid ass game too much that I might play a ton more PvP this weekend.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Got curated outlast from tier ii reckoning. Zen Moment/kill clip. Forgot I kinda wanted that.
That is a nice roll. Not going to lie though, this Demolitionist one is pretty awesome for grenade kills. With zero grenade mods it takes about 6 kills with Outlast to complete refill grenade energy. In basically ANY pve encounter that means you have a grenade almost constantly since even killing a Thrall counts.
Edit- Looks like recoil direction is 60 on these which means they are a perfect candidate for a Counterbalance Mod.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm liking mine surprisingly so far. Hard to say if I will stick with it.

At times it seems really lethal other times frustrating like you are just tickling them.

Great change of pace though. Very stable out of the box, such that the .8 ttk with all crits seems attainable in theory. And the kill clip does work.

Didn't realize the recoil dir, guess I will try a CB, I dunno though, I always worry Cb spreads out the pattern. Maybe Target adjuster...maybe shoot it at a wall to see how the spread is looking

I finally buffed up to where I have like spare 4 TA mods, 4CB, 4 backup mag, and 4 super. And probably a few more scattered around weapons I wouldn't mind dismantling.

Edit: Just won a super fun one with this gun, came back from down 30+ and won in overtime and I carried, 2.33 efficiency. 2.0 k/d

This thing is really tough to beat 1v1 even with hand cannons if you have 8 mobility and strafe, because you are firing so fast and flinching the hell out of them, meanwhile they cant hit you. Great dueling gun.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking mine surprisingly so far. Hard to say if I will stick with it.

At times it seems really lethal other times frustrating like you are just tickling them.

Great change of pace though. Very stable out of the box, such that the .8 ttk with all crits seems attainable in theory. And the kill clip does work.

Didn't realize the recoil dir, guess I will try a CB, I dunno though, I always worry Cb spreads out the pattern. Maybe Target adjuster...maybe shoot it at a wall to see how the spread is looking

I finally buffed up to where I have like spare 4 TA mods, 4CB, 4 backup mag, and 4 super. And probably a few more scattered around weapons I wouldn't mind dismantling.

CB makes it a laser.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I watched Aztecross' reviews so you don't have to -

Suros Regime Catalyst: It's pretty much fucking nothing

Hard Light Catalyst: It's fucking nothing

This was the exact scenario that keyed off my salt post earlier.

for what it's worth true vanguard loved the suros catalyst.

yeah the hard light catalyst seemed really lazy though, as aztecross vid said it's a shame too because a meta AR would be much appreciated about now.

i'm sure i'll get the suros because it's a crucible drop and i play crucible constantly. not yet tho.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Isn't Suros catalyst giving you guarantee health back on kill and 100 recoil direction which is actually good?

i think it's buff to recoil direction i forget the amount, and just a better chance at health regen. one vid i saw estimated 1 in 3 kills gets your health back post catalyst, the other guy estimated 1 in 2.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how anyone is managing to progress Mountaintop in Mayhem. This is so frustrating. Everyone has the same idea, so every match is filled with other Nightstalkers who are also camping heavy.

And the players who aren't Nightstalkers are all Blade Barrages and Nova Bombs, who will of course use them against me when I finally manage to secure heavy.

Def feeling like this gun ain't worth the headache. What a shit quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.