• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
shark-punch-shark-punch-discovery-discovery-channel-gif-5647617.gif

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how anyone is managing to progress Mountaintop in Mayhem. This is so frustrating. Everyone has the same idea, so every match is filled with other Nightstalkers who are also camping heavy.

And the players who aren't Nightstalkers are all Blade Barrages and Nova Bombs, who will of course use them against me when I finally manage to secure heavy.

Def feeling like this gun ain't worth the headache. What a shit quest.

The quest is definitely brutal, but I've managed to make some good progress the last two days, though not without some frustration.

If you keep at it, try to accept that you're gonna get killed immediately ~90% of the time as you go for power ammo. You just need to weather the storm and focus on making the most of the 10% of chances where you're able to pull power and set up.

My biggest thing is just try to remember that it's a marathon and not a sprint. Progress is going to be slow and sometimes you won't be able to get anything done, so don't hesitate to take a short break and reset. My only other advice is to go all in on Grenade Launchers if you aren't already. Two special ammo GLs and Colony works quite well, especially if you stack GL Scavenger perks on your armour (they're available on arms and class items - use both, if you can). Tether + Special GLs for a Double Kill (or more) is also very much viable, and if you (like me) don't really use Grenade Launchers you'll get more and more comfortable with them as you work on it.

Dec 2, 2017
5 more T3 Reckoning runs with Era guys, 5 more wipes. And it felt like we were doing everything as right as we could. We all agreed it felt like something had been tweaked in the mode that was making it harder. Oryx feels tankier. Nova Bomb & Chaos Reach might've been nerfed.

Isn't Suros catalyst giving you guarantee health back on kill and 100 recoil direction which is actually good?

Not that high, but better. It's important to remember that even though cross is the best reviewer (imo) he's a PvP guy who just kinda sorta pays token attention to PvE by shooting that Spider bounty ogre. The health regen + the fire rate increase it already had sounds like it could be good for PvE.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Probably took me like 500 QP games to finish MT quest. The hard way. Still have to get to fabled in comp but I'm not touching comp unless something else comes along that I really want.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Long comp session with some LFG. Got from ~1200 to 1834, then one guy dropped and we lost a couple as a 3 stack to finish ~1730. Will probably try again tomorrow with more time.

Since we were on a 3 streak at 1834, I guess I was 2 wins from fabled (1980 then wait on reset). Almost one win as one win would have been ~1960. So close yet so far....

I also decided not to use recluse or Lunas Howl as some sort of purity test, since I would not have had those if I got to fabled legit. Also because everybody noticing recluse on my character was annoying.

Of course that doesn't affect me much since I likely wouldn't have used them anyway. I ran Blast Furnace, Wardcliff Coil, and Heroes Burden. Stompees and middle tree arcstrider.

So glad I switched off blade barrage, i feel pretty sorry for the very few still using it watching them whiff half the time. As far as shutting down spectral blades, I'd dare say arcstrider is better at shutting down spectral for me anyway (besides being much better slayer of coure). At least I win like 60% of jousting battles with a spectral, which is likely higher than my BB hit rate on them.

Last edited:

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It really has made crucible annoying to play. I vote for custom servers that removes pinnacle PvP weapons from QP as well as shotguns.
It won't happen with D2 but I hope Bungie has learned from this and implements something like that in D3, I'm not holding my breath though.

By lately you mean since November, right? I'm not sweating Dust Rock since the shotgun nerf, but Wardcliffe tracking is so dumb. It shouldn't be snaking around multiple corners, not if it kills with one or two of those tiny rockets and shoots a billion of them. Meanwhile Two Tailed Fox & legendary rocket launchers with tracking module completely whiff if the opponent is moving at a light jog.
Hm not really since november for me, more like since february or something like that, although I do have to admit that I've been playing this game on and off since the DLC dropped. The shotgun nerf doesn't seem to be that noticeable for me as everyone and their mom are still rolling with the Dust Rock Blues. The Wardcliff coil is indeed annoying as hell and as soon as I see someone having it selected I know what to expect so that's an upside to this whole thing I guess :P
Seemed easier to me yday i probably won 80% vs normal rarely win. I expect its a lotta rng
Games have been constantly a sweatfest for me for a couple of days now, stacked fireteams, Not Forgotten's etc. I'm sure it's RNG of course but damn if this isn't taking all the fun outta this game's pvp.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they enabled a lorebook via turning in Gambit Prime bounties. Welp, back I go

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I watched Aztecross' reviews so you don't have to -

Suros Regime Catalyst: It's pretty much fucking nothing

Hard Light Catalyst: It's fucking nothing

This was the exact scenario that keyed off my salt post earlier.

I watched 'Cross's Suros catalyst review and he didn't exactly say it was nothing he just said it was underwhelming versus his expectations. He had some good suggestions for what it could have been (or maybe should have been) but he did say it improved the recoil direction and seemed to make the health regen happen about 50% of the time. That's decent. Not good, certainly not great but decent.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Had the weirdest quickplay match last night testing out my new Outlast. It was on Convergence (which is my least favorite map) so I should have known better but I got 10 kills died 12 times and only one of those times was to a primary weapon. My first three deaths were:
1) Orewing's Maul
2) Mountaintop
3) Play of the Game
and after that it was a combination of snipes and chained supers by the other team. In the midst of all of this I am trying to get a feel for this new pulse but no, we can't have that. No one wanted to duel me. Only insta-kill weapons and abilities will be used here today people!

Somehow we still won preserving my max bonus win streak (had been playing Rumble the past few days) but it sure did not feel good.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
5 more T3 Reckoning runs with Era guys, 5 more wipes. And it felt like we were doing everything as right as we could. We all agreed it felt like something had been tweaked in the mode that was making it harder. Oryx feels tankier. Nova Bomb & Chaos Reach might've been nerfed.

Chaos Reach -was- unintentionally nerfed, and Geomags are broken too. Also stop running Chaos Reach when Nova is still better

I've completed it just fine with randoms. All you need is a well and you win the game

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been out of Destiny since just before the "Choose your side" in the Drifters quest. Did I miss a lot of stuff permanently or can I jump in and get the stuff?

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I need to LFG from now on in comp, I'm just not gonna get it done solo. Played two matches last night; won one and lost one. So I'm a few points below where I was yesterday, well even more since I lost the one game I played Tuesday night. I can't even get to 1000 for fucks sake.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
at the rate I was going, I was gonna tank my KD by .5 just in the attempt for mountaintop.

Fuk it, quest is dumb

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I have been out of Destiny since just before the "Choose your side" in the Drifters quest. Did I miss a lot of stuff permanently or can I jump in and get the stuff?

Meh, I think I;m still at the heroic adventure on Titan part. No real incentive to rush through it.

I'm not even sure how to unlock T2 of Reckoning for that matter... Again, what's the point?

It won't happen with D2 but I hope Bungie has learned from this and implements something like that in D3, I'm not holding my breath though.

Hm not really since november for me, more like since february or something like that, although I do have to admit that I've been playing this game on and off since the DLC dropped. The shotgun nerf doesn't seem to be that noticeable for me as everyone and their mom are still rolling with the Dust Rock Blues. The Wardcliff coil is indeed annoying as hell and as soon as I see someone having it selected I know what to expect so that's an upside to this whole thing I guess :P

Games have been constantly a sweatfest for me for a couple of days now, stacked fireteams, Not Forgotten's etc. I'm sure it's RNG of course but damn if this isn't taking all the fun outta this game's pvp.

No, it's been that way in QP for awhile now, once players get their pinnacles unlocked, they run to QP to show off since it is CBMM and they can get placed against scrubs like me easily. Don;t bother talking about D2 needing SBMM here because you'll just be told to git gud and accuse for just wanting to get easy wins....

The only way I've managed to counter recluse and Not Forgotten is to just whore Jotunn the entire match from any range and just keep running around and picking up the greens that drop. IT works better for me that to try and camp the heavy and fight with 5 other guardians to use a RL.

at the rate I was going, I was gonna tank my KD by .5 just in the attempt for mountaintop.

Fuk it, quest is dumb

Take it from a scrub, K/D doesn't mean $hit outside of LFG boards and ePein arguments. Scrub it up and get what you want.

Last edited:

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
... and maintaining a number on a website is more interesting than a unique weapon?

Except the process is...beyond awful. Its a horrible experience, at least for me in trying to obtain. Running around in mayhem, searching for double kills. Its not a natural way to play.

I understand some people might enjoy it though.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I'm not sure why they haven't changed the quest. You might want to try and jump on a farm train when Lockdown, Breakthrough, etc are up. People take advantage of that because matches take forever - and can be stretched for long periods of time. Also popular methods of getting the 50 kill streak medal.

Or jump on Comp and yoink that heavy

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Except the process is...beyond awful. Its a horrible experience, at least for me in trying to obtain. Running around in mayhem, searching for double kills. Its not a natural way to play.

I understand some people might enjoy it though.

I don't think anyone will argue that it is a terrible quest forcing you to use a weapon that has limited ammo and limited use to get it

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are slug shotguns trash? I was all excited about this Good Bone Structure roll but it seems like it's only shooting air. I was doing way better with the Wishbringer that has like 60% of the range.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Chaperone is considered one of the best shotguns in the game. Slugs only reward precision hits, they aren't really meant for body shots like no-skill trash tier other shotguns.

GIVE EM THE CLAP WITH THE CHAP

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I decided to try out Nova Warp again after the re-ajustement. It's nothing close as it used to be on Day 1 but at least the time adjustment makes it feasible to at least get two super kills.

The only viable reason to run midtree Voidwalker is if you have Contraverse Hold and practiced using Pocket Super Nova hold.

Yesterday in Kadey's train, I got 40% to 50% of my kills abusing Contraverse Hold with Pocket Super Nova

The key is knowing the range limit of Pocket Super Nova's effectiveness and also using it as a shield at other times
----

my other test was either running shotty or fusion depending on the map using Contraverse Hold.

Citadel, I was forced to fall back to Jottun due to the mid-map range skirmish that forced me to resort to it.

Firebase Echho, I ran Parcel of Stardust for its lightweight mobility boost and it served me really well to blink, shotty, Contraverse Hold and all

Last edited:

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Bit of an update: unlocked the Black Armor but not gonna buy the annual pass for now as I'm still a ways of light level 600. Someone on Reddit said the content isn't worth playing until you're around that level.

Dec 2, 2017
Chaos Reach -was- unintentionally nerfed, and Geomags are broken too. Also stop running Chaos Reach when Nova is still better
But then I can't use this sweet Getaway Artist.

I've completed it just fine with randoms. All you need is a well and you win the game

Man, I am glad you were able to get through it, but right now Well is absolutely not enough. Are you talking about this week?

Thank goodness.

Dec 2, 2017
Bit of an update: unlocked the Black Armor but not gonna buy the annual pass for now as I'm still a ways of light level 600. Someone on Reddit said the content isn't worth playing until you're around that level.
Not only is it not worth playing before 600, it's pretty much impossible. Really, my recommendation is 620 for the first forge. The quests to unlock them are AWFUL, but the weapons themselves are fantastic and make up for it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean help me understand. The point of a shotgun is to hip fire 1HK someone when you get rushed. If this Good Bone Structure can't do that, why would I want to use it over something that can?

Range, they map like mini-snipers. There's plenty of discussions on slug shotguns over on crucibleplaybook. You need to practice, get comfortable and know your range/limits. They are great at baiting. Just wait for that no-skill ape to charge you and give em the ol Chris Kyle.

With Chaperone, you actually get even MORE range on a headshot (Roadborn perk), it's stupid

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't played destiny since division released I forgot I was waiting for a nightfall to finish dreaming city i hope i didnt' miss it u_u

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Chaperone is considered one of the best shotguns in the game. Slugs only reward precision hits, they aren't really meant for body shots like no-skill trash tier other shotguns.

GIVE EM THE CLAP WITH THE CHAP

if only we could get exotic mods so I could throw an icarus mod on it

but based on how terrible the Ada mods are, I'd imagine exotic mods will cost 500 legendary shards for a random rolled mod

edit: by terrible I mean terribly expensive

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You can run "Precision Targeting" on a helmet as well, it affects Slug Shotgun targeting, though I'm not sure how much or if at all. And if you run Enhanced Shotgun Dex you get free quickdraw. Oh my

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Are slug shotguns trash? I was all excited about this Good Bone Structure roll but it seems like it's only shooting air. I was doing way better with the Wishbringer that has like 60% of the range.

Like Demi said it's a mini-sniper for close quarters combat. Are you good at sniping? If so you can now reliably pick off other shotgun users before they ever get into range. Like sniper rifles they are a skill weapon but definitely reward that skill.

I ran Parcel of Stardust for its lightweight mobility boost

I freakin love my Parcel of Stardust. It gets so much work that I went ahead and spent the cores to MW it. Rifled Barrel, Assault Mag, Threat Detector and Rampage with a Sprint Grip mod from Ada-1. It is the ultimate run-n-gun boomstick.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can run "Precision Targeting" on a helmet as well, it affects Slug Shotgun targeting, though I'm not sure how much or if at all. And if you run Enhanced Shotgun Dex you get free quickdraw. Oh my
heh. My Good Bone Structure roll is Hammer-Forged Rifling, Accurized Rounds, Opening Shot, Quickdraw, Range MW.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Demi said it's a mini-sniper for close quarters combat. Are you good at sniping? If so you can now reliably pick off other shotgun users before they ever get into range. Like sniper rifles they are a skill weapon but definitely reward that skill.
Terrible at sniping, and honestly I have no desire to improve because I find the weapon type so scummy. I'd love a shooter that didn't even have them. I don't particularly love shotguns either, but you kinda need them right now so I'm trying to find one I'm okay with.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
CoolGuy just did his breakdown on the buff to bottom tree Stryker Titan (Code of the Juggernaut). It was already really good but the buffs honestly put it over the top for me. I don't think it's going to get to stay this strong but I will enjoy it while it last. You can easily run around 1 punching people in the Crucible or make any aggressive frame sniper into a 1 body shot kill.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
That's a nasty roll but since you don't like snipers I would stick with a Retold Tale (Dreaming City shotty) or even Ikelos if you have it.

IS moving target and snapshot sights with a tac mag and small bore a good roll for a retold in PvP. I've been looking for something other than Ringing Nail to use with TLW.

energy ARs, Scouts and Pulses have taken the L for the past 6 mos.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not only is it not worth playing before 600, it's pretty much impossible. Really, my recommendation is 620 for the first forge. The quests to unlock them are AWFUL, but the weapons themselves are fantastic and make up for it.

That's fair enough. It seems like I should just carry on with the Forsaken campaign for now then. I've been grinding Gambit to get Bygones, Trust and Bad Omens which I have and I have three exotics now though I am only wearing Young Ahamkara's Spine.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
IS moving target and snapshot sights with a tac mag and small bore a good roll for a retold in PvP. I've been looking for something other than Ringing Nail to use with TLW.

energy ARs, Scouts and Pulses have taken the L for the past 6 mos.

Yep, that's plenty good for a PVP roll. Accurized Rounds would boost the range slightly over tac mag but tag mag has other benefits so it's not a net loss. Moving Target and Snapshot are actually quite good for closing in while aiming down sights and synergize well. Retold tale has decent base range and stats anyway so there's very few bad ones for PVP so it's all about finding perks that synergize (which you have) and that you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.