• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, this one in particular refers to Activision, not Blizzard, so the comparison would be to games like Call of Duty, not Overwatch.

Activision Blizzard said:
  • Activision and Bungie's Destiny 2 was the second-highest-grossing console game in North America for the year1, had the largest PC launch in Activision history based on units, and had a higher attach rate on its first expansion than Destiny 1.
Source: http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1056935

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone on my friend list was playing Destiny 2 PC at launch, I think it sold very well. However the player retention I feel must have been horrendous on pc, especially with so many FPS games in the market to fall back through.

Just last week's trials population

7,488 on PC.

46,165 on PS4.

24,161 on XBone.

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone on my friend list was playing Destiny 2 PC at launch, I think it sold very well. However the player retention I feel must have been horrendous on pc, especially with so many FPS games in the market to fall back through.

Just last week's trials population

7,488 on PC.

46,165 on PS4.

24,161 on XBone.

To be fair, Destiny PvP has never been a big draw, and frankly has only been a detriment to the game because Bungie can't balance.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got it for free from buying a 1080ti last year. Haven't touched it, never will.

Nov 5, 2017
To be fair, Destiny PvP has never been a big draw, and frankly has only been a detriment to the game because Bungie can't balance.
Iirc, D2 already has less than half of the lowest number D1 ever had before D2 released.
a) PvP was big in D1.
b) the player retention in D2 is a disaster.
Some guys on the subreddit parse those numbers, if you want to dig deeper.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
According to Superdata, Destiny 2 was the 4th highest earning premium PC game in 2017, right? Above GTA V and Battlefield 1.

Oct 26, 2017
Iirc, D2 already has less than half of the lowest number D1 ever had before D2 released.
a) PvP was big in D1.
b) the player retention in D2 is a disaster.
Some guys on the subreddit parse those numbers, if you want to dig deeper.

Destiny PvP was just as bad as it is in D2, D2 just happens to take it to the next level by making it boring.

And yes, the player retention is quite bad.

Yeah PC has too many actual good pvp games for players to waste their time on the aim assist mess that is D2 pvp on PC.

This. Even back in the Destiny 1 days it baffled me anyone would willingly play the garbage that was that mode when there were better competitive shooters out there. Destiny 2 is just a waste of resources.

Imagine the weapons and abilities we could have if they didn't have to care about PvP. I hate Gearbox and never got into Borderlands - but at least they got that right.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Trials of Osiris was pretty much the biggest thing keeping D1 going for awhile. It was a massive draw.
General PvP has always been mediocre at best imo though, but Trials was great in D1, D2 even managed to ruin that though.