• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
No. They've said that there's no cross-buy with DLC content. Only things that will be cross-buy are MTX purchases and currency.
If it's going to take buying Shadowkeep plus buying the Forsaken + annual pass for $35 + $40, and then needing to buy the Shadowkeep annual pass for another $35 in order to go cross-platform then that is going to be really gross. That kinda kills my buzz.

The thing these (games-as-a-service) companies really need to start figuring out is how to stop effectively punishing their early adopters and supporters by requiring them to pay so much more upfront at release.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
If the game is F2P then why does it mentions this on the Steam page; "Pre-order Destiny 2: Shadowkeep and receive Destiny 2, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind for free on September 17th. " aren't they suppose to f2p for all of the players?

I have the Forsaken + Annual Pass on the PC but I completely skipped the season 6 my fireteam is planning to jump back into the game with S7.
Yeah thats all free even if you dont preorder. I guess want to clarify that you only get all that free and not forsaken stuff.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I just don't understand the point of cross-saves if the content I buy on one doesn't carry over to the other. More like Cross-saves*.

If it's going to take buying Shadowkeep plus buying the Forsaken + annual pass for $35 + $40, and then needing to buy the Shadowkeep annual pass for another $35 in order to go cross-platform then that is going to be really gross. That kinda kills my buzz.

The thing these (games-as-a-service) companies really need to start figuring out is how to stop effectively punishing their early adopters and supporters by requiring them to pay so much more upfront at release.

So the real answer is weird. Like, really weird. Because they are changing the structure of how things work. They are decoupling the seasons from the expansions. So some things that used to be tied to the expansions (namely weapons and armor) seem to now be tied to the seasons instead. The SEASONS are cross-buy, which includes all the new weapons and armor (and some modes). The EXPANSION is not cross-buy, and that is the story content, dungeon, and raid.

Buying the Shadowkeep expansion gives you a pass for Season 8. But you can buy Season 8 (and presumably 9, 10, and so on) WITHOUT buying Shadowkeep.

destiny2-crossplat.png

I'm very confident I finally figured it out. It makes WAY more sense this way.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So I have the free vanilla version on PC from Battle.net. I haven't played it at all yet.

Could I start playing now and then transfer everything to the Steam client in September?

Also, is it worth playing pure vanilla at all right now while I wait? I don't plan on making any purchases on the game until I can use my Steam Wallet balance.

Baru

Oct 27, 2017

It's the same as literally any other game on the market that you buy. If you want to play the game on Xbox and PS4 then you have to buy two copies. Only in this case your progress is shared between the two.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same as literally any other game on the market that you buy. If you want to play the game on Xbox and PS4 then you have to buy two copies. Only in this case your progress is shared between the two.

That's not quite it. lol. I thought it was that too, but I did some digging on it.

Oct 25, 2017
So the real answer is weird. Like, really weird. Because they are changing the structure of how things work. They are decoupling the seasons from the expansions. So some things that used to be tied to the expansions (namely weapons and armor) seem to now be tied to the seasons instead. The SEASONS are cross-buy, which includes all the new weapons and armor (and some modes). The EXPANSION is not cross-buy, and that is the story content, dungeon, and raid.

Buying the Shadowkeep expansion gives you a pass for Season 8. But you can buy Season 8 (and presumably 9, 10, and so on) WITHOUT buying Shadowkeep.

destiny2-crossplat.png

I'm very confident I finally figured it out. It makes WAY more sense this way.
Oooooh I think I get it now. If my "main" platform is Steam, I'll buy my expansions there. If I'm playing on Stadia, for example, I'll still have all my guns and armor but won't have access to those specific story missions from the expansions.

...right? Because that's not so bad.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
So I have the free vanilla version on PC from Battle.net. I haven't played it at all yet.

Could I start playing now and then transfer everything to the Steam client in September?

Also, is it worth playing pure vanilla at all right now while I wait? I don't plan on making any purchases on the game until I can use my Steam Wallet balance.

If you're interested in the highly mediocre Red War campaign that the Steam/F2P update will let you skip, yes go ahead.

But half-joking aside, there is some merit if you're interested. You can start doing some of the quests for exotic guns, etc.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you'll be able to transfer everything. Whether or not you want to play now is down to preference. The original campaign is still a lot of fun IMO.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oooooh I think I get it now. If my "main" platform is Steam, I'll buy my expansions there. If I'm playing on Stadia, for example, I'll still have all my guns and armor but won't have access to those specific story missions from the expansions.

...right? Because that's not so bad.

Yes. That seems to be it. The seasons carry over between platforms and have all the weapons and armor. And the expansion is just the tailored missions like story and raid stuff.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Man, so excited to see people jumping in. Destiny is a fantastic game and does things that no one else does. A lot of you are in for a treat.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
That's cool. I have an earlier version of the game on PC, would like to get back into at some point . Cross save is awesome, now I can play on xbox too

baltikr1s

Banned
May 24, 2019
If they will finally bring dedicated servers and 60 fps to PvP modes, then maybe it will be "worth" something. As they are still behind industry in that matter.
As this is some decent news, I wonder if Chinese have anything to do with it?

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
OMG cross saving? I can finally get my Xbox friends onboard and not lose my characters. What does this mean for Destiny 3 though?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-saving is being added to the game for all platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Google Stadia, PC). Original reporting/rumors/leaks suggested that PS4 would be excluded from this, but that is not the case.
Now there's no excuse why Warframe can't do this ffs! I don't want to grind again for all my stuff :'(

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Now there's no excuse why Warframe can't do this ffs! I don't want to grind again for all my stuff :'(

I've played a total of like 2 hours of Warframe, always thought it was cool (just can't handle more than two online games at once in my life) - for your sake I sincerely hope they add this. There's no reason at this point that all these great games don't support cross-save and sometimes cross-play.

<tourette's>
FUCK HEY SEGA WHERE'S MY PSO2 FUCK
</tourette's>

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
So if I'm reading this right, if I want to move from Battle.net to Steam, I will have to repurchase expansions? Or do they mean just if I were to move a save from a console to PC (or vice versa)?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm reading this right, if I want to move from Battle.net to Steam, I will have to repurchase expansions? Or do they mean just if I were to move a save from a console to PC (or vice versa)?

Battle.net to Steam will be a migration of licenses.

Moving between the console platforms or Stadia would require you have the additional content on those platforms to be able to play that content.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

No, all of your purchases will migrate from Battle.net to Steam

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me for years: Destiny/anthem whatever is a f2p game, why are you paying for it?
Fans: It isn't f2p!
Me: yes it is, they just haven't changed the price yet

And here we are. I don't actually mind this move as it is a lot more honest about what the game involves. I guess thanks to the gamers who embrace gaming as a service, by providing the service of funding games for other people.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

And here we are. I don't actually mind this move as it is a lot more honest about what the game involves. I guess thanks to the gamers who embrace gaming as a service, by providing the service of funding games for other people.

i don't particularly care for D2 but no ragrets paying upfront. it's on its way out and the base game may as well be free now anyway so...

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Captain Hindsight

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

How were you playing the game for all these years if you weren't paying for it? How would anyone?

More cross-save details from the Lead Producer
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So it seems that there is a very big caveat to the whole cross-save thing... You choose one of your current sets of characters (so either Xbox, PS4, or PC), and that set becomes your only set of characters on all platforms if you use cross-save. Based on what was shown in the stream, your silver balances are merged at least, and your seasonal purchases carry over as well.

Jared Berbach said:
More detailed info coming but... TLDR: No merge. You choose one account from your platform of choice.

For example: I choose to make my current Xbox One account my Cross Save account on BNET. Now when I log into Steam, PS4, and Stadia I see those characters.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So it seems that there is a very big caveat to the whole cross-save thing... You choose one of your current sets of characters (so either Xbox, PS4, or PC), and that set becomes your only set of characters on all platforms if you use cross-save. Based on what was shown in the stream, your silver balances are merged at least, and your seasonal purchases carry over as well.

Sucks for people who have characters multiple places but good for me.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Players who moved on to PC a long time ago so their console characters is extremely outdated in terms of content and gear so its easy to sacrificed that. Vice versa for console players, the negative of crosssave only affect those who just recently shifted to PC/console like a season ago.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I'm ok with that, I have attachment to my PS4 Guardians because I've been playing the series since the alpha on PS4. Alot of down the block D1 raid memories on those characters on the Sony side. But right around rise of ironbI made the switch to Xbox and those are my guardians now. So I'm ok with selecting that as my main account. I fell too far behind on PS4 and PC to catch up. This move today is a life saver.

I say the best move is going with the account that has the most exotics/legendary shards and master work cores.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I don't like this. I wanted to bring my Warlock from PS4 onto my PC, without losing my PC stuff.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That sucks. I moved to PC a while back, but I have a character with way more progress stuck on my PS4.

Seems like a not great solution to the problem.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't like this. I wanted to bring my Warlock from PS4 onto my PC, without losing my PC stuff.
I'm torn because my Xbox Hunter was carried over from the first game, and has several emblems and the mission dialogue that assumes you have played the first game; however, for the vast majority of the game's life, I've only played on PC, so the majority of my progress is on there.

I guess I'll choose my PC Hunter. Just really hope they finally give PC players a way to get those D1 unlocks as part of this.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm thinking this being confirmed so last minute means Sony was a holdout until negotiations or bad press or both made them agree to the deal. So people were right to say Bad Sony as they seem to be using their console dominance to be dicks about cross save and cross play. Good on them for changing their minds, but they keep repeating this pattern of being the hold outs out of arrogance so they deserve to get pooped on every time they do it.

The fact is that we never had a confirmation on SONY blocking Cross-Saves but people need to use the "arrogance" argument and jump on the forum to fill 18 pages of self-made conclusion and accusations.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn because my Xbox Hunter was carried over from the first game, and has several emblems and the mission dialogue that assumes you have played the first game; however, for the vast majority of the game's life, I've only played on PC, so the majority of my progress is on there.

I guess I'll choose my PC Hunter. Just really hope they finally give PC players a way to get those D1 unlocks as part of this.
Yeah I hope Bungie finds a better solution

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

What you are trying to brag about saying for years makes absolutely no sense and the post is very silly.