• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion: We need mods that are exclusive to armor sets. It's a way of creating uniqueness and a sense of acquiring something of value.

The only reason people hate it is because Bungie has left us with an unwieldy awkward inventory system with no easy way to save gear sets and equip them/grab them instantly from the vault via in game UI.

Give us gear sets, overhaul the UI/inventory, and increase vault space again.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, why do make this more complicated. I still have the same problem of needing to keep Shadowkeep armour and not being to use that armour for nothing else next season. Like with the affinity swapping, they do the right thing but then ruin it with the total upgrade cost being tacked on.
Presumably, to allow people to transition into the September content update/new season easily with armour from the previous season, but no further than that in case they change any armour systems again at that point

Nov 14, 2017
You actually can't apply shader to the Supremacy/

Bungo pls
There are a few ones that work with it even without being able to shade most of the gun. Gold leaf and one other golden menagerie one (can't remember which sorry) make it all the same colour, with differing levels of wear.

Gunmetal marigold from this season make the purple parts a dark blue with wear at the edges that matches the gold/bone on the rest of it.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Doing the 7 Shotgun bounties with the 4 donations does get you a ton of xp.

I went from 130~ to 200 really fast.

For anyone that still needs to complete the Season Pass.

dmgryIm.png

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a TH with TT and Vorpal, Extended mag and reload MW. Please tell me its over.

Oct 27, 2017
rampage doesn't exist on the Infinite Paths 8.
That's a shame. Any of the current obelisks time bounty (or whatever) weapons have a possible roll like this or are they all pretty much an either or situation with those traits being in the same slot? I have a Trust with this setup and I know the AR from the Forges can roll this as well. I love Lightweight weapons so I'm looking for that combination on that particular frame.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's a shame. Any of the current obelisks time bounty (or whatever) weapons have a possible roll like this or are they all pretty much an either or situation with those traits being in the same slot? I have a Trust with this setup and I know the AR from the Forges can roll this as well. I love Lightweight weapons so I'm looking for that combination on that particular frame.
No, no rolls with rampage + dragonfly.

Oct 25, 2017
On the earlier topic of titles, what do you all think about this ranking?

If you want to skip the video,

Datto's Community (Flawless raid clears heavily weighted, does not factor RNG or time):

S++: Unbroken
S+: Rivensbane, Shadow
S: Enlightened
A: Reckoner, Harbinger, Blacksmith
B: MMXIX
C: Seasonal Titles, Cursebreaker
D: Chronicler, Dredgen
Smile-tier: Wayfarer

Datto (Based on his personal experience. Heavily weights his distaste for Gambit Prime. Does factor RNG & time):

S++: Reckoner
S+: Unbroken
S: Rivensbane, Shadow
A: Blacksmith, Hanrbinger
B: Seasonal Titles, MMXIX, Enlightened
C: Wayfarer, Chromnicler, Cursebreaker
D: Dredgen

Community Vote Based on Coolness of Name (666 total votes):

Shadow: 22%
Unbroken: 16%
Harbinger: 10%
Rivensbane: 9%
Undying/Blacksmith: 8%
Enlightened: 7%
Reckoner/Cursebreaker: 5%
Chronicler: 4%
Dredgen: 3%
Wayfarer/MMXIX: 1%

For what it's worth, I wouldn't rate anybody's title as easy. They each take more work than most entire single player games.

I'm honoured people think my title sounds the coolest.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I honestly get sad when I see Reckoner, because I know what they did to get it and I know they hate themselves for it.

Of my titles, the one I'm most proud of is Rivensbane. But only because I had all but given up hope on getting a 1KV. That one was the biggest relief ever. Also the flawless run ended up being epic because we made it to the ends of the Queenswalk and wiped seconds before finishing the raid...had to start over from the beginning and do it all again. It was crazy and amazing. Really good memories there. It was the only title that really meant something that felt like it was a real ordeal to earn. Solo dungeon made Harbinger pretty spicy too, but that was more fun than anything else.

I'd go get Unbroken if there was something more than a title to it. If they had pinnacle rewards every season at the 5500 level, I'd have it already. But I'm motivated by stuff, not titles.

All the other titles were easy if not a little time-intensive.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly get sad when I see Reckoner, because I know what they did to get it and I know they hate themselves for it.

Of my titles, the one I'm most proud of is Rivensbane. But only because I had all but given up hope on getting a 1KV. That one was the biggest relief ever. Also the flawless run ended up being epic because we made it to the ends of the Queenswalk and wiped seconds before finishing the raid...had to start over from the beginning and do it all again. It was crazy and amazing. Really good memories there. It was the only title that really meant something that felt like it was a real ordeal to earn. Solo dungeon made Harbinger pretty spicy too, but that was more fun than anything else.

I'd go get Unbroken if there was something more than a title to it. If they had pinnacle rewards every season at the 5500 level, I'd have it already. But I'm motivated by stuff, not titles.

All the other titles were easy if not a little time-intensive.

There is definitely some titles that are more impressive than others, but overall any title is the sign of a player accomplishing everything within that content launch and it's still impressive. But Unbroken, Rivensbane, Enlightened, Blacksmith and Shadow all to me are the most impressive as they've raids in them. But still, a title is a title and every one of them has some sort of challenge attached and that's cool. Chronicler is really cool, I didn't have the patience for that shit.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Titles with raid associations just means you have a steady clan to play with.

Impressive, but wholly circumstantial.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry, appended mag is better. Back to the grindstone.

it took me like 700 rolls but i finally got that thing. vorpal, trip tap, appended.

now to likely never use it again. For one thing, I only carry 7-8 in inventory so i have room to dismantle blues, examine new drops etc. and if i'm carrying a sniper, it's probably got to double duty as a pvp. aka in energy slot it's beloved. just like the only energy shotgun i normally carry is mindbenders. sure i can pull stuff from vault just for certain content, but in practice it doesnt happen that often.

i cant imagine actually "grinding" for that any normal way. Getting them completely free and it still took an eternity and literally I have no idea, 100 no hit rolls?

BTW did they remove double end perks because of the bugs? I noticed Trophy Hunter didn't have them for me even though I'm way past season pass 100 now.

Giggity at 4 IB pinnacles next week. Plus the two I always do for 100k NF and Legend Sundial. 980 here I come!

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I find it very hard to see the appeal of Destiny 2. I'm very curious about what keeps people playing this game.

Currently I'm co-oping through the game with a friend and it is fun. The gunplay is nice and the worlds look good (though the art style is rather generic). Though the story might as well not exist, it's so boring. The loot game is very underwhelming. And the open world bits are fun for a couple of minutes before they become a drag. Also, it's very easy so far, we've encountered zero challenge.

The only thing that keeps me somewhat interested in the franchise is that it's created by Bungie. There remains a glimmer of hope that they can bring the magic of Halo to the Destiny franchise. But so far they haven't even come close. If it weren't for Bungie, I probably would never have given Destiny a chance.

Edit: This game is also baffling bad at introducing new players to the world. It starts with the boring ass Destiny 1 intro. Only to drop you into the game afterwards with no clear objective. It took use a couple of hours (and Googling what the hell we were supposed to do) to find the hidden character you need to talk to to actually start the campaign. Which then actually starts the proper intro to the story which is a whole lot more engaging...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I find it very hard to see the appeal of Destiny 2. I'm very curious about what keeps people playing this game.

Currently I'm co-oping through the game with a friend and it is fun. The gunplay is nice and the worlds look good (though the art style is rather generic). Though the story might as well not exist, it's so boring. The loot game is very underwhelming. And the open world bits are fun for a couple of minutes before they become a drag. Also, it's very easy so far, we've encountered zero challenge.

The only thing that keeps me somewhat interested in the franchise is that it's created by Bungie. There remains a glimmer of hope that they can bring the magic of Halo to the Destiny franchise. But so far they haven't even come close. If it weren't for Bungie, I probably would never have given Destiny a chance.
k

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

They play it so they can complain about it on the internet.

It has the gunplay that is very satisfying, which helps too i guess.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not here to stomp on your game. Just expressing my current thoughts about the game and curious if we haven't reached the 'good bit' yet or missing something else.
Could have fooled me.

We play for the satisfying loop of combat and rewards.

If want a challenge, try doing one of the many raids.

If you want pinnacle gear and loot, there are various dungeons and Nightfall strikes that give good loot. Or pick up an exotic bounty or two.

The in game story is not very compelling but lore and world building has no equal imo.

The game is stunning and the music is an underrated achievement, this peak Bungie as far as I'm concerned. Halo was nice and all but it had no where near the ambition and scope as what Destiny is attempting.

The new player experience and onboarding is fucking trash though, I'll give you that.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Once I got Unbroken I knew I wasn't going to go for any other title.

I've not played Destiny for a month and a half and seeing this made me want to jump back on just to complete season pass

Nice.

For everyone that doesn't know, you basically farm the gun bounty XP from the tower obelisk and polarized fractaline donations. What you need is shards and glimmer. Glimmer you can get from the spider.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could have fooled me.

We play for the satisfying loop of combat and rewards.

If want a challenge, try doing one of the many raids.

If you want pinnacle gear and loot, there are various dungeons and Nightfall strikes that give good loot. Or pick up an exotic bounty or two.

The in game story is not very compelling but lore and world building has no equal imo.

The game is stunning and the music is an underrated achievement, this peak Bungie as far as I'm concerned. Halo was nice and all but it had no where near the ambition and scope as what Destiny is attempting.

The new player experience and onboarding is fucking trash though, I'll give you that.

Is it worthwhile and fun to do the raids/dungeons before you've reached the end game? At this point we're pretty much skipping them since we have no desperate need for better gear and the one Strike we did wasn't that interesting or challenging.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it worthwhile and fun to do the raids/dungeons before you've reached the end game? At this point we're pretty much skipping them since we have no desperate need for better gear and the one Strike we did wasn't that interesting or challenging.
Are you playing the base game.

What light/power are you both? Will determine if you are ready for endgame.

Also Forsaken expansion has the best campaign.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We are close to the end of the vanilla story. About to jump in to the free DLCs. I think I'm light level 790-ish.
You are levelling. The content you are playing isn't challenging.

Keep playing until you hit 900.
Once you hit 900, you will see yellow orbs appear next to content in the director that will give powerful rewards that will take you to 960.

Then you can get into the current end game where the challenge is.

There's also Crucible and Gambit.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
For me it is to the point where I I already have everything I need to blow through every content. Anything I get at this point is for collection purposes and I dont really care for that nowadays. I'd be happy enough just for pvp but pvp is crap nowadays.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Jebsus fucking christ, 6 control match losses in the row. I went all positive KD for 6 matches but my teammates are utter garbage trash at killing and capping points. Matchmaking at its finest.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm honoured people think my title sounds the coolest.

And tied for the toughest in PvE, apparently.

Titles with raid associations just means you have a steady clan to play with.

Impressive, but wholly circumstantial.

Enh, I don't think there's anything circumstantial about a flawless raid clear. Anyone who pulls that off went through a lot of pain & whining teammates to earn it.

Edit: This game is also baffling bad at introducing new players to the world. It starts with the boring ass Destiny 1 intro. Only to drop you into the game afterwards with no clear objective. It took use a couple of hours (and Googling what the hell we were supposed to do) to find the hidden character you need to talk to to actually start the campaign. Which then actually starts the proper intro to the story which is a whole lot more engaging...

To me it's the movement & moment to moment gunplay. Once I clicked with it, it became more absorbing than any other mechanics I've encountered in gaming, from Mario to Tetris to Street Fighter.

The loot is unimpressive because you're not at the impressive loot stage of the game yet. The levelling during the initial campaign ends up being 1-2% of the time long term players spend with the game.

They take a two-tiered approach to the storytelling. The main cutscene-driven story is straightforward and kept relatively brief and clear for players who are just there to shoot stuff. It also changes a lot after the Red War & Curse of Osiris storylines. You can tell they were trying to ape Avengers at the time, and everyone is very quippy in those storylines. That goes away & it gets back into its groove with the Forsaken & Drifter/Nine storylines.

But the lore they have built up around it is amazing & incredibly deep, better than any I've encountered elsewhere. Individual weapons have entire short novels built up around them and the individuals who wield them. There multiple mythologies, dozens of different factions & actors working with and against one another, and mountains of hidden connections to find. You say the world's generic, but once you dive into it, it's a post-apocalyptic science-fantasy psychological cosmic horror war story western, and those elements somehow fit together naturally. Check this guy out, he's got over a million views on many of his videos explaining the lore: My name is Byf

I played through Halos 1-4, had CE when it first came out. It was revolutionary, and really had a great emotional core. But I personally think Destiny surpassed Halo a while back, though I see why some might feel differently on the PvP side. They really took almost everything they did with Halo & expanded on it to a great degree. Except now it's not a story about the US Marines colonizing the universe.

Last edited:

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Unless they've made it easier since this time last year, all of the pain. That might have been the grindiest grind I've done in this game.

And I have 375 forge clears.

Ugh

Think it might just be something I try to do when I have to be on mars. Found a random post on reddit that said your first node each day has a better chance of of dropping the schematic or whatever it is I need. Maybe just trying once a day won't be too bad.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what
They are literally the one thing in the entire game that is actually impressive because you need a flawless run.
I am not saying they aren't impressive because they obviously require effort, but doing a flawless raid means you have access to like minded others with the same time resource to run raids over and over again - that will never be the case for 99. 9% of the playerbase.

Because circumstances will not allow for that.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I am not saying they aren't impressive because they obviously require effort, but doing a flawless raid means you have access to like minded others with the same time resource to run raids over and over again - that will never be the case for 99. 9% of the playerbase.

I do think we're long overdue for a solo pinnacle challenge thought of as being at least in the orbit of raids in regards to achievement.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada

It's fun? I like the core gameplay loop of guns and abilities, as well as the feeling of mastery of improving at both the PvE and (especially) the PvP.

There remains a glimmer of hope that they can bring the magic of Halo to the Destiny franchise.

I personally think Destiny as a whole is a better game than any of the Halo games. I think the Bungie Halo games had a better, more cinematic narrative experience, but not nearly as rich overall story and lore.

This game is also baffling bad at introducing new players to the world.

Yes, it needs to be improved. It feels like they really only planned for existing players to pull their friends in and be their personal sherpa.

The only raid that's power level gated for you is the latest one, Garden of Salvation. All the rest are 750 where you started. You just need friends and knowledge (or a willingness to do it blind). You can optimize your loadout but knowledge and ability trump gear. Do them because they're fun.

Dec 2, 2017
Ugh

Think it might just be something I try to do when I have to be on mars. Found a random post on reddit that said your first node each day has a better chance of of dropping the schematic or whatever it is I need. Maybe just trying once a day won't be too bad.

I did it by just going to Hellas Basin & running those kill enemies & collect items patrols in Escalation Protocol as the last thing I did before signing off every night. You can get one or two nodes in a couple of minutes that way. Eventually I was able to clear all 44 nodes too.

I do think we're long overdue for a solo pinnacle challenge thought of as being at least in the orbit of raids in regards to achievement.
I think that's what they're going for with Harbinger & its solo Pit of Heresy clear requirement.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

yes, but for example I have a small clan and we can barely finish the few raids we do lol (it's their fault though but please don't tell them). Can't even imagine attempting a flawless run.

Flawless, unlike everything else in the game, doesn't only require time and luck, but also a little bit of skills.
I do know people who got them via LFG (personally I won't try that even for money).

Oct 25, 2017
For me i like the Gunplay most of all to the point that i now understand when people defended the game with "the shooting is good" as their main or only defence.

Playing with a crew can also help but i'm in that place where i'm basically the only one playing now since everyone else bounced.

I also don't give a shit about the flawless stuff (whether its a group of like minded people i somehow lucked into or solo) and they shouldn't be those seals. Instead they should have a seal like enlightened where all of that shit is in there (call it Perfectionist or something).

Jebsus fucking christ, 6 control match losses in the row. I went all positive KD for 6 matches but my teammates are utter garbage trash at killing and capping points. Matchmaking at its finest.

While i'm so sorry for your continued suffering in PvP its funny to read your posts because of the fucked up situations you end up in.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
For me i like the Gunplay most of all to the point that i now understand when people defended the game with "the shooting is good" as their main or only defence.

Yep. I remember that fierce Giant Bomb GOTY debate when D1 hit, and that was the whole argument Jeff & Brad were putting out for it, lol. I spend like 80% of my time just flying around & doing random bounties & listening to podcasts or lore videos, that's a great way to chill & satisfying enough just on its own.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I remember that fierce Giant Bomb GOTY debate when D1 hit, and that was the whole argument Jeff & Brad were putting out for it, lol. I spend like 80% of my time just flying around & doing random bounties & listening to podcasts or lore videos, that's satisfying enough just on its own.

If I feel too mentally drained for anything challenging or a game that takes some active effort, I will sling on a playlist/podcast/show/audio book and just relax into the minute-to-minute instant gratification of bounties and patrols.

The fact the game is that satisfying at its core means when it does engage it's some of the best gaming around.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I did all my raid titles (including flawless) using LFG - only being lucky to get enough clan members for the clan triumph

I still don't have the Crown clan triumph, and I had to invite a 6th person to join my clan temporarily for the Garden triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.