• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
You have the memory of deer. But the deer got hit by a car and its head contorted in such a violent manner upon impact that its antlers impaled its own guts. The deer is dead, is the point I am making. It no longer remembers anything. Because it is dead.
tenor.gif

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few minutes ago it dawned on me that the D1 Year 1 DLC support was actually a lot better than last year's support and this year's support so far. That's really bad.
Yes, the dlcs with barely any content and lots of either reskins or voiceless reused playspaces was better than Shadowkeep.

Gurl.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, they've also said that the game's size has ballooned too large and is a reason for rotating seasonal events, which suggests it would be best for a slate wipe.

That's just pure marketing. If size was the problem they'd compress the tons of audio they have that takes half the space, or repackage story campaigns as optional downloads. There's TONS of stuff they could convert to optional download.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like if you really thought D1Y1 was good, you're like Bane but the venom you pump into your body is actually rose-scented, revisionist mucus and every time Batman comes to fight you you're like "You know, Mr. Wayne, it dawned on me that in actuality I'm not so bad a guy after all. I'm actually a good guy."

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
That's just pure marketing. If size was the problem they'd compress the tons of audio they have that takes half the space, or repackage story campaigns as optional downloads. There's TONS of stuff they could convert to optional download.

they might not mean digital size but size in upkeep, too low playerbase in events because they are diluted (like when they had 4 forges long after Black Armory you might have a hard time with matchmaking), bug fighting etc if they support endless activities forever.

And if it was easy to shrink Destiny digital size significantly by compressing some audio I'm sure they'd have done. Everything in this engine hooks to everything else we've learned, and I imagine they can't easily do that.

Oct 26, 2017
A few minutes ago it dawned on me that the D1 Year 1 DLC support was actually a lot better than last year's support and this year's support so far. That's really bad.

Unless you mean D2 Year 1 DLC, (Where I can see an argument for Warmind being probably the best non-Taken King level DLC) I have to disagree hard on this. Both Dark Below and HoW had missions where you literally just played the same areas from base D1 missions, but ran them backwards. They didn't even have new planets/actual zones unlike Y1 of D2. Dark Below was a trainwreck and just as bad as CoO, if not worse in some ways (IMO it is absolutely worse in basically every way compared to CoO).

Post Taken King and post Rise of Iron we barely saw anything like what we've seen after Forsaken and now SK. It just isn't necessarily the amount of content people seem to expect. I wouldn't mind if we got a RoI or TK level expansion once a year and something more akin to Warmind in-between alongside lighter seasonal stuff.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This reveal seemed incredibly familiar...like Curse of Osiris familiar. I'll check it out as I've bought Shadowkeep on PC and Xbox with the Season Pass as well so why not considering it's already paid for. That said, I feel like I've begun the process of weaning myself off Destiny a bit as the recycled hamster wheel is beyond grating and old at this point. Bungie has a real built-in excuse to never go all-in on new activities or god forbid update them with the idea of giving players interesting ways to replay them as those new activities just go bye-bye at season's end anyways. The seals/titles were just created to give players artificial reasons to replay the same mundane activities over and over with zero significant changes. Armor 2.0 just feels like it's focused on decreasing cooldowns and not much more rather than something more akin to a Diablo 3-like Paragon point system with the ability to increase a lot of different stats/attributes as you play earning XP. The seasonal events are simply dreadful/boring and The Dawning will be no different this year.

I guess I feel like they've lost their way a bit in what Destiny is (to me anyways, it will never be the exact game anyone wants it to be but I don't like this direction much at all). Love the gameplay/gunplay in spurts and the artists do an amazing job but it's just not enough anymore to dedicate time day-in and day-out for what boils down to simply a mundane experience through and through.

I feel exactly the same way about Destiny 2 in its current state.
Destiny 1 had a fair share of issues but at the end of the day the gameplay loop was still so much more fun than what they currently offer with Destiny 2.
I really hope they do a soft reboot with Destiny 3 and lean more into the RPG side of things. Make the classes and abilities varied and meaningful.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would be the wise thing to do.

But it's Bungie.

(plus, from the rumors it seems the technology they use is a kind of elephant that doesn't move. They made zero updates technology-wise since D2 release.)

Actually, let's just DREAM, for a second. What would be the very best scenario possible, going forward?

Here's my idea:
Instead of making a completely separate "Destiny 3", they make another brand new client that instead of a complete reset it ports all D2 content right into the new game (nice wink to the new consoles: "Destiny 3 will be retrocompatible"). Destiny 2 ceases to exist, and Destiny 3 becomes a base platform that joins some new content + D2, all for free. Plus they sell actual meaty story expansion, content, planets and whatnot under a proper new DLC, that becomes the "main" D3.

So they have on one side a complete new game to sell, and on the other they port everyone to the new game seamlessly, giving just the barebone for free, and then sell the actual new content as DLC.

So you want them to make a Destiny 3 that is Destiny 2 but with an added expension? The backlash would be huge lol. There is no logical reason to release a new client that consists mostly of old content.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So you want them to make a Destiny 3 that is Destiny 2 but with an added expension? The backlash would be huge lol. There is no logical reason to release a new client that consists mostly of old content.
I dont see any other way for Bungie to release a sequel that would be coparable in scope and depth to D2.

In fact upon release they were chastised for abandoning the work they had put into making D1 great to go back to the drawing board. I mean FFS we just got the moon back.

Anyone that has a problem with D2 coming as an appendage to D3 doesn't matter.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
If d3 doesn't start with the darkness fucking everything up then Bungie has let me down. I'm tired of shooting Vex, Fallen, Hive, Cabal. The darkness sound extremely terrifyingly powerful in the lore and even more so than the Vex. Impress me, Bungie.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont see any other way for Bungie to release a sequel that would be coparable in scope and depth to D2.

In fact upon release they were chastised for abandoning the work they had put into making D1 great to go back to the drawing board. I mean FFS we just got the moon back.

Anyone that has a problem with D2 coming as an appendage to D3 doesn't matter.

The only way is to not release a sequel. Just keep it as Destiny 2. If they release Destiny 3 by far the biggest chunk has to be new content. Even if there is only some reused content i can imagine there will be backlash. Look at the backlash Bungie gets when they re-use content in DLC.

Imagine if you bought The Last of Us 2 and half if the game is the same as the first. Making old content playable is fine, but the meat of the content should be new. Else it doesn't justify a new SKU.

The only justifiable thing they could do is rebrand the whole thing simply 'Destiny' and keep building on that. Adding a number higher implies new content and would borderline on faul marketing. Look at the discussion about VII Remake.

Oct 31, 2017
I just kinda reckoned the reason the new content isn't as full-featured as we had hoped was because most of them are working on a proper sequel and a much smaller crew is keeping D2 running. Considering their split from Activision and resulting vulnerability I just assumed they were in no position to be that transparent about the situation and are hoping to ride things out until they can do a proper announcement for D3. Although, I'll admit that's just my positive(?) take on it since I really have no idea what's going on.

In regards to this new season itself being content-lite... well that sucks but I'm hoping I can play for a couple weeks leading up to Christmas break, travel back home overseas, and then once that's over mop up the climb to 100 again and move on to the others games I have...

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing there is no new Raid or Dungeon. The smaller raids are nice for quicker big PvE activities. SotP is one of my faves, still haven't played CoS though. Still in for $10. Gimme that Exotic Sidearm!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just kinda reckoned the reason the new content isn't as full-featured as we had hoped was because most of them are working on a proper sequel and a much smaller crew is keeping D2 running. Considering their split from Activision and resulting vulnerability I just assumed they were in no position to be that transparent about the situation and are hoping to ride things out until they can do a proper announcement for D3. Although, I'll admit that's just my positive(?) take on it since I really have no idea what's going on.

In regards to this new season itself being content-lite... well that sucks but I'm hoping I can play for a couple weeks leading up to Christmas break, travel back home overseas, and then once that's over mop up the climb to 100 again and move on to the others games I have...
Even then, When ou split the teams up.

If we are speaking from the independent Bungie

You have a crew working on Skeep,

Another team working on Dawn

The Janitors and interns on Undying,

Another team working on Spring Season

Another team working on Summer season

A much bigger team working on the big September/October drop

With smaller teams again rotating on the seasonal stuff for a year leading to D3.

And then you have the bulk of the artists and programmers and leads working on D3.

This is a huge stretch and undertaking - the very fact that people want a raid and a dungeon and factions and trials every three months is absurd no matter how big your team is.

Its a live service, they need to adjust their bandwidth to work without two whole studios in VV and HM.

This is not a small undertaking.

May 25, 2019
London
Unless you mean D2 Year 1 DLC, (Where I can see an argument for Warmind being probably the best non-Taken King level DLC) I have to disagree hard on this. Both Dark Below and HoW had missions where you literally just played the same areas from base D1 missions, but ran them backwards. They didn't even have new planets/actual zones unlike Y1 of D2. Dark Below was a trainwreck and just as bad as CoO, if not worse in some ways (IMO it is absolutely worse in basically every way compared to CoO).

Post Taken King and post Rise of Iron we barely saw anything like what we've seen after Forsaken and now SK. It just isn't necessarily the amount of content people seem to expect. I wouldn't mind if we got a RoI or TK level expansion once a year and something more akin to Warmind in-between alongside lighter seasonal stuff.

IMO the biggest problem with Dark Below was that they forced you to "upgrade" your exotics and then regrind to unlock all the nodes again in them.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a huge stretch and undertaking - the very fact that people want a raid and a dungeon and factions and trials every three months is absurd no matter how big your team is.
Oh on that point you and I definitely agree. Maybe I just have very realistic expectations for the game but I'm usually not too disappointed in the amount of content that ends up getting revealed time and again. But then again for me, D2 is the game I just drop into when the mood suits, or there's a new season and I grab the gear I want and enjoy the tight shooting and then go back to whatever else I've got going on.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
So that reveal stream was pretty pants, there's really not gonna be much at all til D3 or a new expansion releases next year.

Its wild how Bungie really struggle to make content for their live service game when plenty of other dev teams manage.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh on that point you and I definitely agree. Maybe I just have very realistic expectations for the game but I'm usually not too disappointed in the amount of content that ends up getting revealed time and again. But then again for me, D2 is the game I just drop into when the mood suits, or there's a new season and I grab the gear I want and enjoy the tight shooting and then go back to whatever else I've got going on.
There is no right and wrong way to play Destiny.

But your approach is probably the healthiest.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The thing i want the most from Destiny 2 is a full port of Destiny 1 inside D2.
I never played it, and what better way to get tons of content(that i am told is so much better than anything D2 ever did) while also not overstreching the dev team since they can hopefully salvage much of the work that is already done.

Just put the current story threads on hold for 1.5 years, make D1 in D2 the next september release, rebrand the game as just Destiny for launch of next gen consoles for 2021 and then continue the big Darkness story arc in september 2021.

People might be mad and screech "Recycled Content", but imo recycling is good for the environment, and its not like these people would not find another reason to be man if they didnt.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Bungie needs to stop putting so many resources in creating content and activities that are temporary and then get left behind, each and every season. This mainly applies to their PvE activities. We have Escalation Protocol, Blind Well, the forges, Reckoning, Menagerie, Vex Offensive and now Sundial.

They need to develop something that is sustainable, something permanent, that can easily be amended, improved and upgraded as time goes on. It's just such a waste to reinvent the wheel and start over every season. It's horribly inefficient. It's not the first or second time I've said this either.

The Menagerie is the most fleshed out and most robust of them all. The Leviathan, being so massive, and being such a profound destination, lends itself to having more and more sections and bosses added to it. It also has fantastic loot mechanics, arguably the best ever in the entire history of the game. Plus, Calus giving us more to do and more challenges is in congruence with the lore and ongoing narrative too.

There as to be someone at Bungie who has had the sane idea.

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if we'll be able to go back in time and help someone cheat death, why aren't we bringing back Cayde?!!!

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In my last post I wasn't talking about large expansions Shadowkeep. I was talking about the 2018 annual pass content and the current year's annual pass content vs the D1Y1 expansions.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie needs to stop putting so many resources in creating content and activities that are temporary and then get left behind, each and every season. This mainly applies to their PvE activities. We have Escalation Protocol, Blind Well, the forges, Reckoning, Menagerie, Vex Offensive and now Sundial.

They need to develop something that is sustainable, something permanent, that can easily be amended, improved and upgraded as time goes on. It's just such a waste to reinvent the wheel and start over every season. It's horribly inefficient. It's not the first or second time I've said this either.

The Menagerie is the most fleshed out and most robust of them all. The Leviathan, being so massive, and being such a profound destination, lends itself to having more and more sections and bosses added to it. It also has fantastic loot mechanics, arguably the best ever in the entire history of the game. Plus, Calus giving us more to do and more challenges is in congruence with the lore and ongoing narrative too.

They seem to understand that somewhat.

Gambit Prime had its own season.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So that reveal stream was pretty pants, there's really not gonna be much at all til D3 or a new expansion releases next year.

Its wild how Bungie really struggle to make content for their live service game when plenty of other dev teams manage.
Most of the devs probably aren't working on d2 or at least not on this year's content. How else do you explain a 700+ dev studio releasing so little content?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We better not getting d3 in 2020. No one who's been with destiny long enough and knows of the development issues with both games, should want that.
Thats what I'm saying, releasing a cross gen D3 would be a business move to catch as many boxes as possible. Which means launching with the new consoles next year.

Nobody should want this because tying Dessty 3 down to the current-gen consoles would limit the ambitions of the game massively.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I agree with this. I really don't understand what they're doing, I assumed menagerie was going to just kinda be the thing moving forward with seasonal changes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So some of you really think there wouldn't been an insane outcry from the community about Bungie not delivering any "new" content if they just added stuff to the Menagerie forever?
Cause you do realize the community would fucking eviscerate them only, right?

You literally can not appease communities for games like this (or almost any games) and the hugely vocal minority will always cry their hearts out about how "their game" just "doesn't have it anymore".

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So some of you really think there wouldn't been an insane outcry from the community about Bungie not delivering any "new" content if they just added stuff to the Menagerie forever?
Cause you do realize the community would fucking eviscerate them only, right?

You literally can not appease communities for games like this (or almost any games) and the hugely vocal minority will always cry their hearts out about how "their game" just "doesn't have it anymore".
I see you've to the Reddits lately...