• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
SHadowkeep-3.jpg

Reviews seem to be trickling in

Playstation Universe 9/10
Destiny 2 has never felt, looked, or been in a better spot than it is with Shadowkeep. This is not only the most accessible Destiny has ever been, but with the introduction of New Light, it is also more in-depth than ever with a new focus on hardcore players. Shadowkeep is an elegant blend of nostalgia mixed with the discovery of a new direction for the universe of Destiny. If you have ever been on the fence about Destiny, it's a perfect time to try.

vg247 8/10
Veterans of the franchise will feel right at home on the Moon, and new players will be equally terrified and enthralled by it. Bungie had previously stated that the Moon would feature psychological horrors, and the creepy combination of nails-on-a-chalkboard music with faceless, floating phantoms sends a shiver down your spine.

stevivor 9/10
Shadowkeep is a big stride forward for Destiny 2, and it shows that Bungie cares about its game. Sure, there are some stumbling blocks like a bare bones story and some wonky design choices, but those don't get in the way of enjoying the core Destiny experience. I love Destiny, and the breath of fresh air that Shadowkeep has brought to the series has me hooked once more.

Destructoid 6.5/10
Forsaken had a fantastic campaign that Shadowkeep doesn't quite match, but all of the enhancements for Year 3 of Destiny 2 help balance it all out.

Metro 6/10
A disappointingly backwards-looking expansion that rather than signal a new era for Destiny and Bungie is just more of the same empty teases and recycled content

Gamespot 8/10
What's clear from just the first few days of Shadowkeep is that it represents a shift in the fundamentals of Destiny 2, and that has only improved the game. Returning to the moon is full of spooky fun, and while Shadowkeep might not be as huge as Forsaken, it still provides some impressive additions to the world that will take time to fully explore. More meaningful choices in Shadowkeep, even in the early hours, are pushing me to think beyond just packing my most powerful guns and shooting everything in my path. It remains to be seen just how much new choice and nuance these improvements will provide at the highest levels of play, but they absolutely represent a giant leap forward for Destiny 2

Pushsquare 6/10
While its campaign is enjoyable in the moment, Destiny 2: Shadowkeep never manages to truly shake the fact that we already went to the Moon five years ago. For better or worse, this is just more Destiny, and that's a positive for those enamoured with the franchise, but anyone who was hoping for a more dramatic overhaul of its core systems and mechanics will be left wanting. Bungie has huge plans for the future of Destiny 2, but Shadowkeep only delivers a small piece of that vision.

gameblog 6/10
In spite of the limited qualities of this new campaign, Destiny fans will be able to find their account with some welcome adjustments. If multiple loots of a single item are still to be expected - even the one you had already had six times in Renegades - the infusion is easier and you can easily upgrade your exotic rifle fetish.

Metacritic 73

Opencritic 74

(will update when more come in)​

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd be inclined to agree that the game itself is in quite a good spot right now, but the actual Shadowkeep-specific stuff doesn't feel all that impactful (at this point).

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because of the season pass stuff i guess, need to see how that unfolds. Ignoring that though the Forsaken expansion was much, much larger so not expecting reviews to be insanely glowing this early.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm enjoying the expansion and I can agree with the 6/10's so far. The planned content should be fine, but we don't have all of it yet so the mid scores are accurate.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, the moon is too much of a rehash from the first Destiny. Heck, they even reused a lot of the same assets!

Feels kinda lazy. Just wish it was something different than before.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
ROI reviewed rather poorly. This feels similar to that. That said, the game is in a great place right now for the veterans.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
I think reviewing an expansion for a something, where Bungie themselves have said will evolve, is nothing more than begging for clicks. The PushSquare review of "we were there five years ago" makes me roll me eyes so hard. That was a completely different game. Those new to the series have never been there before, which is who the review should be trying to reach.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did the last mission and didn't know it was. It was just getting good. I was dumbfounded after realizing that's it was the last mission like wtf..

Dec 28, 2017
Some destiny lore grand master said is the best story so far in destiny and this reused assets combos is on pair with forsaken and the taken king, this Youtuber needs optometrist eye check soon. This dlc is one of the lowest produced by bungo. Is not even close to Rise of iron, is just bad and don't get fooled by all youtubers that speak highly about this dlc.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Some destiny lore grand master said is the best story so far in destiny and this reused assets combos is on pair with forsaken and the taken king, this Youtuber needs optometrist eye check soon. This dlc is one of the lowest produced by bungo. Is not even close to Rise of iron, is just bad and don't get fooled by all youtubers that speak highly about this dlc.

Or all the Destiny fans on this forum that are really enjoying it.

I think you need an optometrist eye check lol

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Lore was always amazing, it's just that the In Game was also always downright embarrassing and NEVER good. No, unfunny one liners of a one dimensional Robot doesn't count and this the death of said character didn't affect me in any way whatsoever.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is the Destiny holding pattern.

Base game, (standard)
The next year's major expansion (huge)
Year 3 (smaller with Qol changes)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The poor reviews are perfectly founded. I came back to Destiny for Shadowkeep, and boy, I really shouldn't have.

It's infuriating that they found yet another reason to just re-use all their old stuff.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't played since Curse of Osiris, really enjoying how they made everything accessible to players that haven't touched the game in 18 months. Best FPS I've played this year, frankly.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yup, a repeat of ROI,

Honest to god, I don't know to even review a game that changes week to week.

Honestly I think in terms of how critical people have been on their DLC'S/Expansions I think doing it this way makes it so early reviews are redundant. Which also makes it hard also to at least review it quality wise what your getting.

Something they still needed to learn from WOW. Forsaken was a step in the right direction, but looks like this is a little step back.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You appease your most dedicated core, you end up tiring the shareholders and the press.

I dunno if that's true but I see this expansion as a continuation of their mentality since Forsaken, which pays off for the players but pissed off Activision. I'm just throwing in reviewers for the metacritic reaction.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, the moon is too much of a rehash from the first Destiny. Heck, they even reused a lot of the same assets!

The whole franchise has a problem with rehashing and reintroducing stuff. it is like its going in circles.

but seems the "fans" are ok with it, they could basically relaunch the whole Destiny 1 content as a fullprice release and many people would be raving about it and throwing money at the screen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You appease your most dedicated core, you end up tiring the shareholders and the press.

I dunno if that's true but I see this expansion as a continuation of their mentality since Forsaken, which pays off for the players but pissed off Activision. I'm just throwing in reviewers for the metacritic reaction.

Forsaken, along with Taken King were their biggest expansions that expanded the lore, but also were decent in stand alone content. Forsaken was reviewed well, and it was something that came out for $39.99 and felt worth it similar to a big WOW/ Diablo EXPANSION.

I think it's a fine line. I think unless you have that content there up front in the expansion instead of drop feeding it is the better way to go. Feels like the split with Activision didn't give them enough to make something big and meaninful like Forsaken. Which added the prison, the new enemies, new bosses.

This seems like some of it is reskinned from previous Destiny stuff.

Would have rather they just Made Forsaken F2P as well giving more content for people to get through while they make a bigger expansion. Unless year 3 is their last big year content wise until they start making D3?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think my biggest issue is nothing is explained well. I am a returning player, and all the new stuff or how armor is handled is basically leading me to google everything.

Which is not good.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd give it a 7 so far. With two other games I've played this year have had amazing expansions (Shadowbringers and Iceborne), Shadowkeep feels remarkably low key. Curious how it holds up throughout the year.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This makes sense, I will listen only to you and ignore other peoples opinions.

Do you plan to start a cult soon?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I didn't buy it but my buddy told me about it and basically it's the location from the first game? That's a real shame. But maybe next time I guess. Destiny 3 is probably still far off, so they will undoubtedly keep bringing stuff.

Still would've have been so great if this had been fantastic, now that Bungie is on their own, free of Acti really.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think reviewing an expansion for a something, where Bungie themselves have said will evolve, is nothing more than begging for clicks. The PushSquare review of "we were there five years ago" makes me roll me eyes so hard. That was a completely different game. Those new to the series have never been there before, which is who the review should be trying to reach.

Nope. They put this out now and are asking money for it. Totally fair to review what it is so far, though there should be a mention in the review that more content will come. Of course there's no guarantee of the quality of said content.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content offered for 35$ is not a lot compared to some of their other expansions. Locking more content behind their season pass just feels kinda shitty. The first season should be included when you buy it. The overall changes are great, but I don't feel I got a lot from buying Shadowkeep.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Umm FFXIV: Shadowbringers was critically lauded with only the tip of its year-long content released and I don't remember anyone bemoaning that it wasn't "fairly" reviewed. You get reviewed based on what you put out. Period. Not promises of what's to come.

I played New Light and became immediately frustrated by not knowing where to go to start the damn legacy campaign I'd been on, then deleted the game (after finding that obscure quest giver) when I realized all my progress on said campaign had been completely wiped.

Good as D2 may be to long-term players it's rubbish at introducing new or returning players to its world.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content offered for 35$ is not a lot compared to some of their other expansions. Locking more content behind their season pass just feels kinda shitty. The first season should be included when you buy it. The overall changes are great, but I don't feel I got a lot from buying Shadowkeep.

The first season is included with shadowkeep when you buy it

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
It's certainly light on new content. There's barely any new armor right now and all vendors have the same shit they've had for 1-2 years.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that sounds fair, I love the improvements and new Lost Sectors the most of out this expansion. Shadowkeep story was really brief in not really impactful and the Moon is pretty boring unless there's Vex to kill.

Obviously will get better over time. They need to structure easing in New Light players though, sounds like a miserable experience if you're just starting out and just thrust into the game like "Have fun!".

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Definitely seems like a bit smaller of an upgrade but I just started it on Steam so I'm excited for all the NE wcontent I've never done before.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I honestly cannot think of something more useless than putting a score next to an expansion of an MMO-like that will unfold events in the next 3 months, less than a week after its release
Whether you put a 3 or a 9.

I opened one, no mention of the raid.
What do you even review?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly light on new content. There's barely any new armor right now and all vendors have the same shit they've had for 1-2 years.

It's like history repeating itself. Bungie goes crazy hyping up their new expansion and people buy it and it's just a short collection of missions in an area we've already been to before.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Seems about right.

The actual core gameplay changes like Armor 2.0 and a focus on seasonal stuff are great , but all of that is either available for free (Armor 2.0) or requires additional season purchases (like seasonal improvements). What you actually get for buying Shadowkeep is just an incredibly crappy campaign, nightmare hunts that are basically just redoing the crappy story missions with a group, and a new raid which is something that like 95% of the playerbase will never even play. Plus a couple of extra strikes.

Really the biggest gameplay addition to me is matchmaking for the new Nightfall mode, but the fact that Bungie is even charging for that doesn't exactly feel great. And even this is implemented extremely poorly since you can only match-make the first two difficulties for whatever reason.

Compared to Forsaken, there's really not a lot of content here. It's basically on the level of Warmind/Curse of Osiris, but more expensive. Hell, I had more fun with any of the three individual Forsaken seasons than I did with anything in Shadowkeep save for matchmade Nightfalls. And those were $10 each, not $35. Okay, technically that includes the first season too, but Vex offensive is just so completely terrible that it really shouldn't be brought up as a selling point, and sadly the game doesn't let you just buy Shadowkeep by itself.

I guess there's also the dungeon coming out, but that's unlikely to drastically change anything. Maybe reviewers should have waited for that to come out first, but on the other hand maybe Bungie should have released it at launch instead of holding it back.

The game now is better than it has ever been, so I'm still fine with it. But buying Shadowkeep definitely feels like an extremely poor value for money.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly cannot think of something more useless than putting a score next to an expansion of an MMO-like that will unfold events in the next 3 months, less than a week after its release
Whether you put a 3 or a 9.

I opened one, no mention of the raid.
What do you even review?
FFXIV got excellent reviews and the endgame raid wasn't even available.

Reviews should take into account what is offered in the moment of purchase.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I think these reviews are fair. The whole of Destiny 2 is in a really good spot, I think. Systems-wise they have a lot of good stuff going on (IMO) with the season artifact, season ranks, Armor 2.0, reworked mods, additional weapon mechanics, etc.

But in terms of just Shadowkeep itself? Yeah, it's super light on content. You could knock it out in a single night, no problem. And if you've played Destiny 1 and been to the moon, well, you're just going back to that moon.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
The first season is included with shadowkeep when you buy it
My bad. They locked some stuff behind the season pass and I confused it with the first season. Apparently the vex offensive is great and one of the best ways to get better gear. But I have to spend extra to get that.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
My bad. They locked some stuff behind the season pass and I confused it with the first season. Apparently the vex offensive is great and one of the best ways to get better gear. But I have to spend extra to get that.

Some activities are locked behind the season pass. See below.

destiny-2-new-light-content.jpg

Rise of Iron was actually good. From my friends that have played Shadowkeep... this isn't.

ROI at launch offered less content than Shadowkeep and was arguably a lesser experience. Not sure I agree with your friends.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

There is no season pass anymore; first season incl Vex offensive is included with Shadowkeep. The rest of the seasons until September 2020 are $10 each (or they come with the $60 digital deluxe version of shadowkeep). You can't do these activities if you're a f2p player obviously