• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some destiny lore grand master said is the best story so far in destiny and this reused assets combos is on pair with forsaken and the taken king, this Youtuber needs optometrist eye check soon. This dlc is one of the lowest produced by bungo. Is not even close to Rise of iron, is just bad and don't get fooled by all youtubers that speak highly about this dlc.

Don't get FOOLED, guys. My opinion is the correct one!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That ongoing narrative will cost extra right? If so that shouldn't be taken into account while scoring shadowkeep.
My understanding was that the actual story content that "should" be part of Shadowkeep is, well, part of Shadowkeep, but the events therein like the current season of things (Vex invasion stuff) is tied to its particular season. If that's not true, well...

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
It absolutely failed to meet expectations, that isn't even debatable. People were expecting an impossible video game because that's what Bungie has hyped it up to be over the years. I remember playing the alpha and thinking that the Old Russia gameplay was amazing and how I couldn't wait to play the other 20 zones that surely most be there.

Good raid design is another topic altogether.

I have never seen Bungie hype Destiny up to be an "impossible game". What does that even mean? The raids are actually quite difficult for most of the players engaged with Destiny. But as far as the game as a whole being "impossible", you might have just made that up.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I got the feeling from the prerelease stuff that it would be a heavy on asset reuse DLC, so it's the first one I'm skipping at launch. I'll wait to see how the next couple seasons play out, plus I'm sure SK will go on sale before this current season ends.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never seen Bungie hype Destiny up to be an "impossible game". What does that even mean? The raids are actually quite difficult for most of the players engaged with Destiny. But as far as the game as a whole being "impossible", you might have just made that up.
You didn't follow the development prior to release then. Go watch some of those old ViDocs and interviews and you'll see why people had impossible expectations for Destiny.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably give it a 6 so far, but super early days and I'm excited to see where it goes, even if I was disappointed by the current point it's at/where Shadowkeep's story ended.
Armour 2.0 and the new Artifact system look great, but too early to really mess with them yet, due to the leveling speed and the cost of fully leveling a set of armour up. The BattlePass is very low effort required, but also doesn't really have a whole lot of desirable stuff. The endgame has stepped down compared to last season's options and they replaced probably the most desirable weapon quests for me (Pinnacle Weapons), with mediocre-trash stuff that I have no real desire to get. The Moon is bleh too, not enough spawn points so gets frustrating when you have to solo 4 waves of Vex and 4 bosses, but also I never liked it to begin with.

Despite being more negative about it, I'm still really enjoying SK, the Crucible changes are great, the variety of content is great (especially if you skipped the 1st Annual Pass content), the new stuff like Vex Offensive is fun and Nightfall Ordeal has potential to get great if they add multiple NF options instead of 1 a week and they will be adding more stuff like a new Dungeon (the last 1 was fantastic), new exotic quests and more stuff to the newly released modes, so can see it raising up by week 10 to a 8 or even a 9. It's like Rise of Iron, it's more Destiny, you'll probably know if that's for you or not by now.

New Light is absolutely awful for introducing new players though, like to the point I can see it turning more off the franchise so far than getting them hooked. No idea why they thought that was a good way to do a F2P release.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie made the most disappointing game this generation, after having made some of the absolute best experiences of the previous gen. They definitely fell off hard despite Destiny 2 being a slight improvement.

"Hi guys I think destiny is disappointing... therefore it must be disappointing for everyone else!"

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the level scaling, isn't that how it's always kind of worked? New expansion comes out, best way to gear is to play new things. Strikes have always been irrelevant aside from bounties and people just wanting to play them. Bungie has always let strikes go by the wayside.

Aside from that I don't see how much was downgraded. Lots of veteran players don't want (or care) about story campaign anymore. Actually i'd argue that campaign has always been a roadblock to enjoying the best content in Destiny. I'm so glad they removed the need to do it.

They removed all rewards for completing anything before forsaken. If you dont think removing all the free exotics for new players is a downgrade for previous content, then i dont know what to tell you.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really a good comparison because people actually play Destiny and those people like Shadowkeep, whereas no one is actually playing Anthem to like anything it is doing.
But saying Bungie fell off hard is false.

Saying Bioware did is true.
Just speaking from personal preference here. Bungie with Destiny is nowhere close to where they were with Halo 1-3. Not at a single point. I'd be glad if they managed to pull it off with D3, but until then D1 and 2 aren't much better than DA Inquisition or Andromeda (after patches) to me. Anthem is a different story alltogether though, sure. Bungie hasn't fallen off that far.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Destiny was disappointing literally only because their pre-release talk and media showed a different game. They REALLY scaled down the ambition.

But the game has always been a huge success.

The raids have been probably the best PvE coop experience this gen. Game feels like a dream to play. Great art.

Halo PvP is unmatched but I would take Destiny PvE any day.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me how so many devs can create so little content. In D1 their excuse was the engine, what is it now, the migration?
Forsaken was HUGE and that was twelve months ago, between then and now, we've had Black Armoury, Season of the Dritter and Season of Opulence.

For Skeep we got a new raid, yes a short campaign, a handful of exotic quests, nightmare hunts, Armour 2.0, New Light, Steam Migration and much more to come. This #lazydevs rhetoric needs to die.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
After the reviews and player response, I dunno if SK is even worth buying. Especially since I don't normally raid anymore. Might be better off with just the season pass or wait until a discount comes for SK + season pass. Especially since I want to play on both PC and PS4 and I would need to buy both there - although I think you only need to buy the deluxe edition/season pass once and the season pass will apply to the 2nd platform?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

"Hi guys I think destiny is disappointing... therefore it must be disappointing for everyone else!"

Regardless of how you feel about what they did with it post-release, the launch version of Destiny was absolutely disappointing.

Also, let's be clear about what "disappointing" means. It doesn't mean they made the worst game, or a game that wasn't successful. The expectations that Bungie themselves set leading up to release, the amount of time and resources Bungie had and the expectations that set industry wide, were objectively not fulfilled.

I'm not going to argue with people who stuck with the series or came back to it years later once significant amounts of content had been added and much was changed to improve the situation, but at it's core Destiny in 2014 was profoundly disappointing.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
In the original D2 campaign there is a part where you have a choice of 1 from 3 exotics. The campaign is still the same but that gift had been removed. There is now a new quick mission that gives you Riskrunner as a reward. Riskrunner was one of those three choices.

Nothing else from vanilla Destiny is off limits from you. Some exotics are obtained in a quest, some are RNG drops.

Alrighty, looks like I will be playing tonight then with a new character, thanks again for answering my questions, I do appreciate it.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Umm FFXIV: Shadowbringers was critically lauded with only the tip of its year-long content released and I don't remember anyone bemoaning that it wasn't "fairly" reviewed. You get reviewed based on what you put out. Period. Not promises of what's to come.

I played New Light and became immediately frustrated by not knowing where to go to start the damn legacy campaign I'd been on, then deleted the game (after finding that obscure quest giver) when I realized all my progress on said campaign had been completely wiped.

Good as D2 may be to long-term players it's rubbish at introducing new or returning players to its world.

The bolded is exactly how I feel.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Right.. and that doesn't make it the most "disappointing game this generation".

It quite literally does. Destiny launched, and was disappointing. Two years later it was a bit better and had a bit more to do, and five years later it had a much better sequel, but none of that can change the fact that Destiny was a disappointment. It was successful in the long term, it arguably became "good" as Bungie continued to improve it, but it was a disappointment. Addressing that reality isn't related to or a critique of what the series is today.

Regardless of how you feel about Destiny's initial launch, the franchise is one of the biggest successes this generation.

See above. It did become a success. Many people like it. Destiny 2 with its expansions is arguably a good videogame. None of that changes that Destiny 1 failed to deliver on the expectations it set, making it a disappointment. If you feel like there was another release this generation that failed so spectacularly to meet the expectations it set, I'd absolutely be open to that conversation. But none of this changes that Destiny was a disappointment.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Weapon mods are like armor mods in that once you have them you have them forever, right? Can I delete all of them? Do I need to keep one?

What about the older Resilience/Recovery/Mobility/Paragon, etc mods, am I safe to delete those too?
Yep, you can just swap weapon mods now at only a Glimmer cost, the Mods are permanent unlocks. Delete them.

As for the armour mods they are still useful for now, as Armour 2.0 is very expensive to fully level up, so Armour 1.0 still have some use, especially in PvP. I'd keep them if you still have some old armour. If not just delete them too.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I think Destiny was disappointing literally only because their pre-release talk and media showed a different game. They REALLY scaled down the ambition.

But the game has always been a huge success.

The raids have been probably the best PvE coop experience this gen. Game feels like a dream to play. Great art.

Halo PvP is unmatched but I would take Destiny PvE any day.

The lore is pretty great too, but the delivery has been less then stellar.

Taken King (10/10), Forsaken (10/10) and Shadow Keep (8/10) are great campaigns.

The issue is that there's too much "tell, don't show" lore that feels a bit disconnected from the game.

That its in game in D2 unlike the grimoire cards in D1 is a massive improvement but I'd like more epic campaigns like the three above to be the norm.

Hope the expansions after Shadow Keep will deliver, but Black Armory and the one who's name I keep forgetting show that the smaller DLC packs are still mostly new vendors with minimal story (like Crota and HoW).

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Forsaken was HUGE and that was twelve months ago, between then and now, we've had Black Armoury, Season of the Dritter and Season of Opulence.

For Skeep we got a new raid, yes a short campaign, a handful of exotic quests, nightmare hunts, Armour 2.0, New Light, Steam Migration and much more to come. This #lazydevs rhetoric needs to die.
Define huge, how long was the campaign, 5 hours? 10? New worlds?

For an "MMO" destiny content has been scarce especially compared to how meaty expansions WoW gets for example. I know, different type of games but still.
I doubt the devs are lazy but they must have some management issues or the engine is truly that horrible to work with.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
It quite literally does. Destiny launched, and was disappointing. Two years later it was a bit better and had a bit more to do, and five years later it had a much better sequel, but none of that can change the fact that Destiny was a disappointment. It was successful in the long term, it arguably became "good" as Bungie continued to improve it, but it was a disappointment. Addressing that reality isn't related to or a critique of what the series is today.

See above. It did become a success. Many people like it. Destiny 2 with its expansions is arguably a good videogame. None of that changes that Destiny 1 failed to deliver on the expectations it set, making it a disappointment. If you feel like there was another release this generation that failed so spectacularly to meet the expectations it set, I'd absolutely be open to that conversation. But none of this changes that Destiny was a disappointment.

No point in arguing with you considering Destiny is the #2 best selling FPS behind Call of Duty and the 7th best selling franchise overall.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about Destiny's initial launch, the franchise is one of the biggest successes this generation.

Jesus christ. You didn't just move the goal posts to try and be 'right' you melted them down and erected a statue of saint 14.

Bungie has fucked up dozens of times with destiny. It is also a success with which they were lucky to fail upwards after multiple rough starts. Both things are true. Selling well doesn't magically erase their failures and invalidate criticism. The hell is wrong with some of you

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Define huge, how long was the campaign, 5 hours? 10? New worlds?

For an "MMO" destiny content has been scarce especially compared to how meaty expansions WoW gets for example. I know, different type of games but still.
I doubt the devs are lazy but they must have some management issues or the engine is truly that horrible to work with.
Forsaken was massive, bigger than Taken King

For an MMO there is more content in Destiny than most games, there is a reason New Light players are feeling overwhelmed. I suggest you actually give it a try instead of still viewing the franchise through the lens 2017.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure how it being successful in the long term changes the fact that it was disappointing at the time of release.

Once again you didn't say disappointing at time of release in your first post; you literally said its the most disappointing game this generation. Maybe try and word better next time?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Right.. and that doesn't make it the most "disappointing game this generation".
  • Was a disappointment
  • Was the most disappointing game of the generation
You're only speaking to the former while asserting the latter.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people would think D2 is disappointing (I'm among them), but D1 was absolutely superb imho. Crucible was great, Trials was great, the raids were some of the best moments this gen for me, particularly VoG and King's Fall, Nightfalls were actually thrilling due to the consequences of wiping. I can think of 100 games more disappointing this gen than D1.

On topic, that Push Square review is laughable because it doesn't even mention the raid, which by all accounts looks worth the entry fee alone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest gripe with Destiny, and why I finally fell out of love with the game by the time Forsaken came out, was that it's loot had been in a terrible position ever since TTK was released back for D1. Bungie consistently nerfed anything fun and exciting, and introduced more and more bland weaponry and armour with pointless perks.

Is that something that's still an issue?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

So an overall successful franchise with a few blunders in between doesn't really support the claim that Bungo somehow "fell off", which was the original point being argued. How exactly are we defining this vague "falling off".

Jesus christ. You didn't just move the goal posts to try and be 'right' you melted them down and erected a statue of saint 14.

Bungie has fucked up dozens of times with destiny. It is also a success with which they were lucky to fail upwards after multiple rough starts. Both things are true. Selling well doesn't magically erase their failures and invalidate criticism. The hell is wrong with some of you

Who are you again, and why are you freaking on me.

Oct 25, 2017
After the reviews and player response, I dunno if SK is even worth buying. Especially since I don't normally raid anymore. Might be better off with just the season pass or wait until a discount comes for SK + season pass. Especially since I want to play on both PC and PS4 and I would need to buy both there - although I think you only need to buy the deluxe edition/season pass once and the season pass will apply to the 2nd platform?

I'm hoping the deluxe edition will be on sale $35 or so this Fall. That's about what it is worth IMO.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all keep asking for the most silliest emotes when the "suck it" from D Generation X should be priority.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Really surprise by the lower average score. Shadowkeep was already going to be where I officially drop off the Destiny train, but a lot of the pre-release info seemed promising.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about what they did with it post-release, the launch version of Destiny was absolutely disappointing.

Also, let's be clear about what "disappointing" means. It doesn't mean they made the worst game, or a game that wasn't successful. The expectations that Bungie themselves set leading up to release, the amount of time and resources Bungie had and the expectations that set industry wide, were objectively not fulfilled.

I'm not going to argue with people who stuck with the series or came back to it years later once significant amounts of content had been added and much was changed to improve the situation, but at it's core Destiny in 2014 was profoundly disappointing.

Good thing they don't care about people holding 5 year long grudges and improve the game over time. The game was never intended to be a one and done so its launch state is borderline irrelevant

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Earlier in the year, I made a thread expressing the same concerns and potential grievances that reviewers would come to express today, and was largely shouted down as a hater that had no clue what he was talking about, as a reactionary who was judging prematurely. Looking at these reviews now, it looks like I was right about recycled content and the revisiting of the Moon as a destination being a sticking point in the critical consensus. Still deeply bewildered by the fans that got angry at other people for not wanting to revisit the same destination five years later in a $35 expansion, even if they did spruce it up a little. Lol.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So is it fair this is like on par with Rise of Iron more less from the first game? Is Bungie gonna be releasing Destiny 3 next year or are they gonna continue to make expansions?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Earlier in the year, I made a thread expressing the same concerns and potential grievances that reviewers would come to express today, and was largely shouted down as a hater that had no clue what he was talking about, as a reactionary who was judging prematurely. Looking at these reviews now, it looks like I was right about recycled content and the revisiting of the Moon as a destination being a sticking point in the critical consensus. Still deeply bewildered by the fans that got angry at other people for not wanting to revisit the same destination five years later in a $35 expansion, even if they did spruce it up a little. Lol.
That's a nice cross you have there.