• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

"Shadowkeep" will not require players to own any of the previous Destiny 2 expansions to either purchase or play the new content, which will include new missions and quests, a new location, a new dungeon, a new Raid, and new weapons and gear. The brief description of the storyline describes a new nightmare on the Moon:

New nightmares have emerged from the shadows of our Moon. Called forth by haunting visions, Eris Morn has returned. Join her to slay these nightmares before they reach out beyond the Moon to cast humanity back into an age of darkness.

Players will be able to purchase "Shadowkeep" as a separate expansion or as a bundle with the game itself. Although the pre-orders are not yet live, those who later pre-order the standard edition of the expansion will get a bonus Two-Tailed Fox Exotic Rocket Launcher and an "exclusive" Hive-themed Ornament. Those grabbing the Deluxe Pack will also get the "Digital Deluxe Set":

Digital Deluxe items include:
• Four Season Passes*, each offering a unique set of exclusive Seasonal activities, artifacts, and rewards
• Exclusive Eris Morn themed items:
  • Exotic Emote
  • Exotic Ghost Shell
  • Emblem
*Season Pass redeemed when logging in. If players already own the current Season Pass, they will receive credit toward future Seasons up until Season 11. Any credits beyond Season 11 will be exchanged for an equivalent value of Silver.

Those players who don't yet own the game can instead purchase a bundle that includes the game and the "Shadowkeep" expansion. All pre-orders of these bundles will allow immediate access to the game, "Curse of Osiris", and "Warmind", although you'll have to wait until September to gain access to "Shadowkeep". The standard edition also includes a single Season Pass that is redeemed as soon as players log into the game. The Digital Deluxe Edition also includes the "Digital Deluxe Set".

The store pages reveal the expansion is due to be released on September 17th. More details are due to be revealed today at 10AM PT, and we're expecting the pre-orders to go live immediately after the reveal — we'll update this article with links to those when that happens.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Won't require previous expansions? So does that mean I don't need to see this thread derailed by people who were never going to buy the game anyway this year? That's a first.

I praise the return of our dark queen
MessyBruisedBluejay-size_restricted.gif

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
That season pass talk sounds like Bungie don't plan to make a new game, but rather continue supporting D2 a la Warframe.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
So 4 season passes mean a pass per season up to and including season 11, with "season 12" actually being Destiny 3? Am I reading that right (with a bit of speculation tacked on at the end)?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Not requiring the previous content is pretty cool. I wonder how they'll make that work. The game seems to be at the best point it's been in right now so I can imagine this being maybe it's own isolated thing that doesn't push the meta forward?

Edit: never mind I see that preorders include the previous expansions. Still cool.

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy it if it's proper missions with actual story content like previous expansions. Zero interest in any grind annual pass stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
That season pass part is interesting, I'm dying to hear more detailed information from Bungie themselves later on today.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
All pre-orders of these bundles will allow immediate access to the game, "Curse of Osiris", and "Warmind", although you'll have to wait until September to gain access to "Shadowkeep".

Uh, and what about Forsaken? Will that not be included?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Coming out 3 or 4 days after Borderlands 3, sorry Randy, going to have to skip for now

jk, I have to play something before release

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
4 season passes?! jesus christ... i thought they would stop that nonsense and only release the expansion that would include everything up until the next one

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That season pass talk sounds like Bungie don't plan to make a new game, but rather continue supporting D2 a la Warframe.
I've written about this before, but one of the biggest causes of tension between Bungie and Activision was that on one side you had a developer that wanted to make a game as a service and on the other side you had a publisher that has risen to prominence with annualized releases. Now that Activision is out of the picture, Bungie is free to pursue its service goals without making a brand new game every 2-3 years. I'm sure they'll elaborate more on the stream today.

Same tension exists between Activision and Blizzard, btw!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If I had the original, would I be able to access it from the regular game? Having 2 icons would seem like Overkill.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've written about this before, but one of the biggest causes of tension between Bungie and Activision was that on one side you had a developer that wanted to make a game as a service and on the other side you had a publisher that has risen to prominence with annualized releases. Now that Activision is out of the picture, Bungie is free to pursue its service goals without making a brand new game every 2-3 years. I'm sure they'll elaborate more on the stream today.

Woah now this is interesting

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm it still seems very light or content on par with what we have gotten with the previous seasonal drops

Looks like this is indeed the future of Destiny?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
*Season Pass redeemed when logging in. If players already own the current Season Pass, they will receive credit toward future Seasons up until Season 11. Any credits beyond Season 11 will be exchanged for an equivalent value of Silver.

Huh...i wonder if this means that if we own the current Annual Pass we don't have to get that new seasonal one

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
So hypothetically instead of D3 we could get Bungie streamlining old (D1) and current (D2) in to a new "platform" - a Destiny Universe style thing. Allows them to really go all-out on the GAAS goals they have while ensuring old content is playable. I'd love that. Only concern I have though - and this comes from a position of complete ignorance - is whether or not their engine can support something like that. Hopefully someone who knows more about their infrastructure could speculate on the possibilities.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
"Four season passes" is a weird way to put it, assuming it's really just another annual pass split up into the various seasons they have now.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
From the look of things, Shadowkeep will be a separate thing, not requiring Forsaken.

No I get that, but that's not what the sentence I quoted says. Shadowkeep won't require Osiris and Warmind, either. This specific bundle however will seemingly include Destiny 2, Osiris, Warmind and Shadowkeep...with Forsaken weirdly missing, according to this store page?

Would be really weird if a new player just wants to buy the whole package and then finds out that, actually, one of the previous expansions isn't included.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
"Four season passes" is a weird way to put it, assuming it's really just another annual pass split up into the various seasons they have now.
Seems like you dont have to get a annual pass now. Buy a season pass for the season you want to play during.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
New dungeon... Finally. Thank you. Shattered Throne was such a great surprise and piece of content.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Well shit. There's no mention of Forsaken in the bundle, only Osiris and Warmind.

I assume I can buy all content as one but it doesn't sound like it from that preorder page

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I've still never done Shattered Throne. What was the level requirement for that again?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fascinating, the split was obviously going to change Bungie's roadmap so I assume Shadowkeep was in the cards before the split. I wonder if they will continue with D2 into fall 2020.