• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want to jump back into this, but would love to actually do a raid before Forsaken is out. Anyone on PSN want to start a group within the next week?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the room twice and still have yet to get to a DPS phase, so...... Next time I go, I'm going with 4 shadow realm pros for a clear.

I spent a good 8 hours on Calus prestige this week on just one character to get finally get the ornament for my Acrius. That wasn't my first Prestige completion either, but getting 4 random people that can handle shadow realm competently is a struggle.

Im officially over 3000 weapon parts, LOL

I'll probably hit 6000 before Forsaken and I left D2 for about 7 months. With no random rolls Gunsmith is useless once you get your Antiope and few other guns. Guess I was lucky to that and Mannannnnna so early on.

Last edited:

StefanShepard

Feb 9, 2018
I'm surprised at the dislike for Iron Banner. I played it actively for the first time these past two days and i actually had a lot of fun playing crucible in that time. Doesn't happen too often. There actually seemed to be good matchmaking, no crazy blowouts and i was consistently doing quite well. Which also doesn't happen so often^^
Maybe I just gor lucky with my experience but I will definitely play more IB in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
SJoxd5L.jpg

And with 2,000 crucible kills, this Claymore has been retired.

qphSKeY.jpg

Precision hit rate went up about 2% overall since I hit 1,000 for me so I'm around ~80% precision hits now and others have reported 85%+ precision rates. As one of the easiest pulse rifles to consistently hit precision shots with (FAR easier than GL or VW), and with the new buffs coming to precision damage, I think you guys are really going to like the Broadsword. If you've used Darkest Before, that's the kind of recoil we're talking about. Very little of consequence, even when Desperado is active.

I'm really glad they found a more natural way in terms of the overall Destiny experience to get it into the hands of more players. Hopefully the random rolls also yield some interesting options. I'd assume there will be a barrel that give more range but less stability and one that gives less range and more handling. Hopefully it will have a cooler ornament than the current Glory 5 ornament.

Seems more time consuming than anything. Only issue being you'll have to deal with sweaties for 25 matches and 5 valor resets is a bit much. Not sure if I see myself going for it, as I don't really care for Redrix.
You've tried it and didn't like it, or you just don't like medium-range pulse play styles? If the later, it is what it is. If the former, I recommend giving it a try when you get it. Most player should get it naturally sooner or later over the course of the 4 months or so just doing regular stuff. No need to grind for it, per se.

clarkatroid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On second thought it's enough. Even including double XP weekends and points changes, we're still going to be talking about 250 crucible matches completed to reset Valor 5x. With most people also doing any of the many other tasks and things in the game, it will probably take even the most dedicated players a month or so. But only because there are so many hours in the day and so many activities to split those hours between, not because this is inherently difficult.

Still, it's disappointing that it's just an endurance award rather than a success reward. Too many simple "complete x games" and not enough "WIN x games". It's a pretty low-effort and skill, high time commitment award now. Which is fine if that's what they wanted to go for but even here people are trying to figure out the lowest effort ways to do it lol.

I wonder what they have in mind to reward *skill*.

Problem is if you set win goals associated with good rewards you end up with loads of quitters at the first sniff of a loss, thus ruining the game for everyone. Participation and kill goals is Bungies way to avoid this.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Problem is if you set win goals associated with good rewards you end up with loads of quitters at the first sniff of a loss, thus ruining the game for everyone. Participation and kill goals is Bungies way to avoid this.
Very true. See: current Iron Banner.

Seems fine to me, then. Ultimately the lazy will always find the lowest effort way to do things, irrespective of how it impacts others. Because most players are fuckin dickheads.

Best of luck on your journey, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm surprised at the dislike for Iron Banner. I played it actively for the first time these past two days and i actually had a lot of fun playing crucible in that time. Doesn't happen too often. There actually seemed to be good matchmaking, no crazy blowouts and i was consistently doing quite well. Which also doesn't happen so often^^
Maybe I just gor lucky with my experience but I will definitely play more IB in the future.
Solo?

If so, lol. Keep playing. I dare you. I think I played about 75 matches this week and I'd say there were at least 2 leavers in each game in about 85% of the matches. Bitchmade players get Power Played, think they can't come back and give up, fucking over their whole team in the process. It's really gross and the frequency with which it happens speaks to the mentality of the community at large and to Bungie's failure to implement measures to discourage such quitting.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Coming back to this after some more thought about the problem you pointed out, I feel like this is just the wrong approach entirely. If Bungie wanted to reduce the frequency and casual acceptance of quitting, they would increase the consequences to quitting such that it's NOT in their best interests to quit.

People quit now without care because there is nothing for them to lose. Absolutely nothing. If people lost 2x-3x Valor/Glory points for quitting and failing to reconnect, a 5-10 minute timeout before you can queue again (extending with each voilation in a 48 hour window), and/or temporarily reduced access to PvP activities for habitual offenders, I bet these trashcans wouldn't quit nearly as much. Dota 2, League of Legends, and Overwatch all have some variation of those mechanisms. They work. Quitting is cutting off your nose to spite your face and quitting in those games is rare even when games look out of hand (and those are 20-90 minute commitments compared to D2's 5-10 minutes).

The question is whether or not Bungie wants to actually clean up PvP. But given they aren't even committed enough for dedicated servers or decent tick rates, I'll assume this shit will continue in perpetuity.

If they made any of those kinds of changes, then they could properly award winning without the concern about quitters. Until then, I guess simply completing matches (read: bare minimum participation awards) is all that can be done.

I'll again say: Bungie can and should do better.

StefanShepard

Feb 9, 2018
Dreams-Visions
Ok, yeah that sounds really frustrating and is representative of my regular experience in quick play. Iron Banner was a whole other story though as of yet. All of it in solo play. Close matches most of the time, even one or two comebacks and not many leavers. Just one match i remember where leavers were a real problem. Might have been the last match i played yesterday. Hope it doesn't start a trend.^^
Also I didn't play nearly as many matches as you so i might be singing a different tune if i get there during the weekend. But so far I can't complain. Really not looking forward going back to quick play next week.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Dreams-Visions
Ok, yeah that sounds really frustrating and is representative of my regular experience in quick play. Iron Banner was a whole other story though as of yet. All of it in solo play. Close matches most of the time, even one or two comebacks and not many leavers. Just one match i remember where leavers were a real problem. Might have been the last match i played yesterday. Hope it doesn't start a trend.^^
Also I didn't play nearly as many matches as you so i might be singing a different tune if i get there during the weekend. But so far I can't complain. Really not looking forward going back to quick play next week.
I'm glad you're having a more positive experience than I, also all soloQ (because nobody wants to play this shit in Era on PC) and won about 65% of my matches it looks like with a few 4-5 game losing streaks early on. I decided to play enough to get my platinum IB rank back in destinytracker (I was getting 20 points for a win and 90 points for a loss). Got it back and am 100% done with it now.

People tilt too fast and quit thinking being down 20-30 points is a problem in a mode that requires 150 points to win.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Finally bought a decent pair of headphones again

DkxaXCEXoAE3uah.jpg

I can hear everything in Destiny now

Was also funny that my Xbox prompted me to pay up for surround sound (they came with a code to unlock it for free) , I'm guessing Sony already paid for the Dolby stuff themselves on PS4?

I got the 800xl which also come with the Dolby atmos code.

Atmos is a licensed service so it's not free on any system. It's a good sound but only a few games currently support it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So is there just not going to be a weapon tied to competitive rank or is there going to be 1 on top of the Broadsword?

I really just want to know is the new Luna handcannon gettable, because there's pretty much zero chance I'm playing competitive enough to get that rank high.

clarkatroid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely agree with you 100%.
I used to play alot of Halo 5 arena and they had a massive quitter problem to begin with. When they introduced bans the problem was somewhat removed(although I suspect half the player base left never to return as well).

I think a 10 token penalty, if the rewards were actually good enough to give a damn, or say the removal of a random weapon from your inventory for repeat offenders would be better than the system they have now (ie none).

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, my clan and I were able to get a random team to invite me in so that we had a 6-man EP, got the wave 7 Knight boss down to a sliver of health 3 times and failed all 3 times. Sigh.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
After trying to play Iron Banner again, I can't press it enough how truly bad Skill-based matchmaking is. It is so fucking terrible in every form, and any game that has it I always drop the PvP side and this will be the same for Destiny 2 if it continues. I don't understand how people find these sweaty as fuck matches enjoyable, even when winning.

Oct 25, 2017
I maintain belief that a LOT of Destiny 2's PvP woes will be solved after Forsaken.

Maps being built for 6v6, weapon slot changes will keep the meta from staying the same, and balance changes as well SHOULD help.

As it is now? I'd rather just not play the game at all instead of touch Iron Banner.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
What a great night last night... Randoms invited me to EP, got the smg and shotgun, also final two pieces of gear to complete my Titan set. Then after, two of the guys ran me through the whisper mission since they said "everyone should have this sniper."

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
If this is for Spire I'll actually be off on Sunday (YES) and I won't be doing commissions. So can I come? :)

Clan ep bruh. I need to get you and DrROBschiz and SoS run.

DrROBschiz Toyyo Lexad Zyzomys

I don't think the rest of the fireteam are on Era, so thanks to you guys for raiding tonight and dealing with all my fuck-ups! That was nuts.

Thanks Cornbread78 for organizing

Did you guys get the kill?

Oct 27, 2017
I'll lose some content if I don't have anyone to play with right?

There are plenty of options out there to find folks to play with whether it be joining a clan or LFG sites but I can't recommend The 100 enough especially when you find a group of like-minded players (there are plenty of search options to help with this) who are active players.

Speaking of clans, I'm not sure folks knew it or not but if you aren't in a clan, just left a clan, not sure which one you want to join, etc you can create your own clan and even with just yourself in it you can earn the Clan XP engram each week. With the clan xp changes I'm not quite sure how this will work in Forsaken but it's at least a temporary (or longer) solution for some.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Clan ep bruh. I need to get you and DrROBschiz and SoS run.

Did you guys get the kill?

I was only able to take them to the second encounter and had Legend take my spot. Im hoping they at least got the experience they needed to clear dogs

We definitely smoked Pools. Dogs is interesting to teach. I forgot how tricky it is at first. You forget how easy that encounter is once you know it and get reminded quickly after you have to teach it fresh

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They said they are making the climb easier between ranks. Its not going to be like it is now

Yeah thats not really the main issue really

The harder part is the time split over that 3 months. Forsaken has a LOT more to do now. All activities have been reworked and they have added several more to the rotations. Between everything you may WANT to pursue there are gonna have to be some meaningful decision making on where to place your time especially if your game time is more limited than others

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah thats not really the main issue really

The harder part is the time split over that 3 months. Forsaken has a LOT more to do now. All activities have been reworked and they have added several more to the rotations. Between everything you may WANT to pursue there are gonna have to be some meaningful decision making on where to place your time especially if your game time is more limited than others

I dont think there is an issue. It still subscribes to the "sorry u cant get everything" which I'm a fan of

People buggin over Claymore/Broadsword when I've only played a grand total of 6? Trials matches, plenty I dont have there

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think there is an issue. It still subscribes to the "sorry u cant get everything" which I'm a fan of

People buggin over Claymore/Broadsword when I've only played a grand total of 6? Trials matches, plenty I dont have there

Oh I agree

The only people that will "get everything" will be those with mountains of time or play this for work

Im totally ok with that and enjoy having goals to pick and choose from. Beats the old setup where even with my casual play i ran out of reasons to log in.

I guess... they had a somewhat of a point with that approach but I also ended being very disappointed wirh Vanilla D2 simplicity extending to damn near every aspect of the game including the thing thats most important to me

Meaningful perks, modifiers, customization, power, unique rewards, themed rewards. Vanilla D2 was a good game to finish and walk away from but they gutted way too much in service of making a simple one and done experience

In contrast I am very excited for what we got with Warmind and now Forsaken. I can ensure that any session i put in will have something meaningful to do

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
There's been talk about Crucible here lately and I've had some thoughts on some of the general points brought up. Even with Crucible sounding like it'll be plenty more fun in year 2, it has a lot of foundational issues if you'd actually want to take it seriously. Between the balance (and lack of), visual clarity being a problem (having two different teams with characters of arbitrary colours for one), the lack of any proper training mode along with randomness in the variables possible when engaging a possible opponent (this player takes three headshots to kill, this other one takes four, with no way of knowing beforehand), the P2P nature of the netcode and poor tick rate and so on, it's just there as more of a novelty if you like the chaos but trying to take it competitively is madness.

Making significant rewards tied to such a mode only makes it rife for abuse and generally making your players miserable, and tends to make little sense. So you've proven to be the top of the playerbase, here, have another advantage over everyone with some weapon designed to give you more of an edge even though you've shown you clearly don't need it. To that end it would be better to have ornaments and emblems for the more exclusive rewards. Granted Jeff Kaplan of Overwatch expresses regret over tying the gold weapon cosmetics to ranked in that game, but given the looty nature of Destiny it's less of a concern here I'd think. Destiny PVP is better suited to gearing towards being something less committal and more pick up and play fun rather than being something sweaty, though that's not to imply the latter can't be fun, Destiny just has a lot of hurdles in place to having that properly work at the moment.

"To put limits on your light is to stifle your potential. The Crucible is not enough, embrace the Iron Banner." Saladin's great. I adore his cheeky (and sometimes homoerotic) comments towards Shaxx. I ship it. Awoo!

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Is the only way to get above 340 in Light to do Raids? I've seemed to have plateaued. Also, is there any room in the PC clan? :(

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
After trying to play Iron Banner again, I can't press it enough how truly bad Skill-based matchmaking is. It is so fucking terrible in every form, and any game that has it I always drop the PvP side and this will be the same for Destiny 2 if it continues. I don't understand how people find these sweaty as fuck matches enjoyable, even when winning.
what left you with the impression that there is any skill-based matchmaking going on in Iron Banner? lol

People are sweaty in Iron Banner because Iron Banner itself is now sweaty, by design. You can't sit somewhere and camp in IB because those zones get locked out fast if you're not constantly pushing a zone to secure it. We're talking 8-12 zone caps per match on average if you're trying to win + all the kills that have to happen along the way.

That means people are constantly moving and rushing. That means the appearance of *sweat* (that is, lack of passive play) in these matches. It's not the matchmaking skill levels, fam. It's the way the mode has to be played if you want to win.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
what left you with the impression that there is any skill-based matchmaking going on in Iron Banner? lol

People are sweaty in Iron Banner because Iron Banner itself is now sweaty, by design. You can't sit somewhere and camp in IB because those zones get locked out fast if you're not constantly pushing a zone to secure it. We're talking 8-12 zone caps per match on average if you're trying to win + all the kills that have to happen along the way.

That means people are constantly moving and rushing. That means the appearance of *sweat* (that is, lack of passive play) in these matches. It's not the matchmaking skill levels, fam. It's the way the mode has to be played if you want to win.
Yeah, maybe I'm mistaking SBMM for how the new Power Play mechanic works, that could be it. But it seems I'm matching with way more teams full of clans who're just stomping hard, but again that could be the new PP mechanic as you said lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, maybe I'm mistaking SBMM for how the new Power Play mechanic works, that could be it. But it seems I'm matching with way more teams full of clans who're just stomping hard, but again that could be the new PP mechanic as you said lol
oh yea. I think one thing I realized early on is that there are LOTS of stacks and the game doesn't give a single fuck about you if you're solo.

I did roughly 75 games solo. I'd say the game tried to match me against a 5 or 6-stack in 50% of those matches. I dodged 90% of them if I noticed it before the matches started. With the increased importance of not getting 3-capped, the advantage that large groups playing together have over 6 randoms is not insignificant. Most of the matches where I was stuck solo against 5 or 6 went poorly. A few wins (a couple of stomps, in fact), but most were ugly losses with people just not understanding the mode or how important capping is (people literally running past capture points as if they didn't even know the more people standing on a point, the faster it caps...or getting 1-2 caps all game while posting < 0.3 KDs). Teams full of randoms are also more likely to have a quitter or two, where the 6-stack...I mean it's a 6-stack. Just a lot of disadvantages for teams going up against stacks. I focused on playing against stacks of 3 players or less (which I felt was a more fair configuration) and won about 70% of those matches.

It's just the pits, honestly. I cannot recommend anyone deal with this iteration of IB solo. At least not on PC. Unless you're an elite player and don't mind.

That being said, if you DO have a 4+ stack to play with, you'll have a very good time, I suspect. It's fun locking all 3 points and going hunting (it really is) and you feel like a badass running players down as they cower for the next 10-15 seconds. That experience considerably easier and more consistent with 4+ reliable and competent people. It's a roll of the dice as a solo player. Maybe you'll get some decent players. More likely you'll get the level 7 guy who did just enough of the story to get to The Farm before deciding, "hey, it's time to try some PvP with these green weapons and armor!"