• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You think people here are being vocal in defending Anthems move in banning this guy then you really shouldn't check out the unofficial Reddit sub...the hivemind mentality is real folks and I just don't understand it either. Why are people defending incompetent developers? Is it some sort of sympathy/victim complex?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people defending exploiting in an online multiplayer game is interesting. I guess it's because Destiny let people exploit that it sets some sort of precedent? For anyone who's played mmos, exploiting pretty much always result in bans, if the scale of the exploit is impactful enough(which is very subjective). Mind you I wouldn't say Destiny/Anthem are true mmos, so I can see them having different rules, but I wouldn't be surprised to see bans for pve exploits in an online game, even if it's not competitive.

If you find an exploit in WoW and consistently use it, you're getting banned. But it didn't even start with Blizzard and WoW. I got banned from UO back in the early mmo days for duping. My secondary account got banned in AC for duping. I didn't play EQ enough but I remember some people talking about getting banned for killing raid stuff in weird ways. FFXI had bans for various exploits. More recently, GW2 banned a bunch of people for exploiting vendor resale value at launch and FFXIV banned people using the Ungarmax exploit.

Those all effect the game's economies, all of those games listed actually have economies that could be effected by said exploits.

And specifically to the Ungarmax bug in FFXIV, because I remember the day it happened

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/360390-Squadron-limit-break-(Ungarmax)-can-be-used-in-regular-duties-by-any-job?p=4611113#post4611113

MUCH different than the situation here. And they weren't even bans, people that even used it in the Ultimate tier raids got suspensions rather than bans, according to their emails that they showed.

Last edited:

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finding the most efficient way to farm isn't exploiting it's playing the game. If your game was designed badly don't take it out on the customer that paid $60.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
- create game where loot farming is a core pillar
- ban player for farming loot

rpJO2uq.gif

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm fine with devs banning players who use exploits. It's their game. If it ruins the spirit of the game or crosses a line in the eyes of the Devs then that's on the player.

Now it's it's just a way of playing the Devs didn't think of and doesn't actually use any glitches or bugs then the Devs can fuck off. That's on them. Not the player.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with devs banning players who use exploits. It's their game. If it ruins the spirit of the game or crosses a line in the eyes of the Devs then that's on the player.

Now it's it's just a way of playing the Devs didn't think of and doesn't actually use any glitches or bugs then the Devs can fuck off. That's on them. Not the player.

He didn't even use a bug or a glitch though. He was banned because the devs set a drop percentage on a loot table slightly too high.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Can you imagine for a moment how bad playing this normally is when the exploit method isn't giving anything either?
That's my experience, I got most of my legendaries when Bioware themselves fucked up the loot drop rate for 11 hours when I quickplayed with some randoms on discord for like 6 hours straight. ( didn't even know it was bugged until the next day and it all made sense!)

Why not just fix the exploit?

giphy.gif

I don't think they know how as a lot of these have or were around since "Alpha" and have been reported.
One of them they couldn't and have not yet fixed and the only way they knew how was to make whatever the item did, do 0%.

Bioware have fundamentally misunderstood the genre from design and mechanics and what the fuck "carrot on a stick" is.
You are supposed to shower your customers in loot, make them feel powerful.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what we all feared when games started going always online (remember Diablo 3?), you're at the whim of asshole developers that can lock you out of their game whenever you want. You accept the tos and you're fucked basically.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
FTFY

Like, read the thread. We've already had this discussion. The kind of farming Gladd was banned for - either world chest farming or boss farming - is a genre convention. It's something players do in these games. You can say that's stupid or boring, but it's 100% what the most hardcore players expect to do in these games if the designers leave that door open.
I did read. Look your problem is not with me. I dont care if its right or wrong. The people who care are EA. They said it's a violation. Guess what? You can kick and scream all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that this dude violated the terms.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just fix the exploit?
Do you think we'd be in this whole situation if BioWare's "A-team" were in some way competent devs?

Anyway, back to the topic. I think the reason gladd got banned but not the thousands of other players who did this is because he was probably on a streamer code BioWare gifted while the other people are on paid copies / origin access subs. BioWare might be technically correct as far as their TOS goes (who fucking cares) this is still a bad look for a game with a ton of bad PR right now.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I did read. Look your problem is not with me. I dont care if its right or wrong. The people who care are EA. They said it's a violation. Guess what? You can kick and scream all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that this dude violated the terms.

Chest farming is pretty 101 in these games, how are you supposed to know it'a a violation?

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
That's the thing, Bioware's email don't detail why they got banned so the people that get banned have to guess. Streamerhouse was like this, then they started questioning everything so the won't get banned again. "Maybe if I use this dash to reload mod I'll get banned, because it's not only reloading my weapon, it's giving me ammo out of thin air."
If we're guessing, then we're taking this dude at his word. Who's to say he's not bullshitting? Look, anytime someone on the internet gets into a problem like this they take to forums/blogs/YouTube etc to claim innocence. 9 times out of 10 its always half the truth they're claiming. We only hear their side. Happens on this forum frequently. "I got banned for nothing..." "my account was hacked..." "I blocked the sale my account was closed..."
Etc.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is one if the reasons i hope to hell and back that borderlands 3 remains its own thing and is structured like it was in 2.

I want an experience that is entirely mine that i can also share with friends if i want to.

I dont want to be forced to do multiplayer if i dont want to. I dont want to be firced to do dumb shitty farming because of some arbitrary gateways meant to slow down multiplayer progression so they can try and sell me crap.

And i sure as hell dont want to be banned from my 60 dollar pve game because i accumulated too many bullets!

Could you imagine losing access to borderlands 2 because you got too many of those special loot keys?

Fuck right off with that garbage.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people defending exploiting in an online multiplayer game is interesting. I guess it's because Destiny let people exploit that it sets some sort of precedent? For anyone who's played mmos, exploiting pretty much always result in bans, if the scale of the exploit is impactful enough(which is very subjective). Mind you I wouldn't say Destiny/Anthem are true mmos, so I can see them having different rules, but I wouldn't be surprised to see bans for pve exploits in an online game, even if it's not competitive.

If you find an exploit in WoW and consistently use it, you're getting banned. But it didn't even start with Blizzard and WoW. I got banned from UO back in the early mmo days for duping. My secondary account got banned in AC for duping. I didn't play EQ enough but I remember some people talking about getting banned for killing raid stuff in weird ways. FFXI had bans for various exploits. More recently, GW2 banned a bunch of people for exploiting vendor resale value at launch and FFXIV banned people using the Ungarmax exploit.

Dude, there is literally no impact. There is no economy, no trading, no pvp. It effects zero other people.

And people can quit comparing Anthem to MMOs, it's barely a looter shooter.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
If you don't want your players to enjoy the game that way, just fix it? The idea of banning someone who maybe paid $60 for this is absurd.
Not sure if you are misunderstanding me. My reply was to someone that couldnt understand the joy in finding ways to exploit a game.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't care you wouldn't be here, no one needs to be told for the millionth time that "it's the TOS". Going into a thread telling people to just deal with it isn't "not caring", you're siding with the notion that they can ban for whatever the hell they want as long as it's in the TOS and people cannot get mad over it because it's written down, no matter how dumb it is. That's goddamn stupid.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Everyone in this thread defending dude keeps saying "read the thread! You didnt watch the video" etc.

The dude in the videos defense is:
- I promoted the game
- everyone does it
- bungie allows it
- I'm a good person
- its farming

The problem is:
- he never details what he did, so dont say "you didnt watch the vid".
- this game is not made by bungie.
- ea doesn't want guys "exploiting the game over and over for days on end getting the best gear" like he did in destiny.
- being a good person is not a defense.
- he's purposely interchanging the words farming and exploiting. This is not farming as I know it. He's not waiting for items to respawn, he's forcing them too.

Please, dont claim I didnt watch or read the information given.

Nov 14, 2017
It'd be wild if Bungie banned for stuff like that.

For example, in D1 you could enter an area 'segment'(Where the name pops up) in order to mass farm resources while they were still 'up'. The loot cave. Man, such a mess.
I think that's technically still in the game, and probably very hard for them to ever stop you doing because of how Destiny works. As it is they've mostly just moved those objects away from loading transitions to make it harder to do it effectively, and also put a global rate limit on how many chests you can open in a certain period of time. Still no bans tho.
I don't understand the point of these games? It's just to get the best equipment? Is there any other actual goal? Like I get there is a story but the main point is to find stuff over and over again? I've never played a loot game.
Well, the main problem in Anthem is that there's no point to the farming. In Destiny and The Division there are pinnacle activities like raids or the Dark Zone / incursions (and also now raids in Division 2) where you get to really make use of your good gear. Even Diablo 3 has high end greater rifts which let you test how far you can push your build. But you're right that a loot game without anything to use the loot on is pretty pointless at the end of the day.

But yea, the main point of general farming in loot games is just to get as much loot as possible in the shortest time, because at end-game 90%+ of it will be trash.

In his YouTube video he's acting as if he hasn't done anything wrong and even states he "didn't benefit" from his actions yet clearly in the clip I posted they are using the ultimate glitch and they are talking about using a quit/launch glitch as well while many many rares are littered about.

Also quoting from the YouTube comment section:

"The chest farm wasn't even an exploit. What you exploited was the ursix mission in which you would kill an ursix with your bugged storm ults and then die and rekill the ursix. You also did the tyrant mine boss reset exploit in which you kill the boss and exit the game and kill it over and over. You clearly don't mention these,"

So yeah. "Not sure why I was banned" guy knows exactly why he was banned. He broke the ToS and promoted these ToS breaking exploits as he says to 50,000 viewers. They're not legit farming methods, they are exploits. The game isn't intended to be played that way. I'm all for efficiency, finding the fastest way to get the best loot or whatever but let's all be honest about what actually happened here.

I don't even see the Ursix farm as a glitch. If you stick an enemy that's guaranteed to drop loot just after a checkpoint, how can you ban players for farming it? Also, again, storm ult glitch did no harm to other players.

Traditional MMOs have economies, so farming glitches affect other players. Schlooters don't have any player trading economy, so farming doesn't impact anyone else.

Imagine if it was for a completely different reason than exploit farming, people defending the ban will look like idiots in the hindsight.
If we're guessing, then we're taking this dude at his word. Who's to say he's not bullshitting? Look, anytime someone on the internet gets into a problem like this they take to forums/blogs/YouTube etc to claim innocence. 9 times out of 10 its always half the truth they're claiming. We only hear their side. Happens on this forum frequently. "I got banned for nothing..." "my account was hacked..." "I blocked the sale my account was closed..."
Etc.
Gladd is a respected Destiny streamer with multiple world first raid completions with his team. He's not just some random dude on the internet. At this point it's fair to take him at his word that he did all the things he admitted doing.

So, I think this is the core of the pro-ban argument, and it's bullshit. It's basically an appeal to the law; it's super lazy; and it's basically a way for you to take a position without having to do the work of thinking if something is actually right or wrong.

So, of course EA has the authority to ban people from playing their game. That's not at question. The question is whether they should ban in this circumstance. When you have a respected Destiny streamer getting banned for playing exactly how he'd play in Destiny; and when you have multiple posters from the Era Destiny OT here ITT all posting that this is bullshit, then it's clear EA is not meeting community expectations.

The way the most committed players engage with schlooters is basically by trying to break them. Players want as many loot rolls as possible in the shortest period of time, and will break the game in order to do that. It's why Destiny turned me into a speed runner; now even in other games I'm constantly thinking about whether I need to do something, or if I can just run past. My first instinct is now always just to run past everything in every game, and only stop and shoot if a game blocks me. Destiny did that to me.

So, there is a specific way that the schlooter genre, by its very nature, trains players to interact with the game. If EA want to serve this market, they need to understand player expectation engage with it on that basis.

So, does EA have the right to ban? Sure. But they are stupid if they do.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what the more business-y reason for the ban would have been on Bioware's end. Too much reward for insufficient engagement? Less engagement with the feedback loop Bioware intended = less exposure to potentially buying more microtransactions.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they banned him due to his large audience and the fact that he's sharing these exploits and farm routes with them. If you're farming and earning top tier loot efficiently, then you're not buying their lame micro transactions. Gotta feed papaEA to avoid being thrown in the death pit, right?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they banned him due to his large audience and the fact that he's sharing these exploits and farm routes with them. If you're farming and earning top tier loot efficiently, then you're not buying their lame micro transactions. Gotta feed papaEA to avoid being thrown in the death pit, right?

I think anyone who doesn't think BioWare is already destined for the pit at this point is massively deluding themselves.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in this thread defending dude keeps saying "read the thread! You didnt watch the video" etc.

- I promoted the game
- everyone does it
- bungie allows it
- I'm a good person
- its farming

The problem is:
- ea doesn't want guys "exploiting the game over and over for days on end getting the best gear" like he did in destiny.
- he's purposely interchanging the words farming and exploiting. This is not farming as I know it. He's not waiting for items to respawn, he's forcing them too.

We know fucking why. He explains the exploit and respawning. If Bioware wants to ban people for something that they allowed to happen we can criticize them for it and say they are completely in the wrong. Anthem is nothing but a string of bad press and them being stringent on this kind of shit is a bad look when their competition looks like they are running circles around them in comparison.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
We're seeing new ground of corporate apologism, basically in uncharted territory now, how far can we go? Is ther even a limit anymore? Can people actually find fun in exploiting a game or is that a thought beyond my brain's line of sight? 🤔
Ive seen this year finally in real life how people being directly fucked have still been apolegetic of the people (the director of an academy) that are fucking them. They know they are being fucked, and they heard stories of people before being fucked, but they dont want to join with people clearly seeing all the shit going down and doing something about it because:
"Yeah, he is doing wrong things but lets wait and see, maybe he is doing them becuase he has no other choice"
"Well, Ive heard a 100 people talkind bad about this guy, but he talks sweet and professionaly to me when Im with him, those hundred people are probably wrong"

So I believe all the idiocy I see on forums defending companies now.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Also as an aside, is there any big Anthem streamer that isn't also a Destiny streamer? The cross over seems huge.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Also as an aside, is there any big Anthem streamer that isn't also a Destiny streamer? The cross over seems huge.

It's likely more just hedging their bets on being at the ground floor of the next big thing.

There's somewhat of a crossover in terms of game design/appeal, so the major streamers temporarily jump ship to see if it'll catch on and they can be on top.

If it works, they start out as the top dogs on the new hotness.

If not, just fall back to Destiny.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to me like as if Bungie perma banned Datto and Gothalion in the beginning of D1 because they were doing the original loot cave exploit in September 2014. Would have been a bad move back then, still a bad move on a developer today. xGladd says he is talking to the developers on his stream and that they are being super cool so we will see what happens next....

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

- I promoted the game
- everyone does it
- bungie allows it
- I'm a good person
- its farming

The problem is:

Forcing something to appear in a game seems to be a wrong action. Farming would be if he just followed an optimal path but if he does something to make it pop out of turn and consistently, that would raise a flag. Plus if he is performing other glitches over and over, doesn't seem right.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I think the last few years, especially with Destiny and Diablo, have shown that irate player feedback can be incorporated to an extent by open-minded developers.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- I promoted the game
- everyone does it
- bungie allows it
- I'm a good person
- its farming

The problem is:

Who cares about the problem part? It really does not matter to anyone anyone. Banning someone out of a product they brought over something as minor as exploit is disgusting

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Videogames have become really weird in that regard, it's like they let you play as long as you play the way they intended the game to be designed... not how it is
actually designed.

"Don't use the shotgun with this boss!"

'But it's in the game? I'm gonna use it anyway!'

"No you wont, banned!"

You are all in for a tread once streaming as taken over, shit will become laughable!

jml

Mar 9, 2018
"But he broke the terms of service" is the weakest defense of this lol. If exploiting a glitch like this breaks the terms of service in a PvE only game with no leaderboards then the TOS itself is trash.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, like the Fallout guy, he was using an exploit aka cheating in an online game and caught a ban? Sucks but maybe dont use exploits in an online game? You know its wrong, just dont do it. Is that really that hard?

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Forcing something to appear in a game seems to be a wrong action. Farming would be if he just followed an optimal path but if he does something to make it pop out of turn and consistently, that would raise a flag. Plus if he is performing other glitches over and over, doesn't seem right.
Thank you. You make sense.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
"But he broke the terms of service" is the weakest defense of this lol. If exploiting a glitch like this breaks the terms of service in a PvE only game with no leaderboards then the TOS itself is trash.
It's the best defense. Lol. Whether I agree with it or not.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yup gonna side with Gladd on this one

Fix your game don't punish a player for breaking it. He wasnt negatively impacting other players or their infrastructure

If anything he shines a light on various issues that need to be addressed not to mention the change to the gameplay loop that takes away the incentive to do this

Just a bad move all around.