• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
From the weekly update:

"On December 8, Destiny 2 and its expansions (Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light) will leave Xbox Game Pass on console and cloud. Destiny 2 and current expansions will remain on Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Once Destiny 2 leaves Xbox Game Pass, players who don't own any of the expansions on the Xbox platform will lose access to:
  • Campaign missions.
  • Expansion-specific activities: Raids, Dungeons, Hunts, Exo Challenges, Nightfall Strikes, and access to Trials of Osiris
  • The Stasis subclass, which is Beyond Light-specific.
  • The middle-tree Supers for each subclass.
  • The 10% off perk for Silver purchases and other game add-ons.

Items, such as Exotics, already acquired will still be available for players who earned them. Previously purchased Season Passes will remain active. Players who wish to continue playing Destiny 2 on Xbox should look for Destiny 2 expansion discounts that will be available soon.

As a reminder, The Witch Queen will not be available on Console or PC Xbox GamePass when it launches on February 22, 2022."

This seems like a big loss for both Gamepass and for Bungie. Not sure why they wouldnt keep it on there to get more people to buy Witch Queen. Very odd.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Wasn't Game Pass going to be a destination for Destiny 2 and its upcoming content longterm? I thought there was a big announcement last year

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Probably on PC for contractual reasons. As for why it is being removed, multiple reasons. Top reasons I think they might be leaving the service.
1. Bungie may not find working out well
2. MS may not find it is performing well.

Oct 30, 2017
I know this was announced prior to the Infinite MP dropping, but I think MS believes Infinite will steal a large portion of the Destiny crowd for the foreseeable future so they may have just decided to save some cash and let it go from GP.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So this is a thing, but not that BIG of a thing.
On December 7th Forsaken goes F2P. You'll be missing Shadowkeep and Beyond Light.
Still weird, but not huge.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
TBF, most of the "good" or at least important moment-to-moment content is in the seasons now rather than the actual expansions and you don't need to own a particular expansion to play a season. At most you'd need to own BL to get the Stasis subclasses, but the seasonal content (which isn't included with GP) is the better, more meaningful purchase.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I don't understand why this is happening.

This definitely is not the case. It is constantly in the top 15 most played games on Xbox, usually top 10.
I meant that game pass members aren't really playing it, or playing the expansions through the service. But games leave the service all the time as well as added

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They want people to buy Witch Queen so not surprising. I'm sure it'll return to Game Pass next Fall or something.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I meant that game pass members aren't really playing it, or playing the expansions through the service. But games leave the service all the time as well as added
It is always in the most popular section on Game Pass. Don't think I've ever seen it leave once. This is more likely wanting people to spend on Witch Queen or the deal is just ending and they decided not to renew.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really sucks they are keeping subclasses being useable locked behind owning the expansions, they should just act like weapons and armor, once you get them you are good, would make cross-progression just a lot smoother for the casual stuff, as pretty much no way I'm buying Beyond Light on multiple platforms just for Stasis, it was nice flipping between PS and Xbox the past couple months.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This definitely is not the case. It is constantly in the top 15 most played games on Xbox, usually top 10.

Would need to know how many of those players are GamePass, and what the GamePass players were spending on it.

Thing about a game like Destiny 2 is it tends to just eat people's time up; it's one of the only games they play. So people who get really into it probably don't find paying $15 a month for it to make sense, when all the yearly expansions are less than that.

Also have no idea if this is even a choice for MS.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah with this I'm probably out until Witch Queen. I finished this seasons BP like a month ago. Don't think I want to even bother with the 30th pack. I'm just not going to spend that type of money to now to get back the expansion and the pack with Halo, Horizon 5, etc out. I have way too much other things to play.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Game Pass never really recovered from Outer Wilds being removed, and now this?
It felt like a HUGE miss that Outer Wilds was off Game Pass when Echoes of the Eye released.

Like, I was down to pay $20 for Echoes of the Eye but couldn't stomach $45 for the full game plus the expansion, given I'd already finished the base game. And I think there must be a LOT of people in the same position.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Probably on PC for contractual reasons. As for why it is being removed, multiple reasons. Top reasons I think they might be leaving the service.
1. Bungie may not find working out well
2. MS may not find it is performing well.

it's still on PC because destiny 2 been on console for over a year already, while PC just got it in October, one month ago. I suspect PC will also have destiny 2 (everything up to beyond light) for a year before it leaves the service, a similar timeframe as console

elproducto

Oct 31, 2017
Because I'm easily confused, if I purchased the Beyond Light expansion despite having the Gamepass version will I be ok? I did that because I wanted the seasons as well.

I already own D2 on multiple platforms, I don't want to buy it again.

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
No issue, because Halo Infinite's PvP is fun and pleasing to play in much the same way that Destiny's PvP is infuriating, if that makes any sense. Crucible is simply not fun.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
The base game is free to play.

I think this game going to be the norm with subscription services and third party content.

The game has crossplay now so I notice its always mash up with players from other platforms.
Destiny 2 is so confusing to me. Everytime I have tried it recently I have no clue what the fuck is going on or what to do. 😆

I am glad the new Halo is so simple and dumped down for my old self.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Destiny 1 a decent amount. I don't know..I am just overwhelmed with everything.
As someone with uh...158 hours in Destiny 2 (But has since dropped it)

Don't bother. Bungie has made it clear they have no interest in getting new players, but instead want to milk the current fanbase with microtransactions, battlepasses, and expansions.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As someone with uh...158 hours in Destiny 2 (But has since dropped it)

Don't bother. Bungie has made it clear they have no interest in getting new players, but instead want to milk the current fanbase with microtransactions, battlepasses, and expansions.

Agreed. Destiny 2 is super newbie unfriendly, as someone who played all the campaigns through Shadowkeep.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Because I'm easily confused, if I purchased the Beyond Light expansion despite having the Gamepass version will I be ok? I did that because I wanted the seasons as well.

I already own D2 on multiple platforms, I don't want to buy it again.
You'd just be missing Shadowkeep stuff, which is basically just the Garden of Salvation raid and Pit of Heresy dungeon at this point. Forsaken will be F2P by then and owning Beyond Light means you are good with that stuff (Stasis, it's Raid, Exo challenge and Empire Hunts).

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Feels like you need a postdoc degree to keep track of what Destiny 2 content is available and where. Every time I read about the way this game handles access to its content my eyes glaze over.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see it go, more room for other big titles.

Besides, it's "F2P"-ish anyways, no lose.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Destiny "remastered" is on the way for Series/PS5 and they can sell it seperately instead of sticking with Gamepass.
Destiny is already enhanced for PS5/Series.

I also doubt they will ever renew it, but they probably will give perks for destiny 2 in the future while the f2p version is on gamepass continually. This was surprisingly very short lived on PC though.
It isn't leaving PC Game Pass on the 8th of December.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt this has anything to do with why it's leaving Game Pass, but the consistent decisions by Bungie to remove paid expansion content makes Destiny a pretty hostile platform for players. I know the game is still super popular, but I wouldn't want that kind of offering tied to my platform if it wasn't necessary.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I also doubt they will ever renew it, but they probably will give perks for destiny 2 in the future while the f2p version is on gamepass continually. This was surprisingly very short lived on PC though.

How many games have been renewed or shown back up later? I would think the large majority of the games are one time deals and when they are gone, they are generally gone?

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
And there goes my ability to play Destiny. The only free time I have during the week is the 2 hours a day I spend on the bus to get to and from work and I've been using that time to play Destiny on my phone. With Destiny leaving Game Pass Cloud that means no more Destiny on the way to work. Thank god Halo Infinite is launching.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
How many games have been renewed or shown back up later? I would think the large majority of the games are one time deals and when they are gone, they are generally gone?
I remember GTA V and The Division, they left the service, came back, and then left again. Also My Friend Pedro is joining Game Pass soon and I'm pretty sure it's been on the service before, I may be wrong on that.