• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would Destiny have been better off with

• No. What's wrong with you?

Votes: 1,177 92.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 115 9.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Going from mini dlc and great expansions to season passes and recycled ones, yeah I liked Destiny better under Activision's watch. The MT are worse now then they were with Activision as well.

Hope what ever Activision is working on now to replace destiny is good because I quit playing destiny.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
With the overabundance of themed cosmetics in Eververse, lack of Vendor Refresh, and reskinned cosmetics that are earn-able from activities, it shows that Bungie lacks the the vision and drive to make Destiny the best where it can be. The fact they refresh Eververse on a seaonal basis far far more than vendor refresh is rather telling

But most importantly, did anyone really ask for Armor 2.0? Did anyone honestly thought to themselves "Man, it would be great if I can get the same armor with different elemental affinities with frivolous stats and enhance them with mods" and thought it would make the game better?

Far as I'm concerned, most of the problems that Destiny as a whole has are on Bungie and its only gonna get worse from here on out.
You don't really need a vendor refresh....stuff from vendors is usually always broken down for shards or Infusion. It's only ever useful on your way to level up.

Between all the guns we got from the raid, vex offensive, the crafting table and hive public event, we got a nice influx of weapons.

Armor 2.0 can be fixed by removing the elemental affinity. It's probably being done for resource display reasons because our systems are old.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Going from mini dlc and great expansions to season passes and recycled ones, yeah I liked Destiny better under Activision's watch. The MT are worse now then they were with Activision as well.

Hope what ever Activision is working on now to replace destiny is good because I quit playing destiny.
We get more content through the season pass than we have ever gotten through the dlc model.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The money-grubbing publisher that shoved a kart raching game full of microtransactions would definitely do a better job of managing Destiny!

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We get more content through the season pass than we have ever gotten through the dlc model.

we get a new mode every season but we get no new campaign stuff or strikes, thats the stuff I like in destiny. I'd rather have those few missions and a hand full of strikes then something like the forges. Only great one so far was the menagerie.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Destiny 2 is in a decent state right now.

My frustrations with the game are:

no vendor refresh.

the fact that they insist on creating these variations of horde mode. Vex Offensive is pretty bad. The game needs more content like strikes, the dungeons and Whisper mission, although I understand those take much longer to craft.

I also understand the need for Eververse, Bungie needs to make money, but so much of the cool stuff is there. I'm also not happy with the bright dust economy.

there is so much content in D1 that could be brought forward, not the activities per se, but weaponsarmor and some weapon perks just to refresh things a bit. I get that people want new stuff but seeing as those take longer to craft, why did they not bring forward the Vault of Glass weapons with this season of the Vex stuff? They could have made them rare drops from Vex invasions or something. Those weapon models were so cool, in fact, I thinkI still prefer majority of weapon and armor models from D1. Bring some of those D1 weapons forward like Palindrome etc as vendor refreshers

I hate how 9/10 the exotic slot is reserved for a heavy weapon. Kinetic and Energy exotics are pretty meh. They need to the Darci as well as move Swords to the energy slot.

if they did some of these things the game would improve a lot.
Seriously? After all the reskin reskin reskin accusations you want them to bring back D1?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
we get a new mode every season but we get no new campaign stuff or strikes, thats the stuff I like in destiny. I'd rather have those few missions and a hand full of strikes then something like the forges. Only great one so far was the menagerie.
This season we got

-vex invasion on the moon
-vex offensive
-dungeon
-hive public event
-vex final assault in the coming weeks...leading into the next season.

Osiris was horrible, the strikes that came with it sucked. Warmind was better but what's the point of it just leaves Ana Bray on Mars never to be heard from again?

New way of doing things is liked more by the community.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This season we got

-vex offensive
-dungeon
-hive public event

Osiris was horrible, the strikes that came with it sucked. Warmind was better but what's the point of it just leaves Ana Bray on Mars never to be heard from again?

The Dungeon is Shadowkeep only, you don't get it if you just have the season.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
They said they are looking into the eververse swinging to far right and I trust them to figure it out. at least if things go well they can balance everserve. if they was under activision and eversevere was successful we would get nothing but seasons of eververse and the back lash would just be ignored because bobbykoticluaghs.gif

More importantly activision deserves nothing, I would gladly support any developer that isn't tied to a conglomerate. developers like bioware, respawn and bungie joining publishers was so disheartening.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ehhh if you're serious about destiny and it's your main game, you probably have shadowkeep.
The talk was about seasons though and how they are the new way of delivering content.
Next season we won't have a Shadowkeep to add other content on top of the pile so only the season content will be there and it still needs to impress and keep players playing.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I really dislike Bungie going hard on the poor developers angle, acting like the microstransactions need to be in the game to support it and that new content is created by selling overpriced cosmetics that should be in game rewards.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This season we got

-vex offensive
-dungeon
-hive public event

We also got a paid expansion made up almost entirely of recycled missions from D1, a reused location. Coming from forsaken under activision...

Glad people like destiny now, used to be my favorite game of the gen. Just got sick of buying recycled content. The stuff I liked to play in destiny is being ignored for horde modes and public events masked as there own modes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We also got a paid expansion made up almost entirely of recycled missions from D1, a reused location. Coming from forsaken under activision...

Glad people like destiny now, used to be my favorite game of the gen. Just got sick of buying recycled content. The stuff I liked to play in destiny is being ignored for horde modes and public events masked as there own modes.
I don't see it and dismiss it as recycled content. There was nothing better than going to a area with friends and instantly having memories of the hours we spent there. Story wise it makes sense to go there. Plus why would we ignore the closest threat to earth?

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't see it and dismiss it as recycled content. There was nothing better than going to a area with friends and instantly having memories of the hours we spent there. Story wise it makes sense to go there. Plus why would we ignore the closest threat to earth?

destiny isn't real, they could have made the threat anywhere location isnt a factory but a short cut on making something new. Even if they had to use the moon making 90% of the missions exact rips of things from D1 is another major short cut. I enjoyed this content when I played it endlessly in D1, hell I wish they would just dump all of D1 into D2 but a planet at a time isn't the way to go. The slapped together stop gap that was rise of iron did this concept better. At least with that we had D2 the next year, not getting D3 anytime soon.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
State of current destiny is pretty shitty no doubt. That being said still being under Activision likely wouldn't have made much of a difference. It would have been the same or worst.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? After all the reskin reskin reskin accusations you want them to bring back D1?

We still doing the whole play obtuse thing?

They could bring some stuff forward as refreshers in the interim while they work on creating new content.

According to you they are already being blasted with reskin accusations anyway, so if they make that move and clearly communicate it as temporary measure while the new stuff is being worked on, fuck are people going to do? a new reddit thread and posts in the OT on resetera?

at least D1 had (superior) models than the ones they keep reusing in D2 anyway.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You have basically no idea what you are talking about.

Forsaken - which 90% of the playerbase thought was amazing - was considered a failure by Activision, whereas I'm sure Activision was really proud of Destiny 2's release sales despite fans being vocally disappointed by it.

The schism between the two companies can be boiled down to the fact that Activision wanted Destiny to be a series with annual releases, like Call of Duty, that people buy at full retail price and then burn through until next year. Bungie wants to cater to the fans who actually play Destiny as a living game, even if it leads to a smaller pool of players than trying to rope in Joe Casual or whatever.

Eververse is something you can easily ignore if it bugs you that much, and has zero effect on gameplay. Meanwhile they have been on record explaining how income from Eververse helps fund development, so its obvious why its still there and updated regularly.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well....I will go with you as far as the best content of Destiny 2 (Forsaken) was largely created by Activision owned support studios and shadowkeep is utter shite compared to Forsaken.
That having been said I dont think Activision is the answer to a better Destiny (or any game really) in the future.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We still doing the whole play obtuse thing?

They could bring some stuff forward as refreshers in the interim while they work on creating new content.

According to you they are already being blasted with reskin accusations anyway, so if they make that move and clearly communicate it as temporary measure while the new stuff is being worked on, fuck are people going to do? a new reddit thread and posts in the OT on resetera?

at least D1 had (superior) models than the ones they keep reusing in D2 anyway.
D1 had no point of reference. It as all new, so there was nothing to cry about when assets were re-use, yes I'm going to ignore House of Wolves.

I am not being obtuse, we're both adults, as thinking adults with functional brains we know that a developer doing a live service AAA Production can't put out content the size of Forsaken annually and supplement it with seasonal dlc drops for years on end without bringing things back, and I love the moon but the loud minority will signal-boost the narrative that its all reskins if raids from D1 came back.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
D1 had no point of reference. It as all new, so there was nothing to cry about when assets were re-use, yes I'm going to ignore House of Wolves.

I am not being obtuse, we're both adults, as thinking adults with functional brains we know that a developer doing a live service AAA Production can't put out content the size of Forsaken annually and supplement it with seasonal dlc drops for years on end without bringing things back, and I love the moon but the loud minority will signal-boost the narrative that its all reskins if raids from D1 came back.

What the hell is going on? Why are you telling me this? I'm so confused. Not once did I make reference to them re-using stuff in D1, and not once did I ask for D1 raids to be brought back, hence me asking if you were being obtuse when you asked "you want them to bring D1 back?" because that is not what I said.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What the hell is going on? Why are you telling me this? I'm so confused. Not once did I make reference to them re-using stuff in D1, and not once did I ask for D1 raids to be brought back, hence me asking if you were being obtuse when you asked "you want them to bring D1 back?" because that is not what I said.
I must have misread your post then.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Eververse is the worst it's ever been, but besides that, Bungie's current approach to Destiny and delivering content and updates, so far, is fine. Affinities are annoying, but Bungie has already stated they're going to change that.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the interview, but Luke Smith said something about not being finished with Destiny 2, not wanting to move on. I got from that statement that Activision was the one who pushed the refresh of Destiny 2 in the first place and was pushing for Destiny 3. Get more people in at the ground level for a new game, $60 per game plus DLC.

As soon as I saw a timeline to year 7 for Destiny 2 in the vidoc, I knew they were much better off without Activision. I am more hopeful for Destiny's future than ever before. They have a chance to build something special without the pressures of 3 year refreshes.

Dec 2, 2017
I really hope we get a Destiny 3 and if Bungie got more time to make it the best game it can be at launch due to cutting ties with Activision then that's a net win.
The current state of the game is a little too complex for me. I played D2 at launch and then dropped out until it went f2p. Now I'm overwhelmed with everything that's going on in the game.
I don't use weapon/armor mods and since I'm not doing endgame content those things don't really do anything for me anyways.
I could be totally wrong since I didn't really read up on all the new mechanics but as someone who jumped back in after a long break it just feels like Bungie made things more complicated to give people build choices but in the end those things don't really matter because the old systems were never created with such mechanics in mind. That's why I hope they do an overhaul of their armor / mod / build mechanics for D3 to streamline it and make it so they can build upon that new system in a simpler way.
This is where the real discussion should be. The real effect Activision had was simplifying the game, they were the driving force behind the state D2 launched in with the slowed down meta. They wanted it to be more accessible. Staying with Activision meant internal debates about design.

Personally I think it's for the best that Bungie get to focus on their core community to build the faster and more complex game they want. But I can understand if some players who don't intend to sign up for the part time job that D2 currently is feel overwhelmed by the price of entry in terms of time.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
My thoughts on Acti being involved with Destiny/Bungo:

tenor.gif

May 25, 2019
London
The only way this argument has a little bit of merit is if the support studios (especially Vicarious Visions) were given more ownership of the game.

I believe VV did the PC port as well as Forsaken, which to this day are the two things that saved Destiny 2

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Totally get OP's grievances, as that stuff is just laughable this late in the game, but I don't know that I'd go as far as to say the game would be better off with Activision. We have such little idea of what that would entail.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
But most importantly, did anyone really ask for Armor 2.0? Did anyone honestly thought to themselves "Man, it would be great if I can get the same armor with different elemental affinities with frivolous stats and enhance them with mods" and thought it would make the game better?
What? Armor 2.0 is fantastic. There's so much more choice to how you build your character. And the cosmetics are fantastic because if you get a great roll on a piece of armor you don't love, you can make it look great.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
7 years of D2, well I guess Venus will get the recycled treatment next....

Guess with the way worse then activision eververse store they can afford to cater to the smaller hardcore audience and lose the casual market to other games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
destiny isn't real, they could have made the threat anywhere location isnt a factory but a short cut on making something new. Even if they had to use the moon making 90% of the missions exact rips of things from D1 is another major short cut. I enjoyed this content when I played it endlessly in D1, hell I wish they would just dump all of D1 into D2 but a planet at a time isn't the way to go. The slapped together stop gap that was rise of iron did this concept better. At least with that we had D2 the next year, not getting D3 anytime soon.
Sucks you feel that way, I've been loving it

Deleted member 25671

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With the overabundance of themed cosmetics in Eververse, lack of Vendor Refresh, and reskinned cosmetics that are earn-able from activities, it shows that Bungie lacks the the vision and drive to make Destiny the best where it can be. The fact they refresh Eververse on a seaonal basis far far more than vendor refresh is rather telling

Far as I'm concerned, most of the problems that Destiny as a whole has are on Bungie and its only gonna get worse from here on out.
Do you mean that Destiny should have no Bungie at all, or that you wish Activision was still the publisher with Bungie as the main Developer? Bungie, in my opinion, needs to be the one behind Destiny. Now would Destiny benefit from Activisions Money? Probably. The extra development help they got from VV and HMS did a lot for the game. I don't know if Eververse would be gone or less intrusive, that's always hard to tell. Activsion seemed pretty unhappy with Destiny, they did let Bungie break contract early, which seems to tell me they were happy to let them go. So Activision would have probably wanted them to drum up more cash somehow, and Bungie would have defaulted to more Eververse. Plus Activision had hard deadlines, which as a publisher is understandable, but that an cause subpar dlc because things get rushed out. I honestly can't say it's better off or not, but I am curious to see if they can keep Destiny going by themselves.
On Armor 2.0, I'm glad they did something with Armor. 2.0 is flawed, but something I welcome, and I like being able to mod my armor up and get better builds. At least it feels more fun, aside from elemental affinity. To each their own though.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hurray, another Aurc post. What's laughable?
Just the stuff OP pointed out. Eververse focus, lack of vendor refresh (this was something that, back in D1, even the B tier expansions like TDB and HoW got), re-skinned gear again.

Really was never a fan of the Eververse. Just takes away from original armor and cosmetics in other areas of the game, without adding anything of value to the overall Destiny experience.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
After reading the upcoming tone deaf change to OEM from the recent TWAB.....

Tell me again how exactly Destiny is still better with Bungie running the show?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Destiny PvP balancing has always been handled poorly, so hardly anything to do with Bungo being independent there. OEM went like a full year being the untouchable king of Titan exotics in PvP when they were under Acti, now (though the broken Artifact mods are a big reason) there's some strong builds that use other exotics now, Synthoceps with thunder coil being impressively OP in the right circumstances.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019

So you're just going to bump your own thread every time Bungie does something you don't like, is that how this is gonna be? Look at the poll, take the L, and maybe accept this game isn't for you any more.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
You know who the bad Titans are when they cry about OEM nerfs because they can't play without the crutch.