• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would Destiny have been better off with

• No. What's wrong with you?

Votes: 1,177 92.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 115 9.0%

• Total voters

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just frustrated with how Bungie are doing things with their own franchise and not even put one moment to think that maybe some of their decisions aren't well thought-out (Elemental affinity, Eververse, etc...)

I want to Destiny to be the best it can be. Is that too much to ask?
So you'd rather give it to Activision? Think this through.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
So if they made you grind for 300 hours to get stuff you could buy in Eververse you would be ok with that? Something tells me you wouldn't. And there's always going to be tradeoffs. You can never make enough content for players and the game is f2p and they need to make money to pay people and fund further development. Its just a reality. That still doesn't answer how Activision would be better tho. I think it would be the same or worse (probably much worse) under Activision.

If those cosmetic stuff were activity themed cosmetics like the Hive Dungeon or the raid? Hell yes, I would absolutely grind for it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I have some major issues with Destiny 2 as it is, but everything I gather is the Destiny faithful love having things waste as much time and be generally inconvenient. Like how Xur would be marked on the map early on, but this wasn't deemed mysterious enough so they removed the map marker and have everyone check Reddit for his weekly location instead. Feel like that's the crux of Destiny 2 as it is right now, looking up what to do, and having a frivolous amount of grind to it.

It's weird because I generally like loot games, love them really, but I've always felt at odds with Destiny 2. I think I've come to realize that it's because it's not really much of a loot game, you get loot, but things are tied so much to a mobile style daily and weekly refresh for your number gains, and a lot of content is barred behind opaque guide bait that I wonder what I'm actually getting out of the game.

That said, I don't think it would be better in Activision's hands either -- unless you wanted a yearly Destiny sequel.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
If those cosmetic stuff were activity themed cosmetics like the Hive Dungeon or the raid? Hell yes, I would absolutely grind for it.
Even if they only give you a certain peroid on time? I imagine they'd do something like " you can grind it for a week or else you can buy it". You'd really be ok with that? Because that is how they would do it because they want you to buy it because they make more money that way.

Edit: I take that back. They would just annualize the game. So if you wanted the upgrade with all of the cool new loot $60 please. Are you sure you want that?

Google it, I'm not gonna be able to articulate how many people have analyzed why it looks close to Destiny 1 on a technical level

Huh? Why do i need to google it when i can load up the game myself and see how good it looks

Why would I need to google it when I play the game? Lol...
I know right?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
With the overabundance of themed cosmetics in Eververse, lack of Vendor Refresh, and reskinned cosmetics that are earn-able from activities, it shows that Bungie lacks the the vision and drive to make Destiny the best where it can be. The fact they refresh Eververse on a seaonal basis far far more than vendor refresh is rather telling

But most importantly, did anyone really ask for Armor 2.0? Did anyone honestly thought to themselves "Man, it would be great if I can get the same armor with different elemental affinities with frivolous stats and enhance them with mods" and thought it would make the game better?

Far as I'm concerned, most of the problems that Destiny as a whole has are on Bungie and its only gonna get worse from here on out.

armor 2.0 has been great. It needs some refinements sure but the concept is pretty great. Being able to switch loader mods on the fly has been great for raiding.

They refresh ever-verse to make money. Ya know, the thing they need to keep making content each season? And no they do not refresh it more than vendor refresh. And as far as their vision and drive...what are you talking about? This season has been great. The story is moving forward and changing almost every week.

You seem to be grasping here.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really don't think so at all. Most of your complaints stem from cosmetics and not the actual game itself. As far as I'm concerned you can do everything in the game without touching Eververse. I don't mind the state Eververse is in right now and quite frankly I don't find it intrusive at all to my experience since Shadowkeep. It's a way to get some funding that they currently aren't getting from a third party publisher. I think Destiny is in the best place it's been since D1 Taken King.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't really think we are in any real position to judge whether this is true before D3 comes out. And after D1 and D2, the bar Bungie needs to rise above to prove the premise of this thread wrong is incredibly low.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't really think we are in any real position to judge whether this is true before D3 comes out. And after D1 and D2, the bar Bungie needs to rise above to prove the premise of this thread wrong is incredibly low.
There won't be a D3.

New Light is pretty much the "reset" that would have been D3.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
armor 2.0 has been great. It needs some refinements sure but the concept is pretty great. Being able to switch loader mods on the fly has been great for raiding.

They refresh ever-verse to make money. Ya know, the thing they need to keep making content each season? And no they do not refresh it more than vendor refresh. And as far as their vision and drive...what are you talking about? This season has been great. The story is moving forward and changing almost every week.

You seem to be grasping here.

I thought they thing they need to make seasons was the $10 dollars they charge you for each time.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
The current Eververse situation is kind of shitty... but like... noooooo.

Nooooooooooooooo, OP. Just no. No no no. Nope. No sir. Naw. Nuh uh. Noooooo.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah, I really don't think so at all. Most of your complaints stem from cosmetics and not the actual game itself. As far as I'm concerned you can do everything in the game without touching Eververse. I don't mind the state Eververse is in right now and quite frankly I don't find it intrusive at all to my experience since Shadowkeep. It's a way to get some funding that they currently aren't getting from a third party publisher. I think Destiny is in the best place it's been since D1 Taken King.

And just because the Eververse cosmetics aren't intrusive for you doesn't mean the frustrations that some players have aren't valid

Loot games is more than power. It's also about personalizing yourself. If the only way to personalize yourself is buying the unique cosmetics and not earn them in gameplay, them that's kinda fucked, wouldn't it?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they thing they need to make seasons was the $10 dollars they charge you for each time.
yup cause 10 dollars is gonna pay for all those developers and resources. They need recurring income in order to keep content development up. One ornament for whisper of the worm paid for the zero hour mission (which is awesome) and the outbreak perfected exotic.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If Activision was still running the show, we'd have D3 coming this year or at most next year. Bungie would clearly not be ready for it.

Now they can work on D3 without being rushed.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that Bungie isn't willing to have support studios to help them out and Destiny is gonna suffer for it.

.......what?

some of the best content has been made by support studios in the past. They helped make the season of opulance and the menagerie which was fucking awesome.

You honestly do not seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to Destiny.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
yup cause 10 dollars is gonna pay for all those developers and resources. They need recurring income in order to keep content development up. One ornament for whisper of the worm paid for the zero hour mission (which is awesome) and the outbreak perfected exotic.

Like most of foresaken, rehashed exotics and locations, but now with a time limit.

Bless those whales that paid for it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Also, I agree that the OP lacks any details to make their point. A shit on Bungie thread has plenty of ammo, a case that Activision would have been better doesn't.

I know some site reported on the fact they are developing their own scifi service game earlier this year. Has anything else come out of that? Do we have any guesses whose leading it?

Deleted member 19024

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the actual poll question supposed to be?

anyway the graphics in Destiny are pretty behind the times so I don't know who's fault that is but that company shouldn't have Destiny

u crazy son. Destiny looks great and meets it's mission. The game scales amazingly well across multiple hardware configs.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Like most of foresaken, rehashed exotics and locations, but now with a time limit.

Bless those whales that paid for it.
I bought it. I'm not a whale. A whale is that small percentage of the population that puts tons and tons of money into buying microtransactions.

I bought it cause it looked cool.

I don't mind supporting studios I love who make the games I love and so far destiny has been my fav game this generation by far.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I like armor 2.0 and the return of the old stats. Feels like I have more flexibility in my armor now.

I don't, however, like how Bungie has doubled down yet again on Eververse. They've all but eliminated the ability to earn cosmetics by playing the game. The amount of bright dust you earn now is absolutely pathetic when it costs thousands for a single item.

The "season pass" system is really underwhelming so far. They could make it more appealing by having it reward engrams that contain current cosmetics instead of all of the old shit I already have.

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a D3.

New Light is pretty much the "reset" that would have been D3.
I think they confirmed that a new Destiny 3 would have to happen eventually. I can see why, the size of the current game is insanely big and a restart would be great at some point. I think it's just little further off than some are suspecting.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This post isn't going to age well.
There will absolutely be a D3 next year. Foresaken was scrapped together in under a year because they were no longer obligated to rush and ship D3 this year as was scheduled.
Better off with Activision as a whole? No.
Better off with support studios, possibly Activision studios? Yes.

Yeah, I'm going to have to save this post for later
if you have been following the story you know they are building to something that would warrant a sequel.
You bet your ass there will be a sequel.

I would be happy af if there was a new sequel with an improved engine for the new consoles.

I wouldn't be so happy about losing my gear again for a 3rd time, after losing my OG D1 char by moving to PC when it came out 2 years ago and ditching the PS4 version.

I think they confirmed that a new Destiny 3 would have to happen eventually. I can see why, the size of the current game is insanely big and a restart would be great at some point. I think it's just little further off than some are suspecting.

Or they can just take away stuff like they did for Destiny 1 due to memory limitations of the 360/PS3 whenever a expansion came out.

It wasn't nice though.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they make destiny 2, warmind and osiris free? Is it because Activision would have been taking in most of the money anyway?
More like, old content, just like Blizzard includes old expansions in base game after Cataclysm.

Other than just being side story, those don't really contribute to the current endgame at all.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The eververse is an offset for the F2P stuff. Still plenty of cool armor in the game.

I'll agree that the vendor refresh is a shame, hopefully that was due to all the reworked things like Armor 2.0 and next season we'll see a full refresh of older vendors.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious that Bungie was better off owned by Microsoft. They kept Bungie's management in check for the most part.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Hate to say it, but I think yes OP.
Now that Activision is gone, Bungie focusses only on paid content, hence Eververse is top priority. I understand they need to make money, but giving reskins In-game and new stuff only in eververse is not a fair way to treat your playerbase.

They claim F2P just to justify their current monetization model , yet you still have to pay for DLC/season passes to play the latest content and have some decent progression.

I am afraid it will only get worse.

on Armor 2.0, i like the new system as it gives more depth in builds (not that it matter much as the game is beatable with blue items on).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
More like, old content, just like Blizzard includes old expansions in base game after Cataclysm.

Other than just being side story, those don't really contribute to the current endgame at all.
Well I ain't complaining. Got 2 months of fun out of it all for free and I'm still yet to do 2 of the raids. I'll definitely be buying Forsakin and Shadowkeep on sale though so they'll be getting money out of me they wouldn't otherwise have. Smart move.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Legally, this is a take.

Granted, I'd love to see Vicarious Vision and High Moon continue to work on Destiny, but it's very clearly better off with Bungie.