• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would Destiny have been better off with

• No. What's wrong with you?

Votes: 1,177 92.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 115 9.0%

• Total voters

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
No, I think Bungie is handling it fine as of now. They made the base game free for all, microtransactions so far has been for cosmetics only. Content wise, there's a fair bit to do. No vendor resets are a disappointment, but they added a new location with its own activities, plus armor 2.0. I'm quite happy at the moment with where Destiny 2 is now.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Publishers set targets, devs figure out how to hit them.
"But don't devs have to implement crazy monetization to hit crazy targets?"
Yes, but these targets are generated by the dev pitch in the first place.

Nowadays you don't just pitch gameplay, you pitch how it's going to make money too. 90% of the time it's on the dev.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nah. Destiny might've been better off with Bungie still tied to Activision, though, it's hard to say.

Eververse might not have gotten as awful as it has (though I think it's still likely they still would have tweaked it to be less friendly to the player) and High Moon and Vicarious Visions did some great work for Bungie/Destiny where it doesn't really feel like Bungie can quite dedicate as much resources to the game as players would like while also clearly working on other projects.

However, it might also be better for the game that it isn't beholden to Activision's wants and expectations.

Destiny without Bungie and driven purely by Activision? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Armor 2.0 is most definitely a change for the better btw. I've relished in the freedom to swap in and out mods as I please depending on what I'm using. Elemental affinities? A bother but not a big enough deal to start crying that Bungie shouldn't even be developing the game. Jesus.

They need to take the next step and go full transmog/make every set an ornament though. Hopefully we'll see that happen next year.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate reading bad takes before I head off to bed.

Stand down guardian.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I've rediscovered the game with Shadowkeep launch.... 200 hours laters still loving the game, so I don't know what you're talking about

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The game should be with Activision because of... how Bungie handle's cosmetics and because there are elemental armor?

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
OP is probably just pissed cause they can't get a high stat armor. Well guess what, it doesn't fucking matter.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I agree with the OP's general point, but Activision has a ton of in-house developers. If push came to shove they could probably farm out Destiny to some of them and continue it on as their own. Not that the results would be great.

They did push out expansions under those in house devs IIRC Vicarious Visions did Warmind. No possible way I'd expect Activision to handle Destiny 2 better than Bungie. Especially how much of a sorry state the series was before the split.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they only give you a certain peroid on time? I imagine they'd do something like " you can grind it for a week or else you can buy it". You'd really be ok with that? Because that is how they would do it because they want you to buy it because they make more money that way.

Edit: I take that back. They would just annualize the game. So if you wanted the upgrade with all of the cool new loot $60 please. Are you sure you want that?

What the actual fuck? I feel like I'm in bizarro land. If you don't think expansion+season pass is an annual plan they have you hoodwinked even more than I thought. Stop calling this a F2P game when a significant portion of it is absolutely not free. I think it is dishonest to call it F2P when paying for access to content is a huge component of the game and will probably remain that way. Labeling it F2P lets Eververse to skate by as some necessary evil. Shadowkeep isn't free. Forsaken is still not free. Someone said Activision was working Bungie to death when Activsion had their own studios making the smaller content so Bungie could focus on the bigger drops. Bungie is notorious for being able to deliver products on time so I'm sure that caused some tension. I don't care who still likes the game or not, but the misrepresentation of what happened and what is happening is reaching absurd levels of denial.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I started destiny shortly after bungie left activision, and i really like the game.
I dont raid since i dont like people, but everything else they released in shadowkeep was very much to my liking, with how most new things have difficulties and matchmaking on the lower ones.

I dont really get the vendor refresh complaint to be honest, like when i started all the stuff vendors gave was "new" to me, but i never cared for any of it, with how much better all the stuff from the billion activities is.
All i ever do with weapons/armor from vendors is immediately shard it.
Does it really matter if there is one more or one less legendary submachine you shard because it is not as good as recluse ?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's DMG's reponse regarding Nightfalls loot/Eververse:

They claim that time and resources are the biggest issues they face right now, so they have to make some choices.

I don't buy that for even a single second especially when they put time and resources into Eververse. If its really that bad as it seem, maybe having Activision's backing would get them to make the earnable cosmetics/unique loot
Daft response.

Eververse is a skins and cosmetics, thats art assets, where as every weapon and armour require designing and live testing to ensure nothing breaks the game.

Not the same thing at all.

Hat a dumb thread, be better.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
While there are plenty of debatable criticisms to be made of D2/Bungie in its current state, you shot yourself in the foot OP by saying it should be given to Activision. People are even asking you why Activision and you're not giving straight answers, just shitting on Bungie more. The poll speaks for itself, Destiny is in a pretty good place, close to the best its been.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Also why is it possible to vote for both options in the poll? Makes no sense. Make it single vote and if you must, add a "maybe" option.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What? You do realize the main things that make Destiny worth a damn, namely the gunplay and presentation, are all Bungie, right? Exactly how would Activision deliver in those areas on Bungie's level?

Microsoft had to hire a dream team just to keep the ghost of Halo's past alive. Does anyone seriously think Activision would fare better with Destiny?

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope we get a Destiny 3 and if Bungie got more time to make it the best game it can be at launch due to cutting ties with Activision then that's a net win.
The current state of the game is a little too complex for me. I played D2 at launch and then dropped out until it went f2p. Now I'm overwhelmed with everything that's going on in the game.
I don't use weapon/armor mods and since I'm not doing endgame content those things don't really do anything for me anyways.
I could be totally wrong since I didn't really read up on all the new mechanics but as someone who jumped back in after a long break it just feels like Bungie made things more complicated to give people build choices but in the end those things don't really matter because the old systems were never created with such mechanics in mind. That's why I hope they do an overhaul of their armor / mod / build mechanics for D3 to streamline it and make it so they can build upon that new system in a simpler way.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's always been on Bungie (the good and the bad), even when people tried to make excuses for them by blaming Activision.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of understand you, OP. Armor 2.0 is a half-baked system with glaring flaws that should've been obvious in testing (like elemental affinity on exotic armor). The new mod aquisition is busted for new players. Pinnacle rewards are a joke even at +2 and even with 2 back-to-back Iron Banner weeks. The seasonal artifact is just not fun and limits the playstyles that are "viable" each season (see Peregrine Striker Titan or Oppressive Darkness builds, handcannons and bows to break nightmares).

Then there is the half-baked Shadowkeep campaign. Compared to Forsaken this campaign seems like a demo. And I honestly doubt each season will have an equally long campaign to actually bring it up to Forsaken length over the course of the year.

But then again I am not really invested in the game. I just played Forsaken. Took a break. Came back just before Shadowkeep. Game is fun on and off. I'm having fun even with all the flaws. I'm looking forward to the first "season reset" in a few weeks. If it turns out to suck all the fun out of the game (as I am currently expecting) I don't mind waiting. I'll just jump back in before the release of the next expansion.

Would the flaws be less with Activision pressing for more and more $$$$$$? Probably not.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 is in a decent state right now.

My frustrations with the game are:

no vendor refresh.

the fact that they insist on creating these variations of horde mode. Vex Offensive is pretty bad. The game needs more content like strikes, the dungeons and Whisper mission, although I understand those take much longer to craft.

I also understand the need for Eververse, Bungie needs to make money, but so much of the cool stuff is there. I'm also not happy with the bright dust economy.

there is so much content in D1 that could be brought forward, not the activities per se, but weaponsarmor and some weapon perks just to refresh things a bit. I get that people want new stuff but seeing as those take longer to craft, why did they not bring forward the Vault of Glass weapons with this season of the Vex stuff? They could have made them rare drops from Vex invasions or something. Those weapon models were so cool, in fact, I thinkI still prefer majority of weapon and armor models from D1. Bring some of those D1 weapons forward like Palindrome etc as vendor refreshers

I hate how 9/10 the exotic slot is reserved for a heavy weapon. Kinetic and Energy exotics are pretty meh. They need to the Darci as well as move Swords to the energy slot.

if they did some of these things the game would improve a lot.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
With the overabundance of themed cosmetics in Eververse, lack of Vendor Refresh, and reskinned cosmetics that are earn-able from activities, it shows that Bungie lacks the the vision and drive to make Destiny the best where it can be. The fact they refresh Eververse on a seaonal basis far far more than vendor refresh is rather telling

I quit Destiny because it asked too much time of me and I wanted to play other games but these complaints are literally about cosmetic items that do not affect the game whatsoever, so if this is the biggest issue you have for the game, the answer is no, they are handling the game fine, considering the heaps of content the game has and how fun it can be.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Is there really a problem with D2 nowadays ? it simply doesn't have anything worthwile for hardcores, but it seems that everyone else is legit enjoying it

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Activision did alright this year imo.

Sekiro was amazing

Crash team racing apparently superb (haven't unwrapped it yet lol)

Modern warfare
(they will surely add mtx down the line, but let's see what kind of. The support for the game has been amazing and exemplary, and supports the rumoured map releases)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It'd probably be the same. Activision where probably moving their studios on to something else sooner rather than later. The Eververse has never been worst though and seeing them blatantly putting what should be rewards from activites behind it is really starting to demotivate me. Like doing a 5 week long quest and it giving me a generic 150 Sparrow, when Eververse got a bunch of exotic ones was just sad, also the raid Sparrow, the new strikes Nightfall loot and probably more I'm forgetting.
Edit: oh and only Eververse armour being universal armour ornaments, despite there being no need to limited it like that and you can use the other ornaments you earned in Year 1 and 2, but you have to pull it from your collection every time, because reasons and the vendor armour rolls pretty much always being trash are pretty annoying too.

Last edited:

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder how bad asset reuse and selling old D1 content is gonna get.

Activision had to swoop in and help a lot with D2 to make up for Bungies shortfalls with creating new content.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, the game would be better off with some greedy publisher cause we would get better cosmetics.

/s

I don't care, honestly. I just played Shadowkeep and I'm out. It baffles me that we still don't have better loot system (I DESPISE this "missions" that you must do for some exotics, jesus christ, do XX 100 times to progress mission bar, holy crap that's boring) and new enemies. I'm tired of fighting the same things over and over again. Give me some nice, randomely generated solo dungeons for endgame, like Diablo 3 rifts.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would have been better if it launched as a F2P title when Destiny was announced. From the outset, neither Bungie or Activision really knew what they had made, hence the so-so MMO-lite stuff in the game. They never really committed to one or the other and all the troubles that came after launch were a massive red flat for those watching the steady demise of Bungie.

D2 seems to have finally moved in a good direction but for many it was a bit too late. Activision probably also saw this and jumped ship, leaving Bungie to flounder and seek new funding/support.

Ultimately it's better in Bungies hands since they can direct where they like it but it could also lead to its death if they cannot get support for such a big project.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Would have been better if it launched as a F2P title when Destiny was announced. From the outset, neither Bungie or Activision really knew what they had made, hence the so-so MMO-lite stuff in the game. They never really committed to one or the other and all the troubles that came after launch were a massive red flat for those watching the steady demise of Bungie.

D2 seems to have finally moved in a good direction but for many it was a bit too late. Activision probably also saw this and jumped ship, leaving Bungie to flounder and seek new funding/support.

Ultimately it's better in Bungies hands since they can direct where they like it but it could also lead to its death if they cannot get support for such a big project.
Activision jumped ship from the second highest selling shooter IP? https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...he-2nd-best-selling-fps-franchise-in-the-u-s/

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
But most importantly, did anyone really ask for Armor 2.0? Did anyone honestly thought to themselves "Man, it would be great if I can get the same armor with different elemental affinities with frivolous stats and enhance them with mods" and thought it would make the game better?
Umm yeah? Do you think getting raid armor with trash perks was better than this system? Sure elemental affinity is a hassle but its not like that cant be improved upon going forward. Not even sure what makes you think being with Activision would have prevented any of this.

If Bungie was still with Activision the game probably wouldn't be free to play. You would need the latest expansion to reach the highest power level and you would need to buy all the previous expansions to buy the latest one. Now you can buy a season pass if you feel like the content in the season knowing that you wont be locked out of stuff in future seasons.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Eververse sucks right now, but I"d like to know what makes you think Activision would make it any better? They were around when year 1 D2 was going on and that was by far the worst time period in all of Destiny.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Destiny is currently the best it's ever been. The cosmetic crap is annoying, I agree that Eververse is full of stuff most people won't be able to buy without MT, but content-wise you have the size of a AAA games plus DLC for free.

One might say that Shadowkeep's content is disappointing, but it isn't if you include what you get with the current season. Things might change, but so far there's plenty to do more than a month after release. I think Destiny 3 will be the real test though.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What is the actual poll question supposed to be?

anyway the graphics in Destiny are pretty behind the times so I don't know who's fault that is but that company shouldn't have Destiny
266178aa5e44a4486e93ccbbee55f5b800c0c5cbe748495885e2746139572a62.gif