• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the PS5 UI reveal I've been interested in how different games and development teams will use the cards. My biggest takeaway from that reveal was how both the game and console UI are as one and not just a launcher for the games.

I've not played any online games on PS5 and was surprised by how many options are tied into the activities. Maybe this is common knowledge to players that do a lot of online gaming or group chats on the PS5.

When I first boot up the game and enter a match it gives me an option to join the game chat. Once you join that chat, If you open the activity cards you can open a chat card.

69oK1na.jpg

The mute chat button a square press from this menu. From within the chat card you have all the usual options such as mute chat, mute players and so on. From this card you can also view other players profiles and add them as friends if you wish.

Another Card I found really helpful was what I call the last match card. (In the above screen)
That card shows the score on the main card. From within that card you can play that mode again, view each players points and position during that match. You also get a brief description of the mode.

jfExjfV.jpg

I really like having UI elements like this tucked away into cards because it cuts down on the clutter found on the main console UI. To have these options tucked into a card that's a click away and not having to remember where the options for chats, players, scores are in some random menu make everything feel slick and easy to use.

This one maybe familiar to regular MP users on PS5, but I've never seen it before.
At the end of a match there is an accolade option.

tAH4Xep.jpg

89EKZCB.jpg

I don't know what this gives the other player lol. Maybe they receive a message saying that have been given an award. If that's all it does it's still a nice thing to receive a notification that someone appreciates them lol.

The other cards for jumping into different game modes also work really well and save you exiting different areas of the game and taking you directly to the game mode itself.

So yeah. I've made this thread as an appreciation to Lucid games and how well they have integrated the activities into the game.

I'm also hopful as the generation goes on we'll see some interesting and uniqe cards that leverages the SSD.
Maybe the cards could be used in a detective game where you can instantly load up a crime scene and review evidence you gathered in a past play session.
Another could be an option to run through a little tutorial if you haven't played a game in months and want a refresher. You could probably go as far as having individual tutorials for different enemies if you get stuck on a certain section.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't know what this gives the other player lol. Maybe they receive a message saying that have been given an award. If that's all it does it's still a nice thing to receive a notification that someone appreciates them lol.
I got this for the first time when I played Sackboy online over the weekend. You get a notification and it shows on your user profile.

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting. I was under the impression that cards were designed as being mini (though hyper localised) launchers. It never occurred to me that they could be used in this way and it'll be interesting to see what other uses/paradigms arise out of that.

OP
OP
Gvon

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I got this for the first time when I played Sackboy online over the weekend. You get a notification and it shows on your user profile.

Aww that's so cool. It thanks you for spreading positivity on PSN when you hand one out :)

That's interesting. I was under the impression that cards were designed as being mini (though hyper localised) launchers. It never occurred to me that they could be used in this way and it'll be interesting to see what other uses/paradigms arise out of that.

That's what I thought at first. After playing Allstars it got me thinking about what else can be done with them.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Does it tell you that the voice chat mute feature was in the cards menu? I heard a lot of people complaining about them being unable to do so.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That you have to use a card to mute people is pure nonsense.
Seems like they did it only to show the card system, but it ends up doing the opposite of what the cards should do.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like they did it only to show the card system, but it ends up doing the opposite of what the cards should do.
I think it's actually faster and get you back into the game that way. Unless there is other ways you think are quicker to mute players. Usually you have to go into a diff menu or the score screen in a multiplayer game to mute specific players.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's actually faster and get you back into the game that way. Unless there is other ways you think are quicker to mute players. Usually you have to go into a diff menu or the score screen in a multiplayer game to mute specific players.

I think COD probably has the quickest/easiest method. Just hit R3 while in the lobby before the match starts and it mutes everyone. Or bring up the scoreboard (hold select) while in-game and tap R3 there to do the same thing if you're already in the game.

I think the larger problem is that doing it via activity cards doesn't seem to be a thing that people know to do. Half the OT is people asking how to mute the open game chat. I don't think there's anything to suggest that you should go via activity cards and then hit square on a specific card to mute people in a game. I only knew because people were saying in the OT. Would've never looked otherwise.

OP
OP
Gvon

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Does it tell you that the voice chat mute feature was in the cards menu? I heard a lot of people complaining about them being unable to do so.

If I remember correctly it did the first time I went into a MP match. It gave me the option to opt in or out of voice.

I found it really quick. It takes the amount of time to press the PS button then square to mute the entire chat. Easily less than quarter of second. I did try and record it and show how fast it is but the control center overlay isn't shown when you record.

For muting individual users, I can see your point. However it's just a press of the PS button away. That could be done in an in-game menu but that's more game menus to navigate rather than a universal chat card that's accessable on a button press.
Its partly why I feel game and UI are as one on the PS5 and not two different things. The cards become an extension of the game and vise versa.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think COD probably has the quickest/easiest method. Just hit R3 while in the lobby before the match starts and it mutes everyone. Or bring up the scoreboard (hold select) while in-game and tap R3 there to do the same thing if you're already in the game.

I think the larger problem is that doing it via activity cards doesn't seem to be a thing that people know to do. Half the OT is people asking how to mute the open game chat. I don't think there's anything to suggest that you should go via activity cards and then hit square on a specific card to mute people in a game. I only knew because people were saying in the OT. Would've never looked otherwise.
Yeah I think they def should explain it. Maybe some short cuts would be helpful too like COD