• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.destructoid.com/dead-ce...rsion-by-a-factor-of-four-to-one-521320.phtml

For some reason the games industry doesn't seem to like sharing sales numbers with the public, so it's always interesting to hear about how a current game is doing straight from the source. This weekend at PAX I spoke briefly with one of the marketers behind indie sensation Dead Cells, who mentioned that the game is performing much better on the Switch than the PS4. No concrete numbers were provided, but I was told that the Switch version of Dead Cells is outselling the PS4 release by a factor of four to one.

Pretty crazy, all things considered. Much has been said about the Switch as an Indie platform, but games outselling versions on the market leader this profoundly is remarkable.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Lol holy shit. The Switch is literally holy ground for indie games. It's amazing how Nintendo turned it around with indies in just a few short years.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Something something Switch bias and not representative or something and thirsty gamers because nothing else.

Or we can finally admit that since Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends way back on Wii U, it's beyond obvious the audience for these kinds of games is stronger on Nintendo platforms.

Also Switch is a beast.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many titles like Dead Cells get spotlight time in Nintendo Directs or Nindies showcases, which can only help. Meanwhile, none of my Xbox friends are even aware of the game

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I was going to buy it for the Switch because I thought it was only on PC and Switch, The fact that It's on ps4 is actually big news to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portable is the best way to play indie games.

When I boot up my PS4 it's usually for a grand high budget experience. When I turn on my Switch I just want to chill for 30 minutes.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Switch is simply perfect for these games. I didn't buy it on PS4 because when I get a Switch it'll be one of my priorities, and the same goes for Celeste and Iconoclasts.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Super glad Nintendo kept making good with indies since it was one of the few positives of the Wii U era

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is simply perfect for these games. I didn't buy it on PS4 because when I get a Switch it'll be one of my priorities, and the same goes for Celeste and Iconoclasts.
I got Iconclasts on my Vita when it came out but I'm going to buy it on the Switch because it's on the Switch. It's just a better experience.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear, Dell Cells deserves massive success.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ashamedly, Switch users are still starving
When will Switch fans stop starving?
Im not starving, but I am drowning!

I just keep buying games I want to play, but before I finish one I end up getting another. Hyrule Warriors, Yooka Laylee, Snake Pass, Okami HD, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, and at least half a dozen others I'm forgetting.

Dead cells is fantastic seriously great though, I'm loving it on my Switch. Few days ago I got all the rune abilities so I can finally go to all the levels (assuming I have a good enough run and I'm not sucking). Game is just so much fun with a very satisfying loop. Only thing I'd change is to get the ability to get a Cell multiplier, there's so much to unlock that it'll take forever to get close to all of them (especially those 1000+ requirement ones).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Got it on PS4 due to the meh performance on Switch. Love buying indies like Celeste when it performs great. You can't deny the love for indies on Switch though.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Seems like an easy choice especially if you own both consoles. Also for me it's largely dependent on the art style. Certain games like Dead Cells and Celeste I wouldn't like seeing blown up on a 65" tv, but on portable they are fine.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's not. At least it's not out of the box. Paired with a Hori d-pad Joy-Con and a comfort grip, then yeah, it's perfect.

But like, the PS4 comes with a controller worthy of platformers.

It also tethers you to your screen at home, which is kind of a big problem for people who have use for a mobile device. I beat half of the messenger in portable mode, where as trying remote play with my Vita was an awful experience.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The only two places I buy games these days is Switch or PC.

Switch for portability and PC for fidelity and guaranteed forward compatibility.

Buying non exclexclu games on traditional consoles these days seems a bit pointless to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not aware of the overlap between Switch ownership and PS4/Xbox ownership, but is it possible that the Switch is actually taking away indie sales from other platforms?

Anecdotally at least, I know that I've barely purchased any indie games on the other systems since the Switch came out.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Good lord, 4 to 1 is absolutely ridiculous.

I get it though, Switch is by far the most appealing platform for that kind of game. I was seriously considering buying it to play during a camping trip this weekend because it seems like the kind of game that'd be very easy to pick up and put down, but the performance issues I've seen (mostly the frame skipping) have kind of turned me off from buying it until they release a performance patch.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Nintendo best selling platform for game genre made famous on previous classic classic consoles. Why this means switch is the uncontested best system to game on. News at 11.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn impressive. And dead cells was not included in a Nintendo direct, so it's not like Nintendo was putting more muscle behind it. I hope they fix the performance issues with the switch version because I'm interested in this game

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
You know, I had no idea Dead Cells even came out on Xbox One and PS4.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Remember when people here used to say that third party / indie games sales on Switch weren't that great as people think because "my uncle said so" ? That was pretty funny.