• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Destructoid has just put up an article where they spoke with David McCarthy, Director of Western Marketing for Cygames, at E3 (they apparently had a presence there). They talked about about the company's development plans and how Cygames has been making some serious strides into the home console market, notably with Project Awakening and Granblue Fantasy Re;Link. You can read the article at the below link.

https://www.destructoid.com/cygames-has-conquered-mobile-now-it-s-coming-for-consoles-511778.phtml

Now here's the interesting bit...

McCarthy was scarce with more details for Project Re:Link. We do know Cygames is aiming to launch the title in Japanese, English, French, and a few other languages at the same time. Other than the video above, that's all the information they had to offer.

If I'm not wrong this is the first mention we've ever gotten about the international plans of the game.

The article also mentions that both games are likely to be years away, which makes sense given how little we've seen of it. Project Awakening in particular is described to be only at 1% development.

Edit: Better to remain skeptical since this isn't first-hand reliable information, until we get more evidence corroborating this.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
We do know Cygames is aiming to launch the title in Japanese, English, French, and a few other languages at the same time.

Yeah so does Destructoid have some sort of inside info on this? because this was never mentioned before I think..

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, french text for Project Re:Link ? This is beautiful to hear and that speak about their ambitions. I wonder if they are going to publish themselves in the west.

OP
OP
Chasing

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah so does Destructoid have some sort of inside info on this? because this was never mentioned before I think..

I didn't even know there was a "Western Marketing" Division that was at E3 lol. That's why I have the question mark, because based on the article I'm not sure if it was something they learned from McCarthy or they made an assumption there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"This game really brings to life the mobile RPG," McCarthy said. "The mobile game is mostly static images and text, but this is what you'd imagine that world to look like. What we're hoping is Granblue Fantasy -- which has a rich story, rich characters, and rich setting -- we're hoping that by tying that together with PlatinumGames' action expertise we're going to come up with something that'll appeal to people worldwide."

You only plan on appealing to worldwide if you're planning on selling them worldwide.

That's as good as a confirm imo

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Cygames could be either the next Square Enix, or the next Imageepoch. I sure hope it's the former. Big budget console JRPGs really need a shot in the arm right now.

As fun as Re:link looks, nothing excites me like the prospect of a completely unknown, potential vaporware vanity project with only a beautiful CG trailer like Project Awakening. With luck it will fare better than the likes of FF Versus XIII, Dark Sector, and Eight Days.

Kinoli

Nov 27, 2017
Even if I've played just a bit of GranBlue, Platinum Games and the aesthetic sold me the game. I don't care if I have to wait, I just want to be an awesome game and in other language that japanese, please!

OP
OP
Chasing

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
By the by, Granblue is also having a summer special livestream broadcast tomorrow evening JP time, where it's possible we could see more of Re;Link (although it's unlikely to have any information on translations).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The article reminded me of this video on Cygames, talking about how they have a piece in every pie in Japan's entertainment media

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it'll come to PS4/PC considering their others projects.

I'd say very likely especially since they're planning a worldwide release and they've been pushing the product out at the usual areas (PAX, AX, EVO). I'm expecting EFIGS myself since they won't be silly enough (hopefully?) to not do Italian since they are the shirt sponsor for Juventus and that interview was probably taken before the Ronaldo transfer. Their marketing team is probably seriously looking at the CR7xGBF crossover potential in their offices.

I think they'll try for March 2019 for Re:Link to coincide with the mobage game's 5th anniversary

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
They has a behind closed doors presentation of a bunch of games, so it's believable they would have stated that and Destructoid didn't understand that was still embargoed.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
When is the Granblue festival? December this year? I could imagine they would hint at a release window at that point

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's a good video. Cygames have products in mobile, manga, anime, console and music along many divisions and subsidiaries

What I took away from that video is that Cygames wants to improve the working conditions for Animators in Japan and that's something I want to help support.

When is the Granblue festival? December this year? I could imagine they would hint at a release window at that point

There's also a Summer festival just around the corner. Not sure if it's the kind of place they would announce these things though.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I took away from that video is that Cygames wants to improve the working conditions for Animators in Japan and that's something I want to help support.

There's also a Summer festival just around the corner. Not sure if it's the kind of place they would announce these things though.

For CygamesPictures and projects funded by them, sure. For the industry, not really.