• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
New York Times

vuoatnd.png

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont has a huge lead over other Democratic presidential candidates in the number of individual donors they have each accumulated so far. This is the first time since the primary race began in earnest that we can estimate how many individual donors each candidate has attracted — a key indicator of how much they are catching on with voters.

Mr. Sanders is relying heavily on small donors to power his campaign, and he entered the 2020 race with a huge network of online donors who supported his 2016 presidential bid. The map above shows the breadth of Mr. Sanders's roster of donors across the United States.

7SwyVUH.png

A map that includes the rest of the Democratic field without Mr. Sanders offers a picture of where the other major candidates are picking up donors. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, the other leading progressive in the race, is outpacing the rest of the field across much of the country — a sign that her strategy of relying on grass-roots donors, and refraining from holding high-dollar fund-raisers, is working.

The map also shows regional strength for some candidates, like former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who is doing well in Delaware and northeastern Pennsylvania, as well as in many places across the Southeast. Senator Kamala Harris of California is formidable in her home state, the nation's most populous. And Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., has drawn strong support in some parts of the Midwest.
Attracting individual donors has been particularly important in the 2020 race because the Democratic National Committee is using grass-roots fund-raising as one of the qualification standards for the debates. To qualify for the next round of debates in September, candidates will need to have at least 130,000 unique donors, in addition to meeting a polling requirement.

Q4NToPe.png

Over all, Mr. Sanders is leading his rivals in total money raised, but not by a huge margin — even though he has far more donors than any of them.

Most other candidates are drawing in more dollars per donor — an estimated average of roughly $80 for both Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris, for example. Mr. Sanders, on the other hand, has brought in an estimated $46 per donor.

Mr. Sanders's campaign has tried to encourage larger contributions. "We have two choices: We need more donations or we need people to give just a bit more than they have before," Faiz Shakir, Mr. Sanders's campaign manager, wrote in an email in the spring.
While Mr. Sanders has a sprawling list of donors nationwide, geographic dominance does not necessarily translate into a cash advantage of the same magnitude. Just as population density differs in urban, suburban and rural areas, the number of people who donate to political campaigns also varies widely based on geography.

Ranking as the top Democrat for individual donors in a densely populated urban area is far different from leading the field in an area where few people are donating to campaigns.

For example, Ms. Warren has more donors in a single ZIP code in Brooklyn than any candidate has in the entire state of Mississippi. Mr. Buttigieg has more donors in a single ZIP code in Washington, D.C., than any candidate has in South Dakota.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
jesus? All I have heard is how Sanders was lagging behind and how he's starving for money but it turns out his donor base is all over the country again? And Buttigieg is funded by rich liberals?

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't follow how sampling for voter preference in swing states, Biden comes out on top but Bernie has a higher portion of people donating to him?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Bernie is gonna be the nominee. I think people didn't expect Biden to bomb as bad as he has, and Harris hasn't done enough to really make a dint either. With the way the debates have played out and Bernie clearly not being short on resources, I think he will pull it off this time.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I said back in the days that people still talked about Ron Paul that campaigning was obviously going to change as a result of the internet. Getting the message out to a wide audience is cheaper than it's ever been. The ability to quash a movement with money is going away, because it doesn't take much money to find an insurgency any more. I have my grouses with Sanders's record, but it's proof that there's no reason that big donors should matter for the sake of movements or elections.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jesus? All I have heard is how Sanders was lagging behind and how he's starving for money but it turns out his donor base is all over the country again? And Buttigieg is funded by rich liberals?
The issue Sanders is running into is a budgeting one. They were clearly expecting to be raising close to their 2016 amounts, were spending w/ that expectation....but they're not getting the expected revenue level.

It's still a lot of money relative to everyone else- but burning a lot of money earlier instead of starting with a leaner operation could be a problem later on.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Bernie has the most individual donors and has raised the most money. What's untrue about that?

It´s true and i am a huge Bernie fan. The point is, judging from some Internet forums and from regular media and polls, it´s hard not to fall for the "Bernie has no chance" trap.

I think donors are a huge indicative of strength, but at the same time i don´t want to dismiss polls. I do have a feeling that many polls might be misleading because they are done over the phone and there are 24 candidates on the list.

Anyways, happy to see that he´s at his best in the rust belt, and i hope he continues at this pace.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said back in the days that people still talked about Ron Paul that campaigning was obviously going to change as a result of the internet. Getting the message out to a wide audience is cheaper than it's ever been. The ability to quash a movement with money is going away, because it doesn't take much money to find an insurgency any more. I have my grouses with Sanders's record, but it's proof that there's no reason that big donors should matter for the sake of movements or elections.
Yeah, but I'm not sure it's a positive development.
Small donors sounds nice and all, but what they all do is get an off-the shelf spam solution online ad platform, and train it on the voter rolls.
This is why you have so many candidates and this how relatively low-profile randos can raise so much money (and this is also why the fundraising mails you're getting often reads like Nigerian scams).
Also, it's a massive upward wealth transfer, like, we're gonna spend about a billion dollars on this primary, and it will be funded by people who are on average way poorer than the people this money is going to.
And by the way, this all trace back to Obama in '08.

I donno, we can argue about whether or not it's better or worse than what was before '08, I don't know that it matters, but I think we really need to stop celebrating this shitshow.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if we people will show up for a true progressive candidate. But nah, let's give the nom to Biden and hand Trump another win.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Hey New York Times, here is a little GIS tip. Don't make the #1 color blue and the #3 color light violet, and then do shades of color to indicate strength.

It looks like shit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It´s true and i am a huge Bernie fan. The point is, judging from some Internet forums and from regular media and polls, it´s hard not to fall for the "Bernie has no chance" trap.

I think donors are a huge indicative of strength, but at the same time i don´t want to dismiss polls. I do have a feeling that many polls might be misleading because they are done over the phone and there are 24 candidates on the list.

Anyways, happy to see that he´s at his best in the rust belt, and i hope he continues at this pace.
Donors are an inverted bell curve in a U shape when you map by ideology. The people in the actual middle politically rarely donate to campaigns. It can measure intensity in the ideological base, but is less good at measuring that w/ the electorate as a whole.
Yeah, but I'm not sure it's a positive development.
Small donors sounds nice and all, but what they all do is get an off-the shelf spam solution online ad platform, and train it on the voter rolls.
This is why you have so many candidates and this how relatively low-profile randos can raise so much money (and this is also why the fundraising mails you're getting often reads like Nigerian scams).
Also, it's a massive upward wealth transfer, like, we're gonna spend about a billion dollars on this primary, and it will be funded by people who are on average way poorer than the people this money is going to.
And by the way, this all trace back to Obama in '08.

I donno, we can argue about whether or not it's better or worse than what was before '08, I don't know that it matters, but I think we really need to stop celebrating this shitshow.
I agree with this. Funding campaigns solely off of the backs of working people doesn't seem like a gigantic positive upgrade to me.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Which low profile randos have that many donors? Donors not money since wealthier people in lower donor amounts wouldn't really speak to your poor wealth transfer / online ad platform spam tactic.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
when does funding cashflow generally peak and what demographic has the longer consistent runway of donations? Interested in projections on how this will change leading up to primary.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which low profile randos have that many donors? Donors not money since wealthier people in lower donor amounts wouldn't really speak to your poor wealth transfer / online ad platform spam tactic.
Look at Mariana Williamson, how did she raise 1.5 mil?
She got 65,000 to toss an average of $20 at her, she probably spammed north of a 100mil people to get that. In online marketing terms, this is not a high conversation rate.

Who are you talking about though? I can't think of a candidate whose average donation is higher than $50 (outside Seth Moulton which is $65).

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Texas is Beto land. If When he doesn't get the presidential nomination, is there a Senate race in Texas he can try for again in 2020 or 22? I feel like he has a better shot next time he tries with more name recognition than ever, and all that fundraising.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
If Bernie wins the mom, it'll definitely start the all rolling. I'd feel like it be a win for the little guy and would really charge the base. It's starting to get really hot in here guys.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You guys have to admit the Sanders vs. Trump debates would be incredible.

I mean, if a cult of personality won for the GOP, then why not fight it with another cult of personality?

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Texas is Beto land. If When he doesn't get the presidential nomination, is there a Senate race in Texas he can try for again in 2020 or 22? I feel like he has a better shot next time he tries with more name recognition than ever, and all that fundraising.

Is it too late for him to drop out of the race to run for 2020 senate?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

I believe Beto only wins in Texas if a Republican Texan isn't running against him in a statewide election.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol the tiny area of support for Harris and Biden

ahahaha the NYT made a make-belief wish-fulfillment map where they got to exclude Bernie

SLAY, KING

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is the candidate who best represents the interests of the working class, and the working class knows it.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Is it too late for him to drop out of the race to run for 2020 senate?
I don't know how it works.

I believe Beto only wins in Texas if a Republican Texan isn't running against him in a statewide election.
Probably.. But if he can keep statewide margins close, he can continue helping the smaller races in his state. And maybe Texas slowly getting purpley-er could help. Maybe after a decade of losses Beto gets in :p

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I'm sure these numbers mean nothing and are probably Russian bots donating to skew the election.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donors are an inverted bell curve in a U shape when you map by ideology. The people in the actual middle politically rarely donate to campaigns. It can measure intensity in the ideological base, but is less good at measuring that w/ the electorate as a whole.

I agree with this. Funding campaigns solely off of the backs of working people doesn't seem like a gigantic positive upgrade to me.
I'm pretty sure these working class people aren't giving him like $1,000 like a day or something.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
What does this mean in the end. I have never (and will never) donate, but I vote in every election. I assume the majority of voters do the same.

Oct 27, 2017
... there is nothing interesting about these charts. When it's weighted by volume, of course Bernie covers it. He has the recognition and mechanics from last time.
All the other color spots are right where you'd expect them to be. Maybe Biden would be expected to do better outside the South, but that's it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
God I hope we get a Sanders / Warren or Warren / Sanders ticket. I'll take either.