• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Mike Heskin, known hacker and dataminer who has worked on a big number of Nintendo Switch hacking projects, has revealed on Twitter a number of details of the upcoming new Nintendo Switch models, as information about them has been in the OS for a long time now.

(Click tweet to view thread)

khAM2EA.jpg

wHJPl8i.jpg

2Fm0sB1.jpg

(Twitter appears to be down right now so I archived the tweets)

Interesting things to notice:
  • Since firmware 5.0 there has been support for three hardware lines, one with the original Tegra 210 and two for the new Tegra 214 (Mariko)
  • Those two hardware lines are Switch Lite and Switch "New".
  • The original Switch has 4GB of RAM and 6GB for the devkit. The new models have support for both 4GB and 8GB of RAM.
  • Both Switch Lite and "New" use LPDDR4X DRAM which grants a small battery boost due to lower voltages.
  • Switch Lite has a smaller screen and non-detachable controllers while "New" Switch should have the exact same form factor.
  • The GPU in the "New" Switch is clocked at higher values than Switch Lite, potentially giving a modest performance boost.
  • Larger than 32GB memory is possible in the "New" units. Two models have been found in the firmware (codenames "Iowa" and "Calcio") and is speculated that one will have more internal storage.
  • There's absolutely no evidence of an actual "Pro" version. At least not in the sense that it would be based off of the Tegra X2 or have massive performance and/or memory improvements.

Considering that Nintendo released firmware 5.0 in March 2018, it will be 18 months between initial support in the OS and actual shipment of the new models, so even if Nintendo were planning to do a real "Pro" upgrade in the future, you shouldn't expect one for at least 18 months.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a second Switch, my current one is running modified firmware and is used for emulators/cheats.

Not sure if I want to go for the Nintendo Lite or a "New' Switch.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Okay this settles it for me. I'm not waiting 18 months for a possible pro model which might not even exist. Looks like I'll get one in the next month or so.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a modest performance boost would be good for handheld play *I'm looking at you Xenoblade 2*

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sounds like neither one is what I'm looking for. I want the form factor of the Lite with TV-out. The OG Switch form factor needs a revision, and the joycons have to go.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would 8gb ram potentially mean higher quality textures? Or would they still be hamstrung by the GPU?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Will wait to see if there's actually any performance increases, because I'm highly doubtful.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Upgrade the wifi chip in every model please.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wonder how modest "modest" really is. I feel like some games would benefit a lot from a modest boost while other games there is obviously no saving.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Modest spec and battery boost was always the realistic scenario so happy to see it gains more weight. Day 1 and can't wait!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well, if this simply allows games like BOTW and Xenoblade 2 to run at a solid 30fps, even with no resolution bump, I'll be trading in my launch switch and buying this.

Can we expect games to just run a little better like I said or no upgrades or more major than just getting things to 30fps? I'm sorta confused about what this is going to actually do over the current switch?

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
The 8 gigs is probably for a revised dev kit and the new switch would have 6 gigs which is a fairly common amount for mobile devices. With OS overhead we should be looking at around 5.2 gigs for games. Not bad at all.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
This is perfectly in line with the recent FCC application. The old Tegra 210-based will be phased out and replaced by the new Mariko-based model, which will keep the form factor of the original Switch and come with a modest spec bump (which Nintendo might advertise or not). There has never been a third "Pro" model that would exist alongside the 2017 Switch and the new Switch Lite.

Good enough for me if this means that the new Switch can handle the Kokiri Forest in BOTW without falling into the single digits.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This doesn't sound too bad. I've been worried about a potential new model getting exclusives but it doesn't sound like this would. I'm fine with better performance but don't fragment the Switch library. Especially with two devices on the market.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Okay this settles it for me. I'm not waiting 18 months for a possible pro model which might not even exist. Looks like I'll get one in the next month or so.

This is the right choice. and even if it exists at the time, it doesn't really mean your enjoyment will be affected because the main device is a solid, lovely piece of hardware.

it is not the case of 3DS at all.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, if this simply allows games like BOTW and Xenoblade 2 to run at a solid 30fps, even with no resolution bump, I'll be trading in my launch switch and buying this.

Can we expect games to just run a little better like I said or no upgrades or more major than just getting things to 30fps? I'm sorta confused about what this is going to actually do over the current switch?
The only thing we really know is that we're not looking at boosts at over 50%. How big the boost is will be speculation until it's confirmed though. It's a tightrope balance between improving battery life and performance. Hopefully devs get to prioritize in some capacity.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
excellent. def in for switch lite. If a switch pro is 2 years away so be it

Mirand

Oct 30, 2017
If true, I will wait for the Digital Foundry analysis before making the leap from my launch Switch.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Sounds like an overclocked Switch OG but with better battery life and won't overheat while docked.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a second Switch, my current one is running modified firmware and is used for emulators/cheats.

Not sure if I want to go for the Nintendo Lite or a "New' Switch.
I think for a lot of people the decision will be helped by considering your percentage split between docked and handheld. If you spend a lot of time handheld you might enjoy the improved form factor. Plus I notice sometimes handheld performance is slightly worse than docked, thanks to the lower res and some settings being toned down (obviously there are examples of the opposite such as Xenoblade), so docked isn't always totally compelling anyway.

For me I'd love the Lite as my emulator Switch, but I doubt it will be hacked for a while!

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Would 8gb ram potentially mean higher quality textures? Or would they still be hamstrung by the GPU?
I mean technically you could do that, however you can also use it to load stuff in faster which is much more likely to happen.
As well as that you have some games that hit the RAM cap hard (like XB2) so this should help a lot in those circumstances.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The 8 gigs is probably for a revised dev kit and the new switch would have 6 gigs which is a fairly common amount for mobile devices. With OS overhead we should be looking at around 5.2 gigs for games. Not bad at all.
It mentions support for both 4gb and 8gb, not 6gb, so switch most likely sticking with 4gb for the consumer version and switch dev kit is getting 8gb revision now

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
This is perfectly in line with the recent FCC application. The old Tegra 210-based will be phased out and replaced by the new Mariko-based model, which will keep the form factor of the original Switch and come with a modest spec bump (which Nintendo might advertise or not). There has never been a third "Pro" model that would exist alongside the 2017 Switch and the new Switch Lite.

Good enough for me if this means that the new Switch can handle the Kokiri Forest in BOTW without falling into the single digits.
Kokiri forest never falls to single figures. It used to hard drop to 20fps. Doesn't do that now.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on the color options I may trade in my OG Switch for a New Switch. Hoping for a GBA Glacier color.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
So this is more Xbox One S than Xbox One X as upgrades go.
Essentially, yes.

Basically all I ever wanted until the eventual Switch 2.

Yup. Overclocked Switch OG have shown some impressive results on games like Doom. Improved resolution and stable 30fps. Even titles like Wolf2 saw resolution clarity. As I expected, Switch revision (call it Pro, New Switch, Switch S or whatever) will be enough to boost resolution of games like Doom from 540p range to 720p and maintain 30fps with improved battery life. Not a bad upgrade, if priced the same as current Switch.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'll have to see how realworld performance pans out, but if the boost is modest enough, I may consider picking up a second Switch and turning my current one into a homebrew/emulation machine.

Jun 2, 2019
A modest increase in clocks and faster memory can do wonders for a device like the Switch, but I don't see Nintendo using that to launch a revision unless it brings something else to the table (Better ergonomy and screen would be nice)

I think I'll stay as I am right now

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
More/better RAM plus clock speed increases was all I wanted. A true "Pro" device would be great, but a lot of games would benefit significantly from even moderate performance improvements.
It mentions support for both 4gb and 8gb, not 6gb, so switch most likely sticking with 4gb for the consumer version and switch dev kit is getting 8gb revision now
Potentially, or 4GB is for the lite and 8GB is for the revision. Doesn't really make sense to increase the dev kit ran by that much, but who knows.

Edit

He seems to have wiped all of his tweets. I wonder if Nintendo went after him.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So perhaps a 2-3 fps boost during Doom's most intensive sections...I'd be curious to see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.