• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Did Nintendo allow Zelda BOTW, a launch title, to run the GPU two notches higher than the high-performance setting in handheld mode? It seems that Nintendo is more interested pushing the system than some may believe.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
These are for the Mini or speculation on what the enhanced Switch will get?

I'd say it was neither. The entire video was just speculation, and it wasn't really specifically about what each model will do. The style of the video was more like "This is what we'd see if [insert change] happened." As far as I could tell, the numbers weren't really linked to the new hardware beyond "this sort of improvement might be possible and this would be the result." At the end of the video, I believe he said he expects the enhanced Switch to see some performance increases. However, it was speculation on his part, and to be honest, I found some of his reasoning to be a little off.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Did Nintendo allow Zelda BOTW, a launch title, to run the GPU two notches higher than the high-performance setting in handheld mode? It seems that Nintendo is more interested pushing the system than some may believe.

I think it's cause BOTW is unoptimized, or rather not built for the hardware. The game was originally a Wii U title. Default handheld mode's power is ever so slightly above what the Wii U can do, but since it was built specifically for the Wii U, they needed more raw power to get it to run on handheld mode.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yah, I think thats the way it is. I'm pretty sure BT audio is not supported out of the box on PS4 and you need some type of adapter.
Yesterday I pulled out my OG PS Vita that I haven't used in 3 years and was amazed that it supports bluetooth audio out of the box. Pairing was instant and there's no latency whatsoever.
So if Sony could do it in 2011/2012, why can't Nintendo do it now? Bluetooth headsets are becoming more and more common with so many phone manufacturers dropping the 3.5mm jack.

ARGH!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I think it's cause BOTW is unoptimized, or rather not built for the hardware. The game was originally a Wii U title. Default handheld mode's power is ever so slightly above what the Wii U can do, but since it was built specifically for the Wii U, they needed more raw power to get it to run on handheld mode.
Yeah, it's kinda annoying seeing BOTW on Switch benchmarked against the Wii U in terms of raw power.

It's a horrible example, a game ported semi quickly that clearly was not optimised for the Switch that well.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Yesterday I pulled out my OG PS Vita that I haven't used in 3 years and was amazed that it supports bluetooth audio out of the box. Pairing was instant and there's no latency whatsoever.
So if Sony could do it in 2011/2012, why can't Nintendo do it now? Bluetooth headsets are becoming more and more common with so many phone manufacturers dropping the 3.5mm jack.

ARGH!

Sure is strange, strange that Sony couldn't do it in 2014/15 when the PS4 was released either. 🤔

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017

ARGH!

The problem is that, unlike Vita, Switch and PS4 already use Bluetooth to connect with the respective joypads. Not sure if it's a technical limitation (I remember reading something about the maximum number of paired devices) or a cost one (they'd probably have to add a separate chip/antenna to deal with audio only) but there IS a reason.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The problem is that, unlike Vita, Switch and PS4 already use Bluetooth to connect with the respective joypads. Not sure if it's a technical limitation (I remember reading something about the maximum number of paired devices) or a cost one (they'd probably have to add a separate chip/antenna to deal with audio only) but there IS a reason.
Probably some latency issues as well, who knows. But yeah, I guess I'm just going to have to live with taking a cable with me or getting an adapter. First world problems... ;)

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It also runs much better than wii u version in handheldmode so i'm glad Nintendo pushed the clocks up to 460mhz for this one. It could still run and look a bit better though. I read the game is more gpu bound on Switch, at least in Korok forest. Pushing gpu clocks to 920mhz lets it run smoothly at around 30fps there (and in other woods). Wolfenstein and Doom are more CPU sensitive it seems, pushing CPU up to around 1,4ghz gets people more stable 30fps and a clearer looking game. I guess clocking the CPU at 1.2-1,4ghz and gpu around 920mhz+ would already be a little but noticable upgrade in docked mode. If the chip runs much cooler in 16nm they could perhaps use the 1,7ghz CPU and 920mhz GPU profile in docked mode or something similiar.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It also runs much better than wii u version in handheldmode so i'm glad Nintendo pushed the clocks up to 460mhz for this one. It could still run and look a bit better though. I read the game is more gpu bound on Switch, at least in Korok forest. Pushing gpu clocks to 920mhz lets it run smoothly at around 30fps there (and in other woods). Wolfenstein and Doom are more CPU sensitive it seems, pushing CPU up to around 1,4ghz gets people more stable 30fps and a clearer looking game. I guess clocking the CPU at 1.2-1,4ghz and gpu around 920mhz+ would already be a little but noticable upgrade in docked mode. If the chip runs much cooler in 16nm they could perhaps use the 1,7ghz CPU and 920mhz GPU profile in docked mode or something similiar.

For the CPU they wouldn't be about to just bump it up in docked mode, it would have to be bumped up in both modes to retain compatibility when switching modes. So I think if they do bump it something like 1.2GHz seems more feasible than 1.4GHz.

Of course it will depend on how high they bump the GPU too (if at all). Ideally they'll offer many more performance modes so developers can use whichever one suits their game the best.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Looking to get my kid a switch sometime between now and Xmas.

Grabbed a few games on prime day.

Is it stupid to wait for a discount and get a current model?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
hi I'm here to collect my shiny penny

Absolutely nothing indicates that this new Switch won't have any higher clock speeds available. Especially in docked mode. So it's too early to collect that penny I'd say.

Also that new Switch might not be the same new Switch as what's discussed in the OP, since the battery one (HAC-001(-01)) doesn't have any change to RAM type, while the one in this OP does.

Dec 23, 2017
Absolutely nothing indicates that this new Switch won't have any higher clock speeds available. Especially in docked mode. So it's too early to collect that penny I'd say.

Also that new Switch might not be the same new Switch as what's discussed in the OP, since the battery one (HAC-001(-01)) doesn't have any change to RAM type, while the one in this OP does.
Yeah Nintendo is stupid. We will get more detail through various sources instead of them saying clocks will be higher.

Oct 25, 2017

Double or nothing on this shiny penny that A) games see no noticeable performance improvement and B) this Switch is the Switch mentioned in the OP. (How do you know this doesn't have a change in RAM type)

I don't mean to make this kind of broad statement to anger, but y'all had your hopes way too high when the evidence didn't suggest anything big.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody will just have to take one of those apart and compare it to the old model. Things like RAM and NAND type should be very easy to find out.

The weird thing is that the model number confirms that this is indeed the device from the FCC application, which lists a change to the NAND storage, but this one still comes with 32Gbyte.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Also interesting is that this model has a new Model number, so it technically isn't the one listed in the FCC, as that one has to keep the same model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.