• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era waiting for the Switch Pro:

11000626.jpg

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No "beefier" / home-console-only version of Switch in 2019 is a big miss for me. Would have filled perfectly the "quiet before the storm" gap in my plans. Next year I will be all about the next generation Playstation, and upgrading my PC. But now I will just fast-track the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Seems like a pretty small difference.

I was hoping an actual Pro would also have a bigger screen (both bezel) and possibly OLED as well as a significant increase in performance (HDR docked, 1080p handheld). This is nothing really.

There was never a "Pro". WSJ articles hinted at a model with "enhanced internals" (technically true, especially give that their source was familiar with production) and they implied it would look the same as the current model (which is in line with a silent revision, not a "Pro" model).

The community took the vague description, assumed it was a Switch Pro, and inflated expectations.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
There was never a "Pro". WSJ articles hinted at a model with "enhanced internals" (technically true, especially give that their source was familiar with production) and they implied it would look the same as the current model (which is in line with a silent revision, not a "Pro" model).

The community took the vague description, assumed it was a Switch Pro, and inflated expectations.

Or, it was given the name Pro for the lack of a better term, same as the Lite which was dubbed Mini. If you actually read the megathread, there were no outlandish expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
Or, it was given the name Pro for the lack of a better term, same as the Lite which was dubbed Mini. If you actually read the megathread, there were no outlandish expectations.

I mean, it was outlandish to give it the "Pro" nickname in the first place. Giving it that nickname evoked expectations of PS4 Pro or One X-style mid-gen performance improvements, whether intentional or not. The article even said something to the effect of "you'd be wrong to assume this is like the Pro or the X".

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The actual community discussing it only used Pro as a nickname since it caught on. Can't really blame us for people not in the know using the term to pour in whatever they dreamed the Switch Pro to actually be.

The Switch Pro we're getting matches up to the rumours very well.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The actual community discussing it only used Pro as a nickname since it caught on. Can't really blame us for people not in the know using the term to pour in whatever they dreamed the Switch Pro to actually be.

The Switch Pro we're getting matches up to the rumours very well.
This is why we have "caution: hot" stickers on things like ovens

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was outlandish to give it the "Pro" nickname in the first place. Giving it that nickname evoked expectations of PS4 Pro or One X-style mid-gen performance improvements, whether intentional or not. The article even said something to the effect of "you'd be wrong to assume this is like the Pro or the X".

You have the standards which lay out exactly when we can deem a product a "Pro" or "X" or "New"?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a second Switch, my current one is running modified firmware and is used for emulators/cheats.

Not sure if I want to go for the Nintendo Lite or a "New' Switch.
For me Lite was a lock-in as second Switch, but then they announced that it wont have TV out. So "New" Switch is a no-brainer for me.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
There won't be any Pro, move on with your lives guys
While its not a Pro, I'm not gonna buy a Switch until this is out. Stupid to base purchases on rumor and hearsay? Sure. But 300€ is 300€ of disposable income I won't spend twice or even thrice for years, and I want to have the best available product at that time. The only issue is that this year is the year I NEED to but a Switch not just want, FE/Luigi's Mansion/LoZ:LA/Pokemon are must haves and Pokemon especially is something I always get into Day 1.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I was hoping an actual Pro would also have a bigger screen (both bezel) and possibly OLED as well as a significant increase in performance (HDR docked, 1080p handheld). This is nothing really.

It was always rumored to be a small difference. This is the pro that was rumored.

The pro that was promised.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and some games that really push the system by using every last scrap of memory available currently do not support video. Warframe comes to mind
Understood. Some extra RAM might solve that, so we'll see what happens :)

Xbone also has GDDR5 RAM vs xbone base GDDR3. Much faster
Thats also a good point.

Yeah it is used as a ramdisk by some games apparently, so you can have gigs worth of files in the extra memory that you don't need to go to the HDD for. That's if you're not using the extra memory for higher definition assets etc.
Understood. Seems like a good addition with the extra RAM.

Thanks for the answer everyone.

EDIT: By the way, how does the PS4 Pro do it regarding higher resolution textures when it doesnt have more RAM (for games) than a normal PS4?

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Do you believe there will be performance improvements with this model? I'd bet you a shiny penny there aren't, outside of battery life 😉 . Though I'd be fairly happy if there will be a Boost Mode, similar to PS4 Pro.
www.eurogamer.net

Switch's 'boost mode' tested: what is it and how does it work?

Let's get straight to the point - Switch is indeed evolving and in select scenarios, Nintendo's hardware is becoming mo…

Again with the overlapping terms.

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
problem is our expectations for a pro model are now quite high after all the rumors. and this looks like a minor revision that doesn't even warrant a new FCC filing, just an update. so we're basically in denial and hoping there is a real "Pro" coming out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
problem is our expectations for a pro model are now quite high after all the rumors. and this looks like a minor revision that doesn't even warrant a new FCC filing, just an update. so we're basically in denial and hoping there is a real "Pro" coming out.

Which rumors presented high expectations for a pro? Nearly every rumor about the enhanced model made sure to mention it would not be a big boost.

I don't understand how expectations were so high. This is the rumored device, there's really no question about it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Okay can we just call it the Switch S so there's no argument regards "if it's only X% better than it's not a Pro" we're still dealing with some hardware changes and the Xbox One S seems to fit that description. Say the added efficiency gets the GPU to 921Mhz (similar to hacked Switchs) or even 1Ghz that's still a leap. Over what the OG Switch can safely handle.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you believe there will be performance improvements with this model? I'd bet you a shiny penny there aren't, outside of battery life 😉 . Though I'd be fairly happy if there will be a Boost Mode, similar to PS4 Pro.
I don't know if there will be a proper boost mode but I'm sure all games will be able to run better on this device. For some the difference might be small and other games might be able to hit that consistent 30 fps or not drop below 720p or such.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because I would happily upgrade to a Switch XL with a better screen even though I play 90% docked

We don't know if the screen will be better or not. It'll probably be brighter and more efficient, they mentioned that might be one of the upgrades early on.

But it's not gonna be bigger or higher res.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Can I just get a confirmation from someone because I feel like I know what's going on.... but then I see some comments that make me double take.

• WSJ said 2 models are coming lite and a "enhanced edition model"
  • Eurogamer confirmed and said the upgrade like 3DS
  • Another insider said "Pro existed for a while now"
  • After the lite announcement, Emily reconfirmed revision and said "probably" later this year with 2 new colors
  • And Mochi (wsj) said after the lite ... "I will get the other one"

So the revision/"new" model reportedly coming for this year is the "enhanced model" right?

Their is no evidence from a legitimate source saying anything else is coming...correct

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can I just get a confirmation from someone because I feel like I know what's going on.... but then I see some comments that make me double take.

• After the lite announcement, Emily reconfirmed revision and said "probably" later this year with 2 new colors

So the revision/"new" model reportedly coming for this year is the "enhanced model" right?

Their is no evidence from a legitimate source saying anything else is coming...correct
Yeah, there's no source for anything else coming. It might be coming, or it might not, we don't really know.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Its always funny when people expect OLED from Nintendo 🤭

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

It's not completely clear but it doesn't seem like there is anything else being talked about.

This is definitely what the WSJ was talking about though.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there will be a proper boost mode but I'm sure all games will be able to run better on this device. For some the difference might be small and other games might be able to hit that consistent 30 fps or not drop below 720p or such.

I hope you're right. I might buy if there's any discernible improvement but my gut feeling is that there won't be.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Have we determined what modest gpu bump even means. Did whoever it was just outright tell people the new clocks?

Still hoping he meant modest bump for docked mode. The new model could probably run docked clocks while portable and still maintain a similar battery life if the efficiency curve is nearly identical to X2 (which I'd assume it is or better since X2 is basically already a 16nm X1 with double the bus width).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have we determined what modest gpu bump even means. Did whoever it was just outright tell people the new clocks?

Still hoping he meant modest bump for docked mode. The new model could probably run docked clocks while portable and still maintain a similar battery life if the efficiency curve is nearly identical to X2 (which I'd assume it is or better since X2 is basically already a 16nm X1 with double the bus width).
Yea modest can mean different things to different people, wish he would just say what the clock speed was

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
Which rumors presented high expectations for a pro? Nearly every rumor about the enhanced model made sure to mention it would not be a big boost.

I don't understand how expectations were so high. This is the rumored device, there's really no question about it.
the rumors that said the capability of the machine would be enhanced "for avid gamers". at most it'll just be a slight improvement in frame rate on existing games and a slightly higher clock speed will be available. it's just a standard revision, nothing pro about it.

while they didn't say anything specific about the improvements, it's easy to take the rumors out of context, and using the name "pro" makes it worse because you immediately start thinking about the ps4 pro which is a much bigger change.

im sure you didn't think that there would be a big difference, and that's great for you, but i'm of the opinion that most people thought this revision would be a bigger jump.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Digital foundry says the clock speed isn't increased in the enhanced switched

Maybe they missed what was said in the op here or they got their own source that knows the speed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.