• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Sorry, I edited my original post, but not fast enough. The way hackers do it is through overriding the games built in profiles. Nintendo can do this too, but it'd be a bad idea to do this as a blanket approach. Developers built their game with their profiles in mind, and while most games will probably work fine, it could have unexpected consequences without it being tested beforehand. Nintendo isn't going to have every dev of it's more than 2000 games test before releasing the system, so I just don't see them overriding the defaults of the base model.

Ideally, Nintendo will have an option to enable it like the PS4 Pro does for non-enhanced games, but Nintendo hasn't been known to support things like this with previous models (neither DSi or New 3DS had built in options to do so despite hackers having the ability to force it).
I see, although nothing precludes them from adding more performance profiles.

There's a lot of those as I've been led to believe.

At any rate, even if they don't make use of extra juice, I suppose we can still expect some good battery life bump from this.

This is not the midgen upgrade some were hoping for, but it will be better than what it's replacing one way or another.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know I've thought about that as well. By March, all their heavy hitter IPs are already out. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc. On one hand, it's a good thing, because it means the system has a great catalog. But you also have to wonder what they have in store going forward if they've already burned through new titles on their major IPs.

And at this point I don't think we're getting a Switch Pro. I think they'll go straight to a Switch 2 in 2021-2022.

I think it's a problem that's kinda inherent in their sales model ... they have to exert so much energy just to get the userbase to a certain level in the first few years, that by the 2nd half of the system product cycle they're basically out of new system selling IP.

I thought adopting the Pro model setup that Sony and MS use would actually help Nintendo most of all because they need that mid-gen second wind more than Sony or MS do. Sony or MS can just sit back and let 3rd parties release AAA game one after another for 6-7 years without much fuss.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd gladly upgrade my switch if it they apply all the energy savings from die shrink, LPDDR4X to battery life. I can dream of 5 hours + standard. (Expect 4 standard vs 3 Lite and 2.5 OG)
i may upgrade as well if the savings go to increased battery life (at least a full hour). a couple of extra frames here and there won't make me upgrade tho.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
So when can we expect these newer model to come out? I'm assuming Nintendo won't announce it and just pretend it's the same console.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Sounds like small updates to the internals to help with costs, running temperatures and a few fixes, all the usual suspects we get with the early hardware revisions.
My guess is the biggest physical difference will be in the revised joycons, which I reckon will use that Switch Lite style D-Pad on the left side controller. Hopefully they will be fully compatible with the Model 1 Switch and will be sold separately. It would make sense, I think the last batch of separate Joycons released were the yellow "Arms" variants?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If 720p games are now 900p and frame rates have smoothed out a little and it has 1 hr more battery I'll take one

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The question i have is if games will support this boost and if older games will have some sort of boost mode?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So when can we expect these newer model to come out? I'm assuming Nintendo won't announce it and just pretend it's the same console.
If they're looking to advertise these as either "new 64GB storage model!" or even just "new, Octarine coloured edition!" it's a good bet it will be out in time for the sales run-up to the holidays.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The question i have is if games will support this boost and if older games will have some sort of boost mode?

Depends on how much Nintendo wants to differentiate this model from the 2017 Switch, IMO. If they want to merely sneak this one out and replace OG Switch, maybe no boost mode at all. If they want to encourage current owners to upgrade boost-mode is a fantastic bullet point.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
You know I've thought about that as well. By March, all their heavy hitter IPs are already out. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc. On one hand, it's a good thing, because it means the system has a great catalog. But you also have to wonder what they have in store going forward if they've already burned through new titles on their major IPs.

And at this point I don't think we're getting a Switch Pro. I think they'll go straight to a Switch 2 in 2021-2022.

I wonder if a Switch 2 would need to hit 1080p in handheld and 4K at home to be seen as a necessary successor.

I know nothing when it comes to tech but I imagine it will take longer than a few years before we that is viable.

Personally I hope they make a Switch 2 rather than reinvent the wheel again.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Call it the Switch XL, make the screen slightly bigger because of the bezel being reduced, keep the 4310mah battery, phase out the OG Switch.

Switch XL and Switch Lite are your two devices until Switch 2 or whatever it's successor is called is released.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

Sometime between now and Christmas if the FCC application is anything to go by. There are documents in that application that are "short term confidential", which means that the FCC won't make them available for 6 months, so we can expect the newer model to come out before that deadline expires.

Sometime between late August and early October seems realistic considering that they want to have these things in the wild before the Christmas shopping period comes around.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is not necessarily true with dynamic resolution or framerate.
Not sure what you're getting at. Games use profiles to set their processor and GPU speeds on the Switch (both docked and portable) and different games use different ones with different clocks on both CPU and GPU than others. This is 100% how it works. Nintendo can apply an override at a system level (this is how hackers do it after all) but it doesn't make sense to do so on a blanket level when there are over 2000 games on the system and there is always the chance that doing so can break a game for whatever reason and it seems unlikely that Nintendo will be wanting to test every game them self.

An option to force it ala PS4 Pro is a way that Nintendo can do it for sure, but I doubt we're going to see it as it's a very non-nintendo like option. Especially since this is not a "pro" model, this is a stop gap between the launch system which had battery life and security issues and whatever Nintendo has in mind for the next gen switch.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yep, like I said in the other thread, its basically Switch2019. However, LPDDR4x and a die shrink AND the bigger battery means that this will have a significant battery life update, we should be talking upwards of 5hr minimum compared to the 3hrs of the original model. That warrants a proper announcement and marketing. Definitely gonna wait to buy this.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Will this model still rock a 720p screen? It'll be weird that the Switch mini gets a 1080p panel, but the regular Switch still using a 720p screen.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be weird that the Switch mini gets a 1080p panel, but the regular Switch still using a 720p screen.
Switch Lite will still use a 720p screen, there is nothing to suggest this model won't also use a 720p screen.

Maybe you heard someone say that he Switch Lite will have better pixel density? Same pixels with a smaller screen is higher pixel density and the better the image quality will appear... but it's the same resolution regardless.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I edited my original post, but not fast enough. The way hackers do it is through overriding the games built in profiles. Nintendo can do this too, but it'd be a bad idea to do this as a blanket approach. Developers built their game with their profiles in mind, and while most games will probably work fine, it could have unexpected consequences without it being tested beforehand. Nintendo isn't going to have every dev of it's more than 2000 games test before releasing the system, so I just don't see them overriding the defaults of the base model.

Ideally, Nintendo will have an option to enable it like the PS4 Pro does for non-enhanced games, but Nintendo hasn't been known to support things like this with previous models (neither DSi or New 3DS had built in options to do so despite hackers having the ability to force it).
It would be rare for hardware clock increases to cause game instability, that would be abnormal, and at worst would only be an issue for games that are locked at a certain res/fps. Anything already utilizing dynamic ranges for res or fps would not be impacted. Ultimately Nintendo could very easily just make it an opt-in type thing, as the vast majority of games don't really need the clock speed boosts anyway. Additionally, given that the Mariko has been around and known about for well over a year, developers are assuredly already in the know about this revision.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Will this model still rock a 720p screen? It'll be weird that the Switch mini gets a 1080p panel, but the regular Switch still using a 720p screen.
The Lite is absolutely not getting a 1080p. It's 720p.

This is almost certainly also going to stay 720p. Plenty of games don't even hit 720p in handheld mode, and these changes aren't likely to have such a huge impact on that that 1080p handheld is anywhere close to a reality. Y'alll really clamouring to play 720p or lower content on a 1080p panel?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So will they just phase out regular Switch and the New version is just the standard afterward?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they are using a 1080p panel my guess would be the purpose is really for VR applications and expanding those on Switch. Maybe Labo VR was just a testing ground and they plan to perhaps release a more official VR head mount for the Switch.

If that's the case, then a 1080p screen makes quite a bit of sense.

It's not like content running at 540p-720p makes a 1080p display melt or something.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would be rare for hardware clock increases to cause game instability, that would be abnormal, and at worst would only be an issue for games that are locked at a certain res/fps. Anything already utilizing dynamic ranges for res or fps would not be impacted. Ultimately Nintendo could very easily just make it an opt-in type thing, as the vast majority of games don't really need the clock speed boosts anyway. Additionally, given that the Mariko has been around and known about for well over a year, developers are assuredly already in the know about this revision.
It has nothing to due with that, it has to do with how back in the day, devs used to use CPU clock as a timer. If you increase the clock, you increase the speed at which the game runs at. It is very rare for that to happen today but you can never rule it out 100%.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to due with that, it has to do with how back in the day, devs used to use CPU clock as a timer. If you increase the clock, you increase the speed at which the game runs at. It is very rare for that to happen today but you can never rule it out 100%.
It's not even necessarily back in the day. There are plenty of NES/SNES/N64 games that you can play over clocked (most emulators have at least a hidden option for it somewhere) and still work fine. It's all about how a game is built and tested. If a game is built with only a specific hardware or environment in mind, making the game run outside of it always leaves it open to the possibility of unexpected results.

While games on Switch are going to be built taking different clocks into perspective simply because of dock/portable modes, it doesn't mean they planned or tested all of them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sounds like neither one is what I'm looking for. I want the form factor of the Lite with TV-out. The OG Switch form factor needs a revision, and the joycons have to go.
VnQ2CNW.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, that's what I was trying to get at. No one is designing games around CPU speed or tying framerates to design logic anymore, outside of a few cases over the last decade. If there were to be such a case though it would be those that are locked at a specific FPS though, not a variable FPS. Maybe I'm off base with that though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks for the replies. I'm cautiously excited as BOTW and Xenoblade 2 are some of my favorite games ever and if they can get me to 30FPS, I'm golden :)

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a problem that's kinda inherent in their sales model ... they have to exert so much energy just to get the userbase to a certain level in the first few years, that by the 2nd half of the system product cycle they're basically out of new system selling IP.

I thought adopting the Pro model setup that Sony and MS use would actually help Nintendo most of all because they need that mid-gen second wind more than Sony or MS do. Sony or MS can just sit back and let 3rd parties release AAA game one after another for 6-7 years without much fuss.

Honestly Nintendo's best option here is to release a Switch 2 in 2021 and begin the cycle again... but this time provide full BC with Switch and, hopefully, ramp up their online offerings (NES, SNES, GC, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Yep, like I said in the other thread, its basically Switch2019. However, LPDDR4x and a die shrink AND the bigger battery means that this will have a significant battery life update, we should be talking upwards of 5hr minimum compared to the 3hrs of the original model. That warrants a proper announcement and marketing. Definitely gonna wait to buy this.

That's good enough for me to warrant an upgrade. My left launch Joy-Con has started to drift, so upgrading for a new set/warranty will be a no-brainer (unless they cheap out on the display).

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Sounds good to me, I was worried it was only going to increase battery life with no power boost

There is practically no power boat. The Twitter guy in op is very clear about that.

Where can all 2-3 more frames in Doom and higher resolution in BotW assumptions came from? Practically there will be no difference other than a bit better battery life.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Correct, that's what I was trying to get at. No one is designing games around CPU speed or tying framerates to design logic anymore, outside of a few cases over the last decade. If there were to be such a case though it would be those that are locked at a specific FPS though, not a variable FPS. Maybe I'm off base with that though.
Here's the thing about using the phrase "no one would do silly thing X" with regards to software developers, especially not necessarily super experienced ones (and there's a ton of indie content on the Switch)

and I say this as a software developer

there is always someone stupid and/or clueless enough to do exactly X

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
What did the article actually say?
I'm not a subscriber but
Here is The Verge's take on the article

Three models: Original Switch, Switch Lite, 'New Switch'

Here is the resetera thread. Note this isn't the first report, the.original.reporting was from late 2018

WSJ said:
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.

People involved in the supply chain said production in Southeast Asia has started for the Switch, including the current type and the two new models, suggesting Nintendo is getting ready to introduce them soon. They didn't give specific volume figures but said Nintendo wanted to have enough units to sell in the U.S., the largest market for videogame consoles, when the new products go on the market.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Metroid, Kid Icarus, New IPs (like the Fantasy Monolith game), revitalising old IPs. No other company holds so many old and new well known IPs, they have many options available.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is practically no power boat. The Twitter guy in op is very clear about that.

Where can all 2-3 more frames in Doom and higher resolution in BotW assumptions came from? Practically there will be no difference other than a bit better battery life.
He just said it has higher clocks than the switch lite that's a power boost, big or small it's still more power

Status
Not open for further replies.