• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how modest "modest" really is. I feel like some games would benefit a lot from a modest boost while other games there is obviously no saving.
Yeah, I was thinking that even a relatively mediocre GPU frequency boost, along with the increased ram, could potentially yield more than 20% performance increases in some games with unlocked frame rates, which would honestly be a big experience changer, but then I'm just spitballing here really.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
In which percentage the performance could improve if the original Switch chip go from 20 nm to a 16 NM process? I'm hoping the new models could improve a little bit some games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
More/better RAM plus clock speed increases was all I wanted. A true "Pro" device would be great, but a lot of games would benefit significantly from even moderate performance improvements.

Potentially, or 4GB is for the lite and 8GB is for the revision. Doesn't really make sense to increase the dev kit ran by that much, but who knows.

Dream killers, the lot of you.

But for realsy, why increase the devkit to 8GB of RAM?

Maybe developers asked nintendo to bump the devkit ram to add in more debug software.
Having double the ram only on one switch and not the other when the rest of their specs are almost exactly the same sounds pointless

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
More/better RAM plus clock speed increases was all I wanted. A true "Pro" device would be great, but a lot of games would benefit significantly from even moderate performance improvements.

Potentially, or 4GB is for the lite and 8GB is for the revision. Doesn't really make sense to increase the dev kit ran by that much, but who knows.

Edit

He seems to have wiped all of his tweets. I wonder if Nintendo went after him.
Twitter is down.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I was expecting. Now I just need to know when the bloody thing is coming out! I lost my OG Switch!!

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
They're not doubling the RAM of the Switch. Every game made for Switch has to run on the original system too, it wouldn't be worth it to go the extra mile and make special enhancements for an 8GB RAM Switch. The only enhancement you should expect is a slight upgrade in CPU/GPU power.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're not doubling the RAM of the Switch. Every game made for Switch has to run on the original system too, it wouldn't be worth it to go the extra mile and make special enhancements for an 8GB RAM Switch. The only enhancement you should expect is a slight upgrade in CPU/GPU power.
We all know that 8GB RAM upgrade would be for the OS so they can do absolutely nothing with it.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A modest increase in clocks and faster memory can do wonders for a device like the Switch, but I don't see Nintendo using that to launch a revision unless it brings something else to the table (Better ergonomy and screen would be nice)

I think I'll stay as I am right now
This revision comes from moving to a newer chipset. I think Switch is the only device really using Tegra X1 now.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
The added support for 8GB RAM in combination with the removal of the support for 6GB is a bit weird though. I cannot see Nintendo doubling the RAM in the retail unit either (it's Nintendo for Christ's sake), but then again why go from 6GB to 8GB in the devkit in the first place?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That seems fine, I don't understand why they would create a better performing model just yet. Other quality of life upgrades would be nice like better wifi, Bluetooth for headphones and better battery life. Also making the joycons and console feel more sturdy in handheld mode.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So, why change the DevKit to 8GB from 6GB?

The current Switch uses 2x 2GB Samsung memory modules. The Dev Kits, obviously, had 3x. So Nintendo was able to just focus on buying 2GB modules and maximized their volume discount.

My bet is they've switched the Lite and the "new" revised Switch to use 1x 4GB module. With density increases etc, the prices on modules drop over time, so it's probably now cheaper than 2 smaller modules. That leaves them with either: continuing to buy a vastly reduced amount of 2GB modules for the additional DevKit RAM, but now they're paying a lot more per 2GB module because they build a lot of DevKits, OR just buy a ton of 4GB modules, maximize their volume discount, put 1 in consumer Switches & 2 in the DevKits. No dev ever complained about more RAM anyways.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I hope they boost CPU clocks because that's where Switch lags when it comes to frame-pacing issues in taxing games like DOOM.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is pretty much as expected and what we've already known about but I would take some of it with a grain of salt as it still is full of assumption and speculation over amount of memory and clock speeds for a retail version.

Also stating not to expect a pro for at least another 18 months is speculation at best too. That's trying to find a pattern out of one occasion.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the Switch Pro I feel like for me lol. I guess it's how you define "pro", which can be different for each person.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
So I am confused. Is this the "Pro" model that was leaked or is this a completely different thing?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So how does Nintendo advertise this?

They can't boost RAM, upgrade CPU, and update storage without informing customers that this Switch product differs from the OG unit

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that the "New" Switch also has some other improvements that we haven't heard about or can't be found through the OS, like Joy-cons with stronger antennas that don't desync or drop inputs if you so much as just stare at them, or that don't drift.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So I am confused. Is this the "Pro" model that was leaked or is this a completely different thing?
Yes, this is the "Pro" model that was leaked. The original sources like WSJ never called it a Pro model, but an "Enhanced Switch". The Pro designation came from fans, and it turned to be an inaccurate way to describe it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the pro model rumors seemed very un-Nintendo like. The only time they really pulled anything like that was the new 3DS that I recall. And that wasn't even that big of a push.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They can't boost RAM, upgrade CPU, and update storage without informing customers that this Switch product differs from the OG unit
It's a Switch +. It will replace the current Switch. Probably come with different colored Joycons to differentiate it.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP. I fully accomplished that.... yup... I don't know what's going on... so there's no Pro Switch? There is a future Pro Switch? Current Switch units being upgraded through software? What did I just read?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This model is closer to what the new 3DS was to the 3DS and not the PS4 Pro to the PS4. It's a replacement more than an extra 'enthusiast' model.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I will wait for details from digital foundry and other outlets to see what kind of boost we are talking about. If it's very modest I'll stick to my OG Switch. But if it's something more I may upgrade if there is a decent deal.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I read the OP. I fully accomplished that.... yup... I don't know what's going on... so there's no Pro Switch? There is a future Pro Switch? Current Switch units being upgraded through software? What did I just read?
There is no Pro Switch.

The "Pro" Switch that was leaked is just a refresh with newer components for the original model. Same form factor, slightly better GPU/CPU/battery, but no noticeable graphical improvements.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I think they advertise the storage bump to put some distance between it and the lite. Plus do a few game bundles for christmas

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
This model is closer to what the new 3DS was to the 3DS and not the PS4 Pro to the PS4. It's a replacement more than an extra 'enthusiast' model.

New 3DS was a much more significant upgrade (3x CPU clock frequency and twice as much RAM with double the memory bandwidth). We're not getting a jump like that here. It would also be kind of pointless to be honest. I mean, how many actual titles took advantage of the higher specs of the New 3DS? A modest spec bump leading to more stable framerates and resolutions in demanding titles makes much more sense here.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
New 3DS CPU boost was pretty substantial, I don't know why people keep saying this.

There's a reason why Xenoblade 3D was limited to New 3DS.
New 3DS was a much more significant upgrade (3x CPU clock frequency and twice as much RAM with double the memory bandwidth). We're not getting a jump like that here. It would also be kind of pointless to be honest. I mean, how many actual titles took advantage of the higher specs of the New 3DS? A modest spec bump leading to more stable framerates and resolutions in demanding titles makes much more sense here.

I was talking in terms of it being a replacement for an OG Switch not how much more power it has.

Oct 27, 2017
This should put to rest the Pro rumors right? The switch was never going to get a New 3DS level boost 2 years in.

This sounds much more like Xbox One to One S.

My guess is the CPU is boosted a bit and OG switch will be updated to use the boosted speed but only docked and portable performance remains the base.

Hopefully they use the added CPU power, however small, to finally bring over more classic games like n64, the Cube and wii Shield games

I am 100% interested in a "New" Switch even if it is the same. LPDDR4X alone should give it a battery life bump right?

TLDR. Buy a switch lite or switch whenever you want, a Pro with huge changes isn't coming soon. You could die tomorrow folks, might as well play these games in their prime rather than waiting imo

senj

Nov 6, 2017

I don't think they do.

Maybe it launches with increased internal storage. Maybe it's a fully stealth revision that just changes the internals; the SNES got like 6 of those in its day. Chips removed, clocks tweaked, but no change to the externals or marketing.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The 8 gigs is probably for a revised dev kit and the new switch would have 6 gigs which is a fairly common amount for mobile devices. With OS overhead we should be looking at around 5.2 gigs for games. Not bad at all.
This isn't happening. The model being released will not have additional ram. Support for 8GB is almost certainly just for dev kits. "new" switch will contain 4GB just like current switch. You'll have to wait till the next model for anything beyond the slightest boosts.
Thats what i want to know

They will release a small revision then
"New" switch is this updated base model. People are saying this is like Xbox S over OG, I'd say this is even less than that. It sounds more like a typical cost saving revision only with the security flaws mostly worked out.

Like how later PS4 slims are slightly quieter due to having more power efficient parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.