• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no Pro Switch.

The "Pro" Switch that was leaked is just a refresh with newer components for the original model. Same form factor, slightly better GPU/CPU/battery, but no noticeable graphical improvements.

Okay I follow now. Does the Switch Lite have those improved components? I know it has s better battery life but if it has the rest of the improvements trading in or selling my current Switch is a no brainer for that Pokémon theme Switch Lite.

Also thanks for the response.

Oct 27, 2017
I read the OP. I fully accomplished that.... yup... I don't know what's going on... so there's no Pro Switch? There is a future Pro Switch? Current Switch units being upgraded through software? What did I just read?
This is the Xbox One S of Switch models. ONe S got a minor GPU bump. It improves performance in small ways in some games, but this will not be New 3DS/DSi/GBC level upgrade because it won't have anything exclusive outside of unadvertised minor performance boosts in some games.

It may have the Lite's improved battery life. It will also be harder to hack from what I understand

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't happening. The model being released will not have additional ram. Support for 8GB is almost certainly just for dev kits. "new" switch will contain 4GB just like current switch. You'll have to wait till the next model for anything beyond the slightest boosts.

"New" switch is this updated base model. People are saying this is like Xbox S over OG, I'd say this is even less than that. It sounds more like a typical cost saving revision only with the security flaws mostly worked out.

Like how later PS4 slims are slightly quieter due to having more power efficient parts.
Based on what information.
WSJ is reporting 3 models.with an enhanced version

Your scenario.is 2.models with a lite and a revision

Oct 27, 2017
This will be more like a Quality of Life upgrade, not a PS4 Pro. Think New 3DS: they advertised first and foremost the faster OS and browser, better DL speed, improved cameras, super stable 3D. Switch "Pro" will have a better battery life, hopefully some upgrade to the OS (e.g.: with the ability to record more than 30s), maybe a bigger screen. It will likely offer a more stable performance to games like Xenoblade 2, helping them to target a certain framerate/resolution. But I really don't think we will be able to play portable Mario or docked Zelda at 1080p.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Could switch lite have similar performance to the normal switch docked with this Mariko chip? It's ok to tell me if I'm asking something dumb lol

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they do.

Maybe it launches with increased internal storage. Maybe it's a fully stealth revision that just changes the internals; the SNES got like 6 of those in its day. Chips removed, clocks tweaked, but no change to the externals or marketing.
Yeah just like the New iPad in 2018 that went from A8 processor to A10 processor, retained 2GB RAM, screen, flash memory, etc. Will be just called the Nintendo Switch

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the Xbox One S of Switch models. ONe S got a minor GPU bump. It improves performance in small ways in some games, but this will not be New 3DS/DSi/GBC level upgrade because it won't have anything exclusive outside of unadvertised minor performance boosts in some games.

It may have the Lite's improved battery life. It will also be harder to hack from what I understand

Got'cha! And thanks for the explanation!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The only thing we really know is that we're not looking at boosts at over 50%. How big the boost is will be speculation until it's confirmed though. It's a tightrope balance between improving battery life and performance. Hopefully devs get to prioritize in some capacity.

Will games that have subpar performance just automatically run better on this new model or will old games have to be manually updated to take advantage?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see the colors. I wished the colors would leak if this is coming in September, but Switch Lite colors didn't leak I think? Maybe the turquoise did

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will games that have subpar performance just automatically run better on this new model or will old games have to be manually updated to take advantage?

Probably depends on the game. I'd imagine games with dynamic resolution and framerate will take advantage because they are coded to improve if the resources are there.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's a Switch +. It will replace the current Switch. Probably come with different colored Joycons to differentiate it.
The same way Sony advertises PS4 Slim and Microsoft does Xbone S

Or more appropriately, how they did with XL.
I think they advertise the storage bump to put some distance between it and the lite. Plus do a few game bundles for christmas
I don't think they do.

Maybe it launches with increased internal storage. Maybe it's a fully stealth revision that just changes the internals; the SNES got like 6 of those in its day. Chips removed, clocks tweaked, but no change to the externals or marketing.

Yeah, this is interesting.

If they decide to announce new OG Switch colors similar to the Lite, Im totally game for that as well.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty happy with this, and console manufacturers already have a history of making tiny revisions under the hood without releasing completely new hardware. In a couple years when the Switch is beyond mid-life we can see a proper update like the New 3DS (with better branding, hopefully). This also prevents existing Switch owners from feeling too shafted since the upgrade is relatively modest and probably won't be felt by the majority of the audience.

Diehard Nintendo fans might feel a bit shafted that they're using a very slightly under-powered and inefficient SoC, but devs are going to target the base spec seriously in any case. In fact, with the Lite coming along, handheld performance and image quality will become even more of a priority than it already is, so we may actually see better optimization across all Switch hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what information.
WSJ is reporting 3 models.with an enhanced version

Your scenario.is 2.models with a lite and a revision
WSJ could have easily mistaken the original model, with production briefly overlapping with the refreshed Switch and Switch Lite, for this. These are the three models: Lite, Refresh, OG.

Or there are three Lite colors and supposedly two Refresh Switch colors.

I assume this refreshed switch starts shipping this summer, 9/20 at the latest with no mention of the change by Nintendo a la internal PS4 changes in the past

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got'cha! And thanks for the explanation!
The user who responded you really downplays the potential performance improvements. We really don't know any specifics here, except Nintendo has a lot of room to improve battery life and/or performance. If a mode is available to fully focus on performance the improvement can be significant, but even at lower levels we're talking about letting games hit that consistent 30 fps or hit 720p more consistently or such. Key thing is that all games should perform better on this Switch: just that it will be more noticable on some over others.

I assume this refreshed switch starts shipping this summer, 9/20 at the latest with no mention of the change by Nintendo a la internal PS4 changes in the past

There is absolutely no way this doesn't get properly announced. We're talking higher internal storage, new colors, better battery life, higher performance. Do you think they will just be on the shelves one day?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hoped for some increased hardware power to enable new things such as twitch streaming, youtube/others able to stay in background, improved comms (chat/voice chat) without any tax on original performance. Any chance this hardware could be able to do this if Nintendo wanted to?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how modest "modest" really is. I feel like some games would benefit a lot from a modest boost while other games there is obviously no saving.
Reading the tweets, it appears that the performance boost is an incidental side effect of moving to the new, secured SoCs and new RAM. So, I'll compare it with the performance boost of the Xbox One S vs the vanilla Xbox One: measurable, but won't make a functional difference to the gameplay.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Undocked performance in the new switch might kick ass, that's the only major upgrade I think is plausible.

(E: and 64 gb)

senj

Nov 6, 2017
At this point, I'm just hoping the fan is able to run quieter in docked mode.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo can do as they please but I think they are going to be in for a rude awakening in the second half of the Switch's product cycle if they don't have a legit Pro model.

By March of next year they're going to have spent basically all their top IP and making sequels to Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW is not going to provide the same kind of sales boost since you're basically now just selling to the same audience that's already there.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games with unlocked framerate / resolution shouldn't need a patch pretty sure. Maybe games not hitting the target won't need one either.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds in line with what I was expecting: a new Switch revision, rather than a Switch Pro. At best you might get PSP-style boosts in performance from when it had its clock speed limiter removed, but even then I'm not sure I'd expect many games to take advantage of it unless that performance bump can somehow be backported to the original Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will have to be fully revealed if it has a new name... like Switch + or Switch Plus or whatever

Oct 25, 2017
New 3DS was a much more significant upgrade (3x CPU clock frequency and twice as much RAM with double the memory bandwidth). We're not getting a jump like that here. It would also be kind of pointless to be honest. I mean, how many actual titles took advantage of the higher specs of the New 3DS? A modest spec bump leading to more stable framerates and resolutions in demanding titles makes much more sense here.
For some reason, tons of eShop shovelware are New3DS only.

On retail, besides Xenoblade the two games that are worth mentioning are the Warriors titles (Zelda and Fire Emblem). The framerate difference is big. Other games like the later Monster Hunter games have better loading/more stable framerate but the difference isn't that huge.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy there is no big Pro Switch. No point since all games have to support OG portable mode. At best we would realistically get 600-800GFs knowing Nintendo. Small performance boosts are nice for this but no need to make it New 3DS Big with any exclusives since the upgrade is so very small.

And there is no reason to expect Switch 2 until 2022 at the earliest. Forget next gen, this is the company that released a non Hd console during HD era. Nintendo said in 2018 they want Switch gen to last longer than normal which means they are committed to gens still and have a successor timeline that stretches into 2022-23

I'd rather not have semi-upgraded exclusives like New 3DS and instead wait for a Switch 2 in 2022-23 with 8GB+ (hopefully 10-16GB by then), 8 cores @2Ghz+, 2TFs+, 1080p screen (foldable?) on a 3nm or whatever comes after 5nm.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy there is no big Pro Switch. No point since all games have to support OG portable mode. At best we would realistically get 600-800GFs knowing Nintendo. Small performance boosts are nice for this but no need to make it New 3DS Big with any exclusives since the upgrade is so very small.

And there is no reason to expect Switch 2 until 2022 at the earliest. Forget next gen, this is the company that released a non Hd console during HD era. Nintendo said in 2018 they want Switch gen to last longer than normal which means they are committed to gens still and have a successor timeline that stretches into 2022-23

I'd rather not have semi-upgraded exclusives like New 3DS and instead wait for a Switch 2 in 2022-23 with 8GB+ (hopefully 10-16GB by then), 8 cores @2Ghz+, 2TFs+, 1080p screen (foldable?) on a 3nm or whatever comes after 5nm.

lol, 3nm is not happening.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reading the tweets, it appears that the performance boost is an incidental side effect of moving to the new, secured SoCs and new RAM. So, I'll compare it with the performance boost of the Xbox One S vs the vanilla Xbox One: measurable, but won't make a functional difference to the gameplay.
I think it will be comparable to an overclocked Switch.

Except you know, without a battery that runs out much faster and the long-term risks associated with overclocking.

And no no need to hack, I guess.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Portable and PRo models that have been rumored to be coming out this year for so many months now are just the Switch Lite and the OG Switch with a small revision?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That makes way more sense. The way it was worded in the OP had me second-guessing.
It appears that the plan is to switch to 4Gb RAM chips, instead of the 2x2Gb set up they currently have. Devs need more RAM to cover debugging tools etc, and it makes far more economic sense to stick a second 4Gb RAM chip in (Nintendo is buying them in bulk, after all) instead of buying 2Gb RAM chips exclusivity for the dev kits.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think people are still overestimating this by calling it a switch+ or a Xbox S tier upgrade... It really is less than that.

The S added HDR support, 4k output, a slight clock boost to the GPU and a 4K Blu-ray drive as well as cut costs and lowered energy use as well as an SKU with 2TB storage.

This model switch adds a slight clock boost to the GPU (that we don't know if any games will ever take advantage of) and reduced power usage with the option for higher inbuilt storage.

This is when Sony releases a X1XXX revision of a console. The only difference is that we've (as a community) been hyping up this. I tried down playing this, but the final result is looking even more bottomed out than my original downplay.

Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no way this doesn't get properly announced. We're talking higher internal storage, new colors, better battery life, higher performance. Do you think they will just be on the shelves one day?
I guess maybe a press release or YouTube video reveal. Will probably just be new color SKUs.

Maybe standard black (joy cons) instead of grey and a more colorful one. And highlighting the larger storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.