• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
so who's trading their OG switch in for this new model?

Are you guys going to wait and hear impressions or just go for it?
I'm not expecting much in the way of performance differences but if impressions indicate it runs significantly cooler/has a quieter fan, I'm considering it.

My day-one Switch's fan is irritatingly high-pitched.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess docked performance is increased by 25% so we get 500gflops instead of 400 and a 25% increase in battery

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Think I will finally buy a Switch. Was waiting for the Pro model so If this is it, I'm getting it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing about using the phrase "no one would do silly thing X" with regards to software developers, especially not necessarily super experienced ones (and there's a ton of indie content on the Switch)

and I say this as a software developer

there is always someone stupid and/or clueless enough to do exactly X
Of course, I don't disagree, I'm just saying that it would be rare in this day and age to do that. As I said though, it's very easily something they could handle via an opt in basis. It's only a subset of games that really need this, not the multitudes of indie games on the eShop.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like an Xbox One to Xbox One S kind of an update, except with a slight battery boost instead of 4K Bluray support.

Not going to get rid of my launch Switch because I'd love to homebrew it at some point (getting Android and Moonlight on it would be amazing), but this would definitely be the one to get if you don't want the smaller size of the Lite.

Do we know if this is what the rumored "pro" actually is, or is this just tiny improvement to the current model with a more powerful one coming in a year or so?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is practically no power boat. The Twitter guy in op is very clear about that.

Where can all 2-3 more frames in Doom and higher resolution in BotW assumptions came from? Practically there will be no difference other than a bit better battery life.
He is most certainly not clear about that because nobody knows how Nintendo intends to use all the extra juice from the new chip.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is the "Pro" model that was leaked. The original sources like WSJ never called it a Pro model, but an "Enhanced Switch". The Pro designation came from fans, and it turned to be an inaccurate way to describe it.

It's funny, cause the original WSJ quote explicitly said "it's wrong to think of it like the PS4 pro." So naturally we all called it the Pro.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I refuse to get another one until they do a proper Pro version. Even if I have to wait 2 years.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I don't like this title.

"No pro model in sight" is really misleading. This die shrink IS the pro. The revision we have all been discussing for months. That's what this is. Why is there such confusion and misinformation about it? What extra meaning is there attached to the word "pro" that "enhanced Switch" doesn't contain?

Anyway, this is basically what we've all been expecting from this upgrade for a while now. I'm curious how big the performance boost is. I'd guess handheld mode clocks are bumped up a few tiers by default, and maybe a new profile for docked clocks shows up. The more interesting question in my mind now is how Nintendo reveals or markets this. Emily seemed to think it will definitely be announced and debut in at least two colors so it's not going to be a stealth revision.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, cause the original WSJ quote explicitly said "it's wrong to think of it like the PS4 pro." So naturally we all called it the Pro.

Honestly that original whole tweet/report was a gong show. It also implied the "Mini" model wouldn't be anything like a PS Vita depending on how you interpreted it, which was obviously wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the resetera thread. Note this isn't the first report, the.original.reporting was from late 2018

WSJ said:
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.

People involved in the supply chain said production in Southeast Asia has started for the Switch, including the current type and the two new models, suggesting Nintendo is getting ready to introduce them soon. They didn't give specific volume figures but said Nintendo wanted to have enough units to sell in the U.S., the largest market for videogame consoles, when the new products go on the market.

Thanks, To be honest I think I'm a bit lost on what's being argued, is it the difference between revised components and enhanced components?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, To be honest I think I'm a bit lost on what's being argued, is it the difference between revised components and enhanced components?

Emily also reconfirmed it's not a silent update

Okay, so I think it's important to clarify a few things, to avoid my comments getting twisted.

I don't believe this will be a "silent revision".
This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.

I've been reporting on Nintendo news for over ten years, and I've written for multiple publications.
I think I'm in a good-enough position to know what is going on over at Nintendo.

On June 17th, I wrote the following:

• Portable version releasing in September: Confirmed.
  • Multiple colors for the portable Switch: Confirmed.
Based on that quote, do I sound like a person who knows nothing?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If it's a tangible yet still fairly small performance improvement ala "New 3DS" then I'm sold. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to launch hardware that's a significant improvement like the X / Pro.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this could turnaround better performance in some games even by a slim margin it could well be worth getting a newer model. I'll have to see how this plays out.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
  • Larger than 32GB memory is possible in the "New" units. Two models have been found in the firmware (codenames "Iowa" and "Calcio") and is speculated that one will have more internal storage.
  • There's absolutely no evidence of an actual "Pro" version. At least not in the sense that it would be based off of the Tegra X2 or have massive performance and/or memory improvements.

Whoever would have guessed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
In regard? Textures? Maybe. You are still locked at low resolutions because the gpu is a bottleneck.
Nintendo needs to get on Nvidias ass about developing a new chipset for their next console that can compete with what Apple is doing with their SoC. Apple is pumping out new updates to their SoC yearly with great gains.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for exactly this. I'm planning to play XC2 undocked exclusively and don't want to suffer that 360p.
If the game never gets a patch by the time the new revision hits, I doubt anything would change and the support for it dropped a long while ago.

I remember that the resolution is adaptive, and from a quick google search I think it tops at 552p in portable mode, so even if the hardware gets better, I think it'll just stay at that 'top' resolution more often. Still, that's better than the 368p it can reach I guess.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So someone earlier pointed out something interesting. The OG Switch uses two 2GB RAM modules, while the OG Switch devkit uses 3 (to give it 6GB of RAM). The new Switch having 8GB for devkits might suggest that it uses two 4GB modules (saving space and cost) while the OG Switch will now use one 4GB RAM module, right?

Unless I'm mistaken a single 4GB RAM module would have a wider bus giving it a much higher RAM bandwidth. Does that sound right?

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emily also reconfirmed it's not a silent update

but according to CNET "The Lite isn't a sequel to the Switch. It's more of a lower-cost spin-off. It'll also be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now. But maybe that's exactly what's needed."

so, why would Bowser (lol) lie? besides that he's an evil guy and all that

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Give me 6+ hours of battery life on BOTW and more stable frame rates for other games, and I'm sold on the New Switch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
but according to CNET "The Lite isn't a sequel to the Switch. It's more of a lower-cost spin-off. It'll also be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now. But maybe that's exactly what's needed."

The revised switch might not be considered a new hardware since it's just a upgrade of the existing switch, he also might not want people to know about it yet

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo has a history of such behavior.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Because he's not lying. Switch Lite is the only brand new hardware, the current Switch will just get a refresh, but with the exact same name / marketing / price.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the price point for thew "new" switch will be? $299 and OG switch reduced to $249 maybe?

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Give it more ram and a better WiFi connection so Me and my friends don't get crazy lag when playing smash multiplayer with 4 switches, and I'm fine.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
VnQ2CNW.gif

Even if you like them, Nintendo has just split their userbase. So if devs try to do anything elaborate with them, they'll be leaving out a big segment of Switch players. Get rid of them entirely. Their alleged usefulness isn't worth making the Switch like 2" wider and clunky. Also they're just bad controllers. It's not a good analog stick and the weird idea of them being 2 individually playable gamepads is why Switch lacks a decent d-pad. Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.