• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why not both? Either way it doesn't matter for me. They killed my interest with no tv out.

...because the Switch Lite isn't marketed on the basis of performance, and the more efficient they make the chip, the smaller/cheaper battery they can include and the lighter the system will be? That's why they wouldn't clock it higher.

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK a die shrink from 20nm to 12nm wouldn't actually save any internal space. Maybe they'd be able to cut down on some of the heat sink though? Or use a smaller fan?
Anything for battery life imo. The Lite is small enough it makes me think they did cut down on those but idk.

I hope this bump in specs, however small, convince Nintendo to bring over the Wii Shield Ports from China. Idk why they're not out I assumed maybe because the shield runs it's processor higher? Probably a pipe dream

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that developers make system calls which set the clock speeds. So even if a faster GPU is in the system, it's not likely to make any difference whatsoever on existing titles, and probably not new third party titles either unless Nintendo lets them do so, which I doubt would happen since this would be a stealth update.

They can't just make everything run faster, because that could break some games.

Homebrew folks haven't run into issues that I've heard of when they artificially boost the clocks. Nintendo could update the firmware of the new Switch to basically bump up every game's chosen profile by a tier or two.

Anything for battery life imo. The Lite is small enough it makes me think they did cut down on those but idk.

I hope this bump in specs, however small, convince Nintendo to bring over the Wii Shield Ports from China. Idk why they're not out I assumed maybe because the shield runs it's processor higher? Probably a pipe dream

The Lite has a 20% smaller battery, that's partially where that space comes from.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, XC2 is a phenomenal JRPG despite its technical shortcomings, I cannot recommend it enough, Switch Pro or not.

I hope that in the end you'll find a way to enjoy it! :)
I'll probably cave in and play it once I finish God of War.

Oct 26, 2017

They probably got rid of some of the metal cooling parts, this guy removed some and made a homemade mini switch which is roughly the same dimensions and weight of the Switch Lite! And that's without reducing the screen size or battery O_o

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Homebrew folks haven't run into issues that I've heard of when they artificially boost the clocks. Nintendo could update the firmware of the new Switch to basically bump up every game's chosen profile by a tier or two.
But it's not guaranteed. If a game has any code based on hardware timing, that timing would be messed up if the game code suddenly ran at a faster rate. At this point there would be too many games for Nintendo to fully test each one.

Note for example that Nintendo added the ability to clock the CPU faster than any of the normal settings, which they used to speed up loading times in Zelda. But they didn't just automatically do it for all games.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like I'll be sticking with my launch unit then.

Eventually I'll probably pick up the Lite because I love the way it looks and the original is really uncomfortable, but they're retailing for $329 here which is pretty miserable considering the original model has been on sale for $399 occasionally.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the clock hacks override the games calling for the profile. not something Nintendo is gonna do, so devs will just have to update. since there's already a higher profile out there, the lack of updates tell me that they're not going to bother

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I don't care about docked at all, so hopefully they mean it's a modest improvement for that mode.

Other than the bandwidth improvement and Denver (which wouldn't get used anyway), shouldn't the new SoC run similarly to an X2?

New devkit could mean 6GB for the new model, but I won't hold my breath.

Docked clocks in handheld mode would really be amazing, but I'm not hopeful for that either.

This will be more like a Quality of Life upgrade, not a PS4 Pro. Think New 3DS: they advertised first and foremost the faster OS and browser, better DL speed, improved cameras, super stable 3D. Switch "Pro" will have a better battery life, hopefully some upgrade to the OS (e.g.: with the ability to record more than 30s), maybe a bigger screen. It will likely offer a more stable performance to games like Xenoblade 2, helping them to target a certain framerate/resolution. But I really don't think we will be able to play portable Mario or docked Zelda at 1080p.

I see this sentiment a lot about New 3DS, but how much more could Nintendo have done to say it was a drastically improved model than making exclusive games and offering double the frame rate in some titles. Sure SS 3D was the focus, but the performance improvement wasn't a complete afterthought either. The sad part was the lack of continued investment and the period that it release.

Last edited:

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I should have read the entire OP, I thought this was information about the light version. I wonder if this one will still use a dock, I hope not, a cord straight into the TV/Monitor would be better for my setup.
An official smaller dock would be cool. Using an oled and only turning on the top of the screen for the time and notifications would also be nice.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not guaranteed. If a game has any code based on hardware timing, that timing would be messed up if the game code suddenly ran at a faster rate. At this point there would be too many games for Nintendo to fully test each one.

Note for example that Nintendo added the ability to clock the CPU faster than any of the normal settings, which they used to speed up loading times in Zelda. But they didn't just automatically do it for all games.

I know code can be based on CPU timing but I've never heard of it being possibly based on GPU timing. And even if that's the case in some games couldn't the API take care of that? Like if the game asks for the GPU clock speed the API can return whatever the original speed set by the developer was, regardless of if that's what the hardware is currently running at.

The OP says the GPU in the enhanced Switch is clocked higher than the one in the Lite is. That doesn't just sound like there are new GPU speeds available for use, it sounds like it uses higher speeds by default.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know code can be based on CPU timing but I've never heard of it being possibly based on GPU timing. And even if that's the case in some games couldn't the API take care of that? Like if the game asks for the GPU clock speed the API can return whatever the original speed set by the developer was, regardless of if that's what the hardware is currently running at.

The OP says the GPU in the enhanced Switch is clocked higher than the one in the Lite is. That doesn't just sound like there are new GPU speeds available for use, it sounds like it uses higher speeds by default.
You do know the GPU in OG Switch is clocked higher than the Lite. Since Lite has no dock mode it won't have docked clocks.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Sounds like New Switch is a disappointment, just a GPU overclock? you can already overclock your switch if you hack it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Man people are really stuck on that "Pro" terminology aren't they. It's really kind of ironic because this'll probably end up closer to the PS4 Pro bump than any of the (typically larger) upgrades Nintendo typically does.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world we would have a regular Switch for $299, a Lite version for $199 and a home version for $199. The home version would not be portable but $100 less but come with one pro controller and not the Switch controllers.

That way you cover everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
They probably got rid of some of the metal cooling parts, this guy removed some and made a homemade mini switch which is roughly the same dimensions and weight of the Switch Lite! And that's without reducing the screen size or battery O_o

I'd totally buy a shell kit for a mini-esque mod. The smaller form factor with the ability to still dock is perfect. I don't need to take the joycon off.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people so fixated on this Pro idea when it's just a revision that Xbox/PS4 have also employed?

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
I am not sure why some are saying the memory increase is for development kit. Isn't change in memory part of FCC filing?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually expected $349...

Why pay more for a Switch that no longer switches to portable? I was talking about the same power but only a console version. Remove the screen and consumers should save money.

Why are people so fixated on this Pro idea when it's just a revision that Xbox/PS4 have also employed?

I don't recall the Playstation or Xbox only being portable. If we howevere look at handhelds then it is clear Nintendo does indeed improve its hardware over time. Just look at the DS. The PS4 and Xbox One also had improved hardware, the Pro and the X.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has also done it in the past with their handhelds.
First version -> Smaller revision with same power -> Newer revision with more power

Gameboy -> Gameboy pocket -> Gameboy Colour
GBA -> GBA SP (cut short thanks to the DS)
DS -> DS Lite -> DSi
3DS -> 3DS XL -> New 3DS/XL
Switch -> Switch Lite -> [Switch Pro]

It's really got nothing to do with Xbox or PS4.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what I've been saying for forever now. Don't expect a big upgrade, expect modest at best.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Why pay more for a Switch that no longer switches to portable? I was talking about the same power but only a console version. Remove the screen and consumers should save money.
Why pay more? That's a good question. I just think that if Nintendo were to sell a $349 Switch console that's exclusive to TV docked mode, then I would presumed it has more raw performance over handheld mode.

Dec 23, 2017
...because the Switch Lite isn't marketed on the basis of performance, and the more efficient they make the chip, the smaller/cheaper battery they can include and the lighter the system will be? That's why they wouldn't clock it higher.
Either way you will alienate someone. I think the option should be in developers hands. Assuming the clocks can be raised. Nintendo can do what they want with their games but don't tie developers hands. Especially if the new switch has updated clock speeds. You have games in handheld mode that might have different performances between new and lite.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Glad we're not getting a Switch pro. I really dont want the hardware I spent 400AUD only a couple years ago to all of a sudden be obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.