• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Well, if this simply allows games like BOTW and Xenoblade 2 to run at a solid 30fps, even with no resolution bump, I'll be trading in my launch switch and buying this.

Can we expect games to just run a little better like I said or no upgrades or more major than just getting things to 30fps? I'm sorta confused about what this is going to actually do over the current switch?
Xenoblade 2 doesn't have problems because of the switch !
It has been developped by a much smaller team and external help. Monolith talked about it. There's a reason why it got so many updates.

For BotW I'd say the Wii U had an effect but that's speculation.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so fixated on this Pro idea when it's just a revision that Xbox/PS4 have also employed?

Because the reporting is sound and we have multile sources confirming an enhanced Switch exist.

The issue seems to be people taking Bowser's denial at face value and twisting the hacker's tweet into meaning it doesn't exist.

For the record, Digital Foundy already covered most of what was in the tweet, care of Era's own Thraktor two weeks ago.
Stuff we already know about Mariko includes 1) it's an X1 revision not X2 2) higher clocks support by up to 37% 3) 8 GB ram supported vs. 6GB in current Switch dev kits

With the Switch Mini, we now know it's roughly 50% more efficient assuming its running at the same clocks , it's possible even the Lite is running faster. It uses a battery with 20% less capacity but achives 20-30% more battery life. So an enhanced Switch with a larger or the same battery pushing for OG's handheld battery life could get up to 50% more performance, possibly more docked

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't Switch Pro. While it has improvements, this unit will sit on shelves and a consumer wouldn't be able to know if it was the new or old version of the Switch.

How it should be.

Nah it will clearly be a new SKU since it's apparently coming in at least two colors. Beyond that this will have either substantially improved battery life or better performance, that's not something they will keep hidden from consumers.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I think TX2 is completely off the cards, mainly because of the Denver cores is my guess. This also imo means that the 128 bus bandwidth RAM could be off the table too and we would stick to 64.

Realistically we are likely getting a die shrunk of TX1 at 16/12nm. It's all but confirmed Switch lite is already using this.

I don't think the 4GB/8GB means anything concrete. Who knows how old it is and it could have been used for debugging. But maybe we don't need 8GB anyway. 6GB DDR4x could be enough,. DDR4X can attain slightly higher bandwidth speeds at the same voltage usage as ddr4, and that can be used for docked mode. Meanwhile we could use less of the bandwidth speeds in handheld to help with voltage usage.. maybe even disable a 2GB ram in handheld mode. We should get 40GB/s for sure with 6GB. Not sure if we can reach 50 though.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Essentially, yes.

Yup. Overclocked Switch OG have shown some impressive results on games like Doom. Improved resolution and stable 30fps. Even titles like Wolf2 saw resolution clarity. As I expected, Switch revision (call it Pro, New Switch, Switch S or whatever) will be enough to boost resolution of games like Doom from 540p range to 720p and maintain 30fps with improved battery life. Not a bad upgrade, if priced the same as current Switch.
Honestly it's sounding more like a GC to Wii upgrade which was like 1.5x more power all around. Xbone s upgrade's mild 7% GPU boost was for hdr or whatever.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I don't get it.

Is this something Nintendo would communicate to consumers?

Is the New version already out in the market?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
As a Switch enthusiast, this would be enough for me to upgrade, especially considering how many games are already programmed to scale dynamically. If we're looking at results similar to a homebrewed overclocked Switch, selling my launch model toward paying for this would be worth it, considering how much I use the thing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take the 8gb/ram model, please.

The 8GB is almost definitely for the devkit, considering it's replacing the 6GB profile of the original which was only in devkits.

I don't get it.

Is this something Nintendo would communicate to consumers?

Is the New version already out in the market?

This will be announced. It may not be called a new name though, but it's supposedly launching in multiple different colors so it will have to be differentiated somehow.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Because the reporting is sound and we have multile sources confirming an enhanced Switch exist.

The issue seems to be people taking Bowser's denial at face value and twisting the hacker's tweet into meaning it doesn't exist.

For the record, Digital Foundy already covered most of what was in the tweet, care of Era's own Thraktor two weeks ago.
Stuff we already know about Mariko includes 1) it's an X1 revision not X2 2) higher clocks support by up to 37% 3) 8 GB ram supported vs. 6GB in current Switch dev kits

With the Switch Mini, we now know it's roughly 50% more efficient assuming its running at the same clocks , it's possible even the Lite is running faster. It uses a battery with 20% less capacity but achives 20-30% more battery life. So an enhanced Switch with a larger or the same battery pushing for OG's handheld battery life could get up to 50% more performance, possibly more docked

With that said, if there are some optimisations, its likely to improve minimum framerate and resolution scaling.
It will be interesting to see how it performs compared to Switch OG in HH mode, particularly XC2.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a Switch enthusiast, this would be enough for me to upgrade, especially considering how many games are already programmed to scale dynamically. If we're looking at results similar to a homebrewed overclocked Switch, selling my launch model toward paying for this would be worth it, considering how much I use the thing.
What are the clock speeds of overclocked switches? This might even be a little faster than overclocked ones

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not quite what she's said.
I don't believe this will be a "silent revision".
This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.
???

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Might be impossible to resist a Link's Awakening Switch. ;_;

So what should we expect from the modest boost in gpu? 10%-15% Improvement?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be announced. It may not be called a new name though, but it's supposedly launching in multiple different colors so it will have to be differentiated somehow.
That's exactly how Nintendo will announce it imo. New color models with more internal storage. Any kind of spec talk regarding them are likely not going to be discussed in their announcement, especially if it's so modest. That stuff will be put on their website to show comparisons between models.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Nah it will clearly be a new SKU since it's apparently coming in at least two colors. Beyond that this will have either substantially improved battery life or better performance, that's not something they will keep hidden from consumers.
It can have both. Noticably better battery playing OG handheld speeds, and hopefully the ability to play OG docked speeds in handheld on this "Pro" version with the same battery life or slightly worse than OG Handheld clock speeds.. and then of course a docked mode with boosted clock speeds that scales to 1.5-2x or w/e.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly how Nintendo will announce it imo. New color models with more internal storage. Any kind of spec talk regarding them are likely not going to be discussed in their announcement, especially if it's so modest. That stuff will be put on their website to show comparisons between models.

Yep, agreed.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Might be impossible to resist a Link's Awakening Switch. ;_;

So what should we expect from the modest boost in gpu? 10%-15% Improvement?
Realistically, if it's a 12nm node, I DO think we maybe could get 750 to sub 800 GFLOPs in the best case scenario for docked. That's a 2x boost. This is assuming we get a new CPU like A72 or A73 and LPDDR4X which will lower the voltage further down. That's just my guess.. and also assuming we get the same battery size..

Will we get it though? Not holding my breath. A 1.5x boost to 600 GFLOPs at least should be attainable with a 12nm/16finfet.. Biggest question is if we can use the full clocks without overheating, like the TX1 was throtted and could only get up to 393 out of 500 GFLOPs on the 20nm node. I don't know if we could experience the same with a 16 or 12nm node.. like if the same thing could happen to TX2 that used a 16nm mode and then only 600 GFLOPs out of 750 could be utilized at the most(which I don't know if it does, since tx2 was never used in gaming)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, if it's a 12nm node, I DO think we maybe could get 750 to sub 800 GFLOPs in the best case scenario for docked. That's a 2x boost. This is assuming we get a new CPU like A72 or A73 and LPDDR4X which will lower the voltage further down. That's just my guess.. and also assuming we get the same battery size..

Will we get it though? Not holding my breath. A 1.5x boost to 600 GFLOPs at least should be attainable with a 12nm/16finfet.. Biggest question is if we can use the full clocks without overheating, like the TX1 was throtted and could only get up to 393 out of 500 GFLOPs on the 20nm node. I don't know if we could experience the same with a 16 or 12nm node.. like if the same thing could happen to TX2 that used a 16nm mode and then only 600 GFLOPs out of 750 could be utilized at the most(which I don't know if it does, since tx2 was never used in gaming)
The absolute highest it could be in docked based on how much battery the lite uses is like 600 gflops, but I'm only expecting 500-550 gflops in docked personally

Since this firmware confirmed that it is clocked higher though that shows Nintendo is willing to give it more power so maybe they will try to clock as high as they are able to in docked mode so maybe we will get 600 in docked

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will slowly unlock the speed of the chip like they're doing with the current Switch. Like they will limit the speed to the default so that more developers will be tailoring their games to the older spec. Then as the sales grow and adoption increases, Nintendo will release patches to allow the system to be clocked higher for more demanding games. The high still when the new Switch install base outgrows the old Switch and more people can take advantage of the better hardware for better performing games.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The absolute highest it could be in docked based on how much battery the lite uses is like 600 gflops, but I'm only expecting 500-550 gflops in docked personally

Since this firmware confirmed that it is clocked higher though that shows Nintendo is willing to give it more power so maybe they will try to clock as high as they are able to in docked mode so maybe we will get 600 in docked
That firmware that Thraktor and DF mentioned looked like 1.2 something GHz for the GPU. Divide that by current switch docked CPU and you get 1.65x the speed.

Also if you are basing off of switch lite's battery... Note that that switch lite's battery is nearly 20% smaller than OG switch. This revision though could have the same battery size or even slightly larger than OG Switch and have an even longer battery life as a result. IF they do go with a newer CPU like A72/A73 CPU and/or trade the ddr4 RAM for ddr4x RAM, they would save significantly cut down on watt usage. I'm not expecting this of course. Just giving what could be the best case what if scenario. Knowing Nintendo's past actions and prioritizing costs over power, maybe it will turn out to be a more modest 1.3-1.5x GPU boost.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That firmware that Thraktor and DF mentioned looked like 1.2 something GHz for the GPU. Divide that by current switch docked CPU and you get 1.65x the speed.

Also if you are basing off of switch lite's battery... Note that that switch lite's battery is nearly 20% smaller than OG switch. This revision though could have the same battery size or even slightly larger than OG Switch and have an even longer battery life as a result. IF they do go with a newer CPU like A72/A73 CPU and/or trade the ddr4 RAM for ddr4x RAM, they would save significantly cut down on watt usage. I'm not expecting this of course. Just giving what could be the best case what if scenario. Knowing Nintendo's past actions and prioritizing costs over power, maybe it will turn out to be a more modest 1.3-1.5x GPU boost.
The lite shows 50% improvement in efficiency so 50% improvement to 393 gflops would be about 600 gflops in docked if they choose to max out docked speeds

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what the clock speed increase is? I see details in the tweets in the OP, but I don't understand what they mean.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A version with better thermals and buttery life that can use more of the existing chip's power to achieve better resolution and framerate is all I really want from a revision honestly.

Dec 23, 2017
A version with better thermals and buttery life that can use more of the existing chip's power to achieve better resolution and framerate is all I really want from a revision honestly.
It's really all most people want but so many people seem to be against that being a thing. Here is your new more efficient chip.... enjoy the 1-2 hour battery life gain and nothing else.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
May I ask where that Emily quote is coming from? I didn't see it in a post in this thread, and I'd like to read the full quote.
Here. This follow-up is also worth bringing up.

Emily wrote "i believe", you wrote she's 100% sure on it.
Oooor you can keep misunderstanding things and replying disrespecting other user, like "???"
You viewed the questions marks as disrespectful? I don't know what to say to that.

Regardless; the fact that this new model is supposedly coming in a variety of colors is enough to tell me that it won't be a stealth release at all. Even if they don't openly confirm the changes (which I doubt), we'll know when the new models drop. Emily's guess is more educated than our own, so if she believe that these models won't be stealth-dropped, i'm inclined to put a little more stock into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.