• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A version with better thermals and buttery life that can use more of the existing chip's power to achieve better resolution and framerate is all I really want from a revision honestly.

Yeah it's basically all it needs at this point. I'm surprised people were expecting much more than this at this point.

Maybe we'll see a much bigger boost in a year or two but not now.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For every post like this there is another one saying how XC2 is the worst RPG of the modern era or some shit like that. I've toyed with the notion that a Switch revision that ran XC2 at native or near-native res when handheld might convince me to finally pick it up, but with so much negative feedback regarding numerous non-performance-related elements of the game I doubt I ever will.

You have to decide on you own, many people love the game, some don't. If you like jrpgs you should give it a chance imo, for me it's the best Switch game next to Breath of the Wild. With a normal Switch i just would play it docked, at least for the story (portable mode is good enough for sidequests).

@ New Switch: I just hope it gives a bit of a performance and resolution boost, doesn't have to be a big upgrade.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Probably makes its easier to port games from other systems intially

Exactly. I'm guessing some third party developer requested this after Nintendo asked for their support. Circle Pad Pro was created after Capcom asked better controls to make a MH game for the system. I wouldn't be surprised someone having troubles in porting games (namely, Ubisoft) could have requested ease in the porting process.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
This is just gotten ridiculous, from a consumers perspective. And I certainly wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not even acknowledge the revision, despite it being only slightly more powerful/efficient.

As someone who has contemplated when/if I should get a Switch for some time now, I guess I just wait for holidays, see what's there. What an annoyance

Edit: That is of course if they left the og on the market. I don't think they will, it'll probably just be a replacement and the og will be phased out. But apparently, as I just learned, the Xbox 360 had both a revision and the og model on market at one time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is just gotten ridiculous, from a consumers perspective. And I certainly wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not even acknowledge the revision, despite it being only slightly more powerful/efficient.

As someone who has contemplated when/if I should get a Switch for some time now, I guess I just wait for holidays, see what's there. What an annoyance

It's apparently going to launch with at least two new colors according to Emily so they will acknowledge these at the very least in terms of coming in new colors. So you'll know which one you're getting.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
It isn't Switch Pro. While it has improvements, this unit will sit on shelves and a consumer wouldn't be able to know if it was the new or old version of the Switch.

How it should be.
How the hell is it "How it should be?" I don't care if 95% of the consumers could care less, you inform the consumer, just like with the New 3ds. Hell outta here with that lol.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that, even if it is modest, it is enough for a better frame rate on handheld games. Bayo 1+2 at a locked 60fps, XC2 not running like shit, I would finally go back and play them.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's apparently going to launch with at least two new colors according to Emily so they will acknowledge these at the very least in terms of coming in new colors. So you'll know which one you're getting.

I think she meant packed in joycon colors. I don't think they will release a different colored main unit ever.

So far we have grey and red/blue sets and couple of other limited ones. White could be one of them and maybe matching brand new Switch Lite color, yellow.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to dive in on Switch for Link's Awakening remake. I'm fine with a modest boost. I just didn't wanna regret buying in too soon before significant hardware revisions.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
OK, well, I guess I'll wait for this new revision. I sold my launch Switch last year planning to get what turned out to be the Switch Lite, but I still want one that docks so unfortunately that one's off the table for me. Hopefully the new revision of the OG Switch will drop fairly soon.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd be interested in the "new", frame rate is quite poor on the current model so hopefully a small bump in performance will fix that. Gimme Bayonetta 2 in solid 60fps.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It isn't Switch Pro. While it has improvements, this unit will sit on shelves and a consumer wouldn't be able to know if it was the new or old version of the Switch.

How it should be.

How is that how it should be? If I were Nintendo I would 100% want to communicate improvements to consumers. You can market better battery life and even slight performance improvements.

Also it would piss me off as a consumer if I was in the market for a switch and there was a version available with better battery life and more ram but it looked identical to other boxes of models on the shelf. I could mistakenly buy the "worse" switch and not know there was a "better" option for the same price.

Just seems weird to say not letting consumers know is "how it should be."

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
If "enhanced features" means an improved OS we might get 8gb with 2 of it going toward the console

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is that so? The tweet didn't sound too clear one way or the other

I meant like the PS4. I think that has 8 gigs with 3 going to the os and 5 for games, so something like that
I'm joking. The 1GB that they have for the OS atm is plenty for a bunch of things. Just look at what the Vita is capable of doing with far less. It's Nintendo not wanting to put any effort and must protect the children philosophy for their barebones OS.

Sep 25, 2018
Okay this settles it for me. I'm not waiting 18 months for a possible pro model which might not even exist. Looks like I'll get one in the next month or so.

Nintendo never made another revision of their system one year after releasing one, earliest you would of got one in 2022 going by their past Handhelds 3ds to new 3ds took 3 years, ds lite to dsi took 4 years

If they rush it maybe 2021 could be the earliest

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The lite shows 50% improvement in efficiency so 50% improvement to 393 gflops would be about 600 gflops in docked if they choose to max out docked speeds
It just says clock speeds are faster but not by how much
Where does it officially say that clockspeeds are faster in lite and that it's 50% more efficient? 50% more efficent =/= 50% more power either.

For all we know, switch lite could be just using OG handheld specs.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think it's been commonly suggested that a Switch Pro won't be like a PS4 pro. We just like using "pro" to indicate that it's better somehow.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I remember hearing thhat later builds of the switches had a worse screen? Is that actually true?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'll wait for DF analysis and so on. Own launch Switch but wanted to have a 2nd one to come with me ok my daily trips so might get the Lite unless this revision fixes frame rate issues

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How powerful could a true Switch 2 be in like...3 years?
Tegra Xavier is supposed to be capable of 1.4Tflops and that's out now. Not in any sort of chip that Nintendo can use but if there is a customized chip for a Switch 2 eventually They should have no issues with a significant upgrade. Tegra Orin is around the corner and should be more powerful than Xavier as well

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for this, but please, for the love of all things Zelda and Mario, give us some colour options.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So, how will this work?
Will this quietly replace existing Switch at the same price point to no fanfare?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tegra Xavier is supposed to be capable of 1.4Tflops and that's out now. Not in any sort of chip that Nintendo can use but if there is a customized chip for a Switch 2 eventually They should have no issues with a significant upgrade. Tegra Orin is around the corner and should be more powerful than Xavier as well
Yeah, base Xbox One performance is already possible in Tegra SOCs and in some case, even base PS4 (considering Nvidia flops are more worth than AMD flops) . It's pretty crazy to think about that.

Now with technology progressing exponentially and not linear, think about what's possible in 2 years!

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
How powerful could a true Switch 2 be in like...3 years?
I do think base ps4 power is doable for Switch 2. A 1.3 TFLOP docked console may or may not be possible on 7nm(Nvidia has Xavier running at 20-30 watts on 12nm), but there's a decent chance on a 5nm or some enhanced 12nm. And around 1.3 Nividia TFLOPs in 2022 should be all it takes to reach AMD's older GPU equivalent of 1.84 TFLOPs.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Yeah, base Xbox One performance is already possible in Tegra SOCs and in some case, even base PS4 (considering Nvidia flops are more worth than AMD flops) . It's pretty crazy to think about that.

Now with technology progressing exponentially and not linear, think about what's possible in 2 years!
I wouldnt call it exponential considering Moores Law is dead and new Node increases are becoming fewer and less impressive with each generation.

Also currently there are no Tegra SOCs that can reach XBO levels. Xavier is not a Tegra and uses no Tegra branding; in addition it requires 20-30W and is physically too large to fit into a tablet.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was willing to wait a little and see if the new Switch was markedly better than existing and Lite, but given Lite suits my needs (form factor, handheld) I am happy to plump for the Lite later in the year. Just wish the colours weren't so icky.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I wouldnt call it exponential considering Moores Law is dead and new Node increases are becoming fewer and less impressive with each generation.

Also currently there are no Tegra SOCs that can reach XBO levels. Xavier is not a Tegra and uses no Tegra branding; in addition it requires 20-30W and is physically too large to fit into a tablet.
Lol this. It uses four times the power the Tegra in the Switch uses and is as big as the Scorpio Engine, with 2 billion more transistors.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

I seriously wonder what Nintendo is going to use as their SoC for an eventual Switch successor. With Nvidia having refocused their Tegra divsion towards things such as self-driving cars, AI, car entertainment systems, etc., Tegra X2 is basically the last chip still suited for tablet use. Added to this, there's the facts that a) Nintendo generally seems to prefer to put cheaper stock chips into their devices instead of bankrolling more expensive custom solutions and b) Nvidia definitely isn't the type of company that would do customized design work for a third party on the cheap.So I wonder whether, in two or three years or so, Nvidia is still going to have a "conventional" mobile SoC available that Nintendo could use.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I seriously wonder what Nintendo is going to use as their SoC for an eventual Switch successor. With Nvidia having refocused their Tegra divsion towards things such as self-driving cars, AI, car entertainment systems, etc., Tegra X2 is basically the last chip still suited for tablet use. Added to this, there's the facts that a) Nintendo generally seems to prefer to put cheaper stock chips into their devices instead of bankrolling more expensive custom solutions and b) Nvidia definitely isn't the type of company that would do customized design work for a third party on the cheap.So I wonder whether, in two or three years or so, Nvidia is still going to have a "conventional" mobile SoC available that Nintendo could use.
Of course they are. They didn't make a long term deal for nothing. The only way to really make a big improvement over the current Switch (As powerful as Xbox One S when docked, with an 800Gflop Turigg GPU, with more powerful CPU) is with the 7nm node. I speculated Nvidia might use the TSMC node for such a Tegra chip this year, but perhaps they'll do so next year with Samsung's 7nm EUV just like with their desktop GPUs.

If Mariko is finally this improved Tegra X1 with LPDDR4x support and so forth, then judging by the Switch Lite battery life improvements its not a huge jump in efficiency. The Switch Lite has a smaller screen, saves energy with the Lpddr4 memory, has fewer components due to not having to dock, and doesn't have to keep the JoyCons charged. So, there's an improvement, but it seems to be marginal.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
If Mariko is finally this improved Tegra X1 with LPDDR4x support and so forth, then judging by the Switch Lite battery life improvements its not a huge jump in efficiency. The Switch Lite has a smaller screen, saves energy with the Lpddr4 memory, has fewer components due to not having to dock, and doesn't have to keep the JoyCons charged. So, there's an improvement, but it seems to be marginal.

It actually is a pretty huge jump in efficiency, don't forget that the Lite also has a much smaller battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.