• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
I think we had a pretty good picture of what to expect by now but I keep thinking how weird it is that two major details from the datamine (different RAM, different battery size) are not included in the FCC change request for the supposed "new" Switch.

I wouldn't rule out a third "premium" model with a full redesign, while this would only be a minor revision of the original switch just using Mariko and bound to be discontinued after a while, but they also mention a change to the internal memory which is something that would definitely belong to the "enhanced" sku.

There's something missing somewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
I think we had a pretty good picture of what to expect by now but I keep thinking how weird it is that two major details from the datamine (different RAM, different battery size) are not included in the FCC change request for the supposed "new" Switch.

I wouldn't rule out a third "premium" model with a full redesign, while this would only be a minor revision of the original switch just using Mariko and bound to be discontinued after a while, but they also mention a change to the internal memory which is something that would definitely belong to the "enhanced" sku.

The testing done last August in Japan involved the unit mounted in a software developer dock, and connected via an ethernet cable to a laptop. I don't know how these tests work, but to me this doesn't sounds like a typical use case for retail units, and more like a typical development/QA unit setup.
As the Switch Lite doesn't have FCC approval yet and isn't listed on the website, it's possible any other upcoming retail unit isn't listed yet either, and this thing is just an updated developer bound hardware that supports larger game sizes (?) and the new SoC, and they could have been using these things for months outside of the US. (the Japanese lab was testing this unit 11 months ago)

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The testing done last August in Japan involved the unit mounted in a software developer dock, and connected via an ethernet cable to a laptop. I don't know how these tests work, but to me this doesn't sounds like a typical use case for retail units, and more like a typical development/QA unit setup.
As the Switch Lite doesn't have FCC approval yet and isn't listed on the website, it's possible any other upcoming retail unit isn't listed yet either, and this thing is just an updated developer bound hardware that supports larger game sizes (?) and the new SoC, and they could have been using these things for months outside of the US. (the Japanese lab was testing this unit 11 months ago)

The testing doesn't necessarily relate to this change request. I know they were filed together but sometimes it costs money each separate time you file something like this and you get a situation where it makes more sense to wait and file a few unrelated things together.

That said, your theory makes about as much sense as any right now. I'd say the evidence we have right now says device in the FCC filing probably is not the "new" one said to be coming this year.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

We know from the tweets quoted in the OP that both the Mini and this 'enhanced' revision will use LPDDR4X vs LPDDR4 RAM
It consumes significantly less power and could run faster

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The testing doesn't necessarily relate to this change request. I know they were filed together but sometimes it costs money each separate time you file something like this and you get a situation where it makes more sense to wait and file a few unrelated things together.

That said, your theory makes about as much sense as any right now. I'd say the evidence we have right now says device in the FCC filing probably is not the "new" one said to be coming this year.
Could also mean it's not just going to be called switch, might actually have its own name

Oct 26, 2017

Check the paragraph above the signature:

And yeah I could be totally off on this, but it makes more sense to me. IF I'm right, it could be a hint that RAM speed won't increase in the near future because of this HW not supporting it, but I might be taking too many leaps in logic there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Check the paragraph above the signature:

And yeah I could be totally off on this, but it makes more sense to me. IF I'm right, it could be a hint that RAM speed won't increase in the near future because of this HW not supporting it, but I might be taking too many leaps in logic there.

Oh, good find. Yeah so I'd say all of this FCC stuff is nothing. At the very least the fact that they filled a short term confidentiality request about the photos of the new SoC suggests this product will be available to somebody in the next 6 months. Be it devs or demo units or whatever.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, CNET gave numbers. Switch is about 4100 mWh, Lite is about 3850 mWh. If I recall correctly, of course.

Wow that's a pretty small difference than I was anticipating. Especially with arguments on the other thread placing very lofty hopes and dreams of significant battery life. Granted all that's left now is to know what nm build the chipset is. But I hope that puts battery life into perspective for people.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's a pretty small difference than I was anticipating. Especially with arguments on the other thread placing very lofty hopes and dreams of significant battery life. Granted all that's left now is to know what nm build the chipset is. But I hope that puts battery life into perspective for people.
Botw lasts 1 hr longer on the switch lite than og switch even with the smaller battery

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry if this has been asked - I'm looking to pick up a second switch for my girlfriend. Is this slightly updated sku out there already?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I noticed Mike Brain said both switch lite and this revision are on a 10nm chip via Twitter from yesterday, but that makes no sense since Nvidia isn't known to make 10nm soc chips. Maybe he got it it mixed up the LPDDR4x ram which is 10nm itself? I'm guessing 12nm is the best bet. And no way in hell I'm trusting that forb es article.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch battery is 4310mAh, the Switch Lite's is 83% of that.
Funnily enough the gap between the Switch Lite's fan vent and the left analog is about 84% of the width of the original battery. I'm totally expecting the new model to use the same battery as the Lite.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's 4310 and 3570. If the full sized revision keeps the 4310, that's a 20% increase over the Lite. I think it's reasonable to expect 3.5 - 8 hours, with Zelda lasting over 4.5. I'd say that's a significant improvement for anyone looking to upgrade from the OG.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont mind buying the current OG switch as long as there's no "exclusive" games mess they did between the 3DS and the "New" 3DS.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think about it this one's power increases interest me more than the Lite does. Even if they're modest they'll still help keep framerates and resolution on the dynamic res games stable.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Haven't heard anything. I'm not expecting any radical change. Better build quality on the tablet is all I'm expecting, mostly to prevent the cracking some have encountered around the vent.
Ah, i'm glad i'm not alone with that. I don't even know when it even happened, but I noticed cracks around the vent on my Switch a few months ago.

The Lite looks much more sturdy in that area, so i'm hoping that this new model is also less damage-prone.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, i'm glad i'm not alone with that. I don't even know when it even happened, but I noticed cracks around the vent on my Switch a few months ago.

The Lite looks much more sturdy in that area, so i'm hoping that this new model is also less damage-prone.
it also looks to have the same thumbsticks... so good luck if they start drifting

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but I am not sure I follow. They are requesting to update the original FCC certification of the retail Nintendo Switch, complete with User Manuals and external photos. There is no way they are now mixing that with a DEV unit.

Besides, DEV unit have different model codes and were not FCC certified for sale (and in fact you won't find any non-retail component in the Nintendo files on the FCC repository), as you can see in this picture of the EDEV unit.

The FCC request is 100% for an update of the original retail Switch. The question is, why it doesn't mention changes to the battery and RAM, and is it going to be the real "new" switch ?

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but I am not sure I follow. They are requesting to update the original FCC certification of the retail Nintendo Switch, complete with User Manuals and external photos. There is no way they are now mixing that with a DEV unit.

Besides, DEV unit have different model codes and were not FCC certified for sale (and in fact you won't find any non-retail component in the Nintendo files on the FCC repository), as you can see in this picture of the EDEV unit.

The FCC request is 100% for an update of the original retail Switch. The question is, why it doesn't mention changes to the battery and RAM, and is it going to be the real "new" switch ?
Do you have a better idea for why it was plugged into a HAT cradle during the test?

The EDEV unit is here:

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just a sort of silent revision where people wouldn't know the difference when buying? Same packaging and everything, just replacing the box already sitting on shelves? I remember when buying my 360 back in the day I had to look up some number on the box to check if it was a newer model that wasn't as likely to get the rrod, so stuff like this has been done in the past.

Anyway, I'll probably buy a Switch in the fall, is it likely this revision is on shelves by then?

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I wouldn't say it's a pro but I think of it as a Xbox One S upgrade. It had a 10% boost of performance. (Correction is needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.