• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Well the SoC is on the CPU board and it was listed. So yeah while we can't be sure, it does seem odd that they'd have to mention one thing (like the SoC) but not another (like the RAM).

I think that FCC expert (or so he seemed) from the other thread said they would need to list a change in the battery size if it happened.

Could be, but I doubt it. If it's such a small different for the enhanced Switch (50% or less improvement) I don't see why it wouldn't replace the OG Switch. Maybe it'll be something like "Switch deluxe" (like the Wii U Deluxe SKU) which comes with 2/4x the storage and increased performance? While the regular Switch is still being sold for $50 less (but with the new SoC just hardlocked to OG levels)?

I'm not sure that makes sense, since the datamining only found 3 results for T214 (Mariko)- Switch Lite, "new" Switch, and devkit.

Weren't there three "form factors" for the New with one of them ("Calcio") with unsure attribution?

Anyway, Deluxe version was exactly what I had in mind. We'll see...

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Are we going to expect Nintendo to stick to 5 years cycle? Or we will be expecting a shorter cycle due to the mobile technology?
im expecting a longer cycle due to the success of the Switch and the potential Switch Pro, they cant take anything for guaranteed like they did Wii, a handheld life cycle like DS and 3DS seems more likely, of course the Switch 2 eventually needs to come with a good first year lineup, and modern games take longer than ever so no rush

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there three "form factors" for the New with one of them ("Calcio") with unsure attribution?

Anyway, Deluxe version was exactly what I had in mind. We'll see...

The way I understood this tweet-

was that there are three versions that use the T214 chip, the Lite, the "new" Switch whatever it's called and the devkit (EDEV). The previous tweet:

seems to suggest that Hoag is the dev unit, Iowa is either the Lite or the "new" and Calcio is the other one (either the Lite or the "new", whichever Iowa is not).

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Tegra Nano has 128 GPU cores out of 256 activated and runs at 236 GFLOPs on fp32. These specs fall in line with switch handheld specs. if we don't get Docked performance on handheld on Switch Lite, Tegra Nano isn't out of the question.

There is no "Tegra Nano", its still branded as an X1, just cut down.
It'd also have bandwidth issues, so I doubt it'd be used in a Switch product.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the datamine showed that no new frequency modes had been added to the firmware, since the firmware includes the unreleased devkit code, it would mean that the higher frequencies aren't even being used for testing in devkits.

He said it isn't representated there yet but that it's clocked higher. And they could use some of the higher already available modes in the beginning. like the 920mhz mode that wasn't used on the old Switch, just in theory.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
The way I understood this tweet-

was that there are three versions that use the T214 chip, the Lite, the "new" Switch whatever it's called and the devkit (EDEV). The previous tweet:

seems to suggest that Hoag is the dev unit, Iowa is either the Lite or the "new" and Calcio is the other one (either the Lite or the "new", whichever Iowa is not).

Not a native speaker, but to me "these 3 forms exist for *both* Lite and "New" means that we have three form factors for each of the T214 lines for a total of 6 (that we know of)
Then he is also talking about codenamed "models" which are probably the same thing although the phrasing is confusing.

The thing is that the OG switch had only two "form factors" because the EDEV mode was essentially identical to the retail unit.
In this case either it has its own form (they might even repurpose the original switch for that) or it's something different.
Maybe someone can ask him directly? I closed my Twitter account long ago

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Lots of things we called it were poorly chosen because of their connotations. "New Switch Model" or "Switch Revision", or just "New Switch" would have been a better choice.

Would be misleading too, the New 3DS was a very significant update.

This "New Switch" will practically no update on the power side of things. Just better battery life and more storage.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds nice and all.. but where's bluetooth headset support? Is it really so hard for them to add it?

I've posted about bluetooth at least 3 times in this thread so far and nobody responded. Am I the only one who cares about this?

HomeSpot Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter Adapter with USB C Connector APTX Low Latency for Nintendo Switch Compatible with AirPods PS4 Bose Sony and Bluetooth Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9SL7ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WgwlDbWHFVSP3

This seems to be pretty well regarded?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
HomeSpot Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter Adapter with USB C Connector APTX Low Latency for Nintendo Switch Compatible with AirPods PS4 Bose Sony and Bluetooth Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9SL7ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WgwlDbWHFVSP3

That looks pretty nice, gotta check if I can find it in Germany. Thanks! I still think it's sad you have to buy a 40$ accessory to get something basically every current mobile device on this planet supports out of the box.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
That sounds nice and all.. but where's bluetooth headset support? Is it really so hard for them to add it?

I've posted about bluetooth at least 3 times in this thread so far and nobody responded. Am I the only one who cares about this?

Isn't Bluetooth audio support already available on Switch to the same level as PS4 supports it?

I can just take out the PS4 headset dongle from my PS4 and put it on the Switch and it works.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Isn't Bluetooth audio support already available on Switch to the same level as PS4 supports it?

I can just take out the PS4 headset dongle from my PS4 and put it on the Switch and it works.
The PS4 headset dongle isn't bluetooth. Also you're talking about plugging the dongle into the dock, right? What I want is to use my Sony ANC headphones while on the go, which is impossible without adapters like the one Tathanen posted.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
The PS4 headset dongle isn't bluetooth. Also you're talking about plugging the dongle into the dock, right? What I want is to use my Sony ANC headphones while on the go, which is impossible without adapters like the one Tathanen posted.

Isn't it impossible to use them on the PS4 without an adapter too or am I confused?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Im gonna wait until this thing hits shelves and for Digital Foundry to Test if it has any real impact on games. Not gonna rush out and buy the new model for potentially nothing.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Worth noting it's not possible to charge the device whilst using the Homespot. Was an unfortunate deal breaker for me - my main use case for blue tooth audio is travelling in portable. HomeSpot gets good reviews though!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I wonder if the DQ11 switch bundle will have the new SoC.
4610.jpg

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so what's the overall opinion on when this might be released??

Cause I was about to buy a reg switch since they only announced the lite and I will mainly be playing on my tv, but I will hold off for this if it's coming out this year (I really want to play Link's Awakening asap though).
According to Emily Rogers it's this year. She's been wrong before though, but I would hold out if I were you.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
According to Emily Rogers it's this year. She's been wrong before though, but I would hold out if I were you.

From a production cost standpoint, it doesn't really make sense to go into this year's Holiday season with two different manufacturing lines for their SoC (= using the new Mariko chipsets for the Lite while sticking with the old 20nm X1s for the regular model), so I think it's reasonable to assume we're still getting the 'New Switch' sometime this autumn. Weren't there reports in spring already that Nintendo was clearing its stock of 2017 models?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
From a production cost standpoint, it doesn't really make sense to go into this year's Holiday season with two different manufacturing lines for their SoC (= using the new Mariko chipsets for the Lite while sticking with the old 20nm X1s for the regular model), so I think it's reasonable to assume we're still getting the 'New Switch' sometime this autumn. Weren't there reports in spring already that Nintendo was clearing its stock of 2017 models?
Yes, even going back to CY Q1. It's how analysts explained the lower than expected shipment figures vs sell-through, Nintendo's been slowly tightening supply for half a year now.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
I wonder if the DQ11 switch bundle will have the new SoC. Was able to preorder it from amazon jp and it comes out week after the lite. Hopefully it does
i have one ordered and i am wondering the same thing. i really hope so because i really like the look of it and wouldn't want to use another if the revision does actually have some benefits.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please get some different colours this time. The Lite and the turquoise is so damn enticing, but I need my TV out and removable joycons.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Nintendo uses the higher clockmodes that are already available.

Korok Forest is already playable without the worst hickups when overclocking the original Switch:

It would be enough if they clock the cpu a bit higher and the gpu to 920 in docked mode

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Worth noting it's not possible to charge the device whilst using the Homespot. Was an unfortunate deal breaker for me - my main use case for blue tooth audio is travelling in portable. HomeSpot gets good reviews though!

There is a similar device from Genki which has an USBC port for charging while using it. I have tested both and they are both very usable (lower lag than feared, it really is nearly instant with AirPods), but the Genki is more expensive. I am keeping the Genki.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so Mike got back to me again:

So when he talked about the base clock being increased he was referring to the maximum frequency (the 1228MHz vs the previous 921MHz), not the smallest clock interval value (38.4MHz for TX1). So disregard my theory from the other page.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A bit of amusing trivia, hopefully this wasn't already mentioned:

Ehm
@OtherEhm

The Switch Online feature icons are internally named "Paywall".

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Tegra Nano has 128 GPU cores out of 256 activated and runs at 236 GFLOPs on fp32. These specs fall in line with switch handheld specs. if we don't get Docked performance on handheld on Switch Lite, Tegra Nano isn't out of the question.
if its a x1 with half the GPU cores, it's a Tegra nano. lol. Also it will still have the same 25.6GB/s of bandwidth speed.

That is literally half a Switch, and doesn't jive with everything else out there, mainly the SoC being the same between Lite and the enhanced SKU

I'm guessing these are just binned shield tV or Switch SoCs with a defective cluster so they just disable the bad clusters and keep 2. Fairly common GPU practice. Budget cards are often the same chip as a the high tier card, except with several clusters of GPU cores disabled due to defects.

Last edited:

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
The light does not have half the GPU cores of the original. That's absurd lol. The old games wouldn't even be fully compatible

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017

So when he talked about the base clock being increased he was referring to the maximum frequency (the 1228MHz vs the previous 921MHz), not the smallest clock interval value (38.4MHz for TX1). So disregard my theory from the other page.

Ok. Thanks for getting that clarified. If 38.4MHz the smallest clock interval, the max for the new chip is base x 32. The max setting for the original TX1 should be x26 (1GHz) , but the max for the Switch is apparently x24 (921MHz), and the max frequency actually available for devs is x20 (768MHz).

If Nintendo does use the extra power of the new GPU, do we think that they would push the chip closer to its max than the original? If they did, the new chipset could increase the performance to over 50% from the original cap.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the m
Ok. Thanks for getting that clarified. If 38.4MHz the smallest clock interval, the max for the new chip is base x 32. The max setting for the original TX1 should be x26 (1GHz) , but the max for the Switch is apparently x24 (921MHz), and the max frequency actually available for devs is x20 (768MHz).

If Nintendo does use the extra power of the new GPU, do we think that they would push the chip closer to its max than the original? If they did, the new chipset could increase the performance to over 50% from the original cap.
if they maintain an equal number of steps down, they could clock the gpu to 1.08GHz, so it would put it over the OG. since the handheld max is over half the the docked spec, I'm thinking a new docked spec would be around 960MHz or something to maintain that ratio

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Since he's only talking about the max that could mean we only get a higher clock in docked mode and not portable

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20% cpu bump (1220MHz) improves RE4 framerate and Bloodstained load times significantly. there's not much discussion on gpu. there's not too much new if you seen his previous videos or even DF's overclocking video. he also thinks there's a proper Pro in the future

wasn't worth the watch, IMO

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
20% cpu bump (1220MHz) improves RE4 framerate and Bloodstained load times significantly. there's not much discussion on gpu. there's not too much new if you seen his previous videos or even DF's overclocking video. he also thinks there's a proper Pro in the future

wasn't worth the watch, IMO

These are for the Mini or speculation on what the enhanced Switch will get?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

Thraktor and Zombi3 had this covered a while back on the other thread iirc. Unless Mike is Thraktor...

That's a potential boost up to 60%, if the enhanced switch can reach the max clock of 1228MHz.. or 629GFLOPS. With the 16nm finfet chip, I don't see why Nintendo couldn't at least get 1.5x of 393, which is 590 GFLOPs.
That is literally half a Switch, and doesn't jive with everything else out there, mainly the SoC being the same between Lite and the enhanced SKU

I'm guessing these are just binned shield tV or Switch SoCs with a defective cluster so they just disable the bad clusters and keep 2. Fairly common GPU practice. Budget cards are often the same chip as a the high tier card, except with several clusters of GPU cores disabled due to defects.
Yes, I mentioned before that Tegra nano could be defective 16nm ones that didn't pass QC and got binned. This is just a theory that I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being true.

The light does not have half the GPU cores of the original. That's absurd lol. The old games wouldn't even be fully compatible
I didn't say it was missing half. Just that it could at least be deactivated on the tegra nano. Because half would be a pain to take out. And IF switch lite is based on the tegra nano, then I wouldn't be surprised. I'd rather this not be true, because I do think switch lite with all GPU available on a 16nm node is capable of running docked speeds at pretty close to the same energy as OG switch in handheld. That might not be unlocked by Nintendo initially, but would be really interesting to see hackers test it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.