• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but I figured maybe it's worth its own thread? I dunno, you be the judge. Mods can lock this if they see fit.

Also, I put "Factions" in quotation marks because it sounds like while it started out as a new iteration of the Factions mode, it's not really that anymore. It's its own thing.

Giant Bomb did a watchalong for today's Summer Game Fest stream. During the Last of Us segment, Jeff Grubb commented on "Factions": (if the timestamp on the embed below doesn't work, it's at the 2:02:05 mark)

Jeff Grubb said:
They're making a standalone multiplayer game that is not Factions. It's gonna be very, very live service-y. They're building all the services in so they can, like, swap in huge parts of it in and out. Like, that's what they've been working on and trying to make it bigger and bigger and more ambitious.
A few moments later, he says, "This is them talking about Factions, what Factions has become." And later, towards the end of GB's stream (2:13:40), he elaborates on what he said before, saying that Naughty Dog delayed the game because they wanted to make it more ambitious and its own thing rather than "just Factions," as well as taking the time to develop their tools to where they can create new content and implement it easily without requiring huge downloads on the players' side.

The game being very "games as a service"-y shouldn't be a surprise at this point given that Sony has said they want to move into that space pretty hard, but even with that in mind, it sounds like this game is going to be very large-scale compared to what Factions was in the first game (which Naughty Dog has indicated as much, considering the concept art that they shared today, and Druckmann saying that this is as big as any of their single player games). And it's a relief to hear that Naughty Dog has taken so long partly because they want to make sure they get their tech right before releasing the game-- that's something that has really hindered games like Destiny.

As for my own speculation: if I had to guess, the game will retain the survival elements of Factions, but take place in a large open environment where the story and parts of the world change on a seasonal basis, akin to Fortnite and CoD: Warzone. It might still involve competing / fighting against other players, but will also have PvE elements to it (judging by the concept art shared today). Maybe it'll be somewhat like The Division, but with The Last of Us' gameplay (specifically, TLoU Part II). Which would be pretty damn rad in my book.

Very excited to hear more about this so that we get a clearer idea of what exactly it'll be. It sucks that Naughty Dog won't be sharing more until next year, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I would be cool with a Destiny The Last of Us. Getting into Destiny is a clusterfuck nowadays. HOWEVER, I really hope it has a BR mode. So many great ideas in TLOU universe for a BR.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is music to my ears. A massive, quality MP title that can keep me busy in-between the blockbuster SP stuff.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Not liking horror/zombie games has meant I've never been able to get into TLOU, but I'll watch the show and give this a go.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused by this line. Is he saying they're making a second game that's not Factions? Or that the new Factions isn't going to be like the first one?
He's saying this game started as a new iteration of Factions, but has since become much bigger and "its own thing".

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want this game to be good. I need it to be. The gameplay mechanics of TLoU 2 were so goddamn good and I think that they lend themselves perfectly for an open-world, PUBG-like multiplayer experience.

Also, do we know if it's going to be PS5-only? I really hope so. I want this game to take full advantage of the PS5's hardware.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
OG Factions is right up there with my favorite multiplayer games of all time. I hope they pull it off, and it doesn't feel like some GAAS experiment.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
ugh .. so sad to see Naughty dog talent being wasted on a live service game
Uncharted 2 deja-vu

these multiplayer projects adds staff And/or gives them things To work on while their next project is in early development stages. same with TLOU remake

so I'll take that over traditional mass layoffs after a game releases

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
From the Summer Games Show, it sounds like this is going to be an ambitious multiplayer story-driven game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I thought you had to be on gamepass to be a game like this?

Jokes aside, im in for a try a least, Naughty Dog has proven time and time again they know what they're doing and are a team that will absolutely get the benefit of the doubt from me, lets hope they don't fallout 76 my ass.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Also, do we know if it's going to be PS5-only? I really hope so. I want this game to take full advantage of the PS5's hardware.

We don't, though it seems like a safe bet (even more now that we know the remake is PS5 only).

I'm assuming they don't want to be limited by PS4 hardware for years to come while creating new content for this game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
From the Summer Games Show, it sounds like this is going to be an ambitious multiplayer story-driven game.
Titanfall was also story driven, as was Anthem, and Fallout 76, when a studio says something like that after making great single player games its because they don't want their single player fans to be scared. Hopefully they do break the pattern here though.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They're building all the services in so they can, like, swap in huge parts of it in and out.
Could be completely wrong, but to me this sounds like a map which will get regular changes. Buildings being destroyed, rebuild, streets being blocked, streets which were ones blocked being reopened and maybe even the map being made bigger post-launch.
Maybe there'll also be multiple AI factions within the city and as time progresses the parts of the city under control of those factions changes?

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there'll also be multiple AI factions within the city and as time progresses the parts of the city under control of those factions changes?
That's what ran through my mind. Plus, in the concept art, you can see a big dust storm starting to roll in. I think we'll see not just the various factions affecting the environment, but weather as well.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Could be completely wrong, but to me this sounds like a map which will get regular changes. Buildings being destroyed, rebuild, streets being blocked, streets which were ones blocked being reopened and maybe even the map being made bigger post-launch.

What if it was new cities….?

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Better have the rope mechanic from UC4 and TLOU2. I want to swing my ass to safety when that giant fog of spores is coming close. XD

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's less like The Division and more like Tarkov or Hunt Showdown (Which I think it will be). I'm so excited for this game!

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Oof.

I'll give it a chance, but like...I don't want a live service game. I just expected a straightforward MP game (though is any MP exclusive game considered live service nowadays?)

It's the least hype thing I could learn about the game, tbh.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Titanfall was also story driven, as was Anthem, and Fallout 76, when a studio says something like that after making great single player games its because they don't want their single player fans to be scared. Hopefully they do break the pattern here though.
I have faith in Naughty Dog. The reason it split into a separate game anyways was because their ambition for the project kept growing during development, until it became a standalone thing.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, every gaas would have some kind of story to introduce the players to its content and mechanics.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Oof.

I'll give it a chance, but like...I don't want a live service game. I just expected a straightforward MP game (though is any MP exclusive game considered live service nowadays?)

What's the difference between a live service game and a straightforward MP game? Any multiplayer game with constant content updates is a live service game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oof.

Any game with updates is a service, and without updates this would be dead in a week

I just hope there's no FOMO or P2W

Oct 31, 2017
I just want classic factions with part 2's gameplay. better not be pay to win.
Me too, but I don't think we are getting this and I think we are going to be the (heavily) minority opinion sadly. The closest we'll probably get (if that) is some siloed, token gesture of a mode that will exist to mostly placate people like us. Something that won't actually be a good replication of what we're actually wanting though.

It's seeming an awful lot like a Titanfall -> Apex Legends situation. Respawn and big fans of Apex Legends first and foremost will say that this is nothing but a good thing, but those of us who are more interested in and appreciative of experiences closer to Titanfall will probably see this as a side-grade at absolute best, with it not being a good substitute or downright not very compelling at worst.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between a live service game and a straightforward MP game? Any multiplayer game with constant content updates is a live service game.
To me, it's the constant monetization. Battle passes or lootboxes or microtransactions. There used to be a time where the only updates you had to pay for was maps and that's it. That's how I differentiate something, for example, the Halo 2/3 days vs what we have with Infinite now.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

depends. MP in most games doesn't change too much. you've got map packs, etc. they're kind of intended to be an experience as it is rather than a long ongoing thing.

live service games are platforms intended to constantly have new content added. they're meant to last for a long time, with constant work. a group of people constantly working on them.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
As long as there's no pay to win nonsense, I'm down. I'm still traumatized by that stupid pay walled perk in the first factions where you get insta smoked bombed and shivved

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
"They're building all the services in so they can, like, swap in huge parts of it in and out. "

What does he mean by this?