• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Update: See Threadmarks

Source

Theaters in five remaining territories still showing "Pokémon Detective Pikachu" propelled the adventure movie past US$436m worldwide, a new record for films based on video games.

"Pokémon Detective Pikachu" is now the most commercially successful movie to be based on a video game, after weekend takings pushed it into top spot.

Should hold that title for a while.

Lock if old.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
No cool Pokemon fight scenes? I don't feel like I'm missing out lol

Sadly not. It is made for the typical kids scene. As someone who was 13 when R/B came out I was hoping for a bit more "obscure nostalgia bombs" thrown in and while they are "there" it wasnt quite enough to sell me. Kids will definitely love it though.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Absolutely deserved. Really hope they take a chance at an original Pokemon story next time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, as someone who hasn't been following it the last thing I saw were a lot of people being pretty ironclad about it being a distant third.

What happened?

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Not a video game adaptation.
tenor.gif

Actual Box Office

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for someone to post this.

Look at their math
Cinemas in Norway, New Zealand, Slovenia, Portugal and Colombia generated US$6,994 over the weekend of July 12-14, per data published by Amazon's Box Office Mojo.
By adding that to tallies of US$143.3m (domestic, as of July 14) and US$286m (foreign, as of July 7), at US$436m

And they are using Box Office Mojo as their source.
Box Office Mojo has the total at $429,395,333.

So this is fake news from Yahoo, because they couldn't add or read their own source.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Yet people keep saying this bombed and killed all prospects for future Pokemon movies.
Because it just being the top grossing doesn't mean automatically make it a big success. When you factor in marketing budget, plus the amount of movie the film companies get back at the end of the day (for example studios make less of a cut in China compared to other countries).