• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 19, 2019
I think people need to let go of the idea of this being a faithful translation of the video game's plot.

If the trailers are anything to go by, this looks like they went the smart route by developing it as a an actual film with a good screenplay and all of the elements that make for an entertaining movie for a wide audience first and foremost...and it just happens to be set in a world of Pokémon.

That's primarily why they have me on board for this; I'm not the biggest fan of the franchise and even I want to see this because of how entertaining it looks. Not because I want to see a freaking Charizard in a film or the Kanto region faithful recreated.

This film had to have been an immense undertaking in how best to balance what makes a good FILM with what will make for a good Pokémon movie.

Anyone walking in looking for instant fan service gratification (and I'm sure there will be plenty) needs to check themselves.

I mean, I'm talking explicitly about Detective Pikachu the game. The plot in it was so good, and it's hard to see liberties taken as a good choice. I'll go in with an open-mind, I'm just worried is all.

OP
OP
ReiGun

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I think we are reaching a point where yesterday's game movies were made by people who didn't grow up with games but today's game movies are made by people who grew up with games. It's quite clear that someone in this studio knows what's up with the franchise and didn't drastically distort it.
It also probably didn't hurt that they had The Pokemon Company looking over their shoulder the whole time. From interviews, you get the idea that TPC was very actively involved.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Only just saw the latest trailer in the theaters yesterday... and this might actually be really good? I'm sold.

Also whoever the girl is with the Psyduck is unbearably cute like jfc.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It also probably didn't hurt that they had The Pokemon Company looking over their shoulder the whole time. From interviews, you get the idea that TPC was very actively involved.
TPC has always been super involved with the franchise. The voice actor who played Professor Oak in the 4Kids seasons said in an interview there was always a representative from Nintendo who'd sit in on the recordings who would sometimes offer his own suggestions.

Probably how you get something like this as opposed to Dragonball Evolution or Sonic where it couldn't be clearer the original rights-holders just didn't give a fuck.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm talking explicitly about Detective Pikachu the game. The plot in it was so good, and it's hard to see liberties taken as a good choice. I'll go in with an open-mind, I'm just worried is all.

Having not played the game and only having read the plot, there's a lot of fat that could be cut out to make a 6 hour experience into a 2 hour one and still have it hit the same beats. The storyline and premise itself is simple.

A pikachu with detective skills called Detective Pikachu arrives at a home and discovers it can talk to a boy with a missing dad. The two go off into the world to find the missing dad and uncover why Det. Pikachu has amnesia.

That ain't deep manga.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReiGun

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
TPC has always been super involved with the franchise. The voice actor who played Professor Oak in the 4Kids seasons said in an interview there was always a representative from Nintendo who'd sit in on the recordings who would sometimes offer his own suggestions.

Probably how you get something like this as opposed to Dragonball Evolution or Sonic where it couldn't be clearer the original rights-holders just didn't give a fuck.
Ahh. So nothing out of the norm then.

One story from Detective Pikachu I found interesting was that Mr. Mime nearly got cut. Apparently, the director got turned down at first because TPC thought it would be too weird. So ended up needing permission from the President of the company. They also ended up cutting Sawk because the movie crew misunderstood that its karate gi was actually skin and they couldn't come up with a design TPC would approve.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Reynolds' career never needed turning around. He's been a very busy actor for, like, 20 years. Green Lantern could have somewhat tarnished his bankability, but I don't think it did, and it was canceled out by Deadpool anyway.

He did have a few back to back flops or a string of them. Green Lantern and that one movie where he's a Detective Ghost Hunter who's dead. I can't remember the name despite going with my daughter to see it in the movies on opening day. It wasn't good at all.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did have a few back to back flops or a string of them. Green Lantern and that one movie where he's a Detective Ghost Hunter who's dead. I can't remember the name despite going with my daughter to see it in the movies on opening day. It wasn't good at all.

He did, yeah, but I don't think anybody blamed those on him. Hollywood never doubted Ryan Reynolds was professional, talented and likable, so he kept getting work regardless. Detective Pikachu won't change anything for him, I don't think, unless it really blows up, which I don't see happening. And if it flops, people will blame it on the video game/anime adaptation curse. He'd come out unscathed. I expect everyone to agree that Reynolds did great here.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He did, yeah, but I don't think anybody blamed those on him. Hollywood never doubted Ryan Reynolds was professional, talented and likable, so he kept getting work regardless. Detective Pikachu won't change anything for him, I don't think, unless it really blows up, which I don't see happening. And if it flops, people will blame it on the video game/anime adaptation curse. He'd come out unscathed. I expect everyone to agree that Reynolds did great here.

I don't see Detective Pikachu flopping at all. I don't want to push the subject of Reynold's career because I'm not looking up quotes from some sites I don't remember and I'm honestly a big Ryan Reynold support myself.

Deadpool did wonders for his career and if Detective Pikachu blows up how I think it will people are going to give a lot of (well deserved) credit to him for its success and for being the pillar of all future Pokémon Universe movies whether he's in those movies or not.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just now noticing the joltiks on the phone pole lines.

Fucking. Terrifying.

Wake up in the morning and you find they've evolved and theres like six galvantulas crawling all over your apartment building.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am certainly planning to buy a ticket to see Pokemon: Detective Pikachu. My local Cinemark movie theater lists showings on May 9th, a day before the official U.S. release of May 10th. I'm hoping that Cinemark would give away the special Pokemon TCG card on May 9th.

Pokemon could very well become a cinematic universe as the original joint press release from Legendary and The Pokemon Company stated that Detective Pikachu would be the launch of a "Pokémon live-action film franchise": http://corporate.legendary.com/legendary-and-pokemon-co-to-create-live-action-detective-pikachu/

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, we're projecting the success of a Pokemon movie in Japan onto North America?

It released in Japan and was successful there? I can only speak for what I've seen and all I've seen is genuine excitement surrounding it.

Even without the success of Japan I would've said it would so gangbusters in North America. Pokemon is still insanely popular here and do you remember the gargantuan buzz around the trailer?

I agree. People think it's not going to do well? I'm over here thinking it has a shot at a billion world wide.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The reveal trailer has 60M views on the main channel and 1.4M Likes. Movies getting these king of pre-release metrics are assured to do well, now the question is more on how well it'll do.

Some recent movies and their initial trailer reception :

Captain Marvel : 56M Views , 1,1M Likes ; 1B+ on the BO
Aquaman : 58M Views, 645k Likes ; 1B+ on the BO

The retention through trailers is also very good which seems to indicate that people are still very interested in the movie.

Oct 28, 2017
Just now noticing the joltiks on the phone pole lines.

Fucking. Terrifying.

Wake up in the morning and you find they've evolved and theres like six galvantulas crawling all over your apartment building.
Makes you wonder if the Pokemon world has an equivalent for pest control. I hope the movie is touches upon subjects like that and people eating Pokemon.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Does this film have an art book release lined up, or are there any online albums from CG artists who have worked on the film?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even the "What a Pikachu World" trailer that Ryan Reynolds put on his own Youtube page is at 4.6 million views after only a few days.

Honestly? I think this movie is going to be really big.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Looking forward to this movie more than any other releasing this year.
Hoping it ends up being super good and super successful so we end up getting more of these.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The reveal trailer has 60M views on the main channel and 1.4M Likes. Movies getting these king of pre-release metrics are assured to do well, now the question is more on how well it'll do.

Some recent movies and their initial trailer reception :

Captain Marvel : 56M Views , 1,1M Likes ; 1B+ on the BO
Aquaman : 58M Views, 645k Likes ; 1B+ on the BO

The retention through trailers is also very good which seems to indicate that people are still very interested in the movie.

Are there any actual box office predictions for this movie?

Village

Oct 25, 2017

That's not fair. Akira toriyama litterally went to visit the folks making the movie and he was ignored.

And on sonic's part, while not confirmed its a good chance its a really old contract where the film makers get to do whatever and there isn't much say in the matter with the rights holders. I'm sure plenty of people at sega don't want ... whatever that film is gonna be , they just can't do anything about it

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
This movie is going to make an easy 1B. I've been saying it since the 1st trailer.

With the good reviews, if its actually good, the wom plus Ryan Reynolds going all in in its promotion is an easier bet.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
All of jelly

I hope you post your thoughts!

It's pretty good. I didn't laugh at as many of Reynolds' zingers as the rest of the audience did but his Pikachu keeps it consistent without overwhelming the narrative, which is full goofy, like one of the anime Pokemon movies brought to life. The story is very well-wrought though, lots of twists and turns and it keeps itself moving at a brisk pace throughout, again despite having a basic plot lifted right out of 90s kids movies or shonen anime movies. Visual effects are great, and it's a different take on Pokemon given the plot being in a city where Pokemon battles are both culturally discouraged and illegal.

Second guess your instincts about where the story is going as you watch.

OP
OP
ReiGun

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Screenings happening in the states tonight.

Can't find any negative impressions (and believe me, I'm looking). The worst anyone has had to say is that it's just "good."

They might done pulled this shit off.

Edit: Just as soon as I say that I find one person. lol Doesn't look like they're a critic or press though.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good. I didn't laugh at as many of Reynolds' zingers as the rest of the audience did but his Pikachu keeps it consistent without overwhelming the narrative, which is full goofy, like one of the anime Pokemon movies brought to life. The story is very well-wrought though, lots of twists and turns and it keeps itself moving at a brisk pace throughout, again despite having a basic plot lifted right out of 90s kids movies or shonen anime movies. Visual effects are great, and it's a different take on Pokemon given the plot being in a city where Pokemon battles are both culturally discouraged and illegal.

Second guess your instincts about where the story is going as you watch.

Thanks for sharing!