• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think them acknowledging real-world France is the first real mistake this movie has made, lol

There is no France in the Pokemon world. There's Kalos!

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
FNR81oZ.gif

GOAT

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is a "trailer 2".

This looks like a TV spot.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That Dragon Ball movie was aggressively offensively bad and I'm not even a fan of the anime or the manga.
Yeah, it's not that a straight adaptation would have necessarily been better but at least it would have had some of the same appeal.

Whenever Hollywood takes an anime, manga, video game etc. and tries to shoehorn it into a formula it almost never works because not only does it go over like a lead balloon with non-fans, but not even the fans will want anything to do with it. Here at least a Pokemon fan might get some enjoyment out of this movie, even if it doesn't go over well with critics/mass audiences.

we finally made it

pokemon CU

i hope we get a girl trainer as lead before my daughter is like 5 or 6
real talk the Red/Blue adaptation should star Green

200px-Female_Trainer_SSBU.png

do it, cowards

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The France reference is probably another name for Kalos.

The games have referenced the real world loads like Mew being discovered in South America and Lt.Surge being American. I think they're just treating America as another term for Unova.

I'm not saying it is America, just a term they use.

Oct 25, 2017
I always imagined Lickitung covered in very short/fine fur with a big bushy pink tail. Especially because the tail is drawn sort of like a squirrel/fox tail and Lickilicky has what looks like a curly hair tuft on its head with no differentiation of texture between the head and the hair or the tail.

Maybe I was wrong but this skin creature freaks me out.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Still not in love with the art direction/ color grading of what has been shown of this movie. I guess it's going for a kind of noir look but I don't think it looks great and doesn't feel like Pokémon at all

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in the Pokemon world, Kalos is just a region in France.
Kalos isn't really big enough to be a whole country.

The Kanto and Johto regions are just regions of Japan

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The Lickitung seems somewhat born in an incestuous Lovecraftian cult.

So they have done well.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I seriously don't understand the complaints about the designs. It's literally Pokemon but realistic fur and scales and texture. Like literally the basic designs with life textures. It looks great

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'll be that crazy guy in the movies yelling to the kids "Oh, you think Pokémon is cool. But you merely adopted the games; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see a 3D Pokémon until I was already a man".

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in the Pokemon world, Kalos is just a region in France.
Kalos isn't really big enough to be a whole country.

The Kanto and Johto regions are just regions of Japan

Another idea is that Kalos is Paris. Unova is New York. Like I'm not talking inspiration. In the Pokemon world due to well, Pokemon existing, somethings stayed the same while others changed. America still ended up being named America, but New York wasn't named New York, it was named Unova. France was still named France but Kalos was founded instead of Paris.

Makes things simpler to think about, no?

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this movie will bank more on how many different pokemon you see and nothing more. Story, direction, and acting will mean nothing to me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if the film is going to be good but it'll be fun just for the Pokemon.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The Bulbasaur looks like it would feel like watermelon rind and I'm a little creeped out by it. I can't wait for this movie.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Where is my thundershock? why are they not showing Pikachu thunder shocking something

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Early episodes of the anime don't count. They were still trying to figure out how to establish the world of Pokemon, and back then they still featured real-life animals instead of Pokemon completely replacing them.
Ponyta's Pokedex entry from Pokemon Stadium:

KyFUXHU.png

Pokemon making references to real world locations is nothing new.

While it's true this was mostly just in the early stuff, some of that still has still carried over to the current generations.