• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see this, the Pokemon look gross and I love it. I REALLLLLLLY hope the Switch Pokemon makes the monsters look a bit more, less cute, grotesque. Gimme that nasty Magmar.

Oct 27, 2017
Marketing is really keeping the reveals close to the chest. Aside from that lickatung... nothing really TOO different from what we've seen...... and I LIKE IT. Save it for the movie!

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Growlithe at 13 seconds?
7KF4IX6.png

Growlithe looks high as fuck.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
So Kalos doesn't cover all of France, so I guess France as a country could exist in the Pokémon world...

On the other hand, Let's Go didn't keep in the references to America so who knows.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Love the look of this movie. It's definitely not what I expected at first, but they are pocket monsters after all and would most likely look this spooky in the real world.

Either way a definite must watch for me. First Pokémon movie I'll be seeing at cinemas since the very first one.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Another idea is that Kalos is Paris. Unova is New York. Like I'm not talking inspiration. In the Pokemon world due to well, Pokemon existing, somethings stayed the same while others changed. America still ended up being named America, but New York wasn't named New York, it was named Unova. France was still named France but Kalos was founded instead of Paris.

Makes things simpler to think about, no?

Kalos covers the center and north of France though, only the south is left out. Still, "France" could reference Kalos and whatever is the region to the South of Kalos together.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Kalos covers the center and north of France though, only the south is left out. Still, "France" could reference Kalos and whatever is the region to the South of Kalos together.

I honestly I haven't played X and Y in like forever so I forgot what the region of Kalos actually looked like.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Love the look of this movie. It's definitely not what I expected at first, but they are pocket monsters after all and would most likely look this spooky in the real world.

Either way a definite must watch for me. First Pokémon movie I'll be seeing at cinemas since the very first one.

The look has surprisingly grown on me a lot. At first it was jarring but I think it is actively trying to be distinct from yet respectful of the games. I think Ryan Reynolds is going to kill it and more and more he seems like a great fit, his sense of humor, for Detective Pikachu. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it does well so they can and are allowed to really do their all with Illumination's Super Mario Bros. movie coming up.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like my son Lickitung oscillates between adorable and quietly menacing/terrifying, so this rendition of Lickitung is a-ok by me.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I don't get the whole Pikachu as an old man thing but I must be out of touch.

The whole thing really just begs the question of how far is Hollywood going to take Pokémon and Nintendo stuff once they realize it's a goldmine.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Like anime Meowth, you trade your pokemon abilities for the ability to speak.
I always took it that anime Meowth is just really weak, not that he can't use any Pokémon abilities. He does battle from time to time.

I don't get the whole Pikachu as an old man thing but I must be out of touch.

The whole thing really just begs the question of how far is Hollywood going to take Pokémon and Nintendo stuff once they realize it's a goldmine.
They're already making three more movies - a Red/Blue adaptation, a Mewtwo-focused movie, and a sequel to this one.

There's also a CGI remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back (the first anime movie) coming out in Japan this summer, and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they sprung for a wide release in the US. It has a dead lock on the nostalgia market and it Detective Pikachu does well, it'd be a good way to capitalize on that. (The last few have received limited releases here)

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The only movie I'm excited more to see than Detective Pikachu is Dune.

Going to be a nice nostalgia ride