• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Against. There's no damn way this flick has that much in terms of legs, given the reviews, and it isn't clear enough counterprogramming against Endgame.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nominating this as the collective avatar of the FOR betters if when Detective Pikachu fails to gross 1B:

FzGOlNW.png
Love this, I like digimon more than Pokémon anyways

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So maybe it's just me, but while it is true that Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, I'm not 100% sure why some people figured that auotmatically meant the film was going to be a mega hit.

I'm under the impression Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world because its a franchise that has some very consistent money makers in a wide variety of markets, such as video games, merchandising, trading cards, etc. Obviously, there's no downplaying that part.

But I'm not sure how that automatically translates to "big hollywood hit". Not only is this the first live action Pokemon film, but its a pretty divisive one crtically too, that seems to be ok with just appealing to ts fans rather than making a lot of new ones.

It's not like bombs are a new thing to Pokemon either (granted I'm under the impression that detective pikachu isn't exactly a bomb yet either). Hell, iirc the actual detective pikachu game didn't do all that hot either lol

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I told y'all video game sales don't always translate to box office

"Biggest IP in the world"

At least we can all rest easy knowing it'll be better than the Sonic movie at least
Even if it did translate, assuming full price for every sale the average Pokémon generation does about $650m in revenue.

Last edited:

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I thought we were talking 1b lifetime, which is deffo possible for a Hollywood Pokemon movie. Opening weekend and all of its theater run I expect a fraction of that, it isn't like GoT or Star Wars where we're all desperately waiting for a years' long payoff that will ultimately be milquetoast and completely unsatisfying.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about Pokemon, but never thought a movie would look as drab and boring as this one does.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought we were talking 1b lifetime, which is deffo possible for a Hollywood Pokemon movie. Opening weekend and all of its theater run I expect a fraction of that, it isn't like GoT or Star Wars where we're all desperately waiting for a years' long payoff that will ultimately be milquetoast and completely unsatisfying.

The legs it would take to make $1B from the start it's looking to have (with only ~$50M for it's domestic OW) would have to be certifiably insane, especially considering how packed, stacked and jacked this summer is.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone else believe this movie had a shot at a billion if it released well before or after Endgame? Its release date was terrible.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Does anyone else believe this movie had a shot at a billion if it released well before or after Endgame? Its release date was terrible.

Only other month I think it could have had potential for was October (Joker and Maleficent 2 the only things that look like they'll make significant money there). Everything else has at least one thing that would have crippled its legs/limited its potential

Next month: Secret Life of Pets 2, MIB International, Toy Story 4
July: Spider-Man FFH, Lion King
August: Hobbs & Shaw
Sept: It Chapter 2
Nov: Frozen 2
Dec: Jumanji 3, Star Wars 9

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
No I don't. It's long enough after Endgame, but it just looks so-so.

And yet, at least by me, Endgame showings this weekend have still been filling up, and AMC Dolby Auditoriums snubbed Pikachu in favor of keeping Avengers in it for another week.

John Wick gets the AMC Dolby treatment next week, and Godzilla the week after. Pikachu got screwed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Only other month I think it could have had potential for was October (Joker and Maleficent 2 the only things that look like they'll make significant money there). Everything else has at least one thing that would have crippled its legs/limited its potential

Next month: Secret Life of Pets 2, MIB International, Toy Story 4
July: Spider-Man FFH, Lion King
August: Hobbs & Shaw
Sept: It Chapter 2
Nov: Frozen 2
Dec: Jumanji 3, Star Wars 9

You could probbaly put it in August or September. I feel like young Kids probably aren't gonna be watching Hobbs and Shaw or IT 2.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah with the current tracking this ain't hitting a bil, shame as it is since the reveal was fire at the start.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah with the current tracking this ain't hitting a bil, shame as it is since the reveal was fire at the start.

I feel like, in retrospect, they overplayed their hand with that first trailer. Yeah, it was a hell of a reveal and generated a shit-ton of hype, but they failed to keep the momentum going from there because there wasn't much left they could show. They should have been more coy about it all, like, say, only revealing Pkachu in the initial trailer and saving stuff like the Mr. Mime and Charizard sequences, and honestly just the entire realization of the larger Pokemon world for later trailers.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It never had a chance of a billion. If it ever did, even Endgame wouldn't have suddenly just cut the gross in half. It doesn't work like that. It's not like its third weekend is eating up that much of the box office. There's more than enough opportunity for a film to hit $150+ this weekend, but I'm sure people will desperately cling to the "bad" release date killing it. Maybe in a completely dead season it would have done better by virtue of being the only choice, but even then it's not suddenly doing hundreds of millions more.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I feel like, in retrospect, they overplayed their hand with that first trailer. Yeah, it was a hell of a reveal and generated a shit-ton of hype, but they failed to keep the momentum going from there because there wasn't much left they could show. They should have been more coy about it all, like, say, only revealing Pkachu in the initial trailer and saving stuff like the Mr. Mime and Charizard sequences, and honestly just the entire realization of the larger Pokemon world for later trailers.

I feel like aside from the whole cgi Pokémon brought to life thing, the trailers relied a bit too much on just going "Hey look, it's Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu, isn't that a crazy choice?" and not much else.

I mean compare it's trailers to other kids films like Toy Story 4, How to train your dragon 3 and so on and it's obvious which trailers have greater family appeal. They show so much more, from imagery to characters to story and emotions.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
lol, just seen my name was put down for 'For' despite my bet being for one billion yen.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely anecdotal but I noticed there are a ton of available seats at my local theatre for Detective Pikachu this weekend. Man, i was really hoping this would be a hit.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Completely anecdotal but I noticed there are a ton of available seats at my local theatre for Detective Pikachu this weekend. Man, i was really hoping this would be a hit.
On Thursday, we were basically 20-25 in a 150 seats room. Ok, it was the first showing and it was late afternoon while I suppose in the evening there would have been more people, but at the same time the room for Endgame had more people despite not being its first week.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personal experience, but at least here on the forst 3 days almost all rooms have been empty for preorder

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show I am at is very full, and there's a lot of kids here. If the movie does take off with this demographic I expect it to do well. Not billion dollars well, but far better than people on Era are expecting.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you believe everything you read on wikipedia? That list seems tailor made to place Pokemon in that position, by intentionally splitting up things like the Marvel and DC universes into a number of arbitrary categories, excluding television revenue for things like star trek, etc.

you don't do this, and pokemon gets obliterated easily.
That list is using numbers as reported by the various companies themselves, as you can see in the sources.

Take it up with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That list is using numbers as reported by the various companies themselves, as you can see in the sources.

it really isn't. Learning the difference between actual, reported numbers for a franchise (which doesn't exist, btw) and a fan article put together from (BADLY) cherry picked sources is probably a good idea going forward.

For instance- print comic revenue in the US is somewhere around a billion dollars a year.

https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/05/04/comic-book-revenues-all-time-high-2018-/

Marvel controls about half of that market. Nowhere in that chart is print comic revenue for the marvel universe accounted for (the MCU link cites the revenue from a laughable dozen tie in comics and nothing else), and marvel has been printing and selling books since 1963 or so.

The "TV revenue" number for Star Trek cites an article from **1998**. Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery hadn't even finished airing by then.

There's a reason universities don't let you cite wikipedia as a source for things.

Last edited:

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Ryan Reynolds was a mistake. Where this should have been marketed as a colorful fun adventure it seems to have been pushed through a prism of snarky gags and a really stupid assed twist.
The effects team did amazing work and it is too bad the writers shat the bed

Oct 27, 2017
You got John Wick next week, than you got Aladdin the following week than Godzilla joins the fray after that. That doesn't help.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the numbers on this are are old and outdated or just blatantly wrong. For example the "TV revenue – $4.5 million" for Star Wars is completely wrong. The last domestic tv deal alone covering 6 years netted Disney/Lucasfilm 275 million.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ryan Reynolds was a mistake. Where this should have been marketed as a colorful fun adventure it seems to have been pushed through a prism of snarky gags and a really stupid assed twist.
The effects team did amazing work and it is too bad the writers shat the bed

the movie will be fine. It's going to outgross every other pokemon theatrical film by a WIDE margin.

Expecting it to clock a billion dollars was nonsense from the start. Doesn't matter who you cast, pokemon has never had that kind of pull for TV and film. you want to clock those kinds of numbers, MAYBE a Disney/Pixar partnership could have done it because there are a ton of people that will flock to those sight unseen.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world" thing is something people actually said and not a joke?

LMAO

oh god I needed this laugh

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The "Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world" thing is something people actually said and not a joke?

LMAO

oh god I needed this laugh

yeah, I've seen it before this thread. Someone made that wikipedia article and a few web based outlets ran with the concept as click bait.

The wikipedia itself is one of the most poorly sourced things I've ever seen- it's amazing it hasn't been corrected or removed, some of the data there is egregiously wrong, misleading, or out of date. As mentioned, the "TV revenue" number for Star Trek is from a 1998 article. TWENTY YEARS out of date.

Like...there's making mistakes, and there's "barely trying." the wiki article seems tailor made to prop up pokemon and not much else- does anyone REALLY think Winnie the Goddamned Pooh is a more valuable media franchise than Star Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.