• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I'll gladly change once it's out of theaters and hasn't reached 1 Billion as that was what was stated in the OP when I made the bet. can't just call that shit after a week.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'll gladly change once it's out of theaters and hasn't reached 1 Billion as that was what was stated in the OP when I made the bet. can't just call that shit after a week.

That's true, those were the original terms.

I'll happily wear the av, but with us wearing them early, then should the 1 billion mark come by the time it leaves theaters I'd expect for the AGAINST group to wear an avatar of our choosing for one month + a time equivalent to the entire theatrical run of Detective Pikachu.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Show your work on how it can reach a billion worldwide after having made under $55mil in the United States in its first (and by definition biggest, because of how opening weekends work for films) full weekend

This won't make near $200mil domestic, which would mean it'd need over $800mil internationally. Do you think it's possible, and how with a $112mil start there?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Please show the math on how it actually gets to $1b off of the last weekend. Because it won't add up.
Accept the loss.
Show your work on how it can reach a billion worldwide after having made under $55mil in the United States in its first (and by definition biggest, because of how opening weekends work for films) full weekend

This won't make near $200mil domestic, which would mean it'd need over $800mil internationally. Do you think it's possible, and how with a $112mil start there?

If, by the end of its box office run, Detective Pikachu has grossed less than 1B worldwide, those who bet AGAINST 1B WW get to chose the collective avatar of the other side.
If, by the end of its box office run, Detective Pikachu has grossed 1B+ worldwide, those who bet FOR 1B WW get to chose the collective avatar of the other side.
Avatars will last for one month.
Just following the original terms of the bet.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
So have the collective fors decided on my new avatar? Can someone pm it to me or quote me with the link?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This is how Zootopia made a Billion

Opening International Weekend
$4,500,000

Final International Box Office
$682,515,947

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So have the collective Goes decided on my new avatar? Can someone pm it to me or quote me with the link?

FzGOlNW.png

SweetNicole can you add a Threadmark for everyone who needs to collect their Badass Greymon Avatar please?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
$250m of Zootopia's gross came from China, where it didn't open until 4 months later.

Pikachu opened in more big territories for opening weekend than Zootopia did.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Because I posted a joke pointing out the lack of denomination in the OP? At the time of posting that the film already had an opening of over ¥900m which is why I posted what I did - because it was a safe thing to say. Hadn't even noticed I was put in the OP until later. Not my fault the post wasn't read properly. I bet ¥1billion and it made over that.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I posted a joke pointing out the lack of denomination in the OP? At the time of posting that the film already had an opening of over ¥900m which is why I posted what I did - because it was a safe thing to say. Hadn't even noticed I was put in the OP until later. Not my fault the post wasn't read properly. I bet ¥1billion and it made over that.
You shouldn't have said "FOR" then

May 10, 2018
FzGOlNW.png

For people, the avatar is waiting for you. If you think there's STILL a chance that the movie breaks 1 Billion WW at the Box Office, you'll need to show the math at how you're arriving at that conclusion. It had a 58M opening weekend.

This is the WW total for the opening weekend, and every weekend the amount a movie makes goes down a large amount.

Otherwise, say hello to your new avatar until Wednesday, June 12th. Please reply in this thread when you have put the avatar on so we can see the glorious avatar for ourselves.

Y'all gotta show your work otherwise change that avatar.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Dude. Lol. You gotta own up.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
And the OP's post or title still doesn't specify a denomination so my original bet still stands. If you can show me it didn't make over a billion yen I'll be happy to concede.

1 American Billion or regular billion?

This is a few posts down on the first page. You can continue to play semantics, but it is and was clear that it 1B USD. Don't be a coward or a sore loser. It's just an avatar...

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the OP's post or title still doesn't specify a denomination so my original bet still stands. If you can show me it didn't make over a billion yen I'll be happy to concede.
It's an American film from an American company. The billion implied is clearly USD.

You lost. Just accept it.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People still aren't admitting defeat? Won't put it on until it's done in theaters? Talking about the possibility of it surprising Against voters? Saying they assumed it was 1 billion yen? 😂😂😂😂

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is a few posts down on the first page. You can continue to play semantics, but it is and was clear that it 1B USD. Don't be a coward or a sore loser. It's just an avatar...

Whoa, you still didn't say USD, just "American billion". As my wife who is from Mexico will fight anyone on, America's billions are different from theirs.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

It won't, and I would like to see the math of how you get there, but that aside, if you want to wait til the end of the BO run that is fine, but you'll still have to put the avatar on for a month at that time (end of BO run) per the original rules of the bet. Or you could concede now, put it on a for a month, and be done with it. Choice is yours.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Dude. Lol. You gotta own up.
My post was pretty clear.

If you weren't sure, then you shouldn't have taken the bet.
Well technically I wasn't…

I saw that as asking whether 9 zeros (a.k.a the american billion) or 12 zeros (the old British billion).

I'm not being a sore loser. I make a joke and apparently it was misunderstood. Like you said, it's just an avatar, so no idea why people are so keen on jumping down my throats cos they misunderstood.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My post was pretty clear.

Well technically I wasn't…

I saw that as asking whether 9 zeros (a.k.a the american billion) or 12 zeros (the old British billion).

I'm not being a sore loser. I make a joke and apparently it was misunderstood. Like you said, it's just an avatar, so no idea why people are so keen on jumping down my throats cos they misunderstood.
If it was a joke you shouldnt have posted in all caps "FOR" as SweetNicole made clear that is to indicate whether you are in for the avatar bet.

You lost.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It won't, and I would like to see the math of how you get there, but that aside, if you want to wait til the end of the BO run that is fine, but you'll still have to put the avatar on for a month at that time (end of BO run) per the original rules of the bet. Or you could concede now, put it on a for a month, and be done with it. Choice is yours.
i never said it would get there after this weekends performance. i'm just honoring the bet that was made and will gladly sport the new avatar after Detective Pikachu leaves the box office. you just don't change the terms and conditions of a bet after it's been made.

Also idk why people keep asking for the math on this, it's basic algebra... $1BN = X + Y where X is equal to the current total. You solve for Y and people spend that much money. the math checks out.

If anyone could give me a date when it's out of theaters that would be great, thanks

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i never said it would get there after this weekends performance. i'm just honoring the bet that was made and will gladly sport the new avatar after Detective Pikachu leaves the box office. you just don't change the terms and conditions of a bet after it's been made.

Also idk why people keep asking for the math on this, it's basic algebra... $1BN = X + Y where X is equal to the current total. You solve for Y and people spend that much money. the math checks out.

If anyone could give me a date when it's out of theaters that would be great, thanks
Math as in clearly lay out a realistic path given the movie's numbers so far that would lead it to $1B.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"please put FOR or AGAINST in your post in order to be counted"

"It will make a billion yen so FOR"

"Ok change your avatar"

"But it was just a joke"

Kmdz.gif

There was one condition laid out in the OP for your post to be counted and it was followed so...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely disappointed in how few people have changed their avatar.

Everyone please @ and shame these members who are too chicken to pay up and change their avatars after making the bet now that they lost.
Y'all realize no one sent a message out, right? Given that the terms were

If, by the end of its box office run, Detective Pikachu has grossed less than 1B worldwide, those who bet AGAINST 1B WW get to chose the collective avatar of the other side.
How was anyone to know to check in now?

Anyways, I'll switch mine when it fails to make it at the end of its run as originally agreed upon. That way y'all can still be having your fun a month or two from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.