• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit is currently being shown off at preview events where journalists can play a bigger chunk of the game. Impressions are currently still embargoed, but a few nuggets came out regardless:
https://twitter.com/rodneilquiteles/status/984671163728019456
screenshot_6rase1.png

To really hammer the choice aspect home Quantic Dream allows you to view a flowchart of every chapter this time around with your chosen path highlighted and missed branches greyed out without further spoilers on them. You can even jump back to key divergence points instead of having to replay the entire chapter as was required with their prior games. Additionally you can also display statistics how other players chose.

Very cool feature in my opinion and shows they really are confident in their branches being significant enough for every chapter to highlight them in this way.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool feature as no doubt there will be tons of moments I want to go back to just to rewatch or try different choices and see what happens.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they implemented this. This feature will get a shit ton of usage, that's for sure.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Ooooh yes!!!

Ya'll don't even know what you guys are getting yourself into. Damn, prepare for all of us to be excited!!!!!

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Doesn't this undermine "choices matter"? It's a cool feature though.
Not really, I don't think many people are going to stop their current path to go try and look for better options. There's always been ways to go back and make different choices, this just shows you how many different paths you can take.

Makes it a lot easier for those going for trophies after their first playthrough or if you're interested in seeing how the game plays out in different ways.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Quantum break already did this, no ? I think they did
Well nobody is claiming this is the first game to do this so...

Also no, it did not

If the player did not like the consequences of their choices, they would be able to return to the past gameplay segment and revert the changes.[2] Eventually, Remedy Entertainment felt the idea behind the original Junction concept was too confusing and would create conflict with the established rules of their time travel story (closed loops and not being able to change the past).[2]

Lastly, Quantum Break was an amazing game but the choices implementation in Detroit shit all over it. Not that it matters because both games are completely different.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. Reminds me of the change from 999 to VLR and ZTD. The former was a pain in the ass to replay while the latter were a lot easier to get the different endings etc.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Cool feature! Not having to replay the chapter to make another choice is a reaaaly time saving feature. I wonder what happens after that though. Does the work we did on the previous choice all get erased and we start new from the new choice? Or can we jump between them?(like playing the new chapter that arises with the new choice and also being able to go back to old chapter where I chose something different and progressed). I liked heavy rain A LOT beyond as well but not as much. I hope this is awesome!

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Every narrative based games like this shoukd have this feature really. It makes replaying quicker.

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Doesn't this undermine "choices matter"? It's a cool feature though.
Well you can choose to not pay any attention to it and just do your personal playthrough. Which I will certainly do and probably consider my canon playthrough of the game. But afterwards I don't really mind going back and trying other paths, it doesn't ruin my original run in my eyes. But of course you can decide to stick with it and leave the game there too

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty neat. It would've been annoying if I had to redo an entire chapter to make a different choice.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Neat. The Zero Escape games have a feature like this. It'll be interesting to see just how much you can change over the course of the game.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is great. I think visual novels do this, too. I'll be playing "pure" first time around, but this is going to be a brilliant way of going back and seeing how things could have been different.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little put off by the expose on Cage, but I was in the minority on here that was excited for this game before that. Maybe I'll still check it out if it reviews well. If it's more like Heavy Rain them this is what I want to see continue to exist in the games space.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm a little put off by the expose on Cage, but I was in the minority on here that was excited for this game before that. Maybe I'll still check it out if it reviews well. If it's more like Heavy Rain them this is what I want to see continue to exist in the games space.

The game was voted the 6th most anticipated release of 2018 by this very community. You're hardly in the minority.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're either really confident that they nailed meaningful choices this time or this is going to be a huge mistake that will let people see behind the curtain.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
That's great.. It's like loading to any checkpoint that we want instead of starting to a new chapter freshly.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have felt all these games should have had this feature from the beginning of these games. If I want to see everything in a game like this a chart is necessary.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Okay that's an awesome way to save the time of having to play through all the little stuff to see the big impact stuff.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Playing 999 then VLR shows how this feature is a must in every game with extensively branching paths. Will going back and changing only the few different segments change the whole story forward or is playing the whole story again required?

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent.

I remember panicking and hitting the power button on my PS3 after unbearable mistakes in Heavy Rain.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Excellent.
Managing save files has always been my biggest headsche whenever I play visual novels because I'd pick a choice and start thinking what if 5 minutes later.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
does the game even really happen then? maybe its all just the predictive simulation of one android

an android named Tommy Westphall

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
It's interesting although i will probably never use it.
When i play choice based game,i make the choice i want to do.No need to see "other choices" in my playthrough.
If i replay the game,i will probably do the same choices.

But i can watch someone making different choices.